PDA

View Full Version : How do you condition your scalp?

shikara
March 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Well, I'm feeling some effects of the winter air here in the Canadian prairies (a little - but not much - itching)!!! I have castor oil but I'd like something a little easier to spread around. I think many have had success with olive oil too (how about olive oil Pam hehe), as well as coconut oil. I have some Mane n Tail Olive Oil Creme Moisture Balancing Treatment for length and scalp - I've used it on my length but don't know if I should have any concerns about putting it on my skin (scalp). What treatments have you used to condition your scalp?

Jessikinz
March 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I have been using coconut oil. Massage it on my scalp when I get the itchies or if I notice I'm flaking. Works well for me. Oh and I always try and put some sort of moisture on my hair everyday so it doesn't dry out. I put some water in a spray bottle with conditioner and aloe vera gel, and spray it a few times on my scalp and the length of my hair.

Good luck! winter can be real tough.

LisaMonster
March 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Seconding coconut oil. I actually just finally got around to discovering the wonder of it recently. I had been using olive oil, which was great for my length, but I still had dry, itchy, flakey scalp. Coconut oil did the trick.

ravenreed
March 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I have used coconut oil right before showering, but I don't like to leave it on my scalp too long or my scalp breaks out. If I am letting oil sit on my scalp for a while, I use a mix of castor oil and camellia oil. I find this helps a lot when I have a flaky scalp or scalp build up.

Fufu
March 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Camellia oil on my scalp works great.

Ishje
March 11th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I use coconut oil, jojoba oil or amla oil.
all 3 of them are great.
I massage it in my hair the evening before I wash, and then braid it :)

Hotrox
March 11th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Never - it already looks like I dipped it in grease pool most mornings, don't need to any any oil to the mix!

RadiantNeedle
March 11th, 2011, 02:29 AM
You can mix oils with your conditioner, too, if you want something easier to apply. There are deep treatments that mix, say, olive oil and conditioner to use from scalp to ends. Maybe experiment with an oil and your favourite conditioner?

skyblue
March 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I noticed that using a apple cider vinegar rinse helped me with the itchys, SMT has helped with that dry feeling on my scalp also just giving yourself a scalp massage will stimulate your natural oils then brushing with a bore hair brush to spread it through out your hair and scalp has helped me a lot

sakuraemily
March 11th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Coconut oil. It is not good to put any chemical products on the scalp including conditioner I've heard.

RocketDog
March 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
White vinegar and chamomile tea rinses seem to help my scalp when it's itchy, especially when I dilute them with cool (NOT cold) water. I usually do a rinse like this the morning I rinse out my henna, using the leftover chamomile tea I use to mix the mud. My hair likes coconut oil, but it makes my scalp break out if I leave it on.

McFearless
March 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I don't think castor oil is moisturizing. Olive or coconut oil pennetrate and do the job pretty well.

trolleypup
March 12th, 2011, 02:43 AM
For my scalp...a strong spray that massages and cleans the scalp, then a vinegar rinse...products on scalp is asking for extra buildup and itchies and all.

Lynda
March 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Monistat or Ketoconazole cream mixed w/ jojoba, coconut,grapeseed, or argan oil. I'm not a fan of olive oil, it smells stenchy on me. :)

princessp
March 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have a mixture of oils that I have been using all winter, but then I tried catnip rinses and wow catnip= total win for dry hair/scalp. Everyone is different, but it works wonderfully for me.