PDA

View Full Version : Scarf....do I need to worry about it thinning my nape hair?

shikara
March 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like to wear scarves daily - kind of gypsy style. Whether a scarf is tied loosely,medium, or snuggly, it seems there will be minute movement of it against your nape area when you turn your head in different directions. Would you concern yourself about breakage or thinning hair? I'm not sure I should since many, for cultural or religious reasons, wear scarves a lot, but I guess I'm looking either for reassurance, or methods to control these movements. Any comments?

phistash
March 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Get some of these:

http://www.tansclub.com/tecoheandwr.html

Simple, cheap cotton headbands; you can get them at any drugstore. They keep the scarves in place (no slipping around), and more importantly, they keep the pressure distributed evenly, so you don't get bald spots.

I've been wearing scarves for years, although not every day.

shikara
March 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Well, I've come up with a couple things and thought I'd put them in in case anyone is ever looking for another answer!! First of all, it is likely less damaging than even friction that would be caused by a braid's movement on collars and other fabric , (and then there's potential damage from whatever you use to secure the braid), and I've been wearing a braid for years. Also, today I didn't tie a knot with the scarf, instead I used a barrette to secure it and that has made a world of difference (less bulk and weight). Now I'm looking forward to getting and displaying some of the beautiful barrettes that I would never actually put in my hair!!! Oh yeah, over the past few months I had purchased a number of headbands but they were all sooooo tight and rode up way too high at the back. Are they all made for petite people or what? I am 5'8" but I have a very fine bone structure, plus they are stretchy so I never expected such an issue with them.....c'est la vie...