PDA

View Full Version : The "Don't Check Your Length" thread!

pariate
March 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM
First apology - sorry if this should be on the projects/polls board, feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

Second apology - I couldn't find another thread on this subject, but do please tell me if such a thread already exists and I shall join it.

:cool:

I'm currently at BSL and am soooooo impatient for it to get longer. I've decided to avoid checking my length for.... um.... 3 months? Oh god, I'll never make it! Naturally, we all observe our hair as part of our daily routine, so what I propose is not using mirrors/suchlike to take accurate account of our growth. We've all been there - checking the length every week, desperately searching for obvious progress. Ditch the mirrors, try to forget about it, and give yourself a pleasant surprise in a couple of months.

Does anyone else want to join me?

(I'm so sure that there must be another thread like this somewhere, but my searches haven't thrown anything up. :confused: )

jasper
March 13th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I used to check monthly and it drove me a little crazy, I support you in not checking!

pariate
March 13th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I used to check monthly and it drove me a little crazy, I support you in not checking!

Thanks. I'm also trying not to speculate about how much growth I'll get in that time. Just forget, forget.....

NouvelleNymphe2
March 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
good idea :), it helps me to stop thinking about it and leave it alone. :)

pariate
March 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM
good idea :), it helps me to stop thinking about it and leave it alone. :)

See you on 11th June then? ;) I think it'll also encourage me to wear it up more.

CAPA7
March 13th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I don't check my length regularly, I have no idea how many inches my hair is, but every time I have a look, it seems to me it's still BSL. I'm pretty sure it's longer than that now, probably mid back, but everytime I look in the mirror I can't help thinking "why hasn't it changed?!"
Very good idea not to check for a couple of months!

BLove
March 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I gave up wearing my hair down for lent. After the 40 days I will check it. If it is down I check it all day long. I am about an inch from waist, am hoping to make it in the 40 days.

see_turtle
March 13th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I visually check it multiple times a day with mirrors but I hold off on measuring and taking length shots and do it every 3 months (Dec, Apr,Aug...)...I should stop looking at it from the back every day! I vow not to again until April 23rd when I measure next!

Vorvolaka
March 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'm in! Or, at least I'll try to be in.

I take a photo of my length every three months and I have just done one the other day. So, by the time I'm ready to take another photo, the three months of not checking will be up.

See y'all in June!

Xandergrammy
March 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
The last time I measured was on November 12, 2010- the day of my first trim in 15 years (and also the day before my son's wedding!) I made myself crazy in the beginning of LHC measuring every month and hardly seeing any growth, so I'm thinking I won't measure until maybe June? Thanks for this thread.

RitaPG
March 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
*raises hand*
I'm in! I used to check my length sooo much when it was between APL and BSL. It just seemed like it would never go past my nipples haha.
At some point I quit using the tape. Wasn't really a consious thing, it just got boring.
I still look at it in the mirror sometimes... ok, a lot! You know, my hair has never been better since I joined LHC, and I have to admit it, I enjoy looking at my hair now, even if it feels short :o
I did measure a week ago, because I found my hair trapped on my bra strap LOL. I'm between BSL and Waist now :cheese:

Not measuring will give you a pleasant surprise :D

vanillabones
March 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'll go for not checking again until May or June 12th but it will be hard! I want to do it though so I can avoid watching my mullet fill out and just be pleasantly surprised :) especially since from Feb 12th to March 12th I have more than half an inch of roots!

schweedie
March 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm in, too! Well, after my length shot this week - I just had a trim on Friday and want to take one shot for March to have something to compare with. But I pledge I will hold off until June after that!

pariate
March 13th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Good girls! Like to see a bit of healthy self-denial in action :p

gthlvrmx
March 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I AM! oh my god, you have no idea how obsessed i got checking my hair everyday in the mirror (thinking my hair would grow an inch over night). Let's make that surprise!! I won't check until June!

Monkie
March 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I try to not measure it. Operative word being TRY. Always measuring with my hands to see if my bangs are longer.

Braidy
March 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I'm in for not using the tape, will be doing my length shot tomorrow though :D But after that I'll try not to measure until... Easter? Something like that? Not checking in the mirror will be a little harder. The mirror's on my bathroom wall, how do you avoid a thing like that? Let's say I will try not to look at my hair every day :lala:

annieangel149
March 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM
oh yes! i like this thread! i have been staying away from measuring for 3 months! im in!!! :D

akka naeda
March 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I do this. It's impossible for me to see the ends of my hair in any of the mirrors in our house, so I get a photo done once a year.

CurlySoleil
March 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I think this is a great idea. My hair shrinks drastically (like 50% or more) so to see my "true" length I have to stretch it. I find myself unconsciously grabbing random pieces and pulling them to see the length. Lol. It's a problem!! I'm so obsessed with growth and it gets frustrating when I feel that I should be at a certain length. So... no more length checking! I support you!!!! :)

pariate
March 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I do this. It's impossible for me to see the ends of my hair in any of the mirrors in our house, so I get a photo done once a year.

I dream of reaching that length...

Jeno86
March 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I'm in!! I'm at BSL and I would check my hair almost weekly. It seems to take forever for hair to grow when one is always watching it. I will be checking on my birthday however, see if I get to waist by then.

Alvrodul
March 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I measured my hair at the new year, and i am not really planning to measure again until June. My pulling out the measuring tape every week isn't going to make my hair grow any faster or slower, and I will reach my goal when my hair gets that long. :meditate:
I actually think I will reach my current goal in May, but I think I may update my goals a bit between now and then. ;)

Cirafly24
March 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I know I can't make it three months (lately I've been pulling out the tape measure every week) :o But I will try for one month to start! I will not measure until April 13th!

Geez, I'm like an addict. I'm hesitating to post this because I don't know if I can make it!

jaine
March 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm trying not to take pictures of my hair until it's time for my next haircut in December or January ... I just don't want to know about shape issues if there are any. Shape issues make it too tempting for me to go and get a haircut and I'm trying to make it through the year without trimming.

ingvild
March 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm in! And what a coincidence - I just did a length shot, too :p I was planning on wearing my hair up from April and until exams are over (which is around june 10) anyway, I guess it won't hurt if I try not to obsess too much. Up it goes! :cheese:

akuamoonmaui
March 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
This is a good thread! I check my hair about every three months just because it's not very mentally healthy to want something and then not see it happen over and over (weekly, etc.). This way I/you will see progress and it's a win/win!

pariate
March 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I go through phases with my hair. Sometimes I can easily forget about it for weeks at a time, but since I took off a few inches last year (went from waist to BSL to get rid of last damaged ends) I've been obsessing over the length because I'm sooooo desperate to get back down to my waist.

dreamerx6
March 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'm in! I always stretch my hair and see how far past my bra strap my longest layer is. NO MORE (until June 1st which is when my graduation is :cheese:) I'm hoping all my layers will be at BSL by then.

hanne jensen
March 14th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I'm in! I'm tired of stressing out over my hair growth and stalling. I measure every 2 weeks and am usually disappointed.

Is it ok to look at and admire the hair that I DO have, or is this more of a benign neglect thing and trying not to notice my hair at all?

pariate
March 14th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I'm in! I'm tired of stressing out over my hair growth and stalling. I measure every 2 weeks and am usually disappointed.

Is it ok to look at and admire the hair that I DO have, or is this more of a benign neglect thing and trying not to notice my hair at all?

I'm choosing not to look at my hair to gauge the length because I'm BSL and therefore have an easy benchmark, but you could just swear off the measuring!

countryhopper
March 14th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Since moving and not being able to spent as much time on the site as I used to (several times a day!), I've noticed that my hair has grown much faster with begin neglect. And without constant measuring and checking the length every time I passed a mirror!

morecowbell
March 14th, 2011, 08:06 AM
What a great thread idea, pariate! :) I was just going to start a personal challenge to not check my length anymore for awhile, and it'll be great to have others to commiserate with. :D

I ordered Monistat online yesterday, and I'm going to be using that to hopefully help my hair out of this stall it's been in. Because I henna, I'll still be able to see my growth, but I'm going to wear it up all the time so I don't actually see the length.

I'm setting my goal for not checking my length at one month (because I don't think I could go longer, lol ;) ). So April 14th :)

Now I just need to find some more protective updos... my go-to Cinnabun is causing splits from daily use :(

wvgemini
March 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't measured since I started here so I'm all in :) I wear my hair up for work every day so it's pretty easy for me forget about it. It will be interesting to see where I am in June :hmm:

pariate
March 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Now I just need to find some more protective updos... my go-to Cinnabun is causing splits from daily use :(

Wow, really? Bummer... I guess I'd always thought that updos were safe! How about braiding? How do you usually secure your buns - sticks, pins or other do-dads?

schweedie
March 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Okay, length shot for March:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Hair/March2.jpg

And that's the last one I'll do before May is up! From now on until then I am only allowed to take pictures of my hair if it's up or in a braid. Hopefully there will be a visible difference next time.

Anyone else have 'pre-challenge' shots? :)

ingvild
March 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I do, schweedie :) This is from March 11. No more pics until June!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/pingvingvild_/11mar.jpg

Vorvolaka
March 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Yup, I do! This is also from March 11th, and the next on will be taken sometime in June.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6923&pictureid=97987

ooo
March 14th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm in, won't check my length till the end of the year (2011) :)

morecowbell
March 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Wow, really? Bummer... I guess I'd always thought that updos were safe! How about braiding? How do you usually secure your buns - sticks, pins or other do-dads?

I think the splits are more due to twisting my Cinnabun too tight and placing it in the same spot on my head every day (I use hair sticks or claw clips to hold it up most days).

Braiding is a good idea, unfortunately I have really thick layers that poke out of any and all braids and actually scratch my skin (I've gotten rashes from my own hair!), I'm considering braiding and then wrapping a scarf around it, though. (Or maybe pinning the braid up)

I just had oral surgery today, so I'm making it a goal to learn some new updos while I'm 'recuperating'. :)
Any and all ideas for APL+ hair would be majorly appreciated! :D

Btw, I have a 'before' length shot to share, too. :)
This was taken on 3-11, and I will not look at my hair from this angle again for at least a month!
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/length3-11.jpg

christine1989
March 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm in on this one! I tried not measuring for around 3 months a while back and it was tough but good not to obsess. I'll still do my length shot updates (about time for a new one) but no measuring until at least June.

<3OnHerSleeve
March 14th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I love this idea, last time I checked was 4 weeks ago (mid-February). I'm hoping not to measure or take pics until end of May or early June. My DBF has been hinting a trip to Hawaii sometime after then, so crossed fingers what my hair length will be in July ;)
Good luck everyone :)

Earelia
March 14th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I haven't measured my hair since... elementary school.

ladylovecraft
March 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM
It's *kind of hard* for me not to do this, as I henna and my roots are plainly visible, but I vow not to bring a tape measure to them or the rest of my hair for three months!!

This will also help encourage me to wear it up more, as it's easier to not take a peek then.

Debra83
March 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I really like the idea, but KNOW I can't do it. I find it too much fun checking the growth along the way. I would HATE to get to June and have reached my goal already. I would be a little deflated I think.

McFearless
March 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I never measure my hair:)

schweedie
March 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I've actually never measured my hair, I've always just gone by milestones. Getting to BSL, being able to do a certain bun, number of bumps in my braids, etc.

Heh, Vorvolaka, your picture made me facepalm and then grin - even though you're not quite BSL and I'm a bit past BSL, I looked at your picture and thought that your hair looks much longer than mine! But I'm really short, so I guess it makes sense.

Fethenwen
March 15th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Great idea, sounds healthy :)

3 months... that would be mid June. Ok, I pledge to not measure nor fuzz about my length until then! And I will also keep my hair up in protective buns more often. I started with that already this week after my sun-in session.

This will not be hard I think, after I reached BSL I haven't really been that obsessive with it. It just keeps growing, last time I measured was about 2 months ago.

RedheadMistress
March 15th, 2011, 05:00 AM
- I must say I haven't done this since I joined LHC, when you do hair typing and measure etc .

I usually just look at my hairs texture, prefer it more straight/slightly wavy like Jessica Rabbit hair .

I should probably measure soon again . .

but yes I can join this endeavour, doesn't seem very hard for me :P

pariate
March 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I just had oral surgery today, so I'm making it a goal to learn some new updos while I'm 'recuperating'. :)
Any and all ideas for APL+ hair would be majorly appreciated! :D

Get well soon! I too would be interested to hear about styles for that length. Hopefully my super-thin hair will co-operate for some of them...

pariate
March 15th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I've actually never measured my hair, I've always just gone by milestones. Getting to BSL, being able to do a certain bun, number of bumps in my braids, etc.

Ditto. I decided that if I started measuring the inches, I'd really start to obsess! :p I go by body milestones - BSL, mid-back, waist....

Smile4Kiki
March 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I started doing this a few months ago because I was getting obsessed with measuring. I'll go until end of May without measuring and try really hard not to check if I hit APL or not until then.

Fethenwen
March 18th, 2011, 01:13 AM
It is going really well, I have had my hair in a bun this whole week.

I dreamt that I was measuring my hair though, does that count? :p

hanne jensen
March 18th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I'm so happy for this thread. Instead of obsessing about the hair I don't have and being sad about my slow growth rate I'm learning to be happy with the hair that I DO have.

DH will dust me on the 22nd and I will not measure!

pariate
March 18th, 2011, 06:54 AM
It is going really well, I have had my hair in a bun this whole week.

I dreamt that I was measuring my hair though, does that count? :p

Yes, you naughty, naughty LHCer. Stand in the corner. And no cheese for you at lunchtime. :eyebrows:

morecowbell
March 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Yes, you naughty, naughty LHCer. Stand in the corner. And no cheese for you at lunchtime. :eyebrows:

I think my cheese needs to be withheld for a week! :P When I have my hair down for my daily misting and oiling it's become way too much of a habit to turn my head and look at my length in the mirror! I've done it like three times this week and I'm gonna start spraying myself in the face with my mister bottle if I can't control it! :laugh:

Pariate, on a side note, I finally got the lazy wrap bun to work on my hair! :D The trick that helped me was using just my middle finger to wrap the bun around, not my whole hand. So yay for new buns! :)

pariate
March 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I think my cheese needs to be withheld for a week! :P When I have my hair down for my daily misting and oiling it's become way too much of a habit to turn my head and look at my length in the mirror! I've done it like three times this week and I'm gonna start spraying myself in the face with my mister bottle if I can't control it! :laugh:

Pariate, on a side note, I finally got the lazy wrap bun to work on my hair! :D The trick that helped me was using just my middle finger to wrap the bun around, not my whole hand. So yay for new buns! :)

Ah, well done on the bun! I know exactly what you mean about the mirror - I've been toying with rag curls this week and have been looking in the mirror to assess the results. Have got it figured out now though, so won't feel the need to check results. Must. Not. LOOK!

ooo
March 18th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Next time I'm taking a length picture will be end of june or beginning of july. I don't know why, but I'm already fantasising about that. :rolleyes:

Cirafly24
March 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think I can make it! I want to measure SO badly. I think I may have cheated a little last night. I stood in front of my fiance with my hands at classic and asked him how much further I have to go. He said 4 inches! :D

pariate
March 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I don't think I can make it! I want to measure SO badly. I think I may have cheated a little last night. I stood in front of my fiance with my hands at classic and asked him how more farther I have to go. He said 4 inches! :D

But just think - if you don't look you can tell yourself that you have a cascade of classic-length hair and that all your hairy dreams have come true... :p:D

Sgt.Pepper
March 18th, 2011, 03:56 PM
We've all been there - checking the length every week

Any week? Oh my dear, I check my length almost everyday :o
I go bananas any time I see no progress.. This thread is for me!

Speckla
March 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I have absolutely no idea how long my hair is in inches. I just test the lenght by pulling a strand straight every so often.

EbonyCurls
March 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I've always tried not to check my length (and I've never measured). I've gone as far as wearing my hair or back for several months just so I can be surprised at the growth when I wear it down.

ElusiveMuse
March 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
This is a good method. I stopped measuring my hair for a few months and was very pleasantly surprised when I measured today! I'll try to refrain until June.

Spring
March 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
This is a great idea, I think Im going to try this a week at a time. This should save me a lot of time in the morning :laugh:

Monkie
March 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I actually measured a few days ago, but mostly because I wanted to see how many inches my goal length will be. Once it hits 22" I'll be a really happy camper. Only 8 inches to go. Sigh.

heartgoesboom
March 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM
that's so hard, i feel like i check all the time, hehe

Theobroma
March 21st, 2011, 03:03 AM
I so need to join this thread. I plan to check one last time on 1 April and then NOT measure again until July.

Wonder if I'll stick it out? Because I said on New Year's Day that that would be my last measure-in until April, and I think I lasted about two weeks before reaching for the tape measure again... :S

Fethenwen
March 21st, 2011, 03:08 AM
This thread turned out quite hilarious :D

Monkie: ooow, your cat on your siggy is adorable!

schweedie
March 21st, 2011, 03:14 AM
So far, so good for me. I've discovered that I can't see my ends in the bathroom mirror anymore (not that I was trying...), so that helps! Sometimes it's tempting to take a picture just to see if I'm having a good hair day, or how the bunwaves look from behind, though. So hard to resist.

hanne jensen
March 21st, 2011, 03:23 AM
I haven't even taken my hair dow from yesterday. How's that for benign neglect?

jessie58
March 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Just read the whole thread. I suddenly feel the need to measure my hair. :silly:

When I first joined here, I measured religiously each month. Than in the last year, once or twice only. I hadn't measured for months, then I did a few weeks ago. I had a hair cut a month or so before that so had no idea whatsoever where it would be. I was terribly disappointed to find it at only 27.25
I'm waiting until the end of summer and I'm sure I'll see some good growth by then.

hanne jensen
April 1st, 2011, 02:54 AM
I had DH dust my hair on 23 March and didn't measure after!

Earth Angel
April 1st, 2011, 03:53 AM
exactly what Ive been planning to do, have measured this month and taken photo but will try as much as possible not to measure again until June ;) will be hard I think but i'm going to give it a go! :)

Mesmerise
April 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM
I think I will join this! I measured today cause it's the 1st of the month, and I was hoping to see something good...but no :( I did kinda give myself a little trim the other day, because I was testing Feye's method, and that might have had something to do with it. I mean I KNOW it's grown cause I can see the regrowth from my henna a month ago lol.

Anyway, it'd be nice to wait awhile, then measure my hair and discover it was like 28" or something hehe rather than hoping to eke out each 1/2". I'm also planning on doing a small trim on the 16th (cause err...that's supposed to be a good day for hair trimming to promote hair growth lol). Then I won't trim again for ages... sooo yup, I won't measure until July 1st.

honeybunny_1996
April 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM
This is a great thread, hopefully I'll hit BSL by the time i do check my length. :)

Becky Safari
April 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've stopped checking my length because my hair varies in its waviness. When I did measure it was only when it was wet, but that isn't representative of when it is dry. I just measure by what part of my back it hits now :p

blackcatw81
April 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Since I'm learning to better care for my hair I often take photos .... It's a very stressful activity, expecially when you hope your hair will grow quickly :p

schweedie
April 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Okay, I'm having real trouble keeping from checking my length right now. Well, I did actually take a picture yesterday, but not to check the length - my hair just felt so nice and soft (which is rare) I wanted to see what it looked like. But I wasn't wearing either of my length-checking tops, so it doesn't count. Right? Right? But... Now I want to, agh. Someone talk me out of it.

morecowbell
April 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Okay, I'm having real trouble keeping from checking my length right now. Well, I did actually take a picture yesterday, but not to check the length - my hair just felt so nice and soft (which is rare) I wanted to see what it looked like. But I wasn't wearing either of my length-checking tops, so it doesn't count. Right? Right? But... Now I want to, agh. Someone talk me out of it.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

*Hem hem* But seriously, how long are you waiting to check your length? Think about how much time, effort, and thought you've put into giving yourself this much needed break from obsessing. I only have less than two weeks til I can check mine, which is basically the only thing stopping me from taking a length picture. ;)
Don't ruin the surprise for yourself, think how long it'll look and feel if you go the entire time! :)
I seriously can't wait to check and see how close to BSL I am, but I am trying to have as much patience as possible and just not think about it. :)

kitten1986
April 5th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I dont measure my hair :D never did, never will I figured that no amount of measuring will make it grow faster anyway

I have to admit when I first became part of this lovely community, I went through a period of obsession, but I realised that it actually made me less happy with my hair. So now I try not to think about it... it will grow when it grows...and I just try to keep it as healthy as possible so I dont have to cut as much.

I only do rough calculations in my head... currently my thoughts are "its between APL and BSL and it should be approaching waist in a bit over a year"

These types of thoughts keep me happy. So yeah I guess I am a benign neglect...er?

schweedie
April 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

*Hem hem* But seriously, how long are you waiting to check your length? Think about how much time, effort, and thought you've put into giving yourself this much needed break from obsessing. I only have less than two weeks til I can check mine, which is basically the only thing stopping me from taking a length picture. ;)
Don't ruin the surprise for yourself, think how long it'll look and feel if you go the entire time! :)
I seriously can't wait to check and see how close to BSL I am, but I am trying to have as much patience as possible and just not think about it. :)
Heh, thanks! I needed that. ;)

My goal is not to check my length before June, and it seems like forever until then! I keep wanting to check if I've made it to waist. But I just realised what could be a good incentive for me to stay away from the camera - I've been working to lose a bit of weight, and the longer I wait to see if I've made it to waist, the smaller my waist could be. *g* And you're right, I do want that surprise of 'Yay, it's long!' *bites nails*

Avital88
April 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I stopped measuring so much too, i will only measure every 3 months or so.
Pictures i should take every other month, i dont want to get too obsessed with it and seeing really a difference makes me happier anyway..
So i'm in :)

wvgemini
April 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Well, I haven't measured or really checked since the last time I posted. Just a few photos to show off hair toys, heh. I'm hoping to see some real growth by my birthday (June 18 ) :p

pariate
April 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I was thinking about my length today and I have a very vivid image in my mind of the last time I checked - my hair was ever so slightly past the top of my bra strap. I'm hoping that when I check again in June I'll have cleared the strap completely. Groooooooooooooooooooow....

morecowbell
April 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Alright I couldn't stand it anymore! :o My official check in date is the 15th, but I realized my last length shot was exactly a month ago, so I caved... *shame, shame*.

So far my experiment with monistat and castor oil is a fail, I only grew half an inch again... but I have hope that I will reach BSL soon! :D
Without further ado... :)
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/length4-11.jpg

I think I'm going to make a rule that I can only take length shots once a month... and I'm going to continue not looking at it as much as possible. :D
Now I must center myself and resist all temptation to look until next month. :o

elbow chic
April 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not measuring mine again till I finish my quilt, which is three-quarters complete.

I did measure last week? It was STILL 25 inches and it kind of spoiled my whole afternoon. lol. Thing is, I can't exactly remember when the time was I measured before that.

Vorvolaka
April 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm doing okay at not checking my length now that my focus is off it. Obviously, I see it in the mirror most days but it's usually in braid waves!

Gwen
April 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
It's so hard NOT to check the length. But I usually just judge by my roots. I usually measure once per month.

Gwen

summerjade
April 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Yes , I need to do this too. I am too obsessed with checking the growth. OH, I check length in the mirror every time I walk by one, and measure constantly with the tape measure. So, I need to stop this and just let it grow. No checking until June. I'm in!

SpeakingEZ
April 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM
NEVER! You'll never take me and my measuring tape alive! *grabs measuring tape and runs with it trailing wildly behind her*

hanne jensen
April 12th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I so want to measure! 14 June is so far away. I put all of my measuring tapes out of sight to avoid temptation. I'm hoping for a big surprise in June...:pray:

Mesmerise
April 12th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I so want to measure! 14 June is so far away. I put all of my measuring tapes out of sight to avoid temptation. I'm hoping for a big surprise in June...:pray:

I am not measuring until July 1st and that seems like aaaaages lol. But I know I don't want to before then, because I'm trimming on the 16th and it will just be depressing to see no growth even though I know it will have grown... errm it just won't be longer.

I need to develop patience!!

schweedie
April 12th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I'm also waiting for June 14! Hopefully, at least, since my last length shot was March 14. Nice even number, three months. It's not the tape that's calling to me, it's my camera. *yearns* Solidarity, sister.

morecowbell
April 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM
NEVER! You'll never take me and my measuring tape alive! *grabs measuring tape and runs with it trailing wildly behind her*

:rollin: That's some great imagery! :laugh:

telegraph64
April 12th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I am not measuring until July 1st and that seems like aaaaages lol. But I know I don't want to before then, because I'm trimming on the 16th and it will just be depressing to see no growth even though I know it will have grown... errm it just won't be longer.

I need to develop patience!!

Time goes by so fast, one day, it seems like forever away, and suddenly, you wake up, and you're there. ;)

Organic
April 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I can't help but "see" how long it is growing. I have a demarcation line of silver. It is too hard to keep from checking to see if it is growing. When I dyed my hair every three weeks, it would look like There was a half inch to an inch growth every three weeks. The last time I dyed it was before Christmas. Jan 18 I got the top layer stripped because my hair was SO dark, to ease the contrast, half of that broke off during the stripping. The beautician cut off 8 inches of length. I am BSL now, but my "line of silver is about 1.5 inches long. Suddenly it seems to grow SO SLOW>>>>arrrggggghhhh.

Where do I measure from?

Nae
April 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Pffft, measuring. Not that it does me any good. My last trim was in October and I have been measuring at 22 inches ever since!! How can this be possible? I am giving up the measuring tape untill the end of summer. Like when I go back to school in August lets say.

Mostly because I figure I am still going to be 22 inches no matter what I do so I give up lol.

Kisa
April 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I may be one month too late for doing this with with you guys, but otherwise I'm in! :D
Bleh. I want my BSL so bad.

Kunoichi
April 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm quite late seeing this also, but the last time I measured was in March, so it's already been almost a month. I guess I can go another 2...maybe. :eyebrows:

Ylesque
April 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I've not measured/paid attention to my hair since February, but that's because I've been too busy, not because I've been intentionally abstaining! :laugh:
But now that I'm aware of it, I vow not to check my length until June. That's a good amount of time, right?
Plus, that's when my summer vacation starts, so I'll have time to obsess over my hair again! :cheese:

pariate
April 13th, 2011, 04:03 AM

That made me laugh so hard! :p

ingvild
April 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm having BIG problems with this challenge :rolleyes: Today my hair was down and I was trying on clothes at HM, and I of course noticed my length because they have nifty mirrors. >_< I'm trying to erase the images from my head. I have two months to go! I realise I am unable to not look at my length in the mirror, it's the taking pictures and measuring that is difficult. I'm trying to experiment with other things like wearing my hair up (which I completed for 30 days and will join again in May) and starting CO, but I think I need some support. :p

tinti
April 13th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I've actually thought about this a couple of times today. I've just started benign neglecting my hair, keeping it in an updo 24/7 to stop obsessing over lenght and hair in general, so I'm in! Last time I measured and took a picture was yesterday to post about my cut, so I will not check my length until June 12th. This'll be exiting! The hardest part for me will be when I'm in the bathroom after shower since it's a mirror there, but since I've recently started wrapping my hair in a microfiber towel I will resist ;) We can do this! Gosh I'm obsessive about this :p

Monkie
April 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I have not been checking my length intentionally, but today I noticed that my bangs have grown down to the bridge of my nose. A month ago they were clear above my eyebrows, so I'm pretty happy about that.

zina
April 13th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'm so in. I haven't measured my hair for a few months now, and I won't do it for the next month either. I'm planning on going to a salon for a trim some time after May 12th and I might need to check my lenght after that. :)

Fethenwen
June 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
It has now gone about three months since my last measurement.

I have trimmed my hair once under this time, an inch.

And now that I measured it seemed to have gained one inch in length. So that would make about two inches of growth.

It might not be such an accurate measurement because I had to measure myself this time. Last time I had my boyfriend to help me.

Anyway, I did it! :cheer:

Anyone else?

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'll join... But I'm so sad about recently over trimming it, I'm going to say I'm not checking it till after Xmas... :(

Becky9679
June 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I really should join this challenge because lately I have been obsessively checking my growth. I'm currently doing the 'no trims in 2011' challenge so it would be great if I could combine the two and not do any measuring until 1st January 2011.

If I happen to have it down and catch sight of my growth accidentally in the mirror that's alright isn't it? :p

racrane
June 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I really should join because I'm too obsessive sometimes. My mom and boyfriend hate hearing about my hair musings. I'm keeping it up more than I ever used to do and it's pretty convenient - it's summer and I want my hair up anyway. I will take my monthly photos but no more, I vow! :D

Spring
June 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I think I did pretty good for about 3 weeks... I think I'll rejoin after June and try committing for maybe a month at a time.

jessie58
June 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Well I succumbed to temptation. I measured in at 28 inches. This was after a small trim last month. I'm going to ignore it until the fall.

kmoc123
June 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I didn't check for a few months because I was stuck at 36 inches...but, I checked about a week ago and am at 38!