PDA

View Full Version : HENNA - How to maximize the red and minimize the orange?

mdrew
December 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
How to maximize the red and minimize the orange?
I am using body art quality henna and would like to achieve more of a red colour than a copper or orange. What can I add to the mixture or change in my process to achieve these results?
Thank you!

little_cherry
December 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM
The best way to maximize red is to do multiple applications..the first one is always orange if you use pure BAQ henna. You could add hibiscus to your henna to help push the orange to a red.

mdrew
December 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM
The best way to maximize red is to do multiple applications..the first one is always orange if you use pure BAQ henna. You could add hibiscus to your henna to help push the orange to a red.

hibiscus? the flower? You mean the essential oil right? How much should I add?

Thank you for your help!

RocketDog
December 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hibiscus tea, actually. I tried adding paprika to give an extra oomph of red but after trying it without paprika realized that the 'extra red' was all in my head.

If you've got lighter natural hair, I'd recommend staying away from Jamila if you don't want copper/orange tones. I get a very natural looking 'irish setter' red from multiple application on my blonde hair, and as of yet I haven't gotten into 'true' red territory yet. Fine by me, since I like the color I'm achieving, but you might want one of the redder hennas...

mdrew
December 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hibiscus tea, actually. I tried adding paprika to give an extra oomph of red but after trying it without paprika realized that the 'extra red' was all in my head.

If you've got lighter natural hair, I'd recommend staying away from Jamila if you don't want copper/orange tones. I get a very natural looking 'irish setter' red from multiple application on my blonde hair, and as of yet I haven't gotten into 'true' red territory yet. Fine by me, since I like the color I'm achieving, but you might want one of the redder hennas...

how can I find a redder henna?

thank you!

madeline_
December 20th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Have you considered doing a Manic Panic or Elumen over the henna? this is what I am planning to do: I don't want to build up too much, it was a really difficult decision to bleach before hennaing, and I don't want to get too dark again.

little_cherry
December 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
how can I find a redder henna?

thank you!
A few applications of Yemeni or Rajasthani will give you a 'redder' henna.

Mina83
December 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM
You can freeze your henna, then thaw it.
Instead of using water, use grapes juice.

Drynwhyl
December 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
I was going to suggest doing manic panic over it (or even mixing it in the henna)
Or multiple applications, but that could result in a very dark shade of orange :P
Some suggest adding red wine to the mix, but I heard it can be drying to the hair.

madeline_
December 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Things like red wine, hibiscus, paprika, ... only give a temporary stain that will wash out, unfortunately. I add a bit of hibiscus, but only for good luck. :)

Roscata
December 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
To get redder results, try adding: ground cloves, cognac, grape juice (for a more bluish red), Beetroot powder or juice (for a more true red), Paprika powder to the mix.
Celebration and yemen henna are BAQ hennas which are suppose to give a ruby red color.

CurlyTresses
December 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
To get redder results, try adding: ground cloves, cognac, grape juice (for a more bluish red), Beetroot powder or juice (for a more true red), Paprika powder to the mix.
Celebration and yemen henna are BAQ hennas which are suppose to give a ruby red color.

@ Roscata, Where can Beetroot powder or juice be purchased from? TIA :)

Also, when saying these are temporary, do they wash out in one wash or after several washes? Hoping color effect can last for couple months or so? TIA :)

Originally Posted by little_cherry

A few applications of Yemeni or Rajasthani will give you a 'redder' henna.

Agreeing, Yemeni and Rajasthani giving redder results. :)

mdrew
December 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thank you all so much for your help, I'm going to my store to look for Yemeni and Rajasthani :)

CurlyTresses
December 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Thank you all so much for your help, I'm going to my store to look for Yemeni and Rajasthani :)

If you can't find them at your local store, you can look at HennaSooq.com. I use her Yemeni and am pretty pleased with its quality. It's all BAQ - good customer service and great shipping. :)

Roscata
December 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
@ Roscata, Where can Beetroot powder or juice be purchased from? TIA :)

Also, when saying these are temporary, do they wash out in one wash or after several washes? Hoping color effect can last for couple months or so? TIA :)

I'm not really sure where to find beet root juice and powder, I'd guess a local health food store would be your best bet. :shrug:

The extra redness is temporary, in my case (2 washes per week) it is pretty much gone one month and a half later. Henna is permanent. Remember: you don't date, henna you marry it. Seriously. :agree:

little_cherry
December 23rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=2) is a really good article..

Catlover
July 21st, 2011, 05:22 AM
Hello Roscata - I love what you wrote above - you don't date henna, you marry it. How true!! I thought I would try and divorce it (get it out of my hair as I am rather grey and white and pepper and salt), however, after a period of 5-6 weeks of no root touch up - it snaggled me again and we are back in love!!

Catlover
July 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
As for darkening henna try a couple of tablespoons of clove powder and some cajaput eo, a good few drops works wonders.

Also I have used beetroot juice in the past, either from tinned beetroot or cooked my own and used the juice from that.

Hope this is of some help.

Mingle
July 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Good question, I was wondering myself. =)

This is all good information! I'm jotting this down for sure!

whitestiletto
July 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM
I used yemeni Henna and put a spot on my white dog to see... two applications a few weeks apart. it was bright orange for two months before growing out. So I don't believe yemen Henna is ruby.

ETA I purchased Paintbox Fudge in Corvette Red to put over my Henna. Three applications later and three months later it was still orange. I haven't put the Red Fudge in yet but I saw another girl on here who does and it was lovely.

jackie_brown
July 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM
To enhance red tones, avoid add acidic stuff to the mud (no lemon juice, vinegar, tea,..).
I mix my henna powder with plain water, wait for dye release, freeze and defreeze when i have to henna my hair.
I get mahogany colour with red highlight in sunlight :)

alyaziaaah
July 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I use irani henna from the souk, I live in dubai, but when I use it with lemonjuice, applejuice and water it gives me an orange, irish setter colour, but last time I used hibiskustea and red grapejuice and it gave me burgundy. I didn't like the grapejuice smell with the henna so today I used only hibiskus tea. Right now my hair is lOoking dark ruby red on the multiple application parts and dark orange irish setter on my white roots. I have naturally black hair , no grays, but pure whites, maybe 10percentit will get darker in 2 days so I don't know how it will be but I hope, daaaark burgundy.