PDA

View Full Version : My coconut oil smells nothing like coconuts

LocustSpawning
November 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Is this normal? The tub says '100% Pure coconut oil - 500ml' but not much else. It doesn't smell like coconut, it smells a bit strange.. it's brand new, and there's no exp date on this tub anywhere.

YesitsReal
November 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Mine has always had a very, very light sort of sourish smell--not like it's rancid, just a weird smell.

Only the unrefined coconut oil has a coconut smell. If yours is refined, it shouldn't smell like much of anything. If it has a strong smell, perhaps something with the canning process went wrong or something. :confused:

LocustSpawning
November 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hmm, it's not strong, you can only smell it if you actually sniff it like up close. Haha. I guess it's alright then :)

ravenlily
November 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Mine doesnīt smell anything like coonuts, but itīs wonderfull on my hair anyway!:D

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Mine has always had a very, very light sort of sourish smell--not like it's rancid, just a weird smell.

Only the unrefined coconut oil has a coconut smell. If yours is refined, it shouldn't smell like much of anything. If it has a strong smell, perhaps something with the canning process went wrong or something. :confused:

Not so according to this and other reports, http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/coconut5.php.

Refined coconut oil can have no odor.

According to this, http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/oele/kokosoel/kokosoel.htm#geruch[/url], "Coconut oil has a pleasant odor when fresh but a rancid odor when old."
coconut oil should have a pleasant smell when fresh. If it is an edible oil, it should have an expiry date.

This was a surprise, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1362300&postcount=648.

sunshine80
November 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I thought it was going to smell like coconuts! lol...I think it smell like a big tub of butter

CrisDee
November 30th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Mine does smell like coconuts - and tastes like it as well. I get mine from Whole Foods, it's their store brand, unrefined. I accidentally bought refined once, and it didn't taste or smell like coconuts. I loooove the unrefined, I eat so much of it I ended up having to buy two containers - one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. :)

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Mine does smell like coconuts - and tastes like it as well. I get mine from Whole Foods, it's their store brand, unrefined. I accidentally bought refined once, and it didn't taste or smell like coconuts. I loooove the unrefined, I eat so much of it I ended up having to buy two containers - one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. :)

And both are best kept in the fridge, when opened, to retain freshness.

"Once opened, it is an excellent idea to refrigerate cooking fats."
http://www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/ff10-fat.htm

christine1989
November 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Mine is not expired and I keep it in the fridge but it still has that strange, only slightly coconutty smell. I think it is supposed to smell that way.

HoneyJubilee
November 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Mine smells deliciously coconutty. It's unrefined coconut oil by Spectrum Naturals...from the natural/organic section of my grocery store. I wasn't expecting it to smell like much of anything (never used coconut oil for cooking or hair before), so I was pleasantly surprised.

marisa
November 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Ooh thanks for the tip ktani! I've been keeping mine in the pantry.
I have unrefined also, it smells so good. I sniff my fingers before I put it my hair.
Hmmm...that makes me sound like Mary Katherine Gallagher.
Superstar! :D

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Ooh thanks for the tip ktani! I've been keeping mine in the pantry.
I have unrefined also, it smells so good. I sniff my fingers before I put it my hair.
Hmmm...that makes me sound like Mary Katherine Gallagher.
Superstar! :D

You are most welcome!

The information can be confusing and many coconut oil brand websites do not help matters. However, I do recommend that coconut oil be kept refrigerated once opened, and monitored by taste rather than smell. If it is going off, it will taste bitter before it smells off.

fairystar32
December 1st, 2010, 12:29 AM
I thought coconut oil was one oil that didnt need to be refrigerated from all I have read about it?

remidosi
December 1st, 2010, 01:08 AM
*gets up and moves coconut oil jar from the bathroom to the refrigerator*

Glad you're around to tell us these things, ktani! :)

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
*gets up and moves coconut oil jar from the bathroom to the refrigerator*

Glad you're around to tell us these things, ktani! :)

You are most welcome and thank you!

It turns out it also has to do with coconit oil processing. Some types of processing allow coconut oil to retain more of the antioxidants that make it resistant to going rancid, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1362741&postcount=652.

The problem with that is if you cannot be sure the coconut oil you have is that kind, refrigerating is a good way to help keep your coconut oil fresh.

TinaDenali
December 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM
I have two tubs of coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs.
One tub is unrefined virgin oil and it smells very strongly of coconuts and tastes delicious. I use this for cooking and general eating.
One tub is refined coconut oil and it has no smell whatsoever and I have not tasted it. I use this for soap making and hair; general cosmetic use.

Both are of excellent quality, though. I love MRH. :)

CrisDee
December 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
I use my bathroom jar of coconut oil every day as a moisturizer for my skin. Now that it's winter here, it's already quite difficult to scrape it out of the container, I can't imagine how much harder it would be if it were refrigerated - not to mention, I'd never remember to bring it out of the fridge before my shower. And COOOOOOLLLLDDD! :shudder: I go through a container in less than two months, so I think I'll take my chances, especially in my 67 degree house it shouldn't go bad. :)

ktani
December 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
I use my bathroom jar of coconut oil every day as a moisturizer for my skin. Now that it's winter here, it's already quite difficult to scrape it out of the container, I can't imagine how much harder it would be if it were refrigerated - not to mention, I'd never remember to bring it out of the fridge before my shower. And COOOOOOLLLLDDD! :shudder: I go through a container in less than two months, so I think I'll take my chances, especially in my 67 degree house it shouldn't go bad. :)

Using it up fast, should prevent problems just fine!

GibsonGirlV
December 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
My coconut oil (refined) only started to have an odor once it was nearly two years old (I didn't refrigerate it). Thankfully there was only a little left, so I tossed it in favor of a new tub.

Lindaleriel
December 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Oh what a wonderful thing to know! I'd been resigned to avoiding coconut oil because I absolutely despise Coconut and couldn't bear the thought of smelling it all day. I may go get some after all! I just need to look for refined.

aenflex
December 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Mine smells and even tastes like coconut. It says 'organic and unrefined', but is marketed as coconut 'cream'....

LadyJennifer
December 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have virgin coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs and it smells very strongly (in a delightful way) like coconut. If it's virgin coconut oil it should smell like coconuts.