PDA

View Full Version : Compliment or insult?

SandyStar
March 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
While getting off the bus today a girl behind me said, "Holy sh*t! Her hair is long!" :/

I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or insult. LOL

I had my hair in a ponytail. I guess this means my hair is officially freakishly long to the general population.

I wonder what people will say if my hair gets to knee length? lol

selderon
March 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Take it as a compliment. Life is too short to waste time worrying whether total strangers like our hair. ;)

Quixii
March 18th, 2011, 09:24 PM
It'd take it as a compliment. It was unusual enough to warrant exclamations, which weren't followed by insults. So therefore? Compliment. :)

MindBeforeMouth
March 18th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Most people probly have hair envy. I have had this happen sometimes even thought my hair isn't that long. I'm like does it look bad or what? Even I wonder if thier like wow her ends look bad or wow her hair is pretty.

lindaton
March 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM
My hair is to my knees and I get this all the time. I always take it as a compliment because it always comes with a smile. I was in walmart the other day and a girl stopped me and talked to me about my hair for about 5 min. Then when I got to the register the checkout girl smiled and said 'you have really short hair'. I just laughed and said now that is a first.

I just ordered the tee shirt that says 'Freakishly Long Hair' because when it is to your knees and if you take a look from the back view in a mirror it is kinda freakish looking.

Linda

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
People do this to me too. "God, your hair is long!" "God, it's thick! Like you have a natural bumpit or something!" but it is usually followed by "I wish I had that" I say it's a compliment! :)

christine1989
March 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Unless she said it with an obviously disgusted tone of voice, I would consider it a compliment! :) And might I add that it looks SO thick and shiny too!

skaempfer
March 18th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Compliment, definitely. It's somewahat rare these days, so people are surprised is all.

Jimothea
March 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Definitely sounds like a compliment; wonderful for you that random strangers get to appreciate your hair!

McFearless
March 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
It was definately not an insult. She was shocked at how long your hair is and if you are trying to grow it long thats a great thing.

Fufu
March 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Take it as a compliment :) I will be happy if someone says that to me.

leandrahime
March 18th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Depends on her tone of voice as to what she MEANT, but as for what it means to YOU, take it as a compliment!

Mesmerise
March 19th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hmmm I reckon where I live, hair would have to be classic or longer to be considered freakishly long. It's not that lots and lots have long hair, but hair of waist length isn't unusual at all (I've been noticing lots of long hair lately lol... I guess since I've joined the forum!).

Of course, most people would say I have "long" hair, so when I tell people I'm growing my hair long they look at me strangely as if to say... "errm your hair IS long!". Still for me, long hair begins at waist so I'm not there yet.

If someone said that about my hair though, I would consider it a compliment! I just don't get too many length comments because it's not at all unusual here.

BranwenWolf
March 19th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I've gotten that before, and it's a compliment.
I think the cute one was from a girl that looked to be about 4 who went "Mommy! Her hair is loooooooong!" and then they started talking about Rapunzel.

I'm somewhere between tailbone and classic, at the moment. The hair comments started when I hit waist.

boudica
March 19th, 2011, 01:05 AM
My thinking on this is that your hair is simply remarkable or unusual. I wouldn't take it either way, except that you're approachable enough to say it out loud in front of.

Long hair is rare. As we all know, there's a lot of pressure to cut it.

PolarCathy
March 19th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Why does it matter at all what complete strangers say? Whether it's a compliment or an insult? I would take it as a compliment and forget about it the next second.

Mesmerise
March 19th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Why does it matter at all what complete strangers say? Whether it's a compliment or an insult? I would take it as a compliment and forget about it the next second.

This is very true, but some people (including myself) do take what complete strangers say to heart ;) and yes, we will obsess slightly over it, whether it's healthy or not to do so!

Siowiel
March 19th, 2011, 04:16 AM
People do not comment on my hair, as I am at hip and that's not very unusual here.
Perhaps it's also part of the culture you're in, sometimes, it seems to me that Europenas are slower to comment on the appearance of random strangers.

And I think that thicker hair gets more comments than hair of average of thin circumference, because it is so visible that there is MORE hair, even if it is the same length.

Phexlyn
March 19th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I'd take it as a compliment, even if it's just an observation actually ;)

People do not comment on my hair, as I am at hip and that's not very unusual here.
Perhaps it's also part of the culture you're in, sometimes, it seems to me that Europenas are slower to comment on the appearance of random strangers.

And I think that thicker hair gets more comments than hair of average of thin circumference, because it is so visible that there is MORE hair, even if it is the same length.
Very true. I mostly get "it's so long" comments (if I get any), and 95% of the time those are not followed by a real compliment. I'm happy if I can get away with "it's long" without people saying "but very thin" next :rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
March 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I always take that as a compliment. In fact, I consider it high praise, indeed. :joy:

spigette
March 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I usually take those sort of comments as merely observations.... unless it is followed by "Gross", or "Why doesn't she cut it?" or "Maybe she's in a cult or something", lol.

Where I live, hair longer than BSL (especially on women over 30) is quite unusual, so I think people notice it a lot more. I get a fair amount of "I love your hair" from female strangers, but negative comments from strangers is not a typically Canadian reaction, lol. If people don't like it, they keep it to themselves.

CrisDee
March 19th, 2011, 08:26 AM
From the look of your hair in your avatar, it sounds to me as though the girl was actually saying :thudpile:

Eire
March 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
It sounds to me like a neutral observation possibly mingled with a little bit of jealousy -- over your hair, or over your willingness to defy the "norm."

cindy58
March 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I'm guessing it was a compliment. Your pony tail comment reminds me of a super long tail we just saw while driving, the horse was in a trailer. It looked nearly floor length!

MoonlightShadow
March 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
i'd takle it as a compliment even if the person did mean it as an insult o.o

PeacenQuietGal
March 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Compliment!