PDA

View Full Version : ick ick ick ick

firicia
March 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
If you don't like bugs please don't continue with this thread if it will bother you, fair warning ;)

Ok well this morning I went back to bed to have a little nap and I woke up to something itching my face, like a hair, so I went to go brush the hair from my face and picked up a little bug! Not just any little bug, from what I have seen online this is a carpet beetle. For months I have been itchy in bed, told my fiance it felt like I was getting bit, i actually had red marks but couldn't figure out what it could be as I have a tempur-pedic mattress and no bed bugs can actually live in it, it's one of the selling features.

So looking up online I found other people in my same city with the same problem, also feeling like they were getting bitten. The stuff online never said anything about biting humans but it says they eat everything from your clothes, or your furniture, to.... your hair.:blueeek:

We moved in here 4 months ago, when we moved in they didn't clean properly and we ended up having to do a lot of it ourselves... well now they're gonna have to pay to get this place fumigated probably....

Anyways that's my weird little story, I am glad I was not crazy, and that I was actually getting bitten and not just randomly sporting new red itchy dots on my body in the morning (not too many, but worst was back of the neck.. ewww....)

I am sitting here waiting for this pest guy to come and look, and trying to get the house ready fro a dinner party, hahahaha life is so funny.

Not really sure what the purpose of this thread is, maybe watch out for carpet beetles, they eat hair and your stuff. Also felt nice to tell someone as this probably won't be dinner talk tonight:o

rena
March 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I hear you about the whole pest thing. For a few years I and my family were forced to live in an apartment building infested with roaches yuuuuuuuuuck. Glad to know you're on to them so they won't eat your hair!

And heres a tip: We got the orkin people to come in and get rid of the little critters, and they used this bait called MAXForce FC Select. It comes in a tube and its brown. The bait worked miricals, so we looked and found out where they sold the stuff. It worked like a charm and to the day we left, we didn't see not one more roach. Since you mentioned that those beetles will eat everything, it might not hurt to try, even if this kind of bait is for roaches! Just keep it away from any pets or younger people running around. Good luck!

redwoman
March 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
OMG! You have my complete sympathy! I would be freaked out. And they eat your HAIR?!

Schmoomunitions
March 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
YES that brown goo! The exterminators came and used that tube of brown stuff, it looks like caramel and put some in the cabinets and where the cats couldnt reach and we never saw another cockroach! I hope they are beetles and not BEDBUGS!!!! YUCKY!

UltraBella
March 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Okay, I am not trying to be pessimistic here, but, are you sure it was not a bed bug ? Did you keep it for the exterminator to look at ? Carpet beetles and bed bugs can look very similar and carpet beetles generally do not bite people. You are obviously getting bitten. It does not matter than they can not live in your mattress, becasue there are plenty of other places in your bedroom for them to nest. In cracks of furniture, in dresser drawers, underneath things, behind your baseboard, etc.
I lived in a temporary apartment and have unfortunately experienced bed bugs, it was awful.

Hala
March 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Another vote for the "carpet beetles don't bite people" camp.

I've had tons of vintage clothing move through my house for years, and I've dealt on and off with carpet beetles, as do a lot of old textile dealers. I've never heard of anyone getting bitten. They do not bite people.

Insects that bite people are doing it to suck blood (bedbugs) or out of fear at being surprised by a human (spiders and centipedes). Bugs with a food source that isn't blood (books, textiles... and hair) have no reason to bite people and it's not part of what they do.

I'm sorry. Carpet beetles don't bite. You're being bitten by something else, or they aren't carpet beetles.