PDA

View Full Version : Hm...would almost-black hair look good on me?

goldcopperbrown
March 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hi guys! I've been gone for a while but anyway I recently took some of your advice and dyed my hair dark brown--and much to my dismay it didn't seem dark enough! As far as I remember, my natural hair color is close to black...but I hate that it could make me look pale, or worse...like one of those Jersey Shore girls, when I'm tan. (And I know some people like pale skin, I think it can be pretty but not on me).

Hmmm so I think I might do it..maybe a semi-permanent so I don't regret it if it looks bad

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
On non-porous hair (mine) a black semi took a long time to fade out. It is notorious for that, which I knew already.

Since your hair has previous dyes on it, you may it's more porous and the black is even more stubborn. I've heard of people having to bleach out semi-perm black after a year.

If dark brown washed you out, I don't recommend black!

goldcopperbrown
March 16th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Oh no, dark brown looks good on me. At least I think so...it was just lighter than I expected, I was going for an espresso thing. But thanks!

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
So you want a colour that is still lighter than your natural shade?

If permanance could bother you, stand test to see how fast it fades, if at all. That would also give you extra thinking time. :twocents:

CurlyCyndi
March 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I think i would give it a month until you deiced unless you really dont like it. you look like you have olive undertones and I think a Chocolate Brown would look amazing on you. I also love chocolate brown hair in the summer because it just really shines and glistens different hues of reds and browns... I died my hair black two weeks ago or so PERMEANT and it is already fading :(

BrightEyes7
March 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I would suggest trying the same color you already used, maybe in a semi or demi- perm., but leaving in on a little bit longer. When I was still coloring my hair, 5 minutes could make a huge difference on the darkness of the color. But my hair is naturally pretty light so I don't know if that makes a difference. In most of the instructions it'll say something like, "for stubborn grays, leave on for additional time but do not exceed X minutes." Try leaving in on for a longer period of time, but I would say no more than 30-45 minutes (unless it states a lower maximum time in the instructions)

Lynda
March 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Dark colors in Natural Instincts can be very persistent on some hair.

x0h_bother
March 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I think you would look good with it. And I think it's pretty pale or tan. JMO.

patienceneeded
March 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Watch out for black dye, even a semi-permanent version. Black is notorious for sticking around longer than other colors. I speak from experience... I dyed my hair in HS black with a dye that promised to wash out in 6-8 weeks. Needless to say, it did not wash out. At all. EVER. My hair was BSL then and I chopped it to chin after about 8 months of BLACK hair. Like pitch black. I looked like Morticia Adams. Not my best look.

So I guess I would be careful. It may be more permanent then it says...

HintOfMint
March 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Unless you turn orange when you tan, I wouldn't worry about looking like a Jersey Shore girl.

walterSCAN
March 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Dark colors in Natural Instincts can be very persistent on some hair.

Agreed. On me, it was to the point of being completely permanent. I mean, no fading whatsoever. I'm growing out ~12-13" of Natural Instincts semi-perm 'darkest brown' right now. ><

(My natural color is pretty light too, as someone else mentioned. I'm really not sure whether that matters.)

McFearless
March 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Why not just grow out your natural for a few months to see if you like the colour?

Signe
March 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Oh no, dark brown looks good on me. At least I think so...it was just lighter than I expected, I was going for an espresso thing. But thanks!
I have heard that some people do coffee rinses on their hair...apparently it raises the PH just like ACV and gradually darkens your hair...if you are going for an espresso thing, why not try espresso!