PDA

View Full Version : What to do with all my old products?

systemaurora
June 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think I'm going to toss out everything I used to use on my body with the exceptions of medications, toothpaste, deodorant, a few nice smelling body sprays and lotions, Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap, carmex, and a tube of benzoyl peroxide (just in case). Included but not limited in this massive cleanout of my desk, dresser, makeup bags, bathtub, counters, and under sink space is:

-LOTS of lotions, bath gels, etc. Mostly stuff from bath kits people gave me.
-Old perfume (several bottles)
-Lots and lots and lots of hair products. I might keep a single can of hairspray, just in case. I have TONS of creams, sprays, gels, shampoos, conditioners, and random other products. Seriously, a couple of walmart bags worth. I never did find anything to work with my hair, lol.
-Scented Bath salts (eh, might keep those)

...and I'm really not even sure what else there is. O_o I'm scared to get started until I know what to do with it. So. What should I do with it? lol. Donate it? Give it to friends? It's all pretty cheap, not that interesting. I'm thinking of trashing it, but it's got to be like $500 worth of accumulated stuff. Kind of sad to see it go to waste, not to mention the environmental ramifications of it!

Ideas? I'm really not sure where to start.

susiemw
June 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Donate it all to your local homeless shelter, or a shelter for abused women etc.... They would all appreciate these items.

Think of all the great empty cabinet space you'll have for hair toys once all of this stuff is gone! LOL

Susan

systemaurora
June 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
lol, I totally did tell myself that! :D "As a reward for cleaning out all this junk, I'm totally going to buy a couple more hair things!

Nevermore
June 8th, 2008, 10:48 PM
If it's unopened and not past its expiration date, see about donating it either to the Salvation Army (or similar) or to a place that gives free haircuts and styling to shut ins, people in old folks homes and people in half way house-type places. I don't know of any specifics about that, but google and see as I'm sure they'd be happy to have your unused products. The perfume might make a good gift for a pre-teen girl in your life, maybe a neice or young cousin? I know I really wanted to wear it as a kid. Same with lotions and the like.

If it's past its expiration date or opened, even if you never ended up using it, unfortunately it has to go out, but you already knew that. I hate when that happens though.

edit: Also, if shampoo is also in those bags of products, see about giving it to a children's home. We donated loads of stuff to the battered women and children's place when we moved, including the surplus shampoo I had (generally V05 that we'd gotten two bottles of and never opened the second bottle for some reason). They seemed particularly pleased with that.

coppercurls
June 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I have been known to use shampoos & bath gels (that didn't work for whatever reason) as hand soap, cleaning the tub, toilet, bathroom sink etc.

Shampoo that has a lot of detergent in it actually works pretty good as a stain remover in the laundry room.

Just throwing out some ideas~

Carolyn
June 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I tried to donate things that I had tried and didn't like to the abused women's shelter. They wouldn't take them. Maybe you can find friends or family to give them to. At least they would get used that way. Remind them that shampoos make great body washes and conditioners make great shaving cream. If you can't give them away you could try the swap board here. I personally have no worries about expiration dates on hair products that have not changed smell or color. If that doesn't work for you, you'll probably have to toss the stuff.

Cinnamon Hair
June 8th, 2008, 11:21 PM
It seems like hairspray is a good stain remover? I know I have heard that somewhere before, but never tried it myself. Personally, I think it makes a great bug killer so long as the bug landed where I can easily clean off the hairspray later.

Lotion is good for shaving.

sapphire-o
June 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
For your perfumes, try ebay. I've seen people selling half used bottles. As long as they are not too old and changed color/smell. I gave all my sulfate shampoos to my brother and saved a couple nice smelling ones for hand soap. All my conditioners went to my husband, whose hair can never have too much conditioner. :D Shower gels are pretty much the same as soap so I use them as hand soap or for bubble bath.

frizzinator
June 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think it's the alcohol in the hairspray that will dissolove difficult stains such as ink.

mommy2one05
June 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
what about ebay or the swap board here?
Also you might try craigslist...it's like ebay but without all the fees.

SHELIAANN1969
June 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Are you not interested in using it at all? Did you change routines (with the shampoos etc) and just decide you didn't like your current products anymore?

I had a lot of stuff too and decided to use it up, instead of buying new, more expensive stuff.

I recently used some shampoo that was in plastic bottle, that had been crushed and was on it's last leg, as laundry soap, it works!

I also am using up a bunch of Yves Rocher shower gels as handwashing soaps, I even dilute them and I won't need any for a long while. I can't use it on my whole body due to it making me itch, but I can use it as a handwash with no problems.

And like someone else said, I dump some in the toilet as a cleanser too.

Delenn
June 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I used up my old shampoo/conditioner as shave gel, worked awesome.

Kirin
June 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Definately find new uses for your old items. I know I know we all want to be rid of stuff we don't like or don't use, but you'll have a hard time finding someone to take used personal hygene items, or perfumes off your hands.

The perfumes I dont know, but anything that lathers can be used as mentioned above as hand soap, laundry soap, and shampoo works great with a scrub brush to clean the bathtub and toilet (I kid you not lol).

wintersun99
June 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
When I decided that I was going to stop using chemicals, as much as possible, I tossed everything (yes, it was wasteful, but I wasn't going to use it up, nor was anyone else) except the shampoo - which I used for cleaning the tub, toilet, sink, etc.

Celebrian
June 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have been known to use shampoos & bath gels (that didn't work for whatever reason) as hand soap, cleaning the tub, toilet, bathroom sink etc.

Shampoo that has a lot of detergent in it actually works pretty good as a stain remover in the laundry room.

Just throwing out some ideas~

Yes, I second this. That's what I do with surplus shampoo - and conditioners can do a nice job of cleaning the bath and sink sometimes. Leaves a nice pong!

Chromis
June 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Toss it up on Freecycle!

Riot Crrl
June 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Can anyone recommend an alternative use for FrizzEase serum? LOL.

systemaurora
June 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM

no 'poo or coconut oil, shea butter, or jojoba oil...

I did it! I threw out most of the cheaper stuff and the perfumes (they had indeed changed smell and color, gross), then gave some of the nicer/unopened stuff to my mom to go through. Whatever she doesn't want I'll probably give to my sister or else just toss.

Fencai
June 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
i'd say either donate them, or put them up on Freecycle.org
I see lots of body products up there

Riot Crrl
June 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
no 'poo or coconut oil, shea butter, or jojoba oil...

Hahaha! I already know that, now I want to know what to use the FrizzEase serum for that I have from the old days. Can I waterproof hiking boots with it or something?

coppercurls
June 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Grease the hamster/gerbil/rat/hedgie/chinchilla wheel? :eyebrows: