PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop using styling products

yvsa
March 11th, 2011, 09:07 AM
My hair is still very short and I use stylingproducts like mousse and gel. I know it isn't healthy for my hair and sometimes my hair doesn't even look better when I use products:confused:.
When did you stop using stylingproducts?

lapushka
March 11th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I haven't yet. I stopped using mousse, though, and switched to alcohol-free styling products. Alcohol tends to make your hair *very* dry.

There's nothing wrong with styling products AFAIK.

Moon Doggie
March 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I have short hair too and I have to use products on my bangs or else I'll long like Cameron Diaz in that "There's Something About Mary" scene. I use aloe vera gel, I put it in my hands first and dilute it with a first drops of water and then put it on my fuzzies.
Of course I only do that if I know I'm going to a place that requires an above casual hair-wear.
When it's a casual setting I rock these guys out:
http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--90000--74918_product_452002340_thumb_large.jpg
They cover my bad fuzzy bangs up yet still let the well behaved hair poke out. The scarf material is soooo comfty!

Delila
March 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
While I was first growing out my hair, I figured out that some styling products didn't work well for longer hair, so I moved on to other things.

Lately I've been quite happy with the George Michael/Madora styling products, they help me feel well groomed, but don't seem to cause problems. I like the InStar spray and the Frizz Away gel.

Styling products are just cosmetics for the hair, they're not evil in themselves.

enfys
March 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I still use and will continue to use them when I need too. I won't ever give up my hairspray, gel or whatever a given style needs. I know how to remove them and handle my hair with them in so I don't have any problems.

3azza
March 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Maybe if you try a leave in conditioner, you will be able to style your hair while reducing damage and adding moisture. I only stopped gel/mousse/spray when i got introduced to leave in conditioners.

spitfire511
March 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Moon Doggie is this something you made or bought? It's super cute, and I've been looking for something similar with no luck!

annieangel149
March 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM
i havent used styling products for 3 months but i guess it easy for me cos my hair is just dead straight! I guess its more difficult to control hair without styling products if it curly! i have noticed that it has become much softer and looks more healthy since i stopped using the hairspray and mousse!

Moon Doggie
March 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Moon Doggie is this something you made or bought? It's super cute, and I've been looking for something similar with no luck! I actually bought a few of those things off of etsy. Search for dread wrap :)

Cheeks1206
March 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I haven't. When I wear my hair down I use a product called Curl Keeper to keep the frizz down and a medium hold gel to keep definition, both Of which are usually over some sort of leave in condish. When my hair is up I used aloe Vera gel to tame the frizzies. The AVG is nice because once it's dried it doesn't look like I have any gel in at all.

TheMechaGinger
March 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I have short hair too and I have to use products on my bangs or else I'll long like Cameron Diaz in that "There's Something About Mary" scene. I use aloe vera gel, I put it in my hands first and dilute it with a first drops of water and then put it on my fuzzies.
Of course I only do that if I know I'm going to a place that requires an above casual hair-wear.
http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--90000--74918_product_452002340_thumb_large.jpg
They cover my bad fuzzy bangs up yet still let the well behaved hair poke out. The scarf material is soooo comfty!

That looks so awesome! I might have to invest/try to make one of those. And I love your freckles

morecowbell
March 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I only used styling products when I had a perm and needed to tame the curls... my hair is coarse and porous and gels/mouses/sprays just build up and make my hair crunchy and dull. Plus, I like to run my fingers through my hair, and have it be touchable and soft, and styling products are designed to make hair more stiff.
I'm a bit of a granola girl I guess ;)

morecowbell
March 11th, 2011, 12:11 PM
That looks so awesome! I might have to invest/try to make one of those. And I love your freckles

Seconded. :) It's a very earthy bohemian look, and those beautiful freckles just add to it! :)

lapushka
March 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Is that you Moon Doggie, 'cause to my knowledge that's a pic of the Etsy seller who sells those wraps.

Vorvolaka
March 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I still use styling products, I've just changed which ones I use.

Moon Doggie
March 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Oh, no no, it's not me. It's colourbazaar of etsy. She is cute and a very trustworthy seller (100% positive feedback). When you buy more than 3 items she usually includes a freebie.
http://www.etsy.com/people/colourbazaar?ref=ls_profile

virgo75
March 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I stopped using styling products when I realized that none of them made my hair exactly how I wanted but ALL of them dried my hair out to some extent.

Now I use some combination of conditioner, leave-in, and/or oil and my hair is ok. I don't think it will every be "great" because my particular hair is very difficult. :shrug:

But I expect yours(and everyone else's) will do better probably as it gets longer. :)

GermanCurl
March 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I did not stop using styling product, I just switched over to natural styling products. Once my curls were at shoulderlenght I started making my own styling gel (flax seed gel with essential oils).

didrash
March 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I suppose this may sound weird, but I have never used any kind of styling products. I though people's hair just looked the way it did, had no idea it took mousse or gel or stuff. And so just accepted the way my hair looked. I also never in my life used a brush, only a comb on my hair...

In2wishin
March 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
The last styling product I used was Dippity-Do so I guess that gives some of you an idea when I stopped :D

(for you young-uns, this would have been around 1969 or so)

heidihug
March 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I still use hair spray just about every day, or my bangs/fringe would look flat and greasy almost instantly. I've never really used other styling products, though. Just oils and other leave-ins with silicone in them to give me slip and to keep my hair from tangling.

Lianna
March 11th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm shoulder length now and I just started using them. Before I just used a little light oiling as leave in. Aloe vera gel is supposed to be good for hair, I used to have this other "regular" gel to smooth my growing out bangs into my updos, but my sensitive eyes couldn't take it (I didn't notice anything bad with the hair though).

I liked aloe vera gel a lot, I don't see a need to stop, even with long hair someday.

Kristin
March 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I stopped for awhile, but then I cut bangs and needed hairspray again. Also, I realized that I need to use something when I want to hold curls. (Not that they hold for very long, regardless of what I use.) I've tried some Giovanni styling products and I like them all. Those are all alcohol-free or contain very little alcohol.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Oh my !!! I NEED THIS !!!!! It looks so comfy !
I am going on a boat for two weeks and this just might solve part of my "what the heck do I do with my hair???" issues.
Moon Doggie, you are my hero at the moment. :cheese:

spidermom
March 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I don't think styling products are bad for your hair, at least not the ones I use.

In2wishin
March 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I don't think styling products are bad for your hair, at least not the ones I use.

Like everything else, it depends on your hair. I didn't stop using them because of any of them being bad, I just stopped because I was lazy :p

Messyhair
March 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I never did use any. :p There's no mystery as to why my name is Messyhair....

jaine
March 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
The stylist products I use are harmless to skin and hair and harmless to the environment! I love them! I don't plan to stop unless by some stroke of luck my hair starts to look smooth and perfect without them. That would probably require a texture change because my hair is so mixed up with curly and wavy and straight.
I like Max Green Alchemy and John Masters Organics ... I'm very picky about ingredients

christine1989
March 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I stopped around 5 years ago. They never did much for my hair to begin with so it wasn't a big transition.

GrowingGlory
March 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I don't remember exactly, but I think that it was while I had a crew cut. My current shampoo and conditioner make my hair look voluminous and styled after air drying so I am content without them.

AnnaJamila
March 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I like using oil- do you use products primarily for shine/smoothing/frizz control? If so, a drop of oil or leave in conditioner should do the trick. If you're looking for volume, herbal washes can make hair seem fuller in my expirience.

BunnyBee
March 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Never really used them except for *speshul* occasions :)

jasper
March 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Um, 1991. :D

I know that's not what you are asking.

gthlvrmx
March 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
oh my god you look wonderful with it on :) Where do you get them, i've been wanting to buy stuff like that to wrap around my head and i cant find those particulars types. Using a torn white t shirt sometimes isn't enough :P

krissykins
March 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Who says I have to stop? :p I don't think I could live without them on the limp, not-curly-or-wurly days. I just became more selective, same with conditioner choice and such. :)

We may have alternative hair care at LHC, but some of us still need hair styling productsl! ;)

jojo
March 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I cannot remember the last time I used moose or gel in my hair and I hate hairspray with a passion but I do use serums occasionally after a certain spidermom (AKA enabler! :D) got me onto to CHI serum!

Wanderer09
March 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I was phasing them out of my routine before I found LHC. Never liked the crunchy curls feeling anyway.

yvsa
March 12th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Wow, thank you for all the replies:blossom:.
It's a relieve for me to read that many of you still use styling products and still have beautyfull long hair. I just have to be carefull which product I use. That will be trial and error in the upcoming years:D.

Pumpkin
March 12th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think I was born with a can of hairspray in my hand!! LOL

Thank heavens I found LHC. After deciding to grow my hair back out, I wanted to do it without damage (wish I would have had this information in the 1980's when I had long hair. Oh, dear it was a dried out mess!)

So, I have not used hairspray, mousse, or gel in my hair for a good 2 years. As it grows longer, I can see the difference in the condition in my hair when comparing the pictures of myself from the late 1980's.

Anywhere
March 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I never used to use products, but now I occasionally use gel after joining LHC.

frost pattern
March 13th, 2011, 12:34 AM
When I learned to make up dos and skipped blow-drying, I didn't need them any longer.

When I had short hair, I used to blow-dry every day, used styling-mousse and hairspray. One day I realised they keep my hairdo in shape, but it's expensive and doesn't make my hair look better. It looked dry and damaged. I asked my hairdresser, and she recommend me to grow.

Neneka
March 13th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I have never really used them and I don't even know how to. I have never felt I really need to learn although my mother said to me when I was 17 that an adult woman can't let her hair just be. "It has to be dyed and you have to use these products... You look like a child with that natural hair and your face with no make up!" So I dyed my hair but I just didn't learn to use styling products, maybe because I didn't want to... Now I am trying to get my virgin hair back.

charalito
March 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I stopped daily use about 8 months ago (between APL and BSL), but I do keep some products just in case. Shouldn't be any harm on using products on special occasions like weddings or such :)

oktobergoud
March 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Well I haven't in a while, mostly because I'm too lazy to use products. Plus my hair somehow 'eats' them, in a few hours it's all gone and greasy or dry and flat.. doesn't really work on my hair! And I'm growing it out from a pixie so the 'model/shape' in my hair is all gone, no stylingproduct is going to fix that :P
I do use a serum for very damaged hair after washing it though, but that's not really a styingproduct I guess. It does get rid of a lot of frizz, sadly not everything :(

aenflex
March 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Aside from heat protectants and very, very briefly hairspray (redken) in the past, I never use styling products.