PDA

View Full Version : How Much Hair Do You lose Per Wash?

angel_night
March 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering on average how much hair you would say (or know, if you count like me..lol), you lose each time that you wash your hair?

As some of you may have seen I've been fraking out about my hair breaking off. I never pauid attention to how much hair I'd lose during the day but since I've noticed I've become really aware of it. I can't compare it though to before to know if it's okayish though...

Today I lost at least 90 hairs when I washed it :( Though last time I think it was about 70. It just seems so so much :(

BrightEyes7
March 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM
You can lose about 100-200 hairs per day. The majority comes out when you are washing or brushing.

So yes that is a little high, but everyone is different and sheds at different rates.

I don't lose much hair when I wash but I do lose most of my hair when I brush... I'd say somewhere around 100 hairs a day.

I wouldn't be too worried unless you start to notice considerable thinning to your overall hair volume.

If you do, you may consider seein a doctor. Losing a lot of hair has nothing to do with how much you damage hair. It's a health issue.

Breaking hair is a different story.

angel_night
March 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM
You can lose about 100-200 hairs per day. The majority comes out when you are washing or brushing.

So yes that is a little high, but everyone is different and sheds at different rates.

I don't lose much hair when I wash but I do lose most of my hair when I brush... I'd say somewhere around 100 hairs a day.

I wouldn't be too worried unless you start to notice considerable thinning to your overall hair volume.

If you do, you may consider seein a doctor. Losing a lot of hair has nothing to do with how much you damage hair. It's a health issue.

Breaking hair is a different story.

My worry is is that it is hair breaking off a couple of inches from the root...I just can't tell :( I;m concerned that tyhe breakage is going to continue to spread. I feel like I'm losing too much, or having too much break off...

Tikwichka
March 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Perhaps be more delicate in your hair treatment? Such as combing instead of brushing, and gently applying shampoo, conditioner etc. Try applying oils before you wash, too.

How often do you wash your hair?

Copasetic
March 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have no idea how many hairs I lose when I wash, but I am sure it would look like a lot to other people. I have curly hair, and try to stretch my washes to every three days. That means I basically have three days worth of shed when I wash. It looks like a lot, but its totally a normal amount.

Sophiawavyhair
March 10th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I used to lose a lot of hair, but since I started using Sulfate-free shampoo I stopped shedding as much. Now when I cowash I lose about 10 hairs in the shower, 20-30 when I use organic shampoo, and about 40 when I clarify (sulfate shampoo)

DTsgirl
March 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM
It's actually quite simple to tell if it's breakage or natural shed (and again, 100-200 per day is average shed. Your body looses that many naturally). To tell if it is shed hair, pick one up and find the ends. If one end has a little white-ish bulb, shed. That is the root. No bulb, it's a break. A hair that is yanked out (in my experience) will have more mass at the shed end. A hair that is shed because it's . . . done, I guess, has less mass.

jaine
March 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
This depends on how many days it has been since I last washed it. A longer wait = much more shed hairs.

It also depends on the season for me ... my head hair and body hair is slow to grow and slow to shed in the winter. I get a lot of growth in the summer and a lot of shed hairs in the fall though. It seemed like a lot in the fall so I counted them once ... but I only counted 35 hairs in the shower. I checked a few and found white bulbs so I assumed it was normal.

angel_night
March 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi, thanks for your replies guys :)

When I washed my hair this week I had gone from Sunday to Thursday, so it was quite awhile, so yeah maybe that does explain why so many hairs? Usually I wash it every 3 days, sometimes 4.

I also very rarely brush my hair (except when I put dry shampoo, but thats only my top layers around my crown really), so maybe thata ccounts for more hair shed as well?

I looked at some of the ends today, and yes, most do seem to have the white bulbs, which is reassuring, maybe its shed season?

curlymarcia
March 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
When I wash twice a week I lost around 6 hairs per wash. When I wash once a week I lost around 20 (it's not so bad). And it is shedding, I saw the with bulbs. Anyway, I loose way more hair while combing :(

bigeyedgirl829
March 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I haven't counted yet... in fear of being depressed. I'm still going through the postpartum hair loss so I lose bunches and bunches. But I might be higher cuz of that.

-Cookiez-
March 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I lose maybe about 30-50 in the shower?

I normally comb it out and such before and such though that is when I lose the most.

Firefox7275
March 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I don't brush dry shampoo out as that doesn't seem very effective; I stroke *gently* with a microfibre towel. My hair breaks off but you can tell where - my hairdresser pointed out I have far more fluffy bits at the back (ponytail) and I have whole tendrils at the temples. :( If you can't see more short hairs than normal and you haven't done anything silly with chemicals, your hair probably is not breaking off.

lara grace
March 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I only ever find two or three in the shower, but a load could just be falling out and washing down the drain without me noticing?

Red_Wednesday
March 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
In the winter I'd say I shed about 35 hairs per day, so if I shampoo every 3 to 4 days, I just multiply the 35 by the number of days without washing.

From about late June thru mid August though my shedding increases quite a bit, so I'd say it's bumped up to about 65 to 70 hairs per day. I think I'm one of those seasonal shedders:confused:.

jeanniet
March 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Between washing and brushing out after a wash, I'd say between 25 and 50 hairs. I have a lot of hair, so I shed on the higher end of average.

ouseljay
March 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I've never counted the number of hairs I shed in the shower, there are way too many. I shower about once a week, and I usually get a small handful off the drain cap, and I know I lose hairs throughout the day too so that's not the only time I lose hair.

I'd thought that was pretty normal, but now you folks have me a little worried. :confused:

MissEarlGrey
March 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I lose maybe 10-15 while in the shower and maybe another 10-15 while combing after shower.

DTsgirl
March 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Also keep in mind, if you're going by the size of the hair wad of yuck in the shower drain, the longer your hair is, the more it's going to look like you shed. My poor DH loses more hair in the shower than I do, but because my hair is 10 times longer than his, it looks like I lose way more. So he thinks I shed more than him (and I am so NOT telling him the truth. He would be so sad:rolleyes:).

jasper
March 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I sometimes feel like I am losing a lot when I wash, but really, I don't handle my hair that much between washings and I wear it up, so lots of my shed hairs are just waiting for the wash day to go on and part company with me.

As my hair has gotten longer, a single shed hair is a much bigger, more noticeable item, so that makes me feel like I am losing more too. I try not to worry about it, and have never gone so far as to count hairs.

tinywife
March 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I lose about 15 per wash, and maybe 10 more combing it out.

BunnyBee
March 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
More than "average"I think, whatever that is. Ridiculous amounts if I use coconut oil on my scalp I've discovered. They are all from the root, not broken off, which makes me feel marginally better.

Unless your hair is visibly thinning at a fast rate, don't worry. Stress is not good for hair.

RadiantNeedle
March 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
50-120 hairs >.> I'm having a bad shed atm, too.

jojo
March 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I don't normally noticeably shed a lot, however at the moment, well for the past month or so ive been shedding small furry animals due to an out of control thyroid problem. I wouldnt dare count them, id cry!

Lynda
March 12th, 2011, 12:58 AM
A handful, too many to count. My hair is in decent shape and stays thick, so I don't worry.

What I DO hate is finding a two foot long hairs around the house! Or in your panties, in a *weird* place. Yuckomundo!:o

co.co
March 12th, 2011, 02:50 AM
What I DO hate is finding a two foot long hairs around the house! Or in your panties, in a *weird* place. Yuckomundo!:o

Lmao! I just wish I HAD any two foot long hairs :P
Anyway I'm brand new - my first post! Although I have been lurking for a while :eyebrows:
I've been freaking out over the amount of hair I've been losing (probably around 50-70 each wash) but this thread is totally putting my fears to rest!

x0h_bother
March 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Well I only count ones from my hands that I catch. It used to be 7 per wash, daily. Now it is 9 per wash daily. If I go two days without a wash, usually it's 14-18 hairs, but sometimes I'm suprised that if I wear my hair down it's only 9. And if I wear my hair up, I count on getting at least 18 hairs (from not able to fall out like when it's down.)

You all do bring up a good point about combing too. I comb once right after wash, not before wash, and finger comb unintentionally throughout the day, usually wearing hair down.

Lynda
March 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I never, ever cook with my hair down. :o

I'm sooo afraid of a guest finding one of my ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- long hairs in their grub!

EEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!;)

chachagrace
September 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Now that my hair is starting to get "long" (it's only ASL, but I've been pixie-ish for years) I have to admit that I'm a little grossed out by finding my hairs all over the place. Today I found one of my hairs in my daughter's diaper.
I have never counted how many hairs I lost during the hair-washing process, and I'm curious, so I will count next time. All I know is that it amounts to a couple of little hair balls.

jaine
September 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
My shed rate suddenly decreased this week...maybe my summer growth spurt is ending. :(
I'm happier to see lots of shed hairs because I really want fairytale ends...

Hiriel
September 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I have no idea, but a whole lot. I shed a lot in general. My hair is thick, but not coarse, I so suppose I must have a higher number of individual hairs than average, so it doesn't surprise me that I shed more than average either.

dRummie
September 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I had a freaky shed during most of august, searched the forum, and one of the possibilities that came up was a seasonal shed. Apparently people tend to get them around fall/spring, so I suppose that would vary with your climate. Mine started right about when the summer heat ended, and lasted a month. I was losing around 100 hairs per day, and it felt like soo much. Now I'm back to around 40-50, and it feels much more normal. Just another idea :)

Jing
September 7th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I think it's around 50-60, and I wash every four days. I've only counted once, and I wasn't very exact about it. I've always shed a lot, mostly during showers. I also shed a bit extra whenever I put any kind of oil on my scalp.

MajorasMask
September 7th, 2011, 01:05 AM
50-75 hairs? I leave it up most of the time.

Chetanlaiho
September 7th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I used to lose loads but back then I never paid attention (and I was eating pretty, well, really badly so that probably attributed). When I switched to more LHC worthy methods it went down dramatically (no longer pulling hairballs out of the shower drain! =D) but this summer it went back to being crazy again =(

I think I lose well up to a 100 when I wash it, maybe more if you include the hair that comes out with combing it afterwards (which is also, A LOT).

chachagrace
September 9th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Okay, I counted the last time I took a shower, and it was around 100 hairs. I wash every three days and keep it up for two days before I shower. I noticed that I lost the most hairs when I was first wetting and shampooing, and by the time I was washing out my conditioner I wasn't losing very many. They all fell out right away, so I'm assuming those were what hadn't fallen out with my hair being up.

celebriangel
September 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'd say about 20...maybe more? I used to shed loads in the shower but no longer. I shed a lot while combing, though. I'd say about 20 in the morning and 20 at night.

PurusNox
September 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I don't really have hair fall out when I wash, more when i'm towel drying or brushing.

Auburn_locks
September 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I lose quite a lot in the shower (maybe 50-70?) but I wash every 3 days or so so I guess it's not too bad. I did move into my new house 5 days ago and already have hair EVERYWHERE though, even though I mostly wear it up. Plus it's bright red so I can't deny it was me. Oops. I hope my housemates don't mind :lol:

I was getting a bit worried about it but I feel reassured after reading this thread! Hopefully just a seasonal shed.

Loreley
September 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM
During washing usually 0-5 but after that when I comb my hair I lose about 10-20.

Mayflower
September 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Around 3 hairs maybe. I mostly lose hairs when I'm combing/detangling it, just because I don't always have the patience to do it carefully. Otherwise, I don't shed much at all in general.

spidermom
September 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Never have, never will count my shed hairs.

RitaPG
September 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
That depends on a lot of things.
If I detangled and brushed it before washing, I lose around 10, 15 strands.
Recently it I've been losing more, it's called seasonal shedding and it's normal.
If I forget to detangle before washing I will lose a lot more, because I keep my hair up all day and the sheds of the day are still there.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
During a washing, maybe 5-10? Im very gentle with my hair, lol. Brushing is maybe 20-30. I dont really count either times.

SusanSt
September 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I've never actually counted (just estimated) but I probably lose around 10 after a wash. (I used to shed more when using sulfate shampoos.)

MrsGuther
September 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I lose maybe about 6 to 10 hairs in the shower when I wash my hair. My husband recently commented about my hair shed (or lack there of). He told me "It seems like you don't shed very many hairs any more since you've been taking better care of your hair hunny." Now I don't think shed rate has much to do with how "good" one takes care of their hair necessarily, but it still made me feel good that he took the time to comment on my hair and give me a compliment.