PDA

View Full Version : it takes ages to go from bald to hair

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

It takes ages to go back to long hair after my headshave. I have to say that i don't eat a lot of vegetables and i don't like drinking water. Would it help my hair to grow faster when i do? I am going on a healthy diet on monday. Not to lose weight, but to get more healthy in general. I eat cookies the whole day and love pizza. hahahaha.

my bald picture and what it looks like now. I just had a haircut, and i don't like it, But maybe the healthy diet and summer will make it grow faster??? I hope so

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
oops, why are the pictures zo big???

Purdy Bear
March 19th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I certainly think that good nutrition is a must for growing hair. Some of the other members are trying out various things so take a look for:

MSM
DE
Biotin

NouvelleNymphe2
March 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Welcome:blossom: I eat a lot of peanut butter, take a good daily multi vitamin, and sometimes a Biotin or another B vitamin (but the B vitamins not on a regular basis). I also put a ton of vitamin ovaltine in my chocolate milk! And I LOVE 100% juices and smoothies. I also try and stay active, break a sweat once a day walking or jogging. My hair grows pretty fast, so I think all this helps. Oh, and by the way, you have BEAUTIFUL features! You look pretty even with a shaved head!

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Welcome:blossom: I eat a lot of peanut butter, take a good daily multi vitamin, and sometimes a Biotin or another B vitamin (but the B vitamins not on a regular basis). I also put a ton of vitamin ovaltine in my chocolate milk! And I LOVE 100% juices and smoothies. I also try and stay active, break a sweat once a day walking or jogging. My hair grows pretty fast, so I think all this helps. Oh, and by the way, you have BEAUTIFUL features! You look pretty even with a shaved head!

peanut butter and putting vitamine in my chocolate milk... That sounds great and tasty....

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Please do not take advice on nutrition from unqualified people on a message board; it is not always safe or effective to supplement random vitamins or minerals. You are spot on to think of a healthy diet, if your body is deficient in any essential nutrient it will prioritise essential bodily functions, not hair growth. I suggest speaking to an appropriately qualified health professional or reading your health service or government websites.

jaine
March 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I think that looks like a totally normal growth rate, and your hair looks great!

HintOfMint
March 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Please do not take advice on nutrition from unqualified people on a message board; it is not always safe or effective to supplement random vitamins or minerals. You are spot on to think of a healthy diet, if your body is deficient in any essential nutrient it will prioritise essential bodily functions, not hair growth. I suggest speaking to an appropriately qualified health professional or reading your health service or government websites.

I second this.

Also your pixie is ADORABLE!

Yozhik
March 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
You look great both with your shaved head and your great pixie now!

Good luck with the growing; I'll echo what others have said regarding overall healthy nutrition. :)

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM

thanks, i didn't know

Scarlet_Heart
March 19th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I advocate Biotin (5,000 mcg) and Folic Acid. Sometimes you hear people say their hair grew really fast when they were on prenatal vitamins. But folic acid is the thing in prenatals that causes that. If you take prenatals and aren't pregnant, you'll probably get constipated from the extra iron so just skip all the other stuff and get the folic acid.

But good for you for getting healthy! It certainly won't hurt your hair to eat right!

Grejs
March 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wow, the pixie cut really suits you. The colour is lovely as well. :)

I don't really have any advice to give when it comes to nutrition, since im no expert. Just wanted to compliment you on your hairstyle :p

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I advocate Biotin (5,000 mcg) and Folic Acid. Sometimes you hear people say their hair grew really fast when they were on prenatal vitamins. But folic acid is the thing in prenatals that causes that. If you take prenatals and aren't pregnant, you'll probably get constipated from the extra iron so just skip all the other stuff and get the folic acid.

But good for you for getting healthy! It certainly won't hurt your hair to eat right!

:brickwall Please do not advocate people take massive doses or individual nutrients. You know nothing about the OPs health and you haven't bothered to find out what the maximum recommendation is!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74

spidermom
March 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Drinking water helps, too. It is absolutely essential to all the body's functions, including growing hair. Start slow; maybe set a goal to have 1 cup of water before each meal (for example).

If you don't like the taste, get a water filter. Try it cold, warm, and room temperature. If you must, flavor it with something. But get in the habit of drinking water. It is the one thing that you cannot live without.

Fresh juice (not from concentrate) is a good way to get both water and nutrition.

Roseate
March 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
It does take ages, doesn't it! You're looking good, though.

Nothing I've ever done has sped up my growth rate at all, nor slowed it down for that matter. It just plods along at its own pace. Cover your nutritional and hydration needs, and settle in for the long haul.

oktobergoud
March 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have to say that your bald head looked AMAZING! Very striking :)
But yeah, I can imagine that it feels like it's taking FOREVER. I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and it feels like it will take forever as well.. sigh :P

But more water and healthy diet will be very good for your body and I think that will show off in your hair :) It might grow faster!

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I have to say that your bald head looked AMAZING! Very striking :)
But yeah, I can imagine that it feels like it's taking FOREVER. I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and it feels like it will take forever as well.. sigh :P

But more water and healthy diet will be very good for your body and I think that will show off in your hair :) It might grow faster!

well, i actually liked the bald look more than my pixie hair right now. very easy it was. But i like to have long hair again. Will there be a time?? hahaha

Dina L.
March 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
well, i actually liked the bald look more than my pixie hair right now. very easy it was. But i like to have long hair again. Will there be a time?? hahaha
Hi! Beyond what the others said, I'd suggest scalp massage and castor oil mask to grow your hair faster: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265 :cool:

turtlelover
March 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
You could pull off just about any hairdo because you have great facial features. Enjoy your journey to long hair, and just focus on the best nutrition possible w/ healthy foods.

BranwenWolf
March 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Looks like normal growth to me. You are very lovely!

summerjade
March 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
What a beautiful face and those eyes!! Gorgeous. You look great without much hair!!!

Capybara
March 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I just wanted to say that I think your hair looks fantastic :)

Vorvolaka
March 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
You really suit a pixie. I love it!

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks you all, I just wish i liked it too, but i really think my face is to big for this short hair, bit maybe i am too hard on myself, i dont know. Just have to be patient.

Does hair really grow faster in summer time?

spidermom
March 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM
My hair doesn't grow fastest in the summer time. Growth is steady March - October, then it slows down November - February.

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Prenatal vitamins should not constipate you if you are eating at least the recommended amount of fiber. All women of child bearing ages should be on prenatal vitamins.

Even when eating a healthy well balanced meal humans should have a muti vitamin. It is extremely difficult to consume by eating all the vitamins and nutrients the body need (even when one is eating a healthy well balanced diet). According to the text my holistic nutrition books from my nutrition master's program and most notable nutrition men, women and children are often missing important vitamins. With that said it is very important to know the amount of each vitamins you body needs to function at it's best. Over doing vitamins can have horrible affects on the live, blood, skin and other major organs.

You hair look really cute and healthy :)

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Prenatal vitamins should not constipate you if you are eating at least the recommended amount of fiber. All women of child bearing ages should be on prenatal vitamins.

Why? :confused: Not all women of child-bearing age are fertile, many are using birth control, not all intend to increase their family, many choose to be child-free, and it is increasingly common to to be single/ celibate for large parts of the child bearing years. IIRC 20% of women in the UK and US never breed; this figure rises to almost 40% in graduates.

Even when eating a healthy well balanced meal humans should have a muti vitamin. It is extremely difficult to consume by eating all the vitamins and nutrients the body need (even when one is eating a healthy well balanced diet). According to the text my holistic nutrition books from my nutrition master's program and most notable nutrition men, women and children are often missing important vitamins.

Which specific vitamins are missing from a healthy balanced diet? Would you point me in the direction of the research that your holistic text cites, please, and supply the reference for the book you refer to? I can't see any reason to advocate a multi-vitamin for all, when minerals (esp. magnesium) and essential fatty acids (esp. omega-3) are at least as important and more likely to be deficient in the Western diet. :confused:

RoachTippy
March 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM
It is a pain growing hair out after you've shaved it all off.....I speak from experience. I did it once in 2004 and again in 2008. The first time I grew it out to about CBL and it's still growing now after the second time I shaved it....I'm now at APL. My diet both times growing my hair out was not healthy by any means. The only thing I was good at was drinking pleanty of water and my hair grew just fine. I find that the PERCEPTION of slow growth or fast growth has a lot to do with my mood during different stages of growth. If I'm happy with the stage I'm at the growth seem faster....if I don't like the stage I'm at the growth seems slower. Just keep telling your self "This awkward hair stage will pass.......This awkward hair stage will pass". Hang in there and good luck!

ikke1978
March 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM
It is a pain growing hair out after you've shaved it all off.....I speak from experience. I did it once in 2004 and again in 2008. The first time I grew it out to about CBL and it's still growing now after the second time I shaved it....I'm now at APL. My diet both times growing my hair out was not healthy by any means. The only thing I was good at was drinking pleanty of water and my hair grew just fine. I find that the PERCEPTION of slow growth or fast growth has a lot to do with my mood during different stages of growth. If I'm happy with the stage I'm at the growth seem faster....if I don't like the stage I'm at the growth seems slower. Just keep telling your self "This awkward hair stage will pass.......This awkward hair stage will pass". Hang in there and good luck!

hahaha, yes you are right... I have to tell myself: This awkward hair stage will pass.... before running to a hairdresser everytime i hate my hair... hahaha...They never will get what i want with my hair.

Signe
March 19th, 2011, 06:24 PM
OMG you are so cute! :)

RoachTippy
March 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
hahaha, yes you are right... I have to tell myself: This awkward hair stage will pass.... before running to a hairdresser everytime i hate my hair... hahaha...They never will get what i want with my hair.

Especially if you don't know yourself, what you want with your hair. All you know is that you don't like it. I think if you don't like your hair but you don't know want you want to do with it the best thing to do is nothing. Try to ignor it for a while. I know it's hard but what's harder still is if you do something you regret and end up wishing you would have just left your hair alone.

Is this the first time you've shaved your head? And/Or the first time you've grown it out from a pixie cut?

ems
March 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Even when eating a healthy well balanced meal humans should have a muti vitamin. It is extremely difficult to consume by eating all the vitamins and nutrients the body need (even when one is eating a healthy well balanced diet). According to the text my holistic nutrition books from my nutrition master's program and most notable nutrition men, women and children are often missing important vitamins. With that said it is very important to know the amount of each vitamins you body needs to function at it's best. Over doing vitamins can have horrible affects on the live, blood, skin and other major organs.

From what I've read, this is not true. A well balanced died should cover all nutrient unless there's something making your body not taking it. In a study they found breast cancer to be more common with women taking prenatal vitamins long term (possibly because of the folic acid). It's probably better to just get your levels tested.
In Scandinavia, many people are defficient in D-vitamin though, because we're not exposed to enough sun half the year..

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM
SImply because you don't plan on having children, or are protecting yourself from having children does not mean that you will not become pregnant. A lot a of women who are told they can not become pregnant by reputable doctors who truly believe the women are infertile can still and on many occasions become pregnant. This is why nutritionist recommend that women of child baring age take them.

when i am said my holistic nutrition text. I am talking about many text books I have for my master's in nutrition.

One of these books I am talking about is,The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health...
another is- Health and Nutrition Secrets.

Multi vitamins are not exactly something you NEED...

I have not finished my masters in nutrition so I am not a certified nutrition so I would never tell people what that I recommend you do this or that. However there are many books and information from nutrition out that were this type of info is easily learned.

Here are some internet sources that explains a little bit about women and vitamins.http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/folic-acid.cfm
http://www.livestrong.com/article/381004-should-non-pregnant-women-take-prenatal-vitamins/

With all this said it isn't mandatory that anyone take any vitamins unless one is deficient in any. But for optimum health (you body to run at it's best) a multi vitamin or prenatal would be very beneficial...
For example 3/4s of us tens and adults are deficient in vitamin D...

Omega 3 is very important to human health... It helps protect the brain from the many nueortoxins we are exposed to on in every day life... There are many vitamins that the human body doesn't need to survive but having them could change your life significantly for the better.

here is a little more on the benefits of Omega 3 http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

I strongly believe in people taking care of themselves and educating themselves before taking anything anyone says even if your doctor or nutrition or health provider tells you too and especially if someone online does... The great thing is there is so much information based on statistical data.

In my opinion the best source of information the best (text book) I ever purchased for my classes is Staying Healthy with Nutrition: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine By Dr. Haas. This book is simply amazing! I absolutely love this. This book pretty much has all the information you could probably as for about nutrition and optimum health. This one specifically states that no one could possibly get all the nutrients a person needs even when eating a healthy well balanced meal.. This book used knowledge both from wester medicine and statistical data and ancient traditional "eastern" medicine. If anyone ever asked me which book I recommend to know more about nutrition it would be this one.

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Ems. I have have not heard that about the connection with prenatal vitamins connected to breast cancer.Very interesting all the test I have been made to study seem to not include even an inkling of this. perhaps I have over looked this. It will def be something I look into.

The Vitamin D decency - 3 quarters of American teens and adults are also deficient in vitamin D. All it takes in 5-10 minutes of being exposed to sunlight to get the amount one needs on a daily basis. This is including while sitting next to a window during sunlight, driving during sun light, or walking... So it is very bizarre that this is happening in the US... There is enough sun light all year round.

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Oh i also wanted to make sure that you all no I am in no way trying to be rude. I know that things can get lost or misunderstood online and sometimes what I say can come out sort of snobbish... In all my post i am saying with great respect towards everyone. I have great respect for everyone here.

Toadstool
March 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I know it is best to get tested before taking extra iron, because too much iron can be FATAL.

You are so beautiful!

ems
March 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Ems. I have have not heard that about the connection with prenatal vitamins connected to breast cancer.Very interesting all the test I have been made to study seem to not include even an inkling of this. perhaps I have over looked this. It will def be something I look into.

The Vitamin D decency - 3 quarters of American teens and adults are also deficient in vitamin D. All it takes in 5-10 minutes of being exposed to sunlight to get the amount one needs on a daily basis. This is including while sitting next to a window during sunlight, driving during sun light, or walking... So it is very bizarre that this is happening in the US... There is enough sun light all year round.

Well, prenatal vitamins are just vitamins so that's what they think it was connected with (and they thought it could be the high doses of folic acid ). I think the study showed 19% increased risk for women who ate them. I don't remenber any names, sorry, but the study was conducted by Karolinska Institutet and published in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition if you wanted to look for it.

ETA: about vitamin D; wouldn't windows take away the UV-radiation?!

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Yes taking iron can be very bad. And checking all your levels would be very good.

i will def look into the prenatal connection a 19% risk increase is VERY high and scary. So i will def research that, because i take prenatal vitamins ( I dont tak them daily but pretty often)

liselle
March 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think you are stunning too.
Not many people can pull off the shaved look.... but honestly you look so pretty.

And the pixie cut is simply adorable.

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

ems
March 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
On topic - I think you look great too! :) Both shaved and with the pixie. I love your cheekbones!

Jadelyn
March 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
All women of child bearing ages should be on prenatal vitamins.

Frankly, this smacks of treating women as "potential incubators" rather than INDIVIDUALS with varying life circumstances. For example, I will never need prenatals, because even if I were to get pregnant, I sure as heck wouldn't stay that way. So to make a blanket statement that "all women should be on prenatal vitamins all the time JUST IN CASE" is incredibly presumptuous and willfully disregards quite a number of women's life circumstances and choices, and is a symptom of a culture which seeks to control and medicalize women's bodies and lives as being all! about! babies! all the time, whether a woman ever desires to use her body for that purpose or not. It's highly unlikely that a pregnancy will come to serious harm simply because the woman didn't start taking prenatals until she knew she was pregnant, probably six to eight weeks in or so, so recommending that all women always take prenatal vitamins is unnecessary.

Apologies that my first post on this forum should be so combative, but honestly, statements/attitudes like the one quoted make me see red. And, hello, everyone. ^_^

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM
It is all based on statistical data gathered by scientist and doctors. The fact is a baby depletes the mother of certain vitamins during pregnancy... Prenatal vitamins are as much for the mother as for a growing baby... The development of a fetus eats alway the calcium in a women's body... Your statement about wmen being incubators has nothing to do with what I said. You seem to be bringing something from a problem you are having that has nothing to do with prenatal vitamins. I would hope that a women even if she is going to abort the baby/fetus would take prenatal so that her levels do not go down. I think women should well inform themselves of what happens to owns body... No matter what walks of life you come from it is always possible to get pregnant... I can go in to detail when i mean ALL WALKS OF LIFE. Pregnancy is def avoidable but there is always possibilities no matter who you are if you are of child bearing age.. no mater what type of life you lead... My statement in no way is bringing down women... Knowledge is empowerment... And I am stating that in my studies of nutrition and in my working with nutrition's and in my reading statistical data, and in the many books, and articles i have read... I have read over and over again this statement... If you would like to be combative over something that has nothing to do with what I said, then have fun.

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
yes you are def GORGEOUS! :) I really love that you can pull off pretty much any look and look so beautiful! :)

Mesmerise
March 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
It is all based on statistical data gathered by scientist and doctors. The fact is a baby depletes the mother of certain vitamins during pregnancy... Prenatal vitamins are as much for the mother as for a growing baby... The development of a fetus eats alway the calcium in a women's body... Your statement about wmen being incubators has nothing to do with what I said. You seem to be bringing something from a problem you are having that has nothing to do with prenatal vitamins. I would hope that a women even if she is going to abort the baby/fetus would take prenatal so that her levels do not go down. I think women should well inform themselves of what happens to owns body... No matter what walks of life you come from it is always possible to get pregnant... I can go in to detail when i mean ALL WALKS OF LIFE. Pregnancy is def avoidable but there is always possibilities no matter who you are if you are of child bearing age.. no mater what type of life you lead... My statement in no way is bringing down women... Knowledge is empowerment... And I am stating that in my studies of nutrition and in my working with nutrition's and in my reading statistical data, and in the many books, and articles i have read... I have read over and over again this statement... If you would like to be combative over something that has nothing to do with what I said, then have fun.

On the other hand, people survived for thousands of years (longer actually) without prenatal vitamins at all, and in those days of no contraception women tended to have a LOT more kids! I'm fairly sure I wasn't on prenatal vitamins when I had my first child (or at least got pregnant!)

I'm not disagreeing with you in the sense that it IS recommended...but yeah, some women will never get pregnant and will never have a child, so many get a little bit hot under the collar by the assumption that they COULD or that they should do something "just in case" and I get that. I no longer take prenatal vitamins as I'm not having any more kids even though I'm still technically "of child bearing age".

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Very true Mesmerise. But I also believe that they mortality rate during pregnancy for both women and child was higher. Women also died a lot younger. This of course not exclusively because of depleted vitamins but for many reason...

I totally understand that there are women who don't want children. My very best friend says she never ever wants children. If she ever changes her mind she said she'd adopt but as far as ever staying pregnant she would never stay that way.

truth is even when women deiced to abort vitamins will be depleted and calcium in women is soo important SO important. I am just talking nutrition.

I take prenatal vitamins, I have PCOS and have protected sex... I don't plan on being pregnant. I am not ready to have a baby, but life happens... I take prenatal for the added health benefits. I love the way I feel, I love the way my hair and skin feels when I take then for a while.
though it is true that these studies are done on what society considers the average women. Also i am a big advocate in taking care of your own health by listening to you body and empowering yourself with knowledge.

Fufu
March 20th, 2011, 02:13 AM
You look great :)

Enjoy the journey to long hair, your hair growth seems normal to me as well.

Toadstool
March 20th, 2011, 04:21 AM
It is all based on statistical data gathered by scientist and doctors. The fact is a baby depletes the mother of certain vitamins during pregnancy... Prenatal vitamins are as much for the mother as for a growing baby... The development of a fetus eats alway the calcium in a women's body... Your statement about wmen being incubators has nothing to do with what I said. You seem to be bringing something from a problem you are having that has nothing to do with prenatal vitamins. I would hope that a women even if she is going to abort the baby/fetus would take prenatal so that her levels do not go down. I think women should well inform themselves of what happens to owns body... No matter what walks of life you come from it is always possible to get pregnant... I can go in to detail when i mean ALL WALKS OF LIFE. Pregnancy is def avoidable but there is always possibilities no matter who you are if you are of child bearing age.. no mater what type of life you lead... .

I think I get what you are saying, do you mean in circumstances of rape? Because of course women who are lesbians or celibate would not become pregnant otherwise.

mrs_coffee
March 20th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Good basic nutrition. Lots of fresh veg, complete proteins, water, and adequate sleep will help you all the way around. Talking to a health professional to learn about nutrition is never a bad idea.

I have a degree in nutrition, but for obvious reasons I don't counsel people over the internet. Nutritional needs can be very individual. If you're concerned about your overall health and nutrition it wouldn't hurt to have your blood tested by your doctor.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Well ge whiz g/f?? I mean from a buzz to long when you start from nothin?? Hair grows an average of .5 inches a month? I think you have made great progress! <hug>

pepperminttea
March 20th, 2011, 05:46 AM
You look adorable with your shaved head and pixie; your eyes really "pop"! :)

Agreed. "Water-soluble" doesn't mean it's okay to take frighteningly large doses of. (There's a very informative post about Biotin in particular here (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html).)

PeacenQuietGal
March 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Just wanted to tell the OP a little saying that I heard from a (somewhat Chauvenistic) man that I think is true. He said "Meh, pretty girls - it doesn't matter what they do with their hair."

I think that with your pretty face and features -he's kinda right!

But, enjoy your hair journey! And, enjoy that God given beauty too!

oh but pls don't do anything drastic to your natural pretty eyebrows!! Don't! Okay? Lol!

CurlyCyndi
March 20th, 2011, 06:05 AM
toadstool- Yes rape is one of them, but there are many possibilities. It is sad but true. Though in the US (and many other countries) we have the after pill available (for some this is not an option).

ikke1978
March 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Especially if you don't know yourself, what you want with your hair. All you know is that you don't like it. I think if you don't like your hair but you don't know want you want to do with it the best thing to do is nothing. Try to ignor it for a while. I know it's hard but what's harder still is if you do something you regret and end up wishing you would have just left your hair alone.

Is this the first time you've shaved your head? And/Or the first time you've grown it out from a pixie cut?

You are absolutely right. I always end up going to a hairdresser wanting it like mia farrow or jean seberg, but it they never get what i mean and it always ends in disaster. That is why i can't wait for it to be long again... so i have no more of those disasters hahaha

and yes it was the first time i shaved my head, i don't think i will do it again... hahaha

ikke1978
March 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Just wanted to tell the OP a little saying that I heard from a (somewhat Chauvenistic) man that I think is true. He said "Meh, pretty girls - it doesn't matter what they do with their hair."

I think that with your pretty face and features -he's kinda right!

But, enjoy your hair journey! And, enjoy that God given beauty too!

oh but pls don't do anything drastic to your natural pretty eyebrows!! Don't! Okay? Lol!

Hahaha, thanks..

My eyebrows are still recovering, but almost back to normal now. Won't go there again.. hahaha

ikke1978
March 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Yes taking iron can be very bad. And checking all your levels would be very good.

i will def look into the prenatal connection a 19% risk increase is VERY high and scary. So i will def research that, because i take prenatal vitamins ( I dont tak them daily but pretty often)

I am going to check all my levels... and see what is missing... hahaa.. or not. Guess that is the best way??!!

akka naeda
March 20th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Personally I wouldn't worry. I had a bad diet when my hair was buzzed like yours, it took perhaps 2 years to get it to BSL.

RoachTippy
March 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
You are absolutely right. I always end up going to a hairdresser wanting it like mia farrow or jean seberg, but it they never get what i mean and it always ends in disaster. That is why i can't wait for it to be long again... so i have no more of those disasters hahaha

and yes it was the first time i shaved my head, i don't think i will do it again... hahaha

Oh yeah....I've done that too, trying to get my short pixie hair to look like some actress or some other random person. But what I found is that my hair type just didn't allow me to get some of the looks I wanted. I love how some girls hair will lay down even at a very short length were as mine wanted to stand straight up until it was like almost two inches. Just goes to show you that there is hair type envey at any length. ;)

ems
March 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Do you bring photos, and rather from all angels, to the stylist?

enfys
March 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Wow you look stunning! So pretty!

Yes, it will take you more time to get long hair but you fund this site at the right time; all your hair will get the same great treatment.

As well as fruit and veg and water, try increasing your protein intake too as hair needs protein to grow. I try to eat a lot of eggs; nice and easy source.

Maggie May
March 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
You are gorgeous! :) I recommend looking into the raw vegan diet. I have been a raw vegan for 1.75 years and my hair seems to be growing super fast. I am also doing regular frequent micro trims on "days for growth", according to the farmers almanac. http://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable
Cheers!

ikke1978
March 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Do you bring photos, and rather from all angels, to the stylist?

yes, i do, but often they don't really seem to listen or look at the picture, because it always ends up different, but maybe my hair type is different.. and ofcourse everone has different features, so it will never look the same... i guess

ikke1978
March 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Wow you look stunning! So pretty!

Yes, it will take you more time to get long hair but you fund this site at the right time; all your hair will get the same great treatment.

As well as fruit and veg and water, try increasing your protein intake too as hair needs protein to grow. I try to eat a lot of eggs; nice and easy source.

Thanks..I will def. go for the eggs. i love eggs..Tomorrow i will start a good healthy diet.. no more junk food... hahaha

ikke1978
March 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
You are gorgeous! :) I recommend looking into the raw vegan diet. I have been a raw vegan for 1.75 years and my hair seems to be growing super fast. I am also doing regular frequent micro trims on "days for growth", according to the farmers almanac. http://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable
Cheers!

a raw vegan diet... I have to google that... hahaha... thanks for the advice

jojo
March 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
:brickwall Please do not advocate people take massive doses or individual nutrients. You know nothing about the OPs health and you haven't bothered to find out what the maximum recommendation is!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74
I second this, too much biotin pushed me into mild renal failure; not nice. Please get your nutrients from food not pills, this will not only be good for your hair but will teach you healthier habits for life.

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
SImply because you don't plan on having children, or are protecting yourself from having children does not mean that you will not become pregnant. A lot a of women who are told they can not become pregnant by reputable doctors who truly believe the women are infertile can still and on many occasions become pregnant. This is why nutritionist recommend that women of child baring age take them.

In the UK the title 'nutritionist' has no standing - any charlatan can set themselves up as one. We have state-registered dieticians who have studied dietetics to degree/ masters level, have completed a rigorous pre-registration period in practice and must undertake recognised Continuing Professional Development throughout their career. Dieticians DO NOT recommend prenatal supplements are taken by all women of child-bearing age. This is based on NICE guidelines and NHS policy which is, in turn, decided by panels of eminent health professionals based on all the available research.

I've managed to get to the grand age of 38 without falling pregnant, as do 40&#37; of female graduates in the UK and almost every British girls from South Asian families. In some cases it's more than the latter's lives are worth to get caught with prenatal supplements, contraceptives, or fall pregnant. In the field of public health it is considered vital to take cultural issues into consideration before doling out health advice. If I did miraculously fall pregnant whist using TWO forms of contraception OR whilst celibate I would have an early abortion - either because the sex was non-consensual, because of the effect of my medication on the foetus and the risks to my mental wellbeing should the pregnancy go to term or I cease the medication. If I was paying you as my 'nutritionist' I'd expect you to know all of that BEFORE you started advocating supplements!

when i am said my holistic nutrition text. I am talking about many text books I have for my master's in nutrition.

One of these books I am talking about is,The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health...
another is- Health and Nutrition Secrets.

:confused: At which educational establishment are you studying a masters that this quality of information is acceptable? In the UK these books could not be referenced at undergraduate level, except for public health students to critique. Simply because they are not peer reviewed (cf. publishing house) and are written for public consumption. And what educational establishment doesn't insist on the Harvard referencing system? Surely you learned that, or the equivalent, in your first degree? BTW I have a copy of 'The China Study', along with 'The Magnesium Miracle' (Carolyn Dean, Ballantine) , 'Sugars that Heal' (Emil Mondoa, Ballantine) and 'Bad Science' (Ben Goldacre, Harper Perennial). The latter's critique of 'Dr.' Gillian McKeith is why the book was gifted to me, I highly recommend it. ;)

Multi vitamins are not exactly something you NEED...

I have not finished my masters in nutrition so I am not a certified nutrition so I would never tell people what that I recommend you do this or that. However there are many books and information from nutrition out that were this type of info is easily learned.

Holistic healthcare is about treating the whole person based on individual needs, NOT putting all women of child-bearing age or all teens into a pigeon hole! I don't claim to be a dietician but I have taken nutrition modules at degree level, I hold recognised qualifications that mean I can give nutritional advice, and have been doing so for a number of years. I've never met an NHS dietician or anyone working in physical activity that gives anything other than tailored advice, that means looking at the lifestyle and diet of that individual and of their household.

Omega 3 is very important to human health... It helps protect the brain from the many nueortoxins we are exposed to on in every day life... There are many vitamins that the human body doesn't need to survive but having them could change your life significantly for the better.

here is a little more on the benefits of Omega 3 http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

In my opinion the best source of information the best (text book) I ever purchased for my classes is Staying Healthy with Nutrition: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine By Dr. Haas. This book is simply amazing! I absolutely love this. This book pretty much has all the information you could probably as for about nutrition and optimum health. This one specifically states that no one could possibly get all the nutrients a person needs even when eating a healthy well balanced meal.. This book used knowledge both from wester medicine and statistical data and ancient traditional "eastern" medicine. If anyone ever asked me which book I recommend to know more about nutrition it would be this one.

Once again NOT a textbook but a commercial book. I took the liberty of Googling the publisher - health professionals consider nutrition to be a science not a 'Celestial Art'. :p Effective research is about knowing the risks as well as the benefits, it worries me you are completely ignoring that. Try the Reports of the Surgeon General, the World Health Report (WHO) UK white paper 'At Least Five a Day' or the health surveys published by the National Centre for Social Research (UK). These will supply you with accurate and unbiased statistical data.

There are many professional athletes and their health advisors would disagree with your assertion that you cannot get all the nutrients required from whole foods - not all pop pills and plenty are vegetarian. :hollie: Try reading 'Power Eating' by Susan Kleiner (Human Kinetics), 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' by Enette Larson-Meyer (Human Kinetics) or any other text from that highly respected publishing house. Also research phytonutrients which you fail to mention once in all your talk of 'vitamins' (omega-3 is not a vitamin).

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Agreed. "Water-soluble" doesn't mean it's okay to take frighteningly large doses of. (There's a very informative post about Biotin in particular here (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html).)

Thanks for that link, it's been referred to on LHC but I failed to find it a couple of days back! :)

Lynda
March 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
From my experience, most doctors are clueless about nutrition.

Did you ever notice that the entire center of the American grocery store has every aisle lined with nutritionally poor over-processed grains?

jesis
March 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I personally think you have beautiful hair! Just saying :)

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Did you ever notice that the entire center of the American grocery store has every aisle lined with nutritionally poor over-processed grains?

Grains are what makes the profit. By the same token commercial dry cat food (even the premium stuff) is full of processed grains, yet cats are obligate carnivores and have no nutritional requirement for carbohydrates whatsoever. :(

fairystar32
March 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Your hair looks great :)
I am not an advocate of vitamins, I dont think that they can replace natural things in a lab and a lot contain dangerous additives or can become toxic. Eat a healthy diet, plenty of natural oils and fat such a coconut and nuts, vegetables and fruit (organic and raw if possible). Natural foods and seeds and fresh water, you body will thank you ;)

fairystar32
March 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
oh and I have had 4 wonderful healthy children without the need of artificial manmade suppliments.You can get vitamin A and D from the sun but if you have no sun then from cream, butter and eggs from grass fed organic animals ;)
I only advocate vitamins in certain situations when you have a health issue which warrants them.
You can grow the best vit C in your garden or in a patio tub ( natural capsicums)
I only take natural bacteria...Folic acid is very very very important. Deep green veg raw is the best source and the healthiest ;)

stuntpeople
March 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I eat a diet that's almost entirely meat-based with eggs, butter, bacon, and so much steak that I can donate blood to cattle now. I eat vegetables and fruits maybe 4 times per week. I don't consume grains or vegetable oils, my carb intake is about 75g/day or under, and I enjoy my coffee with tons of cream. I eat 1-2 meals per day. My hair seems to be growing just fine too, and my stomach looks pretty good to boot.

So my advice is this: most people don't understand diet, and there's no magic pill to grow hair better/stronger/faster. A grain- and soy-based diet that leads me straight to type II diabetes, but supposedly improves my sheen, isn't worth it to me. I see beautiful hair on fat people all the time.

GrowingGlory
March 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
NightBloomings Triple Moon Anointing Oil and Panacea's Summer Hair Salve seem to have increased the thickness and rate of growth of my hair over the 3.5 months that I have used them. So has drinking Get Growing tea, made by The Republic of Tea. You do look great even with a shaved head or a pixie cut, though. I also brush daily with a BBB and think that stimulates growth. HTH!

jeanniet
March 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM

With a little concerted effort it's not really that difficult, so I have to disagree with your books. I tracked my nutritional intake (including calories, protein, carbs, fiber, vitamins, and minerals) for about a year, and there were very few days where I didn't meet the requirements. What it takes is being conscious about what you eat, and avoiding processed foods. Once you know what to eat, eating right is really pretty easy. The average American diet is probably deficient, but that doesn't mean it's hard to do.

Americans are obsessed with vitamins; ironically so, considering how little heed is paid to a healthy diet. It's a huge industry, and the manufacturers aren't about to tell you how little you really need them. Eat a good variety of fruit, vegetables, beans, grains, and nuts (and meat/dairy if you eat those), and you'll be doing all right. There's nothing in a pill that is better than the real deal.

PurpleAshes
March 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
You looked wonderful bald. Makes me think of a ballerina!

Maggie May
March 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I too used to eat an entirely meat and vegetable based diet with little to no fruit for several years. I had read the blood type diet book and figured it was good for me since I'm an O+. It is a good thing I have always been very physically active and love to run.

After researching about the PH balance of the human body and it's ideal levels for maintaining health and preventing disease, I decided to become a "raw vegan". Also with cholesterol related heart disease being the NUMBER ONE cause of death, it made me question diet and I began to think about America and how it is by FAR the largest MEAT eating country in the world.... ;) :bull: Also, my hair is thicker and grows faster than ever. :blossom: I also don't consume grains, soy or oils as Stuntpeople had discussed. :o Well I do consume sprouted grains like wheatgrass and such and I would probably consider eating a raw organic soybean if I ever saw one.

ikke1978
April 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
oooow, i struggle with eating healthy... hahhaha...I just love everything that is not good....

mrsbob
April 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
I see beautiful hair on fat people all the time.

I recently just realized the same thing! That is so so true!!! Some of the most beautiful heads of hair are on larger girls...it just shows how much nutrition can affect our hair.

And...back to the original poster...you look absolutely amazing with a shaved head! And your progress picture is adorable! You're so pretty you can look great bald...not many people can pull that off!!! Good luck with the growth....just remember, you look good no matter what stage you're in! Lucky girl!