PDA

View Full Version : scissors too expensive!

zzzimska
March 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
is it okay to cut my hair (S&D) with scissors that aren't made for cutting hair? It's very difficult to find inexpensive scissors for cutting hair in my country :( I love my hair but don't you think 30€ (42 dollar) is just too much for a pair of scissors?

In2wishin
March 19th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Did you try Ebay? I got a nice pair for $3.50 US (shipping included)

pepperminttea
March 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
It is on the steep side, but not the worst. My S&D scissors set me back £22, which is just over 25€. It's not a purchase you need to make often, so I didn't think that was too bad. :shrug:

naereid
March 19th, 2011, 07:09 AM
You can find hair scissors for like 10€ in dm. That's what I use.

Carolyn
March 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I don't think $42 is bad for a good pair of hair scissors :shrug:

littlenvy
March 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I got mine from a crafts store. They are called Precision Embroidery scissors and they are great for S&D since they have very very sharp pointed tip. :) And they are around $8 to $14.
Can't cut hair with them, but that's ok with me ;)

ETA

They are something like this (and I'm very happy with them):

http://scissors-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Fiskars_Avanti_-_Micro_Tip_12_cm_Scissors.html

Kherome
March 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I paid $130usd for mine

HintOfMint
March 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Woah! I paid about $7 for mine. They're Conair and I bought them at Target, and they work just fine. I'm going to be in the minority here and suggest looking for something cheaper.

Juneii
March 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Depending on your budget yes it may be expensive. I got mine for $10 and it works just fine for me. I am only cutting my own hair every so often so it's not an everyday use like what the professional hair shears are made to do.

Kat
March 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I think I've seen it suggested here before that one can also use embroidery scissors--I guess they're really sharp too? Would that be cheaper for you?

shikara
March 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I agree with Juneii and HintOfMint - I got mine for about $6 Canadian. Sometimes you can just go in the hair section of a store (Not sure what's in Slovenia, but here I'm thinking Zellers, WalMart) and find some 'barber' scissors.

trolleypup
March 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I paid $130usd for mine
mmmyep! S&D scissors that are so sharp that you can barely feel when you cut a hair (not quite that expensive, but close). I prefer Japanese style blades (both blades cut) to German style (cutting blade shears hairs against a blunter holding blade) or household scissors (both blades blunter, snaps hair off between them). But I ended up with a tiny (4") wonderfully smooth pair, so I'm happy.

Good luck finding something suitably reasonable!

Miss Catrina
March 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'd think that using ordinary scissors would be less than ideal, but is probably still better than letting split ends stick around unchecked and get worse.

trolleypup
March 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I'd think that using ordinary scissors would be less than ideal, but is probably still better than letting split ends stick around unchecked and get worse.
True. A pair of small scissors with smooth action never used for anything else would be better than not at all to remove damaged/split ends. When using such scissors, try to make the cuts nearer the hinge rather than out at the tips of the blades and cut cleany.

Sister13
March 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
A cheaper alternative is nail scissors or the tiny scissors men use to trim eye brown & nose hairs.

jeanniet
March 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I think I paid $95 for the scissors I use for dusting/trims, but they're good quality and can be resharpened, and will last many years. I S & D with a pair of good quality embroidery scissors that are very sharp and hold a good edge, but they weren't that cheap either. For S & D, what you need is a good sharp edge that doesn't dull quickly. Embroidery scissors or even nail scissors can work. Just be sure you either sharpen or replace them when they stop making a good clean cut.

PrincessTieflin
March 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I don't think $42 is bad for a good pair of hair scissors :shrug:

I was thinking the same thing..

I spent upwards of 300 dollars for mine..

Back when I was a stylist that is.

Sally's sometimes has them cheap. Around 50 is the best I have seen for what they have.

I am overly picky about my scissors.

RocketDog
March 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM
$42 shears are probably not even worth buying... my cheapest pair cost $72 and that was a super-deep discounted price (I'd already bought three other pairs at like $300-350 a pop so he threw those in for cheap). Good shears are worth every penny of their price, and with proper care they will last a lifetime!

Messyhair
March 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I got a pair in the cosmetic section of my drug store for under $20, and that's pricey for me. Previously, I have used sewing scissors.

lacefrost
March 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
O.o I got the trimming sheers at Target for less than 15 bucks. I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something. What is it that these $100 pairs of scissors do? Am I messing my hair up by using the wrong scissors? Where do people find good scissors?

Kathie
March 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I brought mine from a pharmacy. Heres something I found online quickly only $8...

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=336657&productId=336657

Nightshade
March 19th, 2011, 08:51 PM
You can also use professional shears meant for dog grooming, they're almost exactly the same but half the price as they're marketed for animal use :)

Monkie
March 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I use my fabric scissors for (infrequent) dustings. They're very sharp, and get sharpened regularly. They're the only scissors in the house that my roommates know to NOT use. I don't sew as much as I used to, so I figured why not put them to good use?

Athena's Owl
March 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
You get what you pay for, that's all I'm saying.

MindBeforeMouth
March 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM
It's not bad because they will work for you for a while.

kwaniesiam
March 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM
You get what you pay for, that's all I'm saying.

This.

My scissors cost $550, but I'm a professional so my scissors get a lot of use. I've had them sharpened twice since I got them 2 years ago.

$40-50 isn't bad for a pair of good hair scissors. Sharp, quality scissors made for hair will cut down on split ends and make your trims last longer. The cheaper ones will do in a pinch, but they're not nearly as sharp or well balanced and can often cut ragged ends that will split faster than those snipped cleanly.

teela1978
March 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Woah! I paid about $7 for mine. They're Conair and I bought them at Target, and they work just fine. I'm going to be in the minority here and suggest looking for something cheaper.

I have goody brand from walmart and they've served me well for the last 4 years or so... I think mine were in the $5-$7 range.

Mesmerise
March 20th, 2011, 01:18 AM
It all comes down to your budget and what you can afford! For some people spending $40 is the same as someone else spending $5 or $10. If you can afford it, then by all means get the higher end scissors. If you can't, then you should be able to get a reasonable pair for $10 or under.

The pair I use came from a set that had clippers in it (for shaving hair). My parents bought the set for their dogs :rolleyes: but it didn't work well as they were designed for clipping HUMAN hair, so gave the clippers to me lol. So yeah, I got my scissors that way. They're designed for cutting hair, but probably weren't that expensive. Sure if I had the money I'd buy some professional ones, but right now, these ones do really well for S&D.

zzzimska
March 20th, 2011, 03:10 AM
You can find hair scissors for like 10€ in dm. That's what I use.

we have dm, I'll go check:) are you from slo. too?

naereid
March 20th, 2011, 03:17 AM
we have dm, I'll go check:) are you from slo. too?
Cro. :grnbiggri Hello neighbour!

RitaCeleste
March 20th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Now I feel so bad. I only tried S&D after reading about it on here. I had my hair layered and was growing out the sides. They had splits everywhere and haven't seen scissors at all in over a year. I used the same scissors I'd been trimming with. They look like utility scissors of some sort. I cut up steak with them the other day. I think they are pretty sharp, they made quick work of both hair and steak....:( What I was noticing was often right above the splitend was a little white spot where the hair was weak and would break right off if you pulled it. I don't have that many split ends, they must just be breaking right off? Its not getting any shorter. I'm probably not going to spend tons of money on scissors. With the thinning and layering its had, a few broken hairs blend right in. I like my hair and all, just not enough to spend over $100 on scissors. Still, I feel a bit guilty cutting up my hair and steak with the same tool. lol

lacefrost
March 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Now I'm super confused. I do believe that you get what you pay for (which is why I always try to buy high quality items.) So I googled professional hair scissors, etc and whoa totally over my head. There are loads of options and terms that I don't understand. And then when I search those terms, there are even more I don't understand. Where do I start?

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a pair of scissors?

Kherome
March 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM
I paid $130 for mine, they are professional shears as I used to be a cosmotologist. (Didn't like it, people's heads can be gross.:() The shears were something like $300, but between a sale, a punch card, and an additional discount I got them for the $130.
Worth it. Totally. I love them. But it's not for everyone, I know.

principessa1984
April 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi,
I have a question. My individual strands are really thick, is there a certain brand I should go for, or certain attributes that I should look for? I really don't want to break the bank, but I want nice, "split-end-free" hair. Uhhh, tweezerman seemed to get good reviews on the Sephora website...that's not adequate, is it?

Karmi
April 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Tweezerman 2000. $20 for 5.5" shears. Lots of people here swear by them. They are good for typical home trims. I would love to plunk down $100 for super high-end shears, but I have so many other things I want to do with what little money I have.

monsterna
April 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Mine were 10 bucks from the grocery store. I think they are Conair? They've been fine and cut like butter... like butter would be cut? That doesn't make sense, but you know what I mean, haha. I don't understand spending hundreds on it, but to each his own!

PolythenePam
April 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I also use Tweezerman scissors. I've got the deluxe barber shears. I know I paid a little less than 25 bucks. They offer free adjusting and sharpening for the life of the shears. You have to send them to Tweezerman and wait for them to send them back though. I have some stylist friends so I just use their sharpening guy. I keep the scissors in the case and they are never used on anything except my hair...fight the temptation when the kitchen shears go missing.

Prelude
April 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I bought hair scissors from a department store for about 15 bucks. But half of the split-ends I cut leave a little white ends on my hair and I can only assume scissors didn't cut my hair properly. Do you guys think that the strands are so dry they split when cut or do I need to upgrade the scissors to the ones everyone has been suggesting on the thread because the ones I have aren't sharp enough?

RitaPG
April 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I have a scissor from a brand called KIEPE, bought at a hair supply store. I think it cost me 11€. They are made for, and used by professional hair stylists, this one is so sharp I can barely feel it when it's cutting.
I too think a scissor for 30€ is a bit too expensive, but I live on a low budget. I will never understand how can a pair if shears cost hundreds.
I'm sure you'll find a nice one soon enough, look it up on beauty and hair supply stores.

louisemg82
April 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Now I feel so bad. I only tried S&D after reading about it on here. I had my hair layered and was growing out the sides. They had splits everywhere and haven't seen scissors at all in over a year. I used the same scissors I'd been trimming with. They look like utility scissors of some sort. I cut up steak with them the other day. I think they are pretty sharp, they made quick work of both hair and steak....:( What I was noticing was often right above the splitend was a little white spot where the hair was weak and would break right off if you pulled it. I don't have that many split ends, they must just be breaking right off? Its not getting any shorter. I'm probably not going to spend tons of money on scissors. With the thinning and layering its had, a few broken hairs blend right in. I like my hair and all, just not enough to spend over $100 on scissors. Still, I feel a bit guilty cutting up my hair and steak with the same tool. lol
Don't feel too bad hun, I catch my husband cutting his hair with our food scissors all the time!! He doesn't even bother looking guilty anymore :agape:

jojo
April 24th, 2011, 05:59 PM
for ukers superdrugs sell proper hairdressing scissors for £4 and they are great!

Remyy
April 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I bought a smaller-sized pair that was only 12 dollars at a store that sells exclusively hair products. Maybe you could try looking for a smaller sized pair? All the other pairs were really expensive, like, 50 dollars or so.

louisemg82
April 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
for ukers superdrugs sell proper hairdressing scissors for £4 and they are great!
Ohh, I'm going there then. I found a pair online yesterday for £600! £600 on a pair of scissors - I love my hair but I'm not that mad.

Lianna
April 25th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Anything can be too expensive (while on the hair subject, have you seen some hair toys prices?). I live with what I can afford, and definally expensive scissors aren't on the list. I think any very sharp scissors are fine.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Ohh, I'm going there then. I found a pair online yesterday for £600! £600 on a pair of scissors - I love my hair but I'm not that mad.

they are brilliant and if you have a market near you that does key cutting you can get them sharpened for just a few quid! bargain!

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Anything can be too expensive (while on the hair subject, have you seen some hair toys prices?). I live with what I can afford, and definally expensive scissors aren't on the list. I think any very sharp scissors are fine.

I agree, sewing shops sell nice craftwork scissors and you can always get them sharpened if unsure.

SpeakingEZ
April 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I was pretty floored by the prices at Sally's. I saw the rack and I was like, "ooooh HAIR scissors!" (I'd been using sewing scissors.) Then I saw numbers like $59.99, 64.99, 42.99 until finally I saw a pair that looked like a piece of crap compared to the shiny lightweight ones for $17.99. Sold. They work great.

Muse
April 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
What does a haircut cost in Slovenia? Here in Holland you can get a haircut for 10 euro if your lucky. Most of the time it will be 20 euro. If I skip at least 2 haircuts, I could afford the pair of scissors. ;)

I chose to buy a 8 euro pair of scissors in a drugstore. They work perfectly.

hayesa
April 25th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I've been using nail scissors for S&D. Weirdly, they butcher my nails, but do a fine job of chopping split ends. I think they were about £2. :o

Lynda
April 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have good haircutting scissors, Oddly, though, when it's time to dust, I grab a pair of Fiskars (grey handle) razor scissors that I got in the Walmart sewing department.

They are scary, hurt yourself, evil-sharp. Yes, I use them on steak, too. :)

Anje
April 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I've got a pair that cost about $7, and a second that was about $24. If anything, I think I like the results of the cheaper pair better. Neither are particularly outstanding compared to the Japanese-bladed ice-forged beauties that some folks here have, but I don't develop massive numbers of splits after trimming with them, so they're sharp enough and effective enough for me to get by. All I need is scissors that give a clean cut so that hair doesn't resplit.

young&reckless
April 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
May I suggest going to the mens grooming area and picking up mustache scissors.

Spring
April 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Now I'm super confused. I do believe that you get what you pay for (which is why I always try to buy high quality items.) So I googled professional hair scissors, etc and whoa totally over my head. There are loads of options and terms that I don't understand. And then when I search those terms, there are even more I don't understand. Where do I start?

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a pair of scissors?

I'm trying to understand as well. I think from reading all the responses, both blades of the scissors have to be really sharp and not the type of scissors with any blunt ends.