PDA

View Full Version : What am I gonna do with all this hair??

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Its been awhile since I've been here :)
But the last time I was here, I must apologize. Why? I ignored some great advice from some great people, and now I've never been unhappier with my hair. :(

But moving on, here's the sitch: I have long, mid back 2b/2c thick and dry hair. It used to be one length and it was long heavy and dull and I hated it. Now it's layered and highlighted, and I still hate it. It's in a weird conditon... Bone Straight on top layers, Wavy underneath, and even a few little spirals. Even though the top is straight I have curly roots so I have volume ON TOP of thickness! I'll never understand why people use bumpits XD

When I curl it, it falls out and expands. When I straighten it, it waves out and expands. My roots are oily and my ends are dry. I even tried a waving iron, I looked like a sheep!

Sorry this is long, but what I'm saying is I'm at a crossroads with this mane. What products, what methods do I use? Would curly girl work? I need something, I'm sick of ponytails...

Your help would be much appreciated! Please?? :)

turtlelover
March 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
pictures would give us more ideas I think

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Oh ok! I'll post up some! Thank you :)

Anywhere
March 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'll take some of that thickness off your hands for you. :eyebrows:

but in all seriousness, I would suggest clarifying to make sure it's not a build-up problem, and then perhaps doing a DT of some sort (I recommend a SMT).

If at all possible, I would stop using heat on your hair. I have maybe 8" of fresh undamaged roots and they hold their natural curl so much better than the damaged hair, which falls flat. Perhaps try adapting to heat-free styling? I'm able to get my hair fairly straight and fairly curly depending on how I dry it.

Since you say you have an oily scalp I would suggest doing C-W-C washes. The only other thing I can suggest is waiting it out until your hair grows out enough to damage to be cut off.

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7465

This is my hair that I straightened this morning and last night! Will try to get a natural pic after I wash it :)

I get so many compliments on my hair. on how soft and flowy it is... these people all must be on something. I put so much product in and it feels gross!

I dont think the picture is working... try my album! :)

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Oh Anywhere, Could you fill me in on what a CWC wash is?? im kinda naive to these hair terms :)

Lianna
March 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Take a look at this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44). Maybe you have protein or cones build up causing the dry feeling. As for styling you could dry damp bunning for soft waves, plopping if you want a curlier look. I can only say something regarding damp bunning since I don't have the patience to plop. Damp bunning=nice soft frizziless waves! (for me) :) Half-ups look cute too, and makes my hair look less thick (sometimes this is desirable!) :D

CWC is using conditioner on the length, then shampooing, then conditioning again.

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks! Y'all are all so helpful! :) <3

ElusiveMuse
March 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I second damp bunning.

Also, if I were you I would stop and start over. Pick a shampoo, conditioner, and oil and stick with them for a few weeks. See what works and what doesn't. Then, adapt. Change ONE thing at a time and stick to it for a few weeks. Sounds like slow and methodical is going to be the best way forward.

Roseate
March 18th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I third damp bunning. Really softens my coarse dry waves.

Also, I agree with quitting the heat if possible. I used to have the straight top layer/curly bottom layer problem when I used to heat-style regularly, now I have a much more presentable wave pattern. Damp buns helped me quit heat, because I could go out with my hair up instead of having it drip down my back all day.

Clarify, DT, put it up and forget it for a while!

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have to agree that drippy hair is the worst! Saturday is my wash and go day, and I get weird looks cuz everything I touch gets wet! XD

Might give damp bunning a try.... :)

UltraBella
March 18th, 2011, 10:20 PM
As a fellow thick haired gal and a salon professional, I could probably give you some ideas if I saw a proper picture of your hair :)

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I just clarified it, it'll be ummmmmm.... Probably an hour or two before it dries. Lol. But as soon as it's dry I'll post. Thanks for everyones help again seriously yall don't know how much I appreciate it! :D

julliams
March 18th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Yes I'd like a picture where I can see more of your hair texture. Have you tried sopping up most of the water with a microfibre towel, running some leave-in in it and then either scrunching for waves/curls, or damp bunning (as many have suggested) or braiding your hair in a single english braid and letting it dry.

Just for interest sake, I don't damp bun until my hair is mostly dry. I find if I put it up wet, it's as it was when I take it down 12 hours later. I still get the effect that I like when it is mostly dry and it dries nicely so that it's only a tiny bit wet when I take it out.

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I usually wash at night and pull it up, and when I wake up in the morning it's still wet. YUCK. I'm trying to get away from that bad habit. I like to scrunch my ends with a tshirt, and I used to use mousse but that makes it stringy. DOUBLE YUCK. I tried braiding my hair and ohhhh... Let's not talk about it. I'm a huge scruncher, but depending on how my hair wants to act, it's pretty hit and miss. But I think I will have to check out this damp bunning soon! :)

jesis
March 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM
In order to get a good curl pattern, I don't comb my hair once I am out of the shower. Instead, I start to put my products in right away. I use Argan Oil and a curl cream (which is said to be better for your hair because it is less drying than gels or mousse). I scrunch my hair one time while I am putting in my curl cream and then i let it air dry. That usually takes about an hour. While it's drying I drape an old T-shirt around my shoulder to prevent having it drip down my back or onto whatever I am wearing. It's very low maintenance for day to day and it always looks nice. :)

My hair was really friend, too, until I stopped straightening it in July. I stopped using chemical dyes in September. I have noticed a good change.

Hope this helps!

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Alright! If yall check out my albums I now have the pic of what my hair is like after clarifying! I will praise myself on the nice curls, but it looks like I either need protein or moisture. You ladies know more about this than I do, so you be the judge! :)
The new picture is me in the awesome blue Mercy Me shirt!

Fufu
March 18th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Your curls are pretty.

I will recommend CWC washing method :)
Condition, Wash Condition.

Damp bunning works too :) my hair is straight, i damp bun my hair, along with moisturizing serum or camellia oil when it's about 80 percent dry and my hair has nice waves and feel moisturized.

Waveepagee
March 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks! Seeing as my hair is now on a clean (literally, clean, lol) slate, I will CWC tomorrow morning and see where that takes me. Im going to get off that supposedly "sulfate-free" color safe shampoo and conditoner too. Its helping more than hurting and I really dont care about my color anymore anyways!

All of you ladies are so wonderful! :D

KateMcC
March 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I just clarified it, it'll be ummmmmm.... Probably an hour or two before it dries. Lol. But as soon as it's dry I'll post. Thanks for everyones help again seriously yall don't know how much I appreciate it! :D

Have you tried the microfiber towels for drying? It easily cuts hours off my dry time. The ones marketed for hair are actually too small for longhairs, but many of us here have found that you can get the large ones from the pet stores that are made for drying large dogs, and they work fabulously.

I comb/gently squeeze the excess water out of my hair after washing (I CO in the shower), then turban my hair in the microfiber towel. After drying off the rest of me and putting on moisturizer I take down the turban and turn it to the dryer end and then returban. I leave it up until after I do my makeup and dress. Then I either damp bun it, or leave it down. If I leave it down, it will be completely dry before I get to wherever I'm going--20-30 minutes maybe. Without the microfiber towel it takes at least 2-3 hours for my hair to dry.

No dripping, no electric/heat on the hair, and a much happier me. Hope this helps.

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Larger microfibre towels can also be found online, they tend to be sold for use at the gym or camping because they are not bulky and dry superfast. There are reports of Ktani's coconut oil shampoo bringing out the wave/ curl whilst also taming the frizzies.

I tie my hair back when damp to help calm it down, but have changed my method as I have caused damage. I start with a low ponytail (scrunchie or terry band) until the top is dry, then switch to loose pigtails or a sort of French roll (beak clip) to let the rest get some air. If you have really long hair you can put soft bands down the lengths to encourage them not to frizz out.