PDA

View Full Version : How do you drive with a bun in?

et--cetera
March 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Maybe its just my car (it probably is) with the headrest that sort of bend forwards. I find it so uncomfortable to drive with a bun in and if I tilt the seat back I then don't feel right while driving.
How do you drive with a bun in?

BrightEyes7
March 17th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I usually do a bun higher up on my head, on the crown.

But if I do a lower bun, I just don't lean my head back. But my headrests don't bend forward really so maybe it's just your car. Maybe see if you can find a different headrest. One that is kind of concave... I'm sure you can find that on the internet in the same color!

exclusively di
March 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I have this problem in almost every car I get in regardless of how my hair is fixed. I don't slouch at all so find headrests very much in the way. I use a little sort of flat round pillow behind my back. It gives me just enough extra room. It took me a while to find just the right thing, but maybe that would work for you too.:o

PrincessTieflin
March 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I wear all my buns high on my head for this reason. I do alot of driving the kids around.. I am short tho and my seat leans back. But I have found that a clippy bun works better when driving a long time otherwise when I turn my head I poke the sticks on the seat...

Not much help here just chiming in :)

Kherome
March 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have this problem too, unless I'm driving our X3. The headrests in the X3 are very adjustable and don't have to poke me in the bun :D

Anje
March 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
My Civic is horrible in this way. I can drive short distances with a bun just by not leaning back, but if I'm driving further than around town, I generally wear my hair braided so I don't have hair in the way when I slouch against the seat.

Aibell77
March 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Very fast :)

No seriously, when I'm in for a long drive I braid my hair. When it's a short drive a bun doesn't bother me, since I'm an active sitter (or granny mode, whichever you like) so I don't rest my head against the headrest.

Fufu
March 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I cannot drive with a bun on my head too, i need to rest my head on the headrest.

krissykins
March 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Very fast :)

Lol, I can just imagine the interaction if you get pulled over.

"Honestly, officer, I can't drive comfortably with my hair in a bun, I need to go faster..."

I wish I had some help for the OP, but I like the tilted seat back, so it's never been a problem for me. :shrug:

et--cetera
March 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
thanks for the ideas everyone I think the best thing will just to undo my hair and redo it at school or a simple braid. Not sure, but thanks for the suggestions!

selderon
March 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I lean to the left or right so the bun is next to the head rest. Probably not a very good idea.

Yamainu
March 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I wear styles that are easy to take out and redo - nautilus and cinabuns, mostly.

knoxkatie
March 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
haha i have had this problem too. this might be weird, but the headrest in my car is removable so sometimes i just lay it in the passenger seat and then put it back on when i arrive.

BrightEyes7
March 17th, 2011, 01:22 PM
haha i have had this problem too. this might be weird, but the headrest in my car is removable so sometimes i just lay it in the passenger seat and then put it back on when i arrive.

I was going to suggest this, but it's there for a reason. To prevent whiplash in the case of an accident.

UltraBella
March 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I wear my bun on the crown of my head, so the headrest is not an issue. It totally would be though if I wore my buns lower !

Anje
March 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, not the best idea from a safety standpoint. Then again, I'm not sure we're supposed to sit up, away from the headrest either. (Which is silly, because my seat back + headrest are not back+head-shaped!)

torrilin
March 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
A single braid worked well for a while. Around BSL a single braid starts getting trapped between my back and the seat. Twin braids or arranging to braid my hair over my shoulder fixes that, especially if I use Dianyala's part tricks to control where my braid ends up. At BSL my twin braids are long enough that I can pin them up in a crown, so it is basically impossible for them to get trapped. I'd expect a plain single braid to become comfortable again with about 6" more of braid length, so somewhere around hip when my hair is loose.

Depending on the car, a very low bun like you'd wear under a bike or riding helmet may work. Flatter/looser buns like the Artemis and Nautilus will work better than a cinnabun. I don't find most high buns to be flattering, so I haven't tried to make them work.

et--cetera
March 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I've found that having buns against my neck help, my seats are kind of a racing type seat and with the way people drive I don't know if I feel comfortable taking my head rest off but maybe i'll try it.

Nae
March 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I generally just sit forward a bit. If I am wearing a ficcare I can rest those against the head rest pretty well. But if I was going to be doing long distance driving my hair would be braided.

jeanniet
March 17th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I have a newer Corolla, and I just don't put my head back on the headrest. If you put the seat back just a little, you won't feel tipped too far back, but the headrest will be out of your way. I almost always drive with a bun in.

teela1978
March 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I've never been one to "do my hair" and leave it that way all day so I don't mind it going up and down (and up and down...). If my bun is bugging me in a certain car I just take it down and put it back up later. My current car (older hyundai accent) is fine with a bun. I was driving a friend's honda the other day and it was awful though.

DTsgirl
March 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Flip the headrest around so it's backwards. Then you have the safety feature of a soft-ish thing to catch your head in an accident, but it's far enough back that it won't bother you. I have to do this with my car, bun or no bun because the design is so dumb. It looks ok; can't really tell it's backwards.

chelles2kids
March 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I was just wondering about this the other day...I too notice that if I don't place my bun high enough/low enough that it hits at the exact spot on my head rest that kinda makes it a bit uncomfortable. Where I almost have to tip my chin down a bit in order to rest my head...

You know you're a long hair when....lol.:p

{Honda Accord here ;)}

CaityBear
March 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM
When I have low buns, it doesn't affect me, but sometimes if it's right at the back where it does bother me I just take my hair down and leave it down or I redo my bun.

Panth
March 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I was going to suggest this, but it's there for a reason. To prevent whiplash in the case of an accident.

Mmm. They're also to protect your head from things that might be flying forwards during a crash. My driving instructor told me a terrible story about a girl who had a crash - she'd left her Walkman on the back seat, it flew forwards and since she didn't have a headrest it hit her where her neck meets her head. That's where all the vital brain stuff is - it's your brainstem which controls heartbeat, breathing, etc. Killed her straight off even though the crash itself wasn't that bad at all.