PDA

View Full Version : Why do my new-growth hairs lack the will to live?

PraiseCheeses
March 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I noticed something very strange about my shedding for the last few days. Nine out of ten hairs that I find in my fingers or brush or comb are between two and four inches long with tapered ends - clearly, they have been growing for just a few months and then falling out! Why might this be happening? Why am I shedding pretty much exclusively new growth? :confused:

Don't these hairs know they're in for a lifetime of pampering and oils and deep treatments and coddling? Don't they know I need them to grow out and thicken my braid? Why are they jumping ship so soon? :( Come back! Don't go away! I promise I'll be good to you! :p

Just for the record, they are coming from all parts of my head and not just the typical areas that don't grow out like the nape or the hairline. I've never shed like this before - it's always been the longest hairs with visibly trimmed ends. Anyone know why this might be happening? Has anyone had this happen to them before?

UltraBella
March 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Hmmmm...... I have no idea !
Are you sure they are new growth ? Is there a root bulb on the opposite end of the taper ?
How worrisome :(

PraiseCheeses
March 16th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ah yes - thanks for reminding me, Ultrabella. They all have root bulbs, so I'm pretty sure that means it's new growth. (And I haven't heard the sound of snapping hair in several weeks, so at least there's some good news. :)) I'm not shedding much more than usual, but I'm mystified as to why my scalp has adopted a last-hired, first-fired policy. :p

LisaMonster
March 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I don't have advice, but can I just say that this was the most adorably written post ever? I was giggling through the whole thing. Thanks for that :P

rena
March 16th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I don't have advice, but can I just say that this was the most adorably written post ever? I was giggling through the whole thing. Thanks for that :P

I second that!

Anyway, is it possible you are experiencing any type of stress at all? From what I've read so far, stress makes alot of people shed at the drop of a hat...er...hair :rolleyes:

Or could it be something you are using? I know that certain products make some people shed more than others.

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Are you unwell or have you been unwell? Or not taking care of your wellbeing, stress or poor diet?

sibiryachka
March 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Are you unwell or have you been unwell? Or not taking care of your wellbeing, stress or poor diet?

...Or have you recently started, or stopped, taking any medications?

PraiseCheeses
March 16th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the responses, Firefox, rena, and sibiryachka. I am quite well, eat well, take vitamins, etc. Stress? Yes, but not more than usual.

I was taking a prescription muscle relaxants for a few days (pinched nerve in my neck and shoulder - ouch!) but I stopped taking it when it wasn't helping my shoulder, but rather merely making me groggy for the entire day. Perhaps that is a factor... If I was just shedding more in general, that would make sense. But my rate of shedding is unchanged - it's just that instead of longer hairs being lost as usual, most of the shed hairs are short and tapered new growth, which doesn't make much sense. Those guys should be in in for the long haul. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

CarpeDM
March 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Well let me assure you that you are not alone. I have been experiencing the same thing. I do not understand why my new hairs are running away from my head either?

kyandii
March 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
My hair dresser always says around this time that it is a natural occurrence during spring as people shed the extra hair they grow for winter.
Like a dog or cat. Mines falling out as well :(

spidermom
March 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I regularly shed short hairs as well. I think of them as my guard hairs. I used to breed angora rabbits, and most of their hair is long, fine, and silky, but scattered throughout their coats are shorter, stiffer hairs. The purpose of these hairs is to stand the entire coat "on end" to increase the insulative value. Ever have that sense of hairs "standing on end"? I do; therefore, I think these short hairs are my guard hairs.

But I don't really know for sure. I've obviously got hairs that grow very long, so I'm not worried about the short ones.

didrash
March 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
It is happening to me too just now, and it has happened before. I don't know why but I haven't lost thickness so I guess its not to worry about.

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Well ever since i started using my satin pillow case, the only hairs i do find on my bed ARE the small curly new hairs, which make no sense to me but i can't complain much since im happy it's not a lot of very long hair that haven't reached terminal. Im just assuming these lil guys werent strong enough.

krissykins
March 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Have you sat them down and told them not to give up, that better things are coming their way? Tell them about the big picture. Tell them how much you love them and how hurt you'd be if you lost them. Just say, "Please, don't give up, we can pull through this."

Or, you know, just listen to everyone else in the thread. :silly:

MeganE
March 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I noticed something very strange about my shedding for the last few days. Nine out of ten hairs that I find in my fingers or brush or comb are between two and four inches long with tapered ends - clearly, they have been growing for just a few months and then falling out! Why might this be happening? Why am I shedding pretty much exclusively new growth? :confused:

Don't these hairs know they're in for a lifetime of pampering and oils and deep treatments and coddling? Don't they know I need them to grow out and thicken my braid? Why are they jumping ship so soon? :( Come back! Don't go away! I promise I'll be good to you! :p

Just for the record, they are coming from all parts of my head and not just the typical areas that don't grow out like the nape or the hairline. I've never shed like this before - it's always been the longest hairs with visibly trimmed ends. Anyone know why this might be happening? Has anyone had this happen to them before?

LOL I have this image of you trying to put little shed hairs back on your head. "Come back!" :D Such a funny post, thanks! Sorry I don't have any info for you, though. :(

PraiseCheeses
March 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM
My hair dresser always says around this time that it is a natural occurrence during spring as people shed the extra hair they grow for winter.
Like a dog or cat. Mines falling out as well :(

That makes sense... and of course I'm now paying more attention to my hair than I ever have before, so I wouldn't have noticed in previous winters. I'm still happy spring is coming though. :D

Have you sat them down and told them not to give up, that better things are coming their way? Tell them about the big picture. Tell them how much you love them and how hurt you'd be if you lost them. Just say, "Please, don't give up, we can pull through this."

Or, you know, just listen to everyone else in the thread. :silly:

Heehee, maybe talking to hair is beneficial like talking to plants is supposed to be!

I do wish I could reassure them that they will always be free of the hardships faced by their predecessors... :silly:

Im just assuming these lil guys werent strong enough.

Awww, poor li'l guys! They're the runts of the litter! :p

Thanks for all the input, and I'm glad I could give a couple of you a chuckle! :)

Lucia2
March 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Hi - check out this thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Hair-Miniaturization-with-Telogen-Effluvium/show/1146556

Sometime hair can 'miniturize' after you have expereinced shedding - you can google 'miniturization and telogen effluvium for more info. :)

pariate
March 18th, 2011, 06:35 AM
First thing that springs to mind for me is a scalp problem - dermatitis, dandruff etc etc. I now know that this was the cause of my mammoth shedding, but only because I left it for two years and the symptoms got so awful that I finally realised there was something wrong!