PDA

View Full Version : Very Uneven Hemline to Cut or not to Cut?

pink.sara
March 9th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I am growing out an aysymmetric Pob and have not cut since June 2010 but am now at shoulder with a really uneven hemline :(
It is really noticeable when my hair is down as I have really thick straight hair, and even though it is doing the flicking thing at shoulder someone did comment really loudly on the bus last week about it in a pretty horrible way that made me question just growing through this to APL at the back then cutting.
If i post a pic can I get some opinions on if it is actaully truely awful and I should cut it to the shortest layer?! Thanks in advance for all advice :o
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/eeb1a23c.jpg

Tiina
March 9th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I wouldn't say it is horrible but it does look a bit 'off' to me. Just a small trim might make a big difference. In any case, no matter what others say, ultimately it is your hair and your decision what to do with it.

Dina L.
March 9th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I would cut just the sides if the hair in the middle is healthy.

CarpeDM
March 9th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I would trim it up and even it out a bit on the sides. Loving the coloring by the way!

pariate
March 9th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't say it is horrible but it does look a bit 'off' to me. Just a small trim might make a big difference. In any case, no matter what others say, ultimately it is your hair and your decision what to do with it.

I agree. Maybe a small trim to the sides, but it's about your goals rather than what other people think :) If you feel self-conscious wearing it loose, maybe you could experiment with some updos? I know the styles for your length aren't as numerous as those for loooooooooooooooooooong hair, but there are some.

selderon
March 9th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I'm bothered when my hair feels uneven. Asymmetry is fine as long as it looks intentional.

How do YOU feel about it?

RadiantNeedle
March 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I think the back of my hair was at about APL before I trimmed the front while growing out my asymetrical bob. But mine was a very extreme one, with a veeeery long front compared to the back, so what I did...
Was cut face framing layers, the shortest being at about chin length. The longest section was around mid back. Did it look weird? Probably! I didn't care much though, and wearing it UP made a huge difference. I think you're at the right length for cute piggytails! Or even two lil braids. That will completely disguise any length disparity.

So don't get discouraged by people's comments! I mean, someone said something on the bus? That's really damn rude!! Stuff'em!

Tigermama
March 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I agree with wearing it up, especially if it will stress you out to cut or trim. Pigtails would look cool, or two low or high buns for a few months while you are deciding. When it is longer it may be easier to let some go..

UltraBella
March 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I think your back is at a good length now to trim the sides to match. My daughter went through the same thing and she was very hesitant to let go of the length on the sides, but when she finally did it looked so nice and she was so much happier.

pink.sara
March 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Hmm, thanks for the honesty gals. I think maybe I'll keep doing what I have been and pinning the sides up with victory rolls and flowers to hide it! Cutting the sides to the length at the back would make it too short to ponytail at all :( which after growing out damage for 2 years now would upset me greatly!
Gah! Why are people so mean?!
Roll on APL and some updo possibilities.

LoversLullaby
March 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM
If you are uncomfortable with it, then trim it up a bit. I'd just trim off the sides so that it's even all the way, because it looks pretty healthy for the most part. It looks a bit off to me, but it's definitely not something that is terrible. I like your different toned hair though. :) Let us see pictures if you decide to trim. Happy growing! :)

Demetrue
March 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Actually, I think it looks intentional and goes with your overall style - the colorful tattoo on your back and the dramatic, intentional dyed tips/undergrowth. I would leave it alone and ignore anyone on the bus that starts criticizing you. If it weren't the length of your hair, they would criticize something else about you - you don't need to change what you like about yourself to please someone on the bus. Once the shortest layer gets to the length you want, then you can even out the longer side pieces.

Lianna
March 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I really like this (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/415170649_b00b3a3988.jpg) look. I'm not sure if you could just put those longer bits to the front, but if you can't, you could trim it like this.

UP Lisa
March 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Personally, I would even it up. But that's just me.

lapushka
March 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
If you wear it down more, then I'd have someone even it up for you, but if you wear the sides up or ponytail it (almost) all of the time, then I don't see the problem. I kinda get how that extra length is valuable to you for updos.

Don't talk to me about the kinds of people who would comment loudly about you in your presence. :roll: Ignore them!

Arya
March 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I would give it a slight trim to make the asymmetrical hemline *more* asymmetrical. That way it would be more obvious it was on purpose, and someone didn't just cut your ponytail off. You wouldn't lose as much hair, either.

pink.sara
March 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I really like this (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/415170649_b00b3a3988.jpg) look. I'm not sure if you could just put those longer bits to the front, but if you can't, you could trim it like this.

I really do like this look and that was what I was hoping I could do with mine at shoulder but it is way too thick without razoring it massively or straightening it everyday to lie flat enough for this :(

I have been trimming the ends gradually to even them up so maybe I'll take an inch off the left longer part and at least have the sides even.

Thanks again for the input ladies :)

ericthegreat
March 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I would trim the two longer sides to make an A-line bob, you know the kind of bob that is longer in the front and short in the back. That way, you can still keep most of the length on the sides so that you can still pin them back up.

I don't think that you need to cut the sides all the way up to the short length you have in the back, that's just a needless loss of precious length. Your hair has grown out enough now that you could get such a haircut.