PDA

View Full Version : Here's why I am quitting layered cuts...

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 11:59 AM
O.K., well, I like the look of layers cut into my hair, BUT

I HATE the velcro like ends. I like clean, neat edges throughout, and the way my layers are cut in is to have them blend into my hair, but this also creates the velcro ends - the hair all different lengths that stick together in clumps.

I like to be able to run my fingers through my hair and have smooth sailing, not have my hair catch and stick together. I feel like I can't ever keep it untangled.

I can't stand it anymore.

I am going to trim out the layers over time. I am not going to do any big chop to cut out the layers in one shot.

x0h_bother
March 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Is that why I feel knotted clumps? :hmm: Now you've got me thinkin.

miss_purple
March 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
That's exactly my goal. Waist length with zero layers. I'm in the "No trim for 2011" challenge so next year I'm going to continue trimming the layers over time.
Happy growing. :)

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Is that why I feel knotted clumps? :hmm: Now you've got me thinkin.

Maybe.

If it feels like knotted clumps but ends up being hair of different lenghts stuck together, then maybe.

There has been some talk that sometimes velcro ends can indicate a need to clarify, moisturize, or whatever. But in my case my hair is soft and sleek on its own, but let those hairs of different lengths meet up with each other, then that is where the velcro action happens. So, in my case, it is the layers.

LisaMonster
March 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
My layers aren't velcro-like...My hair is thick and wavy and barely tangles at all. Are you sure that the layers the source of your issues? If you want to grow them out, go for it, but don't be disappointed if you're still dealing with the same problems when your hair is all one length.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM
My layers aren't velcro-like...My hair is thick and wavy and barely tangles at all. Are you sure that the layers the source of your issues? If you want to grow them out, go for it, but don't be disappointed if you're still dealing with the same problems when your hair is all one length.

I did consider other factors as possibly being responsible for the problem, but I have pretty much ruled them out.

Thinking back years ago when I had my first layered cut, a different hair dresser did a different type cut, I think. I am pretty sure she cut the layers in straight across and then chipped into the layers a bit to break them up. I remember having no problems with that cut. It didn't look choppy, because she had chipped in and broken up the layers a bit, but you could isolate the layers, and they were cut straight across with nice, neat edges. The only time I experienced velcro ends was when my ends got dry.

So, my conclusion is that my velcro ends today are caused by the current layered cut that I have.

HintOfMint
March 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
It may not be the layers themselves but the way the hairdresser cut them. Did she use a razor or thinning technique? A lot of hairdressers use that to make layers blend in and look nice, but it can wreak havoc on your ends. When I get my hair razored, it's splitting and terrible within weeks.

Granted, with hair of steel, good technique, and a sharp razor, it may not be so damaging, but many cases don't turn out this way.

Again, it may not be the layers, but the razoring.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
It may not be the layers themselves but the way the hairdresser cut them. Did she use a razor or thinning technique? A lot of hairdressers use that to make layers blend in and look nice, but it can wreak havoc on your ends. When I get my hair razored, it's splitting and terrible within weeks.

Granted, with hair of steel, good technique, and a sharp razor, it may not be so damaging, but many cases don't turn out this way.

Again, it may not be the layers, but the razoring.

My hair isn't splitting, but with all the hairs being different lengths and my hair being wavy, I have had velcro ends with the cut, and I am just fed up with it at this point.

Yes, it is the particular way the hair dresser cut the layers in. She didn't razor cut it, but the effect is the same. The previous layered cut I had was done very differently, and I did not have problems with it.

firicia
March 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
That's so right on for me too. I have lovely curls and every time I go in they layer it. I have now found this place and realized for myself that with my hair that's really a silly thing to do. I had this hair stylist who said layers makes your hair look better, but when you have curly hair and wear it in curls it looks funny on my hair. It looks uneven in the curls, and when I go to braid it goes from nice thicker hair to so thin at the ends. They were also razoring my hair, and saying it would help me grow it out. I now know that all those snapping sounds and the pain I got from them doing that was damaging my hair so badly that the next time I went in for a trim they always had to cut like 3" to get the dead ends off. They kept looking at me like I my flat iron every day, but I was very lazy with my hair pretty much never styling it, so now I know it wasn't all me, it was the hair cut in general too.

I would like to find a way to cut my own hair and stop going back and paying money for things I am not wanting them to do, lol.

Good luck, and congrats on figuring out something new that you feel will be good for you.

firicia
March 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yes, it is the particular way the hair dresser cut the layers in. She didn't razor cut it, but the effect is the same. The previous layered cut I had was done very differently, and I did not have problems with it.

Oh I think I may know what you mean. Where they take the scissors and they run it down the length of hair with the tips facing almost the floor so it's cutting the hair on an angle instead of straight?

I have had that done and definitely heard lots of breaking sounds coming from my hair.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Firicia.

Good luck to you too.

My plan is also to eventually learn to trim my own hair. Next hair goal is waist lenght, all one length which I will trim myself. :)

FluffSpider
March 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Well, you said you had no issues with layers the way they were cut on your hair before-the former hairdresser's technique of 'chipping' them. Perhaps you can visit her again, and get the best of both worlds?

princessrose
March 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I quit layers too. I hate how when I braid layered hair, pieces stick out everywhere, and my hair just seems to behave much better when it's all one length.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Oh I think I may know what you mean. Where they take the scissors and they run it down the length of hair with the tips facing almost the floor so it's cutting the hair on an angle instead of straight?

Yes! That is it. I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to explain that. LOL. You did it perfect.

The previous layered cut I had was done very different. The hairdresser separted my hair into sections and cut each section straight across the bottom. Then she chipped into the layers to break them up a bit. I did not have problems with that cut.

sunnyhope
March 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I am not going through this whole thread but as a hairdresser I just wanted to say it is several ways to cut layers and they should not be a reason for tangles or Velcro ends at all.

Your hairdresser may do what we call pointing to break up the cutting line a bit: It is not difficult to ask your hairdresser to stop doing that and ask her to cut a blunt line instead.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Well, you said you had no issues with layers the way they were cut on your hair before-the former hairdresser's technique of 'chipping' them. Perhaps you can visit her again, and get the best of both worlds?

I am going to grow and cut this cut out first before contemplating getting a new cut.

And the previous hairdresser's cut was not 'chipping' the layers in. She cut them in by sections of hair straight across and THEN chipped in and only a little bit to break them up.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I quit layers too. I hate how when I braid layered hair, pieces stick out everywhere, and my hair just seems to behave much better when it's all one length.

That has also been an irritation for me. And, it is a growing irritation as I try to do different braiding and bunning techniques with my hair.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I am not going through this whole thread but as a hairdresser I just wanted to say it is several ways to cut layers and they should not be a reason for tangles or Velcro ends at all.

Your hairdresser may do what we call pointing to break up the cutting line a bit: It is not difficult to ask your hairdresser to stop doing that and ask her to cut a blunt line instead.

This thread is not about criticising hair dressers. The hair dresser did nothing wrong to my hair. This particular cutting method of layering just didn't work out for me. Another method of cutting layers did work out better for me. I am choosing to cut out the layers over time and go without for a while.

sunnyhope
March 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
This thread is not about criticizing hair dressers. The hair dresser did nothing wrong to my hair. This particular cutting method of layering just didn't work out for me. Another method of cutting layers did work out better for me. I am choosing to cut out the layers over time and go without for a while.

Oh I didn't take it as criticizing either I just wanted to let you know if you do want any layers at all it is several ways it can be done so the results will be better for you.:)

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Oh I didn't take it as criticizing either I just wanted to let you know if you do want any layers at all it is several ways it can be done so the results will be better for you.:)

Cool, I understand what you are saying now. :) I am sure this lady would have done whatever I asked. I just didn't know how this particular method she cut was going to turn out for me like it did. If I decide to return to a layed cut in the future, well, now I know.;)

ooo
March 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Well yeah, now I remember why I wanted to get rid of my layers, but my hair looks so much better with the layers :justy:

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well yeah, now I remember why I wanted to get rid of my layers, but my hair looks so much better with the layers :justy:

I know what you mean. :(

I am going to take a break from layers. Gonna grow 'em out and trim 'em out til I get to waist then go from there. I will either keep one lenght hair at that point, or I may contemplate getting layers cut back in but using a different layer cutting method.

enfys
March 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think it's the scissor dragging doing the damage here for sure; I'm imagining nasty things being visible under a microscope!

Since you know what the problem is, you know what you need to do to sort it out. I would cone the heck out of them until I could cut them off; that's just me though :D

I didn't know the first method you had done would be used for long layers, but it totally disguises the cut lines when the barber cuts DH's hair like that,staight then going back over and pointing. It's quite effective.

Roseate
March 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I know what you mean! I love layers in my hair but some methods are more effective than others. I ended up with those excessively tapered ends in the past, cut them off and then disliked the bluntness and got some point-cut ones put back.

It's hard, because on the one hand I hate to micro-manage the hairdresser at her job, but OTOH, it's my head and some kinds of layers just don't do it for me!

Dina L.
March 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I also have layers -- the long ones which were cut the way sunnyhope said: in blunt lines. Actually I think my hair looks better with layers, the curls look great, but I hate that the lowest part of my hair is very thin. So I'm thinking of getting rid (cutting off) the last layer over time.
Centaur: There is Feye's self trimming method: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/, http://www.youtube.com/user/Habioku#p/a/u/2/L9Erf49Eyxc

AnnaJamila
March 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I noticed the same thing. Now I just use Faye's cutting techniques! You should try that when you have all the velcro cut out; the one that comes to a point is sooooooo pretty on curls!

AnnaJamila
March 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM

I am going to take a break from layers. Gonna grow 'em out and trim 'em out til I get to waist then go from there. I will either keep one lenght hair at that point, or I may contemplate getting layers cut back in but using a different layer cutting method.

If you look online they have a little plasticy thing called a creaclip that you can use to layer your hair; there was a thread on here a little while ago that was talking about it and it looked pretty legit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMsun42Gqc

If you have someone pull it so that it's at the top or back of the head instead of right in front the layering would be more subtle.

Centaur
March 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks, everyone who has replied here, for all of your suggestions, discussions and encouragement. :flower:

The links on the trimming and tools for putting in layers myself, as well as the suggestions on different layering methods, the troubleshooting and the commisseration and sharing are all really appreciated.:)

McFearless
March 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Same here. Blended layers have tapered ends that can look stringy if not styled right. Blunt ends are simple and easy to trim at home, which I plan to do. Most stylists are terrible.

Lynda
March 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
My hair is thick on top, but not-so-thick on the bottom half. When I get layers, I always end up with a mullet, or with a Texas lady bouffant stuck on top of some string. :)

I'd love some layers to free up some curl, but I've learned to live with a blunt cut. The plus to blunt is great updoos!

Firefox7275
March 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I don't have layers because I can't rely hairdressers to do what I want OR do what works for my hair. The last time I had layers was 2006 and it looked BEAUTIFUL, big messy curls and easy to replicate at home. By the time I'd walked the ten minutes back to work I had Farrah Fawcett flicks :mad: - did not suit my wavy hair or the fact that I get hot really easily. After straightening the sides ten times in one day the ponytail was back! With a blunt hemline it's hard to make a complete hash providing you watch they don't cut too much off.

spidermom
March 15th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Because of the shed and regrow cycle, we've all got hairs of every length. They're not layers, but they cause the same grabbing and tangling if one's hair is prone to such - like mine. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Drives me crazy sometimes, but my coney serum helps.

firicia
March 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I don't have layers because I can't rely hairdressers to do what I want OR do what works for my hair. The last time I had layers was 2006 and it looked BEAUTIFUL, big messy curls and easy to replicate at home. By the time I'd walked the ten minutes back to work I had Farrah Fawcett flicks :mad: - did not suit my wavy hair or the fact that I get hot really easily. After straightening the sides ten times in one day the ponytail was back! With a blunt hemline it's hard to make a complete hash providing you watch they don't cut too much off.

Ya, sometimes having curls can be tricky when going to get a hair cut. If someone doesn't know what they are doing then it can be very hard to manage.

ooo
March 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Maybe, now that I've found the perfect hair dresser I can have both. Growing, well kept hair and layers. Just don't know how often I'd have to go visit him. Right now I'm at twice a year. Thought last time I was there he cut less layers, so they could grow out slowly. I feel so inconsequent.