PDA

View Full Version : Hair length and styles corellation?

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I see it come up all the time, people asking what styles can be done at a certain length. Most of us know it's not that simple; texture and thickness comes into it too. Fine hair will compact more, thick hair will use up more length for loops.

I was wondering if we could figure out a system that might give an idea, and all I came up with was a ratio. Divide your length by your thickness.

Does this sound plausible to anyone else?

I just find that there are styles people can do at BSL that I can't at TB+, and I imagine that is disheartening for many. Maybe being able to add a ratio, and then suggest how it can be altered to suit a variety of textures would help people?

Is there a better way people can think of? It's been a recurring question that we've never quite been able to answer.

dmitri
March 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Great idea! I was wondering about this recently too. Not sure what would be best, but... I look forward to an answer. I guess I need to figure out my "type" profile so I can actually use info like this lol.

rhosyn_du
March 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
It's definitely a good start, but there are other factors that go into it, too. Slip, for example, is definitely a factor. I have insanely slippery hair, and I've found that my hair needs to be a lot longer than most people with a similar thickness for the same styles, just because I need to have a significant amount of "tucked in ends" or the whole thing just slides right out.

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe a table with length markers along the top axis (BSL, waist, classic) and thickness markers (i to iiii) down the side axis? Then marks in the boxes for whether it's likely to be possible for a given style? Texture has to play a part as does appropriate hairtoys, but both can be overcome if determined.

ETA: That is not right, note to self: do not get up before 7am. Will edit again if I can work out what I meant!

spidermom
March 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I think it's really a matter of experimenting and getting to know your own hair. I don't like copying other people's styles anyway and always find a way to make hair styles my own.

lacefrost
March 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM
That's a really cool idea. I don't really know how possible that is though since everyone has such different hair. One would have to take into account length and thickness and slip as folks said above me but also curliness, ability to hold style (or is that under slip?.) So there's a lot of possibilities with the whole 1234 abc i/ii/iii and. . .I'm not really sure categories for slippage and then all the lengths. And then to add in all the styles. . . But! if someone did put that together, I would be on it like white on rice. There are so many hairstyles I want to do but I don't know if my hair is long enough or too curly or not curly enough or too thick or not slippery. . .the list goes on. It would be super awesome. I could just check the chart and do it.

ladylovecraft
March 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM
This is definitely an awesome idea. At barely-BSL, with fine/medium but INTENSELY SLIPPERY hair, there are a lot of styles I've found that I can't do. It would be cool to have a system to identify which length/thickness category you fall into and then compile a list full of links of styles that might work for you.

I find I wind up watching/reading about a ton of hair tutorials I just can't do because of lack of length, it becomes very disheartening. : (

christine1989
March 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
This is a great idea! I'm amazed when someone with APL length hair can do an updo that I can't manage at BSL+. My hair is reasonably thick, coarse and has plenty of friction to hold it together but the texture is tough to work with.

selderon
March 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I like Firefox's spreadsheet idea. This would make a cool community project. Perhaps we could do this with the style of the month. In addition to the hair type and hair toy considerations, we could come up with alternative approaches to the style so it is do-able for a wider variety of hair types and lengths.

AnnaJamila
March 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM
What a good idea! Lol, I can't believe no one's thought of this before now!!