PDA

View Full Version : Adding lemon juice to shampoo or conditioner?

rena
March 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM
If I understand correctly, acidity is what makes the cuticles of hair lay down smooth. I'm thinking this would be ideal for my porous hair, to help it hold its moisture.

Could adding lemon juice to one or the other be a good solution? Has anyone tried it? If you have and it worked, what kind of lemon juice do you reccomend?

P.S. I know lemon juice has a hair lightening reputation, but I'm okay with that, since it probabaly would not effect my color. This would be only till I find the time to experiment with ACV rinses.

Thanks in advance : )

RadiantNeedle
March 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Many conditioners already contain citric acid. I think that it would be more effective to use lemon juice in a rinse than in shampoo. If you have citric acid at home, try using it as a final rinse; about half to a full teaspoon in 1-2 cups of water. If your conditioner doesn't have citric acid in it, maybe experiment by adding just a little bit?
Many people find lemon juice to be very drying for their hair, so perhaps 'less is more' applies here. Start with very dilute mixes rather than strong ones.

On a personal note, I find oiling my hair infinitely more effective for sealing in moisture than using an acid. That's my final step after washing my hair. ACV and citric acid can be drying, after all, particularly for fine hair, or if not diluted enough.

sweet&sourkiwi
March 12th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hi! Another idea would be to try a club soda rinse...it's just water and a faint citric acid, and has mild chelating properties. I think I saw somewhere else you were needing chelating anyway, so this may be an easy way to experiment, no mixing or anything.

But hot dang, it is "refreshing" when you pour it on. Brr! Fizz!