PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Blonde

Atherea
January 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM
hey everyone, i have looked through the forum, not finding many hair care tips, tricks for color treated hair.... my hair is about boob length, wavy, but is very damaged, and dry. im finding myself trimming all the time, or pulling out the ends of my hair when i put in conditioner..... HELP ME!!!!:mad:

LoveMyLongHair
January 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM
CO washing and Coconut Oil..........my two reccomendations and SMT..........I color my hair as well......and have no splits or white dots....it takes work, but it can be done.

Rocket22
January 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I second the co with shampoo sometimes, (im pretty new to co but starting to love it) and Coconut oil has really saved me as well!

Atherea
January 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM
tell me what co washing is?? and do u apply the coconut oil before u wash or just at ur ends?

littlenvy
January 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Do test first how your hair likes coconut oil. It does not work for some people since it sometimes becomes drying.
However; if coconut oil does not work for you, Extra Virgin Olive Oil will.
I would also try SMT first. You can find info on how to do it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Do you use shampoo and conditioner with silicones?? Do you heat dry your hair? Heat style it? That too will have very drying effect.

Atherea
January 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
sigh what are silicones hahaha, no i dont touch my hair with heat very often.

littlenvy
January 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
sigh what are silicones hahaha, no i dont touch my hair with heat very often.
Mostly ... anything that ends with -cone. Look at the back of your shampoo bottle and your conditioner bottle.

CO wash is basically when you 'wash' your hair with ..hehe... 'cone' free conditioner. Put it on hair before shower. Keep on anywhere from 5min to 30 min. Then you just rinse your hair. Rinse WELL!! No shampoo at all.

Atherea
January 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
oh wow..... interesting thankyou, so my hair wont get greasy?

Rocket22
January 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
oh wow..... interesting thankyou, so my hair wont get greasy?

I think it takes a little getting used to, I think everyone is different but you should just try it for a bit and see if your hair responds well to it. I think the first few times I did it I did feel greasy but now seems like my hair is really liking it. I still shampoo but just not as much. I'm just now, this month, keeping track of my routine to see what works and what doesn't. Bleach damage has got to be the worst (for me anyways) you can control the damage but once it's done there really isn't anything that will bring that hair back to complete health, but you sure can make it more workable. :)

Lianna
January 13th, 2011, 11:44 PM
A few links for you. :)

Any *Chemical* Color Treateds Here? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=889)
Bottle blonde grows long! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21256)
Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)
To cone or not to cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)
Conditioner Only Washes - TLHC Style (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)

Katze
January 14th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Welcome here.

I bleached my hair for about twenty years. My hair was always as you describe, and never got past 'boob length.' After coming to LHC and giving up heat and bleach, my hair is heading towards waist and is thicker, healthier, and shinier than it ever was since I was 13 or so.

Yes, some people can bleach and have long hair, and keep their hair in good condition. But bleach opens the cuticle and damages the structure of the individual hairs. So if your hair is fine (like mine) there is less there in each individual hair, so it gets damaged more easily. If your hair is wavy (like mine) it needs more moisture, which bleach strips out, and the opening of the cuticle means it is hard to keep it moisturized, if that makes sense.

That is one of the reasons we are so into hair typing - understanding your hair type can help you understand what it needs, what you should avoid, etc. etc.

I do miss being blonde, but I prefer my hair to look healthy, and as I get older and see bleached-blonde ladies of a certain age, am grateful to be natural. :)

hth!

Kaeita
January 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM
For CO washing, I've read that some people apply the conditioner twice - ie put it on and leave for whatever length of time you choose, then rinse, then apply again and leave while you do your shower things, then rinse again. This is a method that has worked for me too, as it sometimes still feels a bit greasy after the first rinse.

NouvelleNymphe2
January 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
silicone = anything ending in -xane, -cone, or -onol ( or so i have been told). Buy an organic shampoo and conditioner with no cones. You WILL see a difference, and fast. :cheese:

Anje
January 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM
My usual recipe for upset hair: Clarify + SMT.

To clarify, I suggest you use a fairly harsh sulfate shampoo like Neutrogena Anti-Residue or Prell Classic (though lots of others will work too), and suds your hair from scalp to tips. Maybe twice. That will help get rid of any residues that may be built up on your hair, preventing moisture from getting in.

SMTs are a nice moisturizing treatment that a lot of us like. The recipe is here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128).

Finally, you might benefit from oiling your ends. Coconut oil is a good one to start with. Look in the organic section or among the oils in groceries, not in the haircare section. You want something you could eat.

Your shopping list:

Clarifying Shampoo (Prell classic, Neutrogena Anti-Residue, or something else that says "clarifying" on it and contains a "____ Sulfate" ingredient high on the list)
Honey
Clear Aloe gel
Conditioner, if you're low
Coconut oil (edible)

chopandchange
January 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I disagree with what people are saying about not using silicones.

In my personal experience, back when my own hair was also damaged due to bleaching it blonde, silicones were essential and worked wonderfully for my hair. But everyone's different. Maybe you will do better without them.

Pandora.
January 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I disagree with what people are saying about not using silicones.

In my personal experience, back when my own hair was also damaged due to bleaching it blonde, silicones were essential and worked wonderfully for my hair. But everyone's different. Maybe you will do better without them.

Agreed completely.

My hair has been bleached a lot, and it thinned out A LOT. I had to stop the constant bleaching and only get my roots done. Ever since, my hair has grown better and half my hair is quite thick, and the other half is quite fine, but once the fine length has grown out it will be quite thick again. I'm just grateful I really liked the color of my hair (veryyyy light blonde) as I was so upset at what I had done to it.

I would suggest CWC washing methods, SMT's, coconut oil and silicone products. Oh and clarifying every now and then. It seems to work for me.