PDA

View Full Version : White dots at ends of hair, Help!!!!

sakuramoon08
March 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
:confused: So I have these white dots at the ends of my hair. However they are only visible in the sun light. They are most prominent when I cut my hair. I did buy special hair cutting scissors. I don't know what is wrong, are they split ends? Going to be split ends? I've never seen them become split ends. Please help explain these to me! Thanks!

HintOfMint
March 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
If they never become splits, I wouldn't fuss. For some people, white dots at the very ends means they will turn into splits but if that never happens to you, why worry?

Also, white dots are mainly a problem when they appear above the ends of the hair.

perizade
March 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Mine always become split ends. You're quite lucky!

Zefyra
March 7th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Ive noticed something similar when I cut my hair and Ive concluded that its just because the hair has been cut recently so its a fresh clean line as opposed to the softer, more tapered ends of uncut hair. I have no clue if that explanation made sense....

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
these are hair split embryos :) mine always develop into splits, normally I get them when my hair has been exposed to heat; artificial, washing hair in too hot water or sun. Blunt scissors can also make these white dots appear.

Also the longer hair gets, the older it is and more prone to damage. If all it is is white dots, rather than splits you could try a dusting and just taking - <--- this much off the ends.

My hairs fine and prone to damage, no matter how kind I am to it. In fact ive just broke my year without a trim because my ends where looking poor, ive just trimmed __ <--- this much off and it feels and looks much better.

You could try a teeny bit of oil on the very ends and keep it bunned, this will limit any damage.

sakuramoon08
March 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE]Ive noticed something similar when I cut my hair and Ive concluded that its just because the hair has been cut recently so its a fresh clean line as opposed to the softer, more tapered ends of uncut hair. I have no clue if that explanation made sense.... [QUOTE]

I thought that too, but i've had so many people they will become split ends. The ones that I can see when not in the sun I do cut off, but those are very few. I'm going to just leave my hair alone for awhile and see what happens. Thanks alot!

HeatherJenae
March 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
In my experience, almost all of my shed hairs have white dots at the end. Like, that is the signal that that particular hair is just done and was ready to fall out. It's usually not split, just has a white dot at the very end. Sorry that's not an explanation. I'm not really sure what's up with it but if it makes you self conscious you could get a big old magnifying glass and take a good look at those hairs and see if you can glean any info from them, like are they split, is the end just needing a trim. Plus it will help you see much better if you do want to snip them off. Hope this helped a little! :)

McFearless
March 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM
If they are at the very tip of your hair they usually develop into splits. In they are in the middle or anywhere on the shaft your hair will break off at that spot.

dropinthebucket
March 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I suddenly had a ton of white dots in the last 3 inches of my hair a couple of months back. Had a lot of good suggestions here on LHC about it. Turned out the problem was a change in how I was washing my hair:
-before, I was washing it in a basin with lukewarm water
-i moved and started just washing it in the bathtub when i took my bath
The hot water of the bath (I take mine hot!) did a real number on my hair. Went back to basin washing, all good now. Don't know if this is a help in your case, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

CarpeDM
March 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I had a slew of them on newer growth hairs a few months ago. I'm not sure why or how they came about, but I went on a heavy S&D mission. Now I have healthy ends again and I haven't seen any more whities or splits in months ;)

enfys
March 8th, 2011, 07:38 AM
If they don't become split ends, and they don't case you any bother (such as, you think people might think they are splits and it stresses you out) then I would just leave them.

I usually trim mine becaues I usually find them among splits. You're lucky if they don't split!

Cheeks1206
March 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM
After 2 1/2 years of not trimming, I eventually got those little white dots on my ends. As it turns out, they did eventually split, but that was after watching them for months. The week that I found my first two splits (last week) I went out to buy some trimming shears from Sally Beauty Supply. DH and I trimmed my hair last Saturday and the ends feel much better despite tufting amount we took off. That said, I do agree with the PP that said if yours don't split, why worry? Just keep an eye on them and trim when you feel like you need to.

sakuramoon08
March 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
It's a bit odd, because they are only visible in a strong light, and as soon as I trimmed the hair with a certain white dot, I could still see it. This is what led me to believe that it might just be the hair cut, and not a actual split end.

spidermom
March 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
As already mentioned, I've noticed that freshly cut hairs look white at the end, I think because of the cut and exposure of the cortex. I don't have a lot of split ends at the very bottom; splits tend to occur on hairs higher up. I have no idea why.

sakuramoon08
March 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Agh!!!! I trimmed my hair and I can still see these white dots. Is it because I'm holding my hair at a certain angle to the sun? Is that why I can see them? My scissors are new, I accidently sliced my finger on them checking to see how sharp they were! Does this mean I have to cut alot of my hair off? :(

Cheeks1206
March 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
It seems odd that sharp scissors would leave white dots on the ends ... Maybe it is the lighting. I'm currently in an office, so the lighting isn't the greatest, but I don't notice any white dots on the ends. They were just trimmed last Saturday. You can try getting new scissors, although I jinks you should maybe watch it for a while to see what happens. It might end up being nothing.

sakuramoon08
March 9th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks, I don't know what it is and it's driving me mad! Perhaps it's the angle of the light, because i'm in sunlight right now... and pretty much all my hair has it. No matter how much I cut or with what I still have them. It's hard to put away the scissors for awhile, but I don't want to lose my length... :( This is depressing I've had long hair since I can remember!

pixistixx
March 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I notice this when I SD in the sunlight... it's like the end is so blunt that it reflects the sun on the flat surface, and kind of glows. i don't see it under flourescents. P.S. I only know this because i just noticed while waiting for someone in the car yesterday lol. It kind of has a fiber optic like effect. I wouldn't worry about it!

Mesmerise
March 9th, 2011, 05:59 PM
It doesn't sound to me as if this is a problem. The only white dots you really have to worry about (I think!) are those that occur in the middle of the hair shaft...where you'll see a dot maybe an inch or two up the length of the hair. If you bend the hair, you'll see it sort of folds at this dot, which is a point of weakness...and the hair will generally break off at this point, thus causing a split end.

However, if you're trimming with sharp scissors and you see the dot at the cut end, I can't see how it's a problem. It's just a blunt end and probably perfectly healthy!

Lisa R
March 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I have the same thing and was about to post a thread on it but thought I would read this thread. first. Lucky I did cause it's exactly what I was going to post a thread about.

I don't think they are split ends about to happen cause when I cut the shiney dot at the end it's still there. I do think it has to do with the sunlight and the angle the hair is on. I'm telling myself not to worry about it cause no amount of trimming those hair's with the shiney dot does anything. My hair is healthy and I hardly find a split end so I'm telling myself those shiney white dot looking things aren't serious.

sakuramoon08
March 10th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thank you! Geez you guys have totally appeased my fears! I was scared for awhile. Thank you guys sooooo soooo much! I do belive it is as pixistixx said. And by the way, all of you have gorgeous hair!