PDA

View Full Version : Onion juice-hair growth???

BlondeBimbo
December 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I've been using onion juice on my hair. What I've noticed:
-shedding decresed to minimum;
- shiny and strong hair;
- some baby hairs all around;
- and the most important- it made my hair grow faster:)

Warning! The smell is horrible and lasts ages;)

christine1989
December 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you get the juice out of the onion? Can you mix other things in to mask the terrible smell. I would definatly try it is it wasn't for the icky smell :puke:.

DARKMARTIAN
December 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM
What kind of onion did you use? Any particular kind?

Like red as opposed to yellow, or even white... :o

BlondeBimbo
December 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I use my cheese grater:) then I mix the juice with some anti hair loss lotion.

ETA:
I think only white onion works for it. I might be wrong though.

littlenvy
December 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I'm very happy that your hair is growing more and faster :)

but

won't using MSM topically have the same effect without the smell??

BlondeBimbo
December 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hmm to be honest, I've tried everything and onion is the only thing that works on me. I don't really care about my hair's length. I just don't want to get bald too early:)

littlenvy
December 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hmm to be honest, I've tried everything and onion is the only thing that works on me. I don't really care about my hair's length. I just don't want to get bald too early:)
NO ... none of us do.

I was wondering if its just the sulfur in the onion that helps or other factors (calcuim, Vitamin C and iron ):)

What were the intervals for your application? Did you keep track or just did it before washes?

BlondeBimbo
December 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I did it every evening for 2 weeks. Now I do it every 2 days. Really, I'm sick of the smell and was wondering what to do to get rid of it. Any tips?

Yozhik
December 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Great results! I don't think I could live with it, nor do I think my boyfriend would appreciate me as the Onion girl, but I'm pretty tempted with your awesome results!

Perhaps you could try mixing the solution with some essential oil to tone down the smell? I don't know, though, onion is a pretty strong smell, and I don't know how well it might mix with a more flowery scent. :shrug:

Thanks for sharing your miracle product! :flower:

BlondeBimbo
December 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I've heard that mixing onion juice with some alcohol brings better results. I'll try it. Hope the smell won't be more irritating.

littlenvy
December 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I did it every evening for 2 weeks. Now I do it every 2 days. Really, I'm sick of the smell and was wondering what to do to get rid of it. Any tips?
hhmm ... don't know if it will work but putting the juice in the fridge for 30 hour may reduce the smell.

Do you wash with baking soda after?? I works for the onion smell in the kitchen ... so maybe it will make the smell last a little bit less.

jojo
December 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Mustard oil is also effective without having to grate your fingers in the process, its the sulpher in both the onion and mustard which apparently speeds growth. Mustard oil also pongs but only for an hour or so. It can be bought very cheaply from Indian shops.

BlondeBimbo
December 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
hhmm ... don't know if it will work but putting the juice in the fridge for 30 hour may reduce the smell.

Do you wash with baking soda after?? I works for the onion smell in the kitchen ... so maybe it will make the smell last a little bit less.

I think it the juice must be freshly made :( Anyway, there is nothing I can do about the smell.

Girls, you used monistat ! Why don't you try onion juice? It really helps. I think you don't have to do it every day. Once a week will be enough.

DARKMARTIAN
December 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
If its the sulpher as jojo states then be GLAD that it only smells like onion.......and not sulpher

Shooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :p

*waves hand back and forth in front of nose"

Pierre
December 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'd never have thought of putting onion juice on my hair, but I do eat raw onions and raw cabbage (some of it gesauert). Not fond of mustard, though. (Mustard is is the cabbage family.)

CurlyTresses
December 11th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Would using the onion juice overnight and then washing out in morning help with the smell, or does one have to leave in hair for several days? Also using the onion juice on off days or on days when you really don't have to leave the house might work, depending on how often you have to do this treatment or how many hours you'd have to leave on scalp. TIA :)

Igor
December 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM
My standard thought when encountering these “miracle cures” for hair growth (And having been here for over 7 years I have read a lot of them) is that if there were one, true ingredient for great hair that worked for everyone without fail, then everyone in the whole wide world would be using it by now :shrug:

I always wonder when people pick up a new treatment, how much of the effect is just a by-product of the extra activity: If you have something you need to apply to the scalp, you get a nice stimulating massage. If you try to eat something special for your hair, you subconsciously eat healthier. If you know you are doing a treatment of one or another, you are kinder and gentler to your hair. Etc..

That being said, I have read about the onion juice for hair growth before. Onions does have anti oxidant (Shallots supposedly the most of any variety) and anti-inflammatory properties so it’s probably not a bad thing to use on the scalp or in general. If the smell isn’t too much of a bother, then why not :thumbsup:

Onion juice for hair growth (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53629&highlight=onion)
Onion Juice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36007&highlight=onion)

Purdy Bear
December 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM
As far as I can remember, there have been trials with onion juice which were pretty successful especially for male pattern baldness.

I think it not only could be the sulphur but also that the onion family (ie leeks, garlic, etc) have strong antibacterial and antiviral properties.

It might be worth doing internally as well as externally. I wonder if a oil steeped in onion would work as well - ie combineing Jojoba with the onion.

Avital88
December 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Great you have good results, but only the thought of smelling like an onion will never make me try it haha.

Finoriel
December 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
As far as I remember the stinkier the better. Unfortunately.
It's mostly the sulfur in the onion which stinks.
And it's the sulfur which can stimulate hair growth.
So more onion stink, more effect I guess? :shrug:

Though there are a lot of other popular hair things containing sulfur, which do not smell as much as onions do. For example eggs and some oils... colza oil and mustard oil, I think.

I'm sure the only thing which could mask onion smell properly would be neem. :scared: :p Just because it reeks even worse. [/unhelpful]

BlondeBimbo
December 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I thought of adding some onion juice to the shampoo. Would that work as well?

Finoriel
December 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I don't think so, since shampoo does not stay long enough on the scalp to do much.
That's the downside with most herbal treatments, they need time to work.

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Please read this thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66994) and consider yourselves warned before trying this.

Power to you if it works, but I don't think I'll want to stand near you when your hair's wet.

allnaturalboy
December 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Please read this thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66994) and consider yourselves warned before trying this.

Power to you if it works, but I don't think I'll want to stand near you when your hair's wet.

Good god! Thank you for posting that! I thought about trying this for faster growth, but no way in hell am I trying it now. I'll stick to my essential oil blend. I never knew an odor could stick to your body for so long.

Purdy Bear
December 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I wonder if beetroot would work. If you eat onion and its too hot, eatting natural beetroot nutrilises the acid.

BlondeBimbo
December 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I cant believe it smells six months later. You shouldn't have posted that! :)

I believe I've already found a solution. I used Sun-In spray yesterday and the smell was almost gone.

Tatybird
December 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
As I've already mentioned, I am a member of a Russian hair site. On that site we have a special thread about onion juice. Personally, I've never tried it. But the forum members have a lot of recipes for hair care which include onion.
To get the onion juice, you need to grate it. You need to put the grated mixture through a cheese cloth (gauze will work, too) to get just its juice. It will ease your hair wash.
Some people who die their hair say that onion juice dries their hair. That is why it is advised to add some oil to your "onion hair mask".
This is one of the recipe I found on the Russian forum:
2 Tblsp cognate, 1 yolk, 1 Tblsp honey, 1 Tblsp oil (olive, or any oil you like), 1 Tblsp onion oil, 1 Tblsp lemon juice (they say that it eliminates the onion smell), 5 drops of any essential oil (also to eliminate the smell).
To get rid of the onion smell you can try to rinse your hair after the onion juice mask with the following mixture: 1 cup of lukewarm water mixed with 1 cup of apple vinegar (rinse your hair with the vinegar mixture, leave for 5 minutes, rinse with water). Some people mix 1 Tblsp of dry mustard with a small amount of lukewarm water to get the well-mixed mixture. Then they add 1 liter of warm water to it and rinse their hair with this mustard mixture.
Onion juice is believed to reduce shedding, to make your hair grow faster, to make your hair shiny. Mostly, it helps to people who have not dyed their hair.

PrincessBob
December 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM
EEP! :run:
I'm severely allergic to onions, so I wouldn't be able to even allow my spouse to experiment with that stuff.shudder:

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've also heard about onion juice having good results for men with male pattern baldness. I do love onions, but no one else in my household is quite as keen on them, hehe.

Since it's theorized to be the sulphur, I wonder if you could concoct something out of a sulphur soap? I'm not sure if you can get it without a prescription, but it's out there.

MonikaHa
December 14th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Back home (Eastern Europe) my friends swear that EATING lots of onions stimulates hair growth, never heard of actually putting onion juice in the hair itself.
Things you learn.. :)

keepmyhair
December 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Just thought of a way to reduce the smell... what do you guys think?

Make some onion juice and use a dropper to put a few drops straight on the scalp on random areas. If this is done every 2 days then over a period of time the entire scalp should be treated. I am thinking this will greatly reduce the smell, especially if some (good smelling) serum is used on the hair.

However, I do not know if this will be just as effective.

CurlyTresses
December 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
As I've already mentioned, I am a member of a Russian hair site. On that site we have a special thread about onion juice. Personally, I've never tried it. But the forum members have a lot of recipes for hair care which include onion.
To get the onion juice, you need to grate it. You need to put the grated mixture through a cheese cloth (gauze will work, too) to get just its juice. It will ease your hair wash.
Some people who die their hair say that onion juice dries their hair. That is why it is advised to add some oil to your "onion hair mask".
2 Tblsp cognate, 1 yolk, 1 Tblsp honey, 1 Tblsp oil (olive, or any oil you like), 1 Tblsp onion oil, 1 Tblsp lemon juice (they say that it eliminates the onion smell), 5 drops of any essential oil (also to eliminate the smell).
To get rid of the onion smell you can try to rinse your hair after the onion juice mask with the following mixture: 1 cup of lukewarm water mixed with 1 cup of apple vinegar (rinse your hair with the vinegar mixture, leave for 5 minutes, rinse with water). Some people mix 1 Tblsp of dry mustard with a small amount of lukewarm water to get the well-mixed mixture. Then they add 1 liter of warm water to it and rinse their hair with this mustard mixture.
Onion juice is believed to reduce shedding, to make your hair grow faster, to make your hair shiny. Mostly, it helps to people who have not dyed their hair.

Thank you for posting the above, good information. I'm sure applying the juice to scalp is more effective than eating onions, but do they (on this forum) discuss or say anything as to the effects of just eating onions versus applying the juice to scalp? TIA :)

RachelRain
December 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM

This sounds interesting, and actually sounds vaguely similar to something my cousin is doing... I'm going to ask her later. But before I do, I had a question. I looked up cognate and didn't a definition that made sense in this context, so... I hafta ask what that is. (Probably a stupid question, but I'd rather ask it than be curious forever.)

BlondeBimbo
December 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
This sounds interesting, and actually sounds vaguely similar to something my cousin is doing... I'm going to ask her later. But before I do, I had a question. I looked up cognate and didn't a definition that made sense in this context, so... I hafta ask what that is. (Probably a stupid question, but I'd rather ask it than be curious forever.)

She meant COGNAC/Brandy:)

RachelRain
December 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
She meant COGNAC/Brandy:)

that's what I thought, but just in case... thanks :) if she's not doing this already, I actually have some I can give her. yay, another bottle of booze outta my house.

MonikaHa
December 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you for posting the above, good information. I'm sure applying the juice to scalp is more effective than eating onions, but do they (on this forum) discuss or say anything as to the effects of just eating onions versus applying the juice to scalp? TIA :)

They just say eating one raw onion per day makes your hair grow like crazy, I don't know I never tried. It would probably make me smell just as bad as if I was rubbing it into my hair LOL. :eyebrows:

Tatybird
December 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Oops, sorry about cognac :o :o . Sure, I meant brandy. As far as I understand, brandy warms up your skin, and because of that there is a good blood circulation when you apply it on your scalp.

I've never heard about eating onions. But it is definitely true that onions have a lot of vitamins. That is why it makes sense to me.

keepmyhair
December 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I've been using onion juice on my hair. What I've noticed:
-shedding decresed to minimum;
- shiny and strong hair;
- some baby hairs all around;
- and the most important- it made my hair grow faster:)

Warning! The smell is horrible and lasts ages;)

How do you apply the onion juice to your hair? Do you massage it on your scalp? How much onion juice do you use at a time?

bumblebums
December 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
The thought of putting onion on my head makes me cry, muahahaha! (sorry)

Seriously, though, my hair grabs onto any bad smell instantly. I would be one of those people walking around six months later smelling like onions. I am glad it works for people, but I am willing to wait for my hair to grow naturally and not knocking people over with onion stink...

CurlyTresses
December 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
They just say eating one raw onion per day makes your hair grow like crazy, I don't know I never tried. It would probably make me smell just as bad as if I was rubbing it into my hair LOL. :eyebrows:

MonikaHa, just saw this. Thank you for answering and I agree with you. Though I really do like raw onions and eat them most times with my salads daily, not sure if I could eat a whole onion (I just cut or dice some). I'd be afraid if I ate a whole onion daily, I'd end up smelling like onions, phewy lol. Hope the amount I do eat is enough to get some of the benefits :)

AleenaGenise
December 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Great results! I don't think I could live with it, nor do I think my boyfriend would appreciate me as the Onion girl, but I'm pretty tempted with your awesome results!

Perhaps you could try mixing the solution with some essential oil to tone down the smell? I don't know, though, onion is a pretty strong smell, and I don't know how well it might mix with a more flowery scent. :shrug:

Thanks for sharing your miracle product! :flower:

Thts what I was about to say. I was thinking about trying it an mixing it with an essential oil....maybe a very strong EO ......hmm peppermint, xlang xlang, rosemary or lavender can be pretty strong...

Sounds great though! Can't wait to try it....hope the EO masks the sent....my boyfriend has been pretty understanding with me hair experiments but this one.....idk haha

BlondeBimbo
December 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
How do you apply the onion juice to your hair? Do you massage it on your scalp? How much onion juice do you use at a time?

I use one onion per treatment and massage my scalp for 10 minutes.

I haven't done it for a couple of days and the smell is completely gone :)

BlondeBimbo
January 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Right, so I finally meassured my hair and during 5 weeks it grew 2 inches. I know, it seems impossible. I did the treatment every day and took some suplements as well. If it is still gonna grow so quickly, I dont mind the smell.

meumar
March 27th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks BlondeBimbo for this tip about the onion juice - I've used it last night and tonight, and will try it every day for a couple months to see if I notice any difference. I have very thin hair - lost 60-70% of it when I was 13/14, so we'll see if it makes any difference!

So far the smell is not bad - I'm using ACV as a rinse, and following up with an essential oil blend.

meumar
March 27th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Oh - I should say that I'm only using a half onion per treatment - that's giving me plenty of juice - and leaving the juice on for about half an hour. I then wash my hair, use a rinse of 50-50 ACV to water, rinse that out, and then follow up with a hair oil I made w/ essential oils.

PolarCathy
April 4th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Right, so I finally meassured my hair and during 5 weeks it grew 2 inches. I know, it seems impossible. I did the treatment every day and took some suplements as well. If it is still gonna grow so quickly, I dont mind the smell.

To me it seems very possible, that's about what I am getting right now. I chop the onion, put some salt on it (to get more juice), let it sit for 20-30 minutes, then squeeze the juice out of it with a potato smasher, pour the liquid into my empty tabasco bottle and apply on the scalp. Usually I can wash it out with my water-only routine, the smell is also gone, or if not, I rub some rosemary and/or thyme essential oil into my scalp (diluted!!!!!) and done. I am lucky because right now I work from home and my boyfriend is supportive so if I stink a bit (unless it's awful) it's okay (he said). :rollin:

Kaya
April 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Totally off topic here, but when I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought 'onion-banana juice' from Avatar: The Last Airbender. :rollin: That's what Aang and Guru Pathik drink when they are unlocking the 7 chakras...OK, geek moment over. :) Is banana good for your hair?

PolarCathy
April 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Banana, sure it is, both internally and topically.

I am sitting here with onion juice in my hair right now, funny thing is that I have an important meeting in less than three hours, wish me luck so that I don't smell this time either. :D will wash it off in about 30 minutes with water only.

terpentyna
April 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Guys, if you use turnip/radish leaf juice (or turnip juice if you're oily) the scent evaporates much more quickly! From what I have heard it's the sulfur that stinks and has wonderful effects.

Also, onions - you can boil the outer shell-like skin (like a lot of it, a serious infusion) and seep it for a while, it turns a deep warm brown and you can use it to warm blonde hair and also as a rinse, it has tons of wonderful minerals

1953Diygal
April 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Has anybody read or seen the book/movie Holes by Louis Sachar? Applying onion juice to the scalp for the purpose of hair growth is actually in the plot of the story!

I *only* use/eat onions that have been grown on God's Thumb! :cool: :D

PolarCathy
April 16th, 2011, 01:59 AM
New baby hairs!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7621&pictureid=100505

Miss Catrina
April 16th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I wonder if the same thing could be accomplished by purchasing some empty gelatin pill capsules and filling them with onion powder? Since apparently eating onion works, too. From what I've heard about garlic supplements, you might still develop a smell, but I'm sure it would be less so than putting the juice on your head.

PolarCathy
April 17th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I wonder if the same thing could be accomplished by purchasing some empty gelatin pill capsules and filling them with onion powder? Since apparently eating onion works, too. From what I've heard about garlic supplements, you might still develop a smell, but I'm sure it would be less so than putting the juice on your head.

Then why don't you just eat the onions and wash your teeth? I eat onions every day because I like them and apparently I do not smell like onions.

lastnite
April 17th, 2011, 02:19 AM
the powder wouldn't have the juice, but it maybe worth it for someone to try it and report back.

if you do eat enough raw onions, the smell will go through your pores. is it just the sulfur in the onions that helps with growth? just wondering whats the difference between the sulfur in onions and the sulfur in other foods, like eggs and MSM.

roseapple_nymph
November 19th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I combined your comments and suggestions to come up with a great recipe that I tested out on my hair.

Since I had no cheese grater I started getting the juice from half an onion with a peeler, and put the rest that wouldnt peel into a blender with a little bit of vegetable oil. Almost all of it blended very nicely and I got a lot of juice out. To get rid of the small pieces of onion that otherwise get stuck in your hair, I put the mixture through a tea strainer and mashed it with a shampoo bottle the way you would use a mortar and pestle. Once I got a lot of juice into a bowl, I added quite a few drops of peppermint and ylang ylang essential oils for a pleasent smell. I poured the mixture into a travel size shampoo bottle and had enough to fill it. The peppermint is strong and the ylang ylang oil gave the mixture a powerful flowery smell that almost completely covered up the onion scent.

The great thing about this treatment is that it can be combined very nicely with cooking a meal. Here is my recipe for a hair tonic followed by a delicious Spanish omlette :).

In this recipe I combined onion juice with three other beneficial things that I've read can stimulate hair growth: rinsing with potato water, essential oils, and messaging the head regularly to stimulate the scalp.

Hair Tonic:
2 cups potato water
1/2 large white onion
1 tbsp vegetable oil
5 drops peppermint oil
5 drops ylang ylang oil

Spanish Omlettere
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 large potatoes
3 eggs
1 large white onion
2 cloves garlic
6-8 cherry tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes
Paprika, tumeric, rosmary, salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until soft. Drain water into a medium pot with a handle. Allow to cool until warm but no longer boiling. In a blender, combine half an onion with one tbsp oil, blend until smooth. Remove any large remaining pieces of onion and put aside. Using a tea strainer and a small bowl underneath to catch the juice, strain mixture and squeeze out remaining chunks by mashing with a small shampoo bottle. Once all the juice is out and the remaining chunks are dry, put them aside with the omlette ingredients. Add 5 drops peppermint oil and 5 drops ylang ylang oil to the onion mixture, or more as desired. Pour mixture over a second bowl into a small bottle.
Rinse hair with water until wet. Pour potato water over hair, over the top of the scalp and over the back of the head. Pour a small amount of hair tonic from the bottle onto scalp in several places and massage into scalp. Leave in for 40 mins to an hour. Rinse hair with water. Wrap in towel to sleep as hair will still have an oily residue.
Chop garlic, onions, and tomato. In a large pan, place one tbsp vegetable and sprinkle tumeric to cover. Turn on stove and add garlic and onion. Sautee for several minutes until golden brown. Add potatoes and stir. Add paprika, rosemary, tomatoes and eggs. Stir until eggs cover mixture and let cook several minutes. Stir as necessary until eggs are well cooked and mixed through. Add salt or and or hot sauce to taste. Serves 3-4.

The mixture worked well and was nice-smelling, the potato water was also warm and smelled nice, and the omlette came out tasty. The only thing I don't like about it is that the mixture made my hair very oily, and the oil several days to get out. If I am putting this on my hair evey day for two weeks it will be constantly oily. I think next I will try mixing it with lemon juice. Any other ideas on something else to add to the mixture to improve the smell, without making it oily?

prunus.capulim
November 26th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I really would like to try this, but my boyfriend really really hates onions