PDA

View Full Version : What made you decide to grow your hair long?

Pages : [1] 2

bluesnowflake
November 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
So I was curious what reasons people had for growing their hair long- feel free to check more than one and please post in more details, especially if I've forgotten your reason!:)

Locksmith
November 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
I reckon the poll could use an option for simply "I think long hair is beautiful". :)

bluesnowflake
November 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
I reckon the poll could use an option for simply "I think long hair is beautiful". :)

I had one like that, but the poll deleted it!! I wonder if I can go back and add one.

MoonlightShadow
November 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
well....it just always seemed beautiful to me. it just looked pretty on alot of women. probably when i saw my hair was breaking off alot and my sister's hair was getting longer than mine, i decided to grow it out...aheh heh :o

redneckprincess
November 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Bad hair cut, and tired of short hair!!

I always wondered why someone would have to have long hair for religious reasons??

AnnaJamila
November 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
The religious reasons one is mostly just because it's a feminine thing and it's what your body wants to do naturally, so some veiw short hair as an abheration of nature. I grew it because I think it's freakin BEAUTIFUL!!!! :)

Aria
November 22nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Rebelling was the closest reason I could check, although it was more like "Finally could after wanting to my whole life."

JulietCapulet
November 22nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
I am growing it long because I can hide behind it like I did through high school and college. It goes with my hyper feminine personality. :-D And it makes me look prettier since my face is sort of mis-happen.

lundmir
November 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
I wanted to try something else with my hair, I had never had it this long before. I like it and want it even longer.

christine1989
November 23rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
I have had short hair for so long that I am just tired of it and want it long for a while.

vloucak
November 23rd, 2010, 02:27 AM
I just like the feeling of long hair.

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM
Makes since, thanks. What religions require women to have long hair?

The religious reasons one is mostly just because it's a feminine thing and it's what your body wants to do naturally, so some veiw short hair as an abheration of nature. I grew it because I think it's freakin BEAUTIFUL!!!! :)

MinderMutsig
November 23rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
Because I just wanted to.

The same reason I grew it out and the same reason I cut it several times during my lifetime and I loved every bit of it.

Avvoltoio
November 23rd, 2010, 06:26 AM
I always wanted, and always love long hair, so i decided to start grow it when i felt nobody can stand against to the growing of my hair, cause as boy my parents, and the pressure from others and i never know any longhaired man face to face before i started to grow my hair

Avital88
November 23rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
I had a BAD cut when i was 16! I went from almost hip to a assymetric bob! OMG
then i decided to dye it like every month and get a perm..So it took a long time to get heathy hair again.
In may 2008 my hair was shoulder length and now im past wait so im really glad with my progress so far, but now i want to grow longer then ive ever been.so that means at least hip.
And another reason: long healthy hair is just really beautiful!

Octave
November 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
The main reason for me to get longer hair is that I find it beautiful and never really had hair that was really long before.

svehex
November 23rd, 2010, 06:49 AM
I had long hair until my mom forced me to cut it and I also got tired of having to cut it so often to make it look good.

marzipanthecat
November 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Makes since, thanks. What religions require women to have long hair?

The Plymouth Bretheren are keen on women not cutting their hair. They are also pretty strict on "no make up" too. We have quite a lot of Plymouth Bretheren around here (not surprising, we are only 20 miles from Plymouth...).

I honestly don't know if it is an actual requirement or just a look that has become the norm and is expected, though.

marzipanthecat
November 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM
I also meant to say:

My reason for growing my hair long was simply "I Want To See How Long I Can Get It". I thought I'd be happy if I got it as long as it is (and I am!) but now I'm set on getting it to ankle length...

nemileo
November 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Redneckprincess; I guess most religions could requier women growing their hair long, it is just a question of how you decide to practice the religion. I know that some christian women that goes with a surtain branch of christianity (ex.Amish?) are not "allowed" to cut their hair. And I guess it is the same with Islam and even Jew. (Muslim men are for instance required to not cut their beard) And then we have Sikh, and hinduism where there are similar ways of practicing the religion, even for men. Some men and women are not to shed any hair, o loose any organs from the body, and have to wear their hair in dread locks to collect any shed hairs.

Oh well, I am not religious, so I just decided to grow my hair long since I have not been able to do it in years since it has been too damaged. I have always ended up cutting it before it has reached BSL since it has looked like a witch`s broom by then:D

But now...there is a new hairstory!

Vermelha
November 23rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
Tired of not having long hair and wanting to realize what long hair really is, not what these girls in the neighborhood say it is.

Also, wanting to prove to my family that long hair is possible and that hair is only short if you cut it or let it break off... not some genetic trait.

angels11
November 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
This past July got the 'haircut from HELL'!!! It will take me a long time to even bring myself to a hairstylist again!!! So here comes the LONG!!!

BrightEyes7
November 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
I grew by accident. I got a horrible cut and it was around shoulder to APL. So I just wore it up because I didn't want to get it cut and have it messed up worse and then it'd be too short to put up.

*sigh*

So after wearing it up every day for a long time I wore it down one day because I saw the horribleness of the cut grew out. I got a lot of comments about how long my hair had gotten. I was between BSL and waist at the time... so I kept growing. And here I am... Hair obsessed heading for TBL or possibly classic who knows!!

ETA: The horrible cut happened Christmas of 2007 so it has been almost exactly 3 years. That is the last time I went to a stylist... actually the last time anyone but myself has handled my hair!

CastaDiva
November 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
I wanted to grow my hair long beceause I wasn`t allowed by my parents, especially my mother, to have long hair when I was a child. My mother thouht it was easier with short hair. I was taken to a barber`s shop and the old man there gave me an awful haircut which I just HATED. I was mistaken for a boy several times in public, the other kids were laughing and I was totally embarrassed. Now that I can decide for myself, I want to have very long hair. I guess there is an element of rebellion there as well.

StormiDoodle
November 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I wanted (and still want to) learn what my terminal length is before I die. So I guess curiosity is the prime reason for growing it.

aenflex
November 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Suri Cruise's hair. That's it, that's all. Why, I could not explain.

Ntaark
November 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Tired of short hair and straightening it all the time. Longer hair makes me feel beautiful, and i haven't felt beautiful in years! yay for long hair!

LadyG
November 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
I had a couple of horrible haircuts. I just look bad in short hair. Long skinny neck, small head. Fine hair. So, I made the decision to grow my hair out. I have just gotten past the horrible stringy shoulder length stage and am at APL. I am getting happier and happier with the length. Also, having a place to chat and learn proper care is also making this a great experience.

Akiko
November 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Laziness. :D I just cannot bring myself to go to a salon every 5 weeks.
Also I love making various updos.

Felix_D
November 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I always wanted long hair, but it's fine and very fragile. So I wore it short.

Then I had a pixie and hated it. What a stupid idea!! So I came here to try to learn how to grow it out faster. And realized that maybe, just maybe, I could actually grow it long if I stopped bleaching/shampooing/straight-ironing/blow drying. Here's hoping!

Loreley
November 24th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I voted bad cut. When I was 4, I fell asleep with a chewing gum in my mouth and by morning it was in my hair. We had to cut it very short. I remember I was wailing while my mum was pulling me by my arm to the hairdresser.

Birch
November 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I woted tired of short hair which is just some part of the truth.
So my reasons:
- my mother is true hippy and she was always conviencing me in long hair, also she never liked my short or middle length haircuts...
- i found that for my short or middle lenghth I need more time, effort and styling products to like the final result
- I think that long hair is just ultimate symbol of sexiness and femininity!
- it suits my personality better
- I can be more creative in wearing different styles and that's more interesting for the full package
- 90% I hate going to hairdressers - I mostly don't like what they made with my hair, my scalp, what products they use, how can even damage my hair and they are soooo expensive!! If I wear long hair I can avoid hairdressers - last time I went was more than one year ago:bounce:!

DARKMARTIAN
November 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Because I was born a longhair. Its in my heart. I cant help my hair growth preference.

Longhairs have rights too......;)

Watergallop
November 28th, 2010, 04:14 AM
It took a lot of work to make it look good when it was shoulder-length and shorter. Nowadays my hair doesn't look as good as it did when it was short... which, to most people, would seem like a really obvious reason to cut it back to that length again.

But when it's BSL I just comb it, and the poofiness is down my back, away from my face, so it doesn't really bother me. And even at its worst, it has its length, thickness and health going for it, which is not something I could say back when it was shoulder-length and regularly tortured with a blow-dryer and a flat-iron so that I wouldn't have a cloud of poof around my face.

freckles
November 28th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Partly because I was jealous of the girls at my school with really long hair when I was younger, partly because I just think it's really pretty, and partly because I have never 'maintained' a hair cut properly so it always ends up pretty long anyway, this time I just decided to keep going :)

LisaMonster
November 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I was actually inspired by a long hair friend.

She's a mom and always wears it up in a messy bun.

One day she posted this picture on facebook with the caption, "Well I neglected my hair for the past four years...huh."
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs418.snc3/25184_1391587036551_1438398179_31027110_4847585_n. jpg

Themyst
November 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I had long hair when I was little - but had one of those mothers who wouldn't take the time to care for it until I was responsible enough, so she cut it. :(

I'm also kind of a rebel in that I have never thought I really fit in with the rest of the world. So I think my hair reflects that. :hmm:

GypsyGoddess
November 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I used to have really, really long hair and I cut it when I was going through some major life changes. It was a symbolic shedding of my old self.

I have since converted to paganism/Druidism and while long hair certainly isn't a requirement it makes me feel more connected to nature if I let it grow as it naturally wants to. Plus, it's super pretty, and my husband is trying to grow in dreads, and I can't let his hair get much longer than mine!

Quahatundightu
November 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I just always remember wanting long beautiful hair. I can't remember a time when I didn't want longer hair!! XD As a child my hair barely grew (thanks to being a preemie I guess) I still had hair only a few inches long at 5 years old. I didn't mind being mistaken for a boy, but I still wanted long hair :)

Hiriel
November 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I don't think I decided to. Long hair has always been the default for me. I just haven't decided to cut it. So therefore it grows :p

growing2shine
November 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Well growing my hair long is something I've been wanting to do for many years. I voted both tired of short hair and life experience, because when I was a child I always had this borring longish bob. But it's also because of my illness (a time may come where I wont be able to have long hair, because of my neck). I know now that live is just too short to not do what you want to. :)

mira-chan
November 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM
None of the choices above. Have had long hair (waist to tailbone) since I was little, just wanted to see how long it would grow and liked the longer length.

PartyPickle
November 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
As a child my hair barely grew (thanks to being a preemie I guess) I still had hair only a few inches long at 5 years old. I didn't mind being mistaken for a boy, but I still wanted long hair :)

With you there (though I wasn't a preemie). I was more bald than otherwise 'til I was 6 or 7. I wore dresses pretty much all the time so there wasn't much danger of being mistaken for a boy. It just made me feel really left out that all the other girls (not to mention the boys :ponder: ) had a ton of hair and I didn't.

I caught up though. :D I've had my flings (and enjoyed them) with short hair and now it feels like coming home to myself growing it out again.

bte
November 29th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Not really any of the options - from the age of about 7, I always wanted to have long hair and have had it as long as I could ever since.

just_ace
November 29th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I just got tired of having short hair and wanted to try something new, I use to be in a constant cycle of short hair which I would chop as soon as it hit my shoulders because it would do that annoying flippy outty thing instead of laying flat (plus the damage I was creating for home dye jobs didn't help the need to trim). Then finally I got past that and am now nearing BSL :)

Yozhik
November 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I picked three options:
-Had long hair when I was little, wanted it back
-Rebelling (against society or family)
-Tired of short hair

The true stem of the matter was finding LHC, though. :) I have been wanting to go to a simpler beauty and food regimen, and was researching cones, then stumbled onto LHC and fell in love with the community. :heart:

I was getting tired of short hair, though, and I do like being different than most of my contemporaries, especially in the business world. Additionally, I had long hair when I was a young teen and got a lot of compliments on it, even though it was damaged, so I wanted to replicate that experience without the damage. :)

jojo
November 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The reason for me is probably my rebel against what is considered normal, I have long hair because simply I can, its what makes me, me!

principesse
November 29th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I had long (past waist-length) hair as a child and loved it but have never been able to grow it that long till now. Because I (used to) highlight my hair frequently, I my hair was becoming dry and week and so I had to get frequent haircuts, which has kept me at exactly the same length for a few years now. I got sick of being in that limbo and just decided I wanted to put my foot down and focus on getting my hair to the length I want :)

Coan-Teen
November 29th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I chose had long hair as a child and wanted it back, and tired of short hair. I like having short hair but I'm tired of always getting it cut and I want to grow my hair out again like when I was younger. I love long hair but as soon as mine would hit my shoulders and start going crazy directions I would cut it again, so now, with support :flowers:, I hope to move past that stage.

LotusFIre
November 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I still can't believe I'm going to grow my hair long, because I haven't had long hair since I was 9(it was down to my butt, sorry I don't have a pic tho). I am really excited about it though, and the main reason is because I have had short hair all throughout my teens and adult life, and I want to just see how long and healthy it can be, and prove all those people that say fine textured hair looks bad long are WRONG! maybe a little rebel rebel in me LOLOLOL....:cool:

sserena
November 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I decided to grow my hair long to make a donation to locks of love. I never expected to like it. I adore it. I was always told the my hair was too heavy to grow long. "They" were wrong. I still need to make the donation. I have decided to do it when my hair is still at least BSL after the 10 inch cut. I am close to tailbone now.

LotusFIre
November 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I decided to grow my hair long to make a donation to locks of love. I never expected to like it. I adore it. I was always told the my hair was too heavy to grow long. "They" were wrong. I still need to make the donation. I have decided to do it when my hair is still at least BSL after the 10 inch cut. I am close to tailbone now.
That's so cool, locks of love is a really great charity. If, someday, I decide to cut my long hair off, that would make it worth it.

lajsa
November 30th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I've wanted long hair since I was little. I had a Barbie doll with waist-length or longer hair and it was very pretty, and princesses had long hair! Then my dear beloved mother informed me of the fact that I had to brush it and take care of it in that case. I used to go to school with a bit fat tangle in the back of my head some days since I was too lazy to brush it. :p But these days I'm a bit more dedicated... I hope. :D

ooo
November 30th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I see, I'm in the majority :)
I never had long hair, but always wanted it. Still, I never stopped cutting...

pastel_cloud
November 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I miss my long hair. I've been having dreams that it's long again and it just feels like the right time to start growing it again. I haven't worn it long (to my waist) since I was 16 when I cut it all off to scare my parents and attempt to become a new person. I was so rebellious back then. I'm turning 20 very soon and I feel I need something old that I know I love back in my life. I don't know why I ever let it go.

thatjengirl1
December 1st, 2010, 05:10 PM
Being envious of the girls in high school that had long hair.
Also missing when i had long hair before.

MafiaPrincess
December 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
None of the above. It's always been long. I don't know any different. I like it and am not dying for a change. I cut it off regularly at waist length, but it has been long enough to sit on at times.

AleenaGenise
December 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
My hair was SUPER long and thick growing up (while my mom was doing my hair) then I started doing my own hair and I jacked it up....THEN my mom put a perm on it and that really messed it up : ( My hair never got super short but it id lose a lot of length...Now I'm going natural and I want the original thickness and beauty of my hair back! Thts my story lol

LissaJane
December 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Had long hair once when I was younger. Stupidly chopped it all off and have been too impatient to just let it grow out. I'm doing it this time. Also, I just think it looks nice and you can do so much more with it than you can with short hair.

auburn
December 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
For me- rebellion. Kinda.

Well, I'd be diffrent with very long hair.

Ourdays, long hair= till bra line.

But REALLY long hair actually means at least hip lenght. It's quite unusual to see that though. They all say it's oldfashioned and all that, but they're all eager to see it loose and stare at it in wonder. :) it attracts admiration from men and... most of the times envy from women. That's cute, isn't it?

:P

Some time ago, mademoiselle Coco Chanel said to women: "You must all cut your hair to be chic and ellegant."

Long hair started to be seen as a sign of women's submission to men, and a "symbol" of a quiet housekeeper, while short hair became a symbol of... feminists and things related.

Wrong ideea, I still think very long hair is beautiful and... allways in. It;'s evergreen. :)

Eolan
December 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
For me it was the only thing I hadn't tried. I also had a role model in a girl who I didn't particularly like (she had a horrible personality, but I still "had" to spend some time with her, since she was the sister of my BF at the time), but I came to adore her hip/tb lenght, uncolored hair and decided to grow some of my own. I was also very curious about how my natural hair color would look, since I hadn't really seen it since I was a teen. None of these reasons are in the poll, but maybee we can file it under "Tired of short hair". :D

miss_purple
December 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I saw an old picture of me (when I was a kid) with my hair on ASL - BSL and I thought "wow, I am beautiful with long hair". Then I discovered TLHC and I fall in love with long healthy hair.

spoonshine
December 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I've had long hair (maybe tailbone at its longest though I never paid much attention to the over all length before now) at various points in my past and while I've had fun with having short hair I miss the cosy comfort of my long hair. So I voted had it when I was little.

erika_d
December 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM
My husband hated my short hair. Even though I had short hair when we first got together, he still likes long hair best. So after having it short for a couple of years I decided to grow it. mostly for him, but I like my hair long too. now I'm determined to get to 30" if not more. :)

ravenlily
December 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I had short pixie-hair for the last nine years, Im so tired of it! And I think long, healthy hair is sexy!;)

Mina17
December 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Several reasons for me:

1. I've had several bad haircuts in the last couple of years that have made me scissor-shy.

2. I was inspired by a woman who just started working with me who has beautiful healthy BSL hair.

3. The other reason is almost a mid-life crisis/bucket list kind of thing. I've never had really long hair and it's something I'd like to experience while I still can.

Alun
December 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
None of the above (where's the cheese :cheese: option?).

Because long hair was in fashion when I first started growing it.

Because I associate my world view with the hippies to a large extent.

Because I was a biker (although nowadays there seems to be no connection anymore).

Because all my music idols had long hair.

Where are all these reasons in the list of choices?

Bill D.
December 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, there should have been an "other" or "none of the above" choice.

I first grew my hair out as a teenager when my father finally sided with me against my mother's position that I should not have long hair. I had passionately wanted long hair since I was nine, out of sheer love for and desire for long hair. This was not an easy feeling to accept in myself as a male child back in the 60s, when the only males with long hair were those horrible, dirty hippies ;) . Finally, at age 15 I was allowed to grow my hair out after three years of battling my mother over this issue. At age 19 my hair reached what appeared to be terminal length (probably not really, due to poor hair care and breakage), but at the same time my hairline started to recede.

I cut my hair short at age 23 when I graduated from college so I could get a decent job. This was in the early 80s when male long hair was still not respectable. Later I tried to grow it out but it always looked bad due to my developing baldness so I always chickened out and cut it short again.

Finally I had the guts to grow it out long at age 40. After a few years it reached a pathetic terminal length where it now remains. I'm taking Propecia to forestall any further balding, and waiting for a cure so I can have the thick and very long hair I've always dreamed of.

Bill D.

DARKMARTIAN
December 9th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Because I was a biker (although nowadays there seems to be no connection anymore).

Your right,...there isnt.

.....ive been to my fair share of rallies... at least here in Oklahoma......and now people are even riding crotch rockets to em...

Business man by day......"biker" by night.....hmmmmmm

But hey...I guess its about the joy of riding, regardless of whatcha got between your legs....:D

bring on the "weenie bite"...(its a bike game)

Lune d'Loup
December 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I decided to grow my hair extra long because i love how it looks when it is classic length or longer.

Anywhere
December 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I put bad cut and tired of short hair. My whole life my hair was around SL until 6th grade. It was so.. well.. my hair gets insanely voluminous when it's short, as in it was like short 80's style hair. It was not my favorite kind of look. I told my mom I'm growing my hair out, and she hasn't cut my hair since.

naturegirl321
December 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM
My mom couldn't grow her hair long, either due to genetics or severe malnutrion as a child. Shoulder length was long on her, so she decided I should have long hair. I chopped it in 7th grade, grew it out, then chopped it after college, and then just last year when I finally left Peru. Now I'm growing it again and am impatient for it to get long.

nena_shawty
December 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
because i had beautiful long hair when i was little and i want it back.... and i just think long hair in a woman is beautiful its what makes a woman a woman lol

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I had a friend with long hair and was jealous!

luxepiggy
December 26th, 2010, 06:29 AM
There's no "it's always been long because I've always preferred long hair" option - that's the one I need! (^(oo)^)v

eicamawa
December 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM
hmm... none of those alternatives, in a way. I've always wanted long hair, and for the most of my life I had hair between BSL and waist. When I came to 8th grade, I wanted to change, and then I had to choose between cutting lot og it off, which I wanted, and put layers in it, or grow it much longer. But sine it was populair, and a lot easier and faster, I cut it to about APL, and contained the length there for about 3 years before I found out that now It was time to grow it longer again, since that had always been a dream of mine, and I'm still working on it :)

castano
December 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I voted tired of short hair. Just to have some change for once

myria
December 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
There isn't an option for me either: when I picture myself I always see myself with long hair, even when i cut it to apl a few years ago.
I just don't feel like myself without it.

SR
December 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I got tired of having short hair, had a really bad short hair cut and had long hair when I was little and wanted it to be long again. I think that about covers it. Though I think I also need an option for I'm not spending money on a hair cut. :D

Henrietta
December 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
There isn't an option for me either: when I picture myself I always see myself with long hair, even when i cut it to apl a few years ago.
I just don't feel like myself without it.

I second this.

Braidy
December 28th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I voted life experience cause that one came closest but can you call 1) "a boyfriend who loves long hair" and 2) "watching the movie Sissi and wanting to be able to do the big braided hair do's too" call a life experience?? Sounds a bit heavy for the content no? And oh yea, when I was little I did have long hair but it wasn't really about wanting that back. It was more like a new thing.

Rin4Christ
December 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I voted "tired of short hair" which is not entirly true, but the closest i could find. For the last 6 or 8 years I have alternated between short (chin length) and long enough to donate 10 inches. I think I have donated various lengths 3 times? the last time as my hair was getting long enough to donate I had a couple of reasons for keeping it long a bit longer (sisters wedding, upcoming winter) and then decided I would have some fun with hair styles before I cut it again.

Now I am between BSL and WL. I don;t know how long I will keep it before I donate again, but I'll prob go back to chin length and grow it out again.

Arielle8960
December 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I decided to grow my hair long because I study history and the classics and I love the way long hair looks in book illustrations and art, and how women with long hair are described.

On a more practical level, short hair doesn't look great on me, my SO loves to comb and henna my (now-BSL) hair, and part of me is quietly rebelling against the bowl cuts and uneven bobs of my past. I just can't shake that feeling that I'm supposed to have long hair.

ChayahSaahene
December 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
A disastrous bleach job in a salon left me with platinum hair and made my hair break and start to fall out. I shaved my head and vowed never to put another chemical on my hair. I had no idea my hair could be so healthy. I'm enjoying it so much, I want to let it grow, grow, grow.

Nymph
December 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Rebelling was the closest reason I could check, although it was more like "Finally could after wanting to my whole life."

Definitely! I was always enforced short (shoulderblade length) hair under the guise of "but you have split ends" when I was younger.
Granted, I didn't look bad in it, but I still prefer it long, like it's now.

grrlshapedthing
December 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I mostly was tired of short hair and the constant cutting and such, but also it was because I do a lot of Victorian Recreational events and was tired of being stuck to the styles of hair pieces I had, so I thought if it's long I can do more hairstyles with it... I'm currently only at JUST above APL but hopefully this next years growth will add to it and soon be too my goal of classic length

Nago
December 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I used to have it short when I was a kid. When I could decide I let it grow, but I have always got bored and cut it before reaching a considerable lenght. And this time I am convinced to have it at least until the waist!!! Let's see if I can.

CrisDee
December 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
For me, the question is more like "what made you decide to cut your hair short?" The answer is "a moment of temporary, I-hate-myself-my-life-and-everyone-around-me" insanity. I'm growing my hair long again to feel like myself again :)

Carrie Ingalls
December 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I vote other:

I grew my hair because I never thought much of it...and then it was long and people started to notice it...even to this day often I don't feel that it is all that out of the ordinary, I've just always had my hair "long." Kuddos to my mom for putting up with and helping me take care of my hair and not forcing me to get it cut. haha, my mom often says that she likes long hair (even though hers would never grow past bsl) and that she did know it was possible for hair to get as long as mine (and my sister's).

Now I like it long because it is different than most people and I think it can be kinda pretty (I'm still learning new dos and trying new toys).

ravenreed
December 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
It just kind of happened? Something new? I have no idea.

MilknHoney
December 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Beauty - it's my best feature, I want more!

Age - I've grown into myself, at age 35... I love wearing it up, and the more I have, the more I can do with it. It's unique and I'm good with that.

Challenge - It's not easy to grow healthy, long hair, especially if I want to keep touching up the roots (as I do). I like to figure out new things, what I have to give up and what I want to keep... I'm really liking the CO, oiling, etc. Pampering.

Rebellion - I never was allowed to have it when I was little, and my daughter has grown hers so beautifully... me too! :)

MilknHoney
December 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Oh, one more... my belly dancing teacher last year had amazing, 1a, hip-length hair. Just a curtain of it. She'd tie these scarves in it to dance, and it was so comfortable, beautiful, and natural looking compared to the rest of our hair. No comparison.

squintinschool
December 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I chose "tired of short hair" because even with my starting length, at this thickness, I can't do all the braids I wish I could do. My hair hasn't been shorter than shoulder in years.

xovictoryxo
December 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
this is the longest my hair has ever been at waist, I have ALWAYS had short hair and wanted long tailbone length hair.

HannahDelicious
December 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think my hair just prefers being long. I had so much trouble making my hair behave when it was short. Now it's as if my hair never acted out in the first place. :D

Dead Sunshine
December 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I decided to do it for a variety of reasons, but I think I mostly did it because I think long hair is pretty xD

Elenna
December 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I had long hair when I was little, and only cut & styled for jobs. What was I thinking! Glad to be growing long again.

constancev18
December 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
It was almost WL ten years ago but I had a setback. Then I apparently developed amnesia bc I could not grow it past SL for the next 8 yrs. I've been growing and retaining for 2 yrs now. I think I needed to prove to myself that I could. :)

QMacrocarpa
December 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM
When my hair was about shoulder length I asked my husband if I should cut it shorter (chin) or grow it longer, and he voted for growing it. Around then I got an octopus clip big enough to work as a bun cage, and started putting it up that way all the time (so easy!). With all the up-do's, I began suspecting that what I had thought was my terminal length might not be... Now I'm interested to see how far benign neglect will take me (love the facebook photo of what 4 years of "neglect" can do!) :cool: Long hair also feels a bit rebellious to me, since my mother really only acknowledges my hair when it's shorter (though in a rare moment of hair-related bonding I did lend her a barrette over the holidays, and even went with her to the drugstore to help her find a couple like the one she borrowed. :D As someone else mentioned I'm also too cheap to pay for haircuts, but that alone wouldn't keep me from having shorter hair, as I've chopped it myself with no drama (curls are handy that way).

cataphract
December 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I just got tired of my ill behaved shoulder + length hair and wanted something longer. It seems to be more manageable when it's longer. It's fickle by nature, but getting better :)

silversnow
December 30th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I was never allowed to have longer than shoulder length hair when I was growing up, so now that I have the choice, I've been letting it grow.

terrylillyd
December 30th, 2010, 01:20 AM
In 2006 I had highlights done and the stylist overdid my hair and my hair started breaking off above my shoulders, I have been obsessed since then to not damage my hair. I just let it grow and eventually the bad hair was slowly cut away. One day I realized I had really long hair and I wanted to see how far I can go with this.

Vapunzel91
December 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
First it was anime where I thought it was only legend for the possibility that people to grow their hair longer than waist length. Then I saw Xie Qiuping's hair (18+ FEET IN 2004!!!) and I realized people could. Then I met a friend who introduced me to here... and I can't stop the want to grow it out.

Ostelot
December 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM
The option " tired of short hair" describes my choice the best. My hair is a little bit pliable when short. So every morning with the bob were fights with the single strands pointing the wrong direction(s). With the long hair you don't need to wake up early and style your hair with chemical products. My hair type allows me just putting some sophisticated/simple pony/updo in a very short time. More time to sleep in the mornings. :)

MilknHoney
December 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I can relate to that... my hair has a little wave to it, more in some spots than others, and I don't like fighting with it. When I had a bob, one side would flip out and one would curl under or just hang straight and stubborn. Then I'd get a trim, and maybe it would be reversed for a while. I think I only had one short period where both sides did the same thing at the same time!

sugarpixie10988
December 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm growing mine mainly because I got a really bad haircut in September of last year.. chin length and really thick straight across bangs. Not a good look for me! Also, every time I chop short it drives me nuts because I can't put it up. I enjoy the shortness for a little bit, but I always miss having it longer after awhile.

My boyfriend also loves long hair, and loves it on me. He was secretly very sad when I chopped mine off before :p. I also love the feeling of long hair on my back, and I think there's something very magical looking about long hair.

dereksurfs
December 30th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have worked for the military for quite some time and always looked the part with short mens haircuts. However when I was young I was more foot loose and fancy free. I had a longer hairstyle and enjoyed it. So before I get too old and no longer have much hair I want to see how it will look grown out a bit more. Though I'm not a kid anymore. So it may not work for me like it did then. Only time will tell. :D

Derek

laughinglynxie
December 31st, 2010, 12:08 AM
I chose that I was tired of short hair...and that's mostly true. I also wanted to grow it out because I miss being able to do different braids, ponytails, and long curls with it. My hubby also likes long hair...and, for once, I figured I could do what he wanted (especially since it's conveniently what I want right now, too)!

thatjengirl1
January 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
The main reason is that I simply love long hair and love the look and feel of it.
but I chose "had long hair as a kid"
I had waist length, thick, beautiful hair.

daemonwildcat
January 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
I started cutting my own hair when I was 12 because I kept getting bad haircuts from hairdressers who would NOT listen to me. Eventually laziness took over and I started letting it grow, but sooner or later I would get scissor happy and chop it up to my ears or so. My hair went through several years of long-short-long-short before I vowed in college not to cut my hair until I got married.

I kept that vow and a few months after I got married, I shaved my head from nearly waist length. I haven't cut my hair since, just a tiny trim a year ago. My hair had never in my life been as long as it was when I shaved it off (lots of dye damage anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss) and I got curious to see my terminal length, so I started taking better care of it and I've recently hit hip!

So I guess my reasons have changed over the years, but my current reason is finding my terminal length.

marsali
January 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
my sis xD shes a great tyrant :D:D:D (well yeah, my mum is there too, but sis is the one with the biggest power xD)

Sammich
January 2nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
I put, rebelling, (I like being different) tired of short hair, and me having been young and had long hair. :)

Oh and not an option: Anime.

Dark Queen
January 18th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I voted life experience. Although I've always liked the look of long hair, I'll never forget the first time I met a woman with floor length (I was around 4 years old). She worked at our local bank and every time we went, I would just marvel over how beautiful her hair was, and it got me started on growing my own. As I got older, I grew it to waist length and maintained it through high school, but got lazy in college and to my delight, it grew more than I expected (I had thought it terminal). Now I just want to see how far I can go. If I can get to the floor, I will. :)

rapunzhell13
January 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I put down "Bad cut" and "Tired of short hair". It is pretty much a combination of these. It seemed like most hairdressers couldn't do the pixie cut justice. Also, I just got tired of trying to make short hair happen for me. Long hair just looks a damn sight better on me.

Alexannee10
January 18th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'm tired of short hair .. just because I had short hair all my life !

WynneWear
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I was looking back through pictures of where my hair was at its longest and I loved it back then. I have six inches to grow. About. Give or take a few mm.

shyone
January 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Religious reasons for me.

witess.writer
January 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I voted for 'Tired of Short Hair' -- it's been short for most of my life, which was great when I used to dye my hair because going back to my natural hair was much easier. However, I've stopped dying my hair and have stopped using synthetic chemicals on my hair. Plus, I've seen some really beautifully curly hair and I wanted it. So I am trying to grow it out. Need all the patience and luck I can get!

impaciente1981
January 21st, 2011, 06:55 AM
pure pretense :D

frost pattern
January 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
'Tired of Short Hair' - I had short hair since I was a teenager and I wasn't happy with it, so I styled it daily. The more I styled, the ghastlier it was. So I stopped styling and bought a claw to keep it in shape instead. The claw worked better with longer hair - that's it.

SwordWomanRiona
January 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
I have always loved long hair, that's why I've had it long since I was in Primary School. And I love Celtic Sword-Women too, with their waist to knee-length hair :)

I chose "rebelling", because that's what I'm doing, really, rebelling against society. Tailbone-classic length hair is not the trend today, and I get a few stares sometimes, but I like asserting myself over society's "rules". If classic length hair is not the current trend, I don't care a bit!

Tookii
January 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Tired, tired, tired of short hair. I need long hair NOW!

Doxie
January 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I am growing it long because I always had long hair as a child and up until high school. I really want to get back to simple, healthy hair. I love short hair but long just looks so much better on me and it's easier for me to take care of.

PeaceLoveHair
January 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
I've always had long hair (between BSL and waist but never waist) but because I always blowdried, I could never get it to waist without the ends looking scraggly, so I would always just cut it . I've always been told I have nice healthy hair, and since the only thing holding me back from having waist length hair was heat, I decided to stop using heat on my hair and go for waist. I'm soo excited to see my hair at waist and HEALTHY at the same time. I'm almost there...one inch to go!

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Well I always want long hair when I've got short hair... but often get annoyed with it when it's getting long (or it's damaged from some sort of something I've done to it... usually dye...but sometimes perming or straightening!!) and then I cut it...and grow it AGAIN!

I now want LONG hair...my goal was waist when I came to this forum...but now I'm leaning towards tailbone lol. I also thought I preferred a blunt hemline dead straight... but now I'm sorta liking it when it goes more to a point (not a sharp point though...)... hmm!!! I think I like it blunt to waist, but past that I don't like it as blunt... Interesting how my tastes have changed in just a few days of being here!

SummerSkye
January 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I had long hair all during my childhood and into my teens. Have had long then short then long hair during my adult life. Had a hairdressing disaster a few years ago now when i went in with waist length hair and came out with an uneven bob! Started growing my hair again then had an injury which caused a lot of my hair to fall out and has set a stress = hair loss pattern which I'm only just starting to recover from! I sooooooooo want my long hair back!

scorpio_rising
January 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I've grown it super long in the past due to sheer laziness and the fact that my long hair was effortlessly beautiful.
Now... Well... The truth is I'm 40 now and all the sudden I don't pass for 22 any more - I look... 40. I figure I am already thin and fit, there's not really much room for improvement there; my face looks old to me, I have a few forehead wrinkles and those awful creases alongside my mouth, and I'm doing what I can about that, but barring having plastic surgery, there's not all that much I can do. My hair, though? That is something I feel like I can control. I can have beautiful hair. If nothing else, I can have beautiful hair.

Aliped
January 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
As it got longer, I liked it more and more. Then I discovered hair sticks and updoes and braided buns and there was no going back!

Kat Girl
January 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM
When I was younger I grew my hair long because it was against my religion for a female to cut her hair in any way, and it was like if you cut your hair you were bad, but having long uncut hair was a sign of righteousness. I have since left the religion and don't have those beliefs anymore, but there are still a lot of people in the religion that I personally love and admire, and I not only see long hair as beautiful, but I have good memories/feelings associated with it. Also I have since cut my hair many times and although I don't associate hair length with righteousness or lack thereof, I still desire to have my long hair back.

dropinthebucket
January 25th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I think I would include MONEY as a poll option. I just got tired of spending tons of money on hair products, hair care, and visits to the salon. So I stopped doing it, and it grew (and dye grew out), and then I found LHC and decided to keep growing it. I think I saved over 1000$ in one year, taking into account trims, colour, shampoos, conditioners, and other products!! Enough to buy a new laptop! :) I did spend money on henna, buxus, indigo, natural shampoo bars, and castor oil - all told, maybe 200$. Still, a net savings of 800, and my laptop came in at 853. :D I have a friend who still spends 100/mth at the salon - that's 1,200 BIG ONES a year!! :O

Fethenwen
January 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I cut my hair to a trendy bob when I studied design, I wanted to conform. Silly me.

Not that long after that, about two years, I started to deeply detest anything having to do with design and also became more... how should I call it, a nature oriented. So of course having short hair just seemed very limiting and boring compared to my change of worldview and I started to grow it long again.

So I voted - got tired of short hair, rebellion against society :D Long hair for life FTW!

Caldonia Sun
January 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I developed skin irritations or allergic reactions to all the styling products I needed to make my short hair look nice. I found the longer I grew, the less I needed. Then curiosity took over and maybe a little "daring to be different" attitude. I also hate the whole process of being at a salon: the noise, smells, harsh products, tugging on my head while combing and blowdrying. And my neck doesn't bend that far backwards to use the tortuous sinks.

katrink
January 25th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I guess after 30 years of high maintenance hair I just wanted to take a break, best thing I ever did. So much easier to deal with long hair than short.

PeacenQuietGal
January 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm going to use of the words of two previous posters because they put my thoughts into words when i couln't seem to..."returning home to myself" and "falling in love with the community here".

And to that i would add that growing my hair long gives some Sass ala Willow Smith and "Whip my Hair" to the haters of the world!

And, lastly, when I think of my current difficulties I tend to think "Well they can't take my HAIR from me!!!"

( I really love it here and all that I am learning!!)

Venefica
January 30th, 2011, 04:47 AM
To be honest when I was a little girl I wanted long hair as I wanted to look like Wednesday Addams, when and adult I decided to grow my hair and dye it black to look more like the ghost in the Grudge. I also wanted to be able to style it into different sorts of buns and braids, short hair got boring.

jasper
January 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I could have clicked "too lazy to get a haircut" if that was an option.

krissykins
January 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Short hair doesn't feel right. Plus it's so much harder to manage. Plus I just like the look of my long hair, and the feel of it.

I like to swing it around when it's down. Yay for tangles!

virgo75
January 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I voted for life experience but it might really be that I was tired of short hair?

I had past waist length hair for a few years, got tired of it, and trimmed it over the course of several months eventually ending up with a 3 inch pixie. I immediately wished I had long hair again. lol

So now I'm letting(waiting for and pray for) my hair grow. :)

Knotted
January 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM
I love the feel and look of gorgeous long swinging hair.

ALYSSA
February 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
i think long hair is very beautiful and in my own personal opinion its very feminine..plus it makes my face look slimmer!! (:

omnivore
February 1st, 2011, 10:35 PM
I voted Life Experience and Religious Reasons, as the two are kind of tangled together as far as the story of my hair goes.

Ten-ish years ago, I was working at the front desk of a hotel and working on growing out blue-black box dye that I had been using for years. One evening, a hotel guest that I had checked in earlier walked through the lobby. When she checked in, she was all bundled up in snowmobile gear and wearing a balaclava, the only part of her that was visible was her face and hands. When she appeared for dinner, she was wearing a dark grey sweater and had the most :agape: braid I had ever seen. Waist length, about as big around as my wrist, absolutely no taper, and pure, snowy white. I made a deal with the Universe right then and there that if I could be permitted to have hair like hers when I get to be her age, I wouldn't complain about/abuse/generally torture my hair anymore. Three or so years ago, I realised (duh!) that I would have to make the first move on this deal. I'm now at 'can I call this bsl', have been heat and (styling) chemical free for two years, and have decided to grow out my bangs (see my post here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63528&page=8)).

Another aspect of the Religious Reasons vote has to do with a native american belief (tradition? Not sure what is correct here) that my very dear native friend told me when I asked him about his hair and his culture's beliefs: 'A person's hair tells everyone how long they have been here.' I still meditate on this and think about it a lot. It has become a very meaningful, multi-faceted statement for me.

AZDesertRose
February 1st, 2011, 11:01 PM
I just look much better with long hair. Short hair is not flattering on me.

ladyjo
February 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
My hair is very thick and behaves itself when long, when it's short it's impossible to control. I also think long hair looks beautiful and feels beautiful when you have it yourself, I used to love running my fingers through my clean and shiny long hair and feeling all smug, then I stupidly cut it all off :(

Silverdragn7385
February 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I've had my hair long on and off throughout my life, and I had always got compliments on it. So, one day, I decided to see just how long I can grow it out before it started to look bad...or before it starts to get on my nerves too much. :P

Lollipop
February 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM
My mom made me keep my hair short when i was little (although once upon a time I was at tb) so I want to grow it long. I think hair is just amazing, and I don't take too much care of myself, but I pamper my hair. I love the idea of a startling extreme, and I feel like hair is something that we have control over, and it is a reflection of ourselves.

Long hair is just plain awesome :D

morecowbell
February 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I used to have waist length hair, and I miss it. I will say though, that LHC has extended my original goal by a good two feet lol! :D I have been so inspired by all of the beautiful hair on this site! :)

Bubbleguppy
February 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I voted tired of short hair, as I suppose that's the closest! I've gone back and forth between short hair and growing out my whole life, and I'd really like to get it good and long for once. The last time I cut my hair I had it about at my waist, and then went back to chin length. Now I really want to grow it out and keep it that way!

*Rose Red*
February 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I am a fan of metal music and middleage events, and Ive seen many beautiful women there with long adorable hair. My hair was long when I was 18, and so I wanted it back.

sunnyhope
February 11th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Well, i v always had pretty long haoir,anything from about shoulder lenght to waist lenght, been cut once by a mean hairdresser that took just way to much and it ended up being just around my sholders and for years i struggeld getting it longer( think its due to my poorly health and all the medications i was on and still am) i studied in uk to be a hairdresser and going all year long thinking should i cut my hair short just so i atleast had it once..... well last day at college i cut it to a short bob, loved havong it for a few years having different variations of the bob. then an x bf wanted me to grow it( i was silly and inlove and about 19) and simce then i have let it grow, cutting it very reguarly as its important for me that it looks healthy, i m sorry but i hate long hair which is split and you can see its not being taken care off)

as for today its about to my braa, it used to be about 10 to 15 cm longer but i stupidly trusted a hairdresser friend to cut it and she cut off way to much.... next time i will do it myself but i will go to the hairdresser once in a while and i will go back to where i was last time before my friend did it as i was very happy with it.
I think i will grow out some of the layers but i will have it layered in the front as i just think it looks nicer to me.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd64/ninajeanette/CIMG6598.jpg

It currently looks like this.....
(and if anyone can help me get it smaller i will very much appreciate it)

roxylake
February 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Short hair is too much maintenance for me. My hair has natural curl and I don't like my hair short without straightening it. It's easier to have it long and wavy.

champignon
February 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I voted "life experience," because my usual answer is "grad school." A couple of years into working on my PhD, a breakup and some other things made me stop and seriously consider what needed to change in my life.

Many things, but one of the easy ones was that I no longer had the money or the time for the frequent, short, sharp, stylish haircuts I had been getting for years. I told myself, "Ok, you can start getting haircuts again when you finish your degree and get a professor job."

In the meantime, I've decided I don't want a professor job. And I'm still working on the darned degree. At this point, while I still think my short hair looked great, it doesn't feel like me any more. I've transformed so much, mostly in ways that are invisible. Long hair suits what am becoming more than the cute, short hair would.

What's funny is that I still tend to think of myself as "more of a short hair person" (I mean, I had a shaved head through half of college...), and am sometimes jarred when I realize how long this stuff poking out of my head has gotten. When people comment on how long my hair is, my first thought is, "Oh, it's not that long!," but then I realize... yeah, it's pretty long.

At this point, I have gotten a job and could get haircuts, but I'm not going to, mainly out of morbid curiosity. How long will it grow?

champignon
February 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM
To be honest when I was a little girl I wanted long hair as I wanted to look like Wednesday Addams...

Hee hee. At work the other day, I realized I was standing with my arms folded, talking to someone. I thought, "Oh, body language, you are appearing closed and defensive." Then I realized my index fingers were pointing up my upper arms. and thought, "OMG, I'm standing like Morticia Addams and I even have her hair! YES!"

NouvelleNymphe2
February 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM
so tired of it short, haven't had it long since i was a little girl. those two nailed it. :)

Lippytoes
February 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I always had long hair as a child (apart from one accidental-haircut experience when I was tiny - friend with scissors... :mad:). It was a huge part of my identity, and grew to around hip-length when I was a teenager.

At some point I started worrying that I only had long hair because I'd always had it, not because I actually wanted it. I wanted to try something new, so I cut my hair, in stages, till eventually I did the most drastic thing I'd ever done to it and cut a bob in autumn 2008. I kind of liked the shortness, but then, due to introspection and pure aesthetics - as well as laziness and lack of money to spend on hairdressers - I started growing the bob out. It just didn't feel like me. I'm glad I cut it, but even gladder that I'm growing my long hair "back" again. :)

My hair's a bit past BSL now, and I'm enjoying it more the longer it gets. Hoping to have my hair back to hip-length eventually!

So yeah. Combo of "used to have long hair as a child" and "tired of short hair", then. :)

Safira
February 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I always have thought that in my hair is my strenght. Stupid as it sounds. I feel that Im honoring my true self having long hair.

Jeno86
February 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The real reason I did it wasn't on the poll but I did it because I wanted to. I love super long hair. I suppose it could have been a love of Asian mythology and amazing fantasy styled films as a child. Seeing the beautiful clothing, amazing arts and the beautiful long hair must have done something :P

EdG
February 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I tried to grow my hair when I was in college, but I had to come home at the end of each semester, so I could never get more than a semester's length.

Once I was on my own, I could grow my hair. I started growing on a permanent basis at age 25. I haven't had a haircut since.

I have long hair because hair is meant to be long. :)
Ed

BrightEyes
February 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I've had short hair the majority of my life because everyone told me fine hair should never be long. I then met my current hair stylist who encouraged me to grow it out. I've enjoyed having short hair and I go through spurts (like just recently) when I miss having it short and "sassy". But I want to have long hair at least once in my life. Since being on the LHC and seeing all the heads of beautiful fine hair I've stopped listening when someone tells me I shouldn't grow my hair because it's fine. Having long hair isn't an "unattainable" goal for me anymore. I finally feel it's within my reach.:)

smrider
February 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
I had long hair originally when I was 12-13 after reading a book wherein a girl had hair long enough to sit on and I thought that was too. cool. :D I didn't end up making it to that length but I had almost waist length hair before I cut it and donated it.

Thatwp was followed by years of bleach/dye/heat abuse until about 4.5 years ago I went to far bleaching my medium-dark brown hair trying to get it white :rolleyes: and ended uo with scalp injury and my hair fried and falling out. I spent probably another year with chin length or shorter hair and another few highlighting sessions before I got pregnant with my son 4 years ago. I grew it out from a longish pixie to a heavily layered APL by the time he had his newborn pictures taken at 3 weeks old... then I cut and highlighted it again. HA! For the last time though and my hair was short so I dyed it close to my natural color and maintained it at chin length or shorter, slowly cutting of the chemically treated parts.

When I got pregnant with my daughter 2 years ago, I had just pas chin length heavily layered hair (but almost 100% virgin!) and I decided to grow it out again. I kept it up alot and forgot about it for a good year or so and then found out about LHC in April 2010 when my hair was almost BSL. I had a major trim in the summer of 2010 to even things up amd get rid of long gone chemical damage and after not trimming since then I am past BSL and on my way to waist! I hope to reach that by the end of the summer and then maintain at waist while getting rid of layers and then grow to hip (or maybe longer?;)).

ladylovecraft
February 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
The real reason I did it wasn't on the poll but I did it because I wanted to. I love super long hair. I suppose it could have been a love of Asian mythology and amazing fantasy styled films as a child. Seeing the beautiful clothing, amazing arts and the beautiful long hair must have done something :P

I think I'm quite similar to this. Fantasy films, the abundance of gorgeous video game villains with long hair all through my childhood, I've always loved and admired long hair. I cut it to a pixie style at 13ish and have had lots of hair experiments and disasters since then that kept it short. I had another (unintentional, unwanted) big chop the summer before last (09) and have started taking seriously good care of it since then. I'm excited to have long hair someday, and even that it's longish now!

gossamer
February 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
I wanted to be a princess when I grew up. :p

Twarg
February 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
I love the sensation of hair falling around my shoulder and brushing my arm. Theres a security and femininity in it for me.

trilobite
February 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
I like it because it is fun and feminine and it sets me apart. There seems to be kind of a uniform one is supposed to wear and it's my small rebellion. I have had many bad hair cuts, I avoided them, and over a year or two ended up with long hair, so it was kind of "dumb luck". I really love it since I developed gray streaks on the sides and I discovered that I can use "hair toys". I am now working on my 5 year old daughter's hair. After a bad pixie cut I decided to give up and let her grow it. I have trained her to use bands and clips to keep it out of her eyes and to use leave in conditioner to make it look nice. Her hair is very straight and stiff, so I know my work is cut out for me in terms of up hairstyles. It's fun mom daughter bonding. If you have any advice for child's hair I would appreciate it.

Kitara
February 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
This is gonna be a bit long. I voted for life experience.

A little over 3 years ago, my husband and I decided it was time for children. After some months of trying I decided to not cut my hair until I got pregnant. That was in June of 2008. I was diagnosed with infertility in December 2008 and didn't really know what to do about my hair. I was upset by the situation and people's comments about how it was getting long only reminded me of why it was that way. I figured I would not cut and sit in my pool of sad for a while.
We went through drug treatments and a couple IUIs (Ugh...no thank you!) to no avail. Feb 14 2009 I took my final pregnancy test showing a negative. Happy Valentines Day to me. I was about to cut, but liked seeing the curls I had, so I figured I would continue being lazy and not cut.
Then, in April 2009 we decided to adopt from China. I wasn't 30 yet, so we would have more waiting ahead of us, but at least there was an end in sight. I changed my goal. You see, the Chinese have a belief that an invisible red thread connects every child born to the people who will be a part of that child's life. It can stretch over oceans, but will never break and, over time, will draw tighter until the thread has brought those people together. I now let my curly red threads remind me that we will one day have our child in our arms, and every inch is getting us that much closer to her.

wavykisses
February 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
I really got tired of short hair, I love the way long hair falls and looks.
It is like a princess look and you can do so much with it,
even if you just wear it down without anything looks so heavenly.

Twarg
February 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Kitara that is just the most beautiful symbolism.

I found out that having children would be a challenge for me when I was 13. I didn't think I cared at that age but it hit me like a tonne of bricks when I found out that I don't seem to be ovulating very often at all. It was figured that time may change things as my body 'settles' but it never did.

However, like you, I just want to be a loving parent and I'm happy to give all the love and attention in the world to a child who doesn't have a home.

Your fiery red threads are drawing you ever closer to your little one. I'm excited for you :)

horseprincess
February 22nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
I've basically never had past apl length hair, and I'm tired of it. Plus, I've ALWAYS wanted long hair! =]

metricfuture
February 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
Bad cut: Not technically a cut, but I ended my years-long dependence on extensions a year ago, and my hair is STILL in recovery (but longer than it's ever been on it's own without dreadlocks).

Tired of short hair: As a Yankee expat living in Texas for many years, I've developed quite the appreciation for big (healthy) hair. My own hair is maddeningly fine, so I have to make up for in length what I lack in girth.

katienoonan
February 23rd, 2011, 07:39 AM
This is gonna be a bit long. I voted for life experience.

A little over 3 years ago, my husband and I decided it was time for children. After some months of trying I decided to not cut my hair until I got pregnant. That was in June of 2008. I was diagnosed with infertility in December 2008 and didn't really know what to do about my hair. I was upset by the situation and people's comments about how it was getting long only reminded me of why it was that way. I figured I would not cut and sit in my pool of sad for a while.
We went through drug treatments and a couple IUIs (Ugh...no thank you!) to no avail. Feb 14 2009 I took my final pregnancy test showing a negative. Happy Valentines Day to me. I was about to cut, but liked seeing the curls I had, so I figured I would continue being lazy and not cut.
Then, in April 2009 we decided to adopt from China. I wasn't 30 yet, so we would have more waiting ahead of us, but at least there was an end in sight. I changed my goal. You see, the Chinese have a belief that an invisible red thread connects every child born to the people who will be a part of that child's life. It can stretch over oceans, but will never break and, over time, will draw tighter until the thread has brought those people together. I now let my curly red threads remind me that we will one day have our child in our arms, and every inch is getting us that much closer to her.

What a perfect reason. That is so inspiring and beautiful. It makes my reason feel rather silly.

Taur5684
February 24th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Several reasons for me - when I was younger I loved the way long hair moved and looked in animated characters (Pocahontas in Disney's movie, various anime characters...), then as I got older I appreciated the way it looked in art and it seemed more feminine and beautiful to me (not that I'm an overly feminine person - but still) Also, my mother never allowed me to grow my hair past my shoulders; claiming it looked bad - that the weight of the hair flattened everything out on top of the head and looked sloppy on everyone who decided to grow their hair like that. She still tells me to cut it nearly every time I see her and it's only at BSL!
Now, I see some of the lovely up-dos that are posted on this site, and I'm growing so that I'll be able to put those in my hair some day!
So yes, many reasons :-)

hootski
February 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Kitara, that's so beautiful!!

My long hair goals are a very recent phenomenon! I think it was this forum that influenced me, that and having watched a youtube video on a couple different long haired beauties showing how they cut their own hair. Made me want to go long again.

My 14 year old daughter's hair is at BSL and since I gave it some layers, it looks great and now I want mine at LEAST that long! :D

RancheroTheBee
February 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Last time I grew it out, I grew out from bald. I'd shaved it to raise money for cancer research and I was having trouble growing it out healthy.

This time around, I shaved it again, this time just for plain old fun.

elbow chic
February 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
too cheap to get haircuts anymore. Back when I was single and had time/money to spare, spending thirty-forty bucks a month at the salon didn't seem unreasonable.

Now I can hardly let George go without squeezing him pretty tight first.

I was pretty depressed the winter after my second child was born. I didn't go out, didn't take care of myself, and if I DID go out I just slapped a hat on.

Come spring when I finally started to snap out of it, I realized I'd gotten through the worst of the "growing it out phase" by accident, so I just went with it after that. Saves money, effort, time, and I like the "natural-ness" of it.

Malaguena
February 25th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I voted for Tired of short hair. The truth is I just don't like short hair on me. I know short hair makes me look younger and perkier, sort of, but I can't deal with short hair. I hate it. I love a new short cut for the first week or two, and then I hate it. The only hair style I've consistently liked and kept for a longer time was long hair, so that's why I'm growing again. Long hair is way easier to maintain, because greasies can always be hidden and styling is as easy as a braid.

dernhelm
February 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I've always had longish hair, but then I would chop it and I would have to grow out a bad haircut...every freakin time!

I'm older now and I want to keep my hair longer to spite societal norms.

I'm lazy, and in order for short hair to look good on me I have to "style" it and I hate styling my hair. I also hate the salon experience. So having to go to a salon to maintain a shorter haircut every 6-8 weeks, not my cup of tea. I'd rather have teeth pulled.

CAPA7
February 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I always had long hair when I was growing up, then cut it short when I moved out to go to University. I kept it at mid-length after that, with regular visits to the hairdresser's for cuts/trims, but now I want my long hair back.

Ais
February 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I had long hair as a child, about BSL+, but I never liked my hair growing up as it's quite unruly and I could never control it. Didn't help that the only other girl in my class had waist length silky straight locks either :P So when I went to high school I chopped it up and kept it shorter for a while. Now that I've learnt to control it at shorter lengths, I can finally have the beautiful waist length hair :)

aznchck14
February 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Ive always been envious of people with long healthy hair, and when I was little my hair was fairly long (and also a different texture)

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
It's beautiful...and you can do so many cool things with it- like put different things in it and wear it in many different styles :)

I can't wait to reach my goal length!!

~maborosi~

Cirafly24
February 26th, 2011, 02:05 AM
It's beautiful and versatile, but my main reason for growing my hair long is to prove to myself that I can do it.

It's an exercise in willpower, patience, and commitment. And the reward is beautiful, long, healthy hair!

nazzooyzo
February 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM
bored of having short hair. and i just want to feel more feminine. plus i miss not being able to wear my hair up in a bun.

MeganE
March 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
So I was curious what reasons people had for growing their hair long- feel free to check more than one and please post in more details, especially if I've forgotten your reason!:)

I picked life reason. I've always liked long hair, and have often had it throughout my childhood. But when I was 18 I started taking belly dance lessons, and that fueled my desire to have truly long hair. :)

alittle722
March 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I picked tired of short hair. That is partially true, but really I have always been told I could never have long hair because it is "too fine and thin." So, I just decided that I want long hair and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

perizade
March 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Glad I found this pole. I've had Rapunzel syndrome for a long time. My mother forced me to have short hair as a kid and I hated it, and every short cut I got as an adult I regretted.

AnnaJamila
March 11th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I picked tired of short hair. That is partially true, but really I have always been told I could never have long hair because it is "too fine and thin." So, I just decided that I want long hair and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Hurrah!

Lol, when baby fine hair grows really long I think it looks like fairy hair!

leandrahime
March 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
A stylist cut my longish-hair about 6" shorter than I wanted. I came here trying to get advice and discovere dhow gorgeous that even LONGER hair can be!

lm119
April 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM

I decided to try growing my hair long after discovering other women online with my hair type growing their hair past apl with success. As a kid my hair never grew past neck.

anniebelle
April 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Other. I would like it slightly longer and healthier first, and not focus totally on length. :)

CurlyCreature
April 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
cutting it. I used to have long hair, but it was so dammaged. But after I cut it short again, I wanted my length back and badly!! I started looking on line for ways to grow out faster, but then realized all about TRUE hair care and I saw pics of waist length and longer and got so inspired!

SallyCinnamon
April 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I voted "tired of short hair" which is partially true, but I really wanted to see if I even could grow it longer. Also I like to change my look from time to time. I am at BSL now, which is the longest it has been in my adult life.

TheLionKing
April 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Rebelling (against society or family) yay

Nah, I have always wanted long hair. I just looked weird with short hair

ksanka02
April 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM
A year ago I was searching social network site and saw former classmate. She always had waist long natural blonde hair, but for some reason I just realised how beautiful her hair is. And I got soooo jealous. Now growing my own.:)

TakeAPotatoChip
April 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'd always been wanting to grow my hair long (bcl+) since I was around 12 (yet for some reason I've kept up with dyeing since 10) so I had to keep cutting off damage, but now I have gone quite a while without wanting any other color besides my own natural one, so I think I can now finally start on my way to seeing terminal :cheese:

Foxie2
April 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
My husband wants it long. Now I'm on a mission to see if I can grow it long again without all the split ends

beez1717
April 12th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Even when I was little I've always liked the look of long hair. It wasn't until a year and a half ago that I was willing to put thework into maintaining my hair. It was one of the best decisions I ever made! Now I'm apl and still growing :)

zina
April 13th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I had long hair when I was a child. Then I cut it to shoulder and grew it long again. Then I cut my hair to a bob 3 years ago, and have accidentally grown it to about bsl. Now I want to grow my hair even longer, because I'm also growing out bleach and I might cut my hair yet again when my virgin hair get long enough. I don't know what is long enough yet though. :D

Nanni
April 15th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I've had some really bad haircuts and I'm trying to make it easier for myself and my stylist. It is mush cheaper to have long hair as well.

Aaroo
April 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM
My choice is tired of short hair..and that has been most due to my lack of knowledge about hair! This site really encouraged me after I made my first decision to start growth.

I didn't know what to do with my hair, so tried anything such as different colors and highlights, trims, any tools, heat etc to make it beautiful. I'm so happy that found the correct path finally!

alipes
April 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I used to have long hair when I was younger, and due to experiences in growing up I decided to cut it all off. For quite a while now, I've waffled between shoulder and APL length, but I spent a while thinking about it and decided I would enjoy the experience of growing my hair out longer, to whatever length that happens to be.

silkheart
April 17th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I've always loved the look of long hair and this time I'm finally going for it! It's exciting. :)

Lizbeth
April 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM
As a child I was forced to get my hiar cut short, though I always wanted long hair, really, really long hair. It's just me, the way I should look and the way to feel like myself. I think I'm old enough to be like that now. :D

KlarissaD
April 18th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I had long hair as a child, down to my waist and I first started missing it, when I saw a picture of myself at my grandmother's house. I also wanted to do more updos and like the look of long hair in general as I'm a fan of metal and fantasy.

Ithildae
April 18th, 2011, 03:38 AM
While I was a child my hair never got longer than chin and I kept being told that my hair is too thin to grow. So I started growing to show that my thin hair could get long. Additionally I think short hair doesn`t suit me :)

saera
April 18th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Tired of short hair =/
But it takes forever to grow and then I get bored and chop it off T-T

Qadupae
April 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM
If there was an "other" choice, that would have been mine. Mine is kind of a conglomerate of reasons. I've had kind of long hair as a teen, but never took care of it. I've had short hair for the past couple of years and was getting bored with it. I've tried many different hair styles above shoulder length, but never past. Thought it was time to challenge that habit ^_^

Freyariane
April 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I picked "Bad cut", "Had long hair when I was little, wanted it back" and "Life experience".

In fact when I was young, my mother who is disabled couldn't comb my hair herself. So I was obligated to cut them in a bob style at every new year school.
At age 7, she noticed that I was doing very well with my hair (I was braiding them etc).
I had always wanted to have long hair, just like those princess in fairytale. So she authorized me to let them grow.
All my life I went from long (waist/hip is the longest I ever had) to short (shoulders/BSL). But each time I got short, I was sad and cried and let them re-grow again.

This time I really want long hair, at least the classic length. I'll never go back to short again. (In 2008 I cut my hair from waist to chin because of a breakup...)

SirFS
April 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm simply tired of short hair.

Mrspuddinhead
April 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Simply because long hair is beautiful and I've never had ultra long hair. I believe the longest I've ever had it is current length, BSL.

RitaPG
April 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Voted Tired of short hair
my mom had me in a bowl cut since I was around 10, for practical reasons, and I was okay with it back then. But in all honesty, I like long hair better ^^'

Theobroma
April 27th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I chose "Had long hair when I was little, wanted it back", but that's only one of my reasons and the others aren't available in the poll! Long hair is beautiful, low-maintenance, feminine, versatile, and simply me in a way that shorter hair isn't.

Kwongdzu
April 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Like many others, tired of short hair. And with discovering LHC, realized I COULD have long hair despite it being fine.

Not sure if it's possible, but my goal is to reach BSL by the time I reach 40...

AshNight1214
May 26th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I had long hair initially because I used to do the kabuki style Japanese dance, so I had to at least be able to bun it. Now, it's because I'm an opera singer and it's weird to have a soprano with short hair. And because I think I look like a boy with short hair. XD

Gaelle27
May 27th, 2011, 03:56 AM
REVENGE: Because I was tired of earing my university collegues always saying bad thing about my hair (fine, weird colour, etc etc...) so many times that I cut it over and over again. Now my revenge is to grow long and beautiful hair. Because I love it, and I want it. And I DONT CARE what they say!!
:pegasus:

Ishje
May 27th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I had long hair most time of my live, but after a cut from waist to shoulder I decided to cut back.
the change was nice, so no real regrets, but longer hair is nicer, and looks better on me, I think.

Chamy
May 27th, 2011, 04:57 AM
1. I have had long hair before, and loved it. For some reason i cut it shorter and shorter, and then i didnt enjoy it as much, so i want to go back to the feeling i had before about my hair.

2. I wanted something different, something that would turn heads if i wore it down. And i wanted to feel feminine.

3. Like i said on the first answer, i was tired of short hair. :) And of course i love long hair!

4. Had many bad haircuts, and im tired of them.

So, in short, many reasons.

dragonchickx
May 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have had every hairstyle except long hair, so that is what I am wearing now. I have also had too many bad haircuts.. Plus my husband always checks out the girls with long hair so that is one reason I am growing mine. Also it is a challenge to have healthy hair, and I love challenges.

spike316
May 30th, 2011, 04:24 AM
For me it's more of an experiment, I've never had REALLY long hair, the longest I've ever gotten was just past apl and then I did a lightening treatment on myself that I left on waaay too long and chopped it all off. I just want to see how long it gets before me/DBF get tired of finding long shed hairs everywhere.

Becky9679
May 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I ticked 'tired of short hair' but it was actually something very specific. I was just randomly looking around on the internet in November of last year and came across a site to do with Pre-Raphaelite ladies and their wavy hair which included this picture of Fanny Cornforth (one of Rossetti's mistresses) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dLSVgS5AxBI/SXxWb8AvUJI/AAAAAAAAWag/kCfGbHLmVUU/s400/FannyCornforthphoto.jpg
which reminded me how much I loved having long hair (I had hip length in the past but since cutting it off in 2004 I've never been past BSL and have always had layers). I did some more searching round and came across this forum and the first thing I saw was a beautiful signature pic that someone had put up of themselves with tailbone length red hair in amazing braid waves. As soon as I saw that I thought "I have to get back there!"

Wish I could remember who that mystery girl was, I'd message her and tell her how inspiring she was. Still, after being a member for 6 months I'd say most people on here are pretty damn inspiring! :thumbsup:

Knittycat
May 31st, 2011, 11:18 PM
I had my hair cut very short, almost pixie, in second grade. I haven't had it long since. My Mr. likes long hair, I was getting tired of short hair, and I wanted my long swishy pretty hair back! It's only been two decades...

Apriori
June 1st, 2011, 03:57 AM
I have always had long hair so about a year ago I decided that I at least needed to try short hair, went to the hair dresser and she cut my almost waist long hair into a pixie cut that was a little longer in the front. I hated it from look the moment it got cut and later I realised how much work there is in short hair. I needed to style it every morning or it looked really bad and it just wouldn't stay out of my eyes.
So now I have really learned to apriciate long hair and I really won't it back. This time at least waist, hopefully hip lenght. My hair just doesn't grow very fast so this is gonna be a really long term project.

ashamanjababu
June 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Can neglect be an option? Seriously, I started growing my hair long because I just kind of forgot about it for a few years, then decided I liked it!

TheMechaGinger
June 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I had short hair for like 5 or 6 years on the advice of a lot of friends and family members. Everyone was bobbing their hair and my aunt kept insisting it was fashionable so I cut it and kept cutting it. But then I decided the heck with all of that I'm doing what I want and growing my hair out again! I got sick of only being able to put my hair in a puny ponytail, long hair is gorgeous and versatile and who wouldn't want that? =]

Ravenwind
June 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
I have always wanted and loved long hair since I was little.

maybe sparrow
June 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I took up bellydance. How many short-haired bellydancers do you know of? ;)

sun-kissed
June 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM
I've always had APL hair, even when I was very young. And it was always my dream to have long flowy blonde hair that dragged on the ground behind me.
Now that I'm older, my dream is not so... well... impractical.
But I do still want at least BCL hair, with chopped off ends. I think long hair is so beautiful and fun. ;D

halfbroke
June 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
I decided to grow my hair long because I have never really had long hair. The longest it has ever been before I decided to grow it out was bsl. And I voted tired of short hair.

Ligeia_13
June 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Amy Lee :p

to be fair, it WAS a long time ago.

KittyLost
June 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I picked Tired of short hair. My hair needs a lot of work when it's short (anything above APL). I did the whole going shorter thing and found I actually couldn't style it properly. I also thought it made my face look rounder, especially when it was at it's shortest with a chin length a-line. I decided longer hair was for me although I did keep my hair at shoulder for a year after being BSL for several years and loved it. I missed my curls though, at longer lengths my natural wave looks great but at shorter lengths it fails, which leads to spending time with a curling wand that I couldn't be bothered with. So I guess laziness is also a factor in deciding to grow my hair :p

I've also never had hair longer than BSL, so since deciding to grow it I'm quite curious to see how long it could grow.

dmarie63
June 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I also chose "tired of short hair." I didn't have a good head of hair til I was like 4 years old lol. I think because of that, my mom usually kept my hair long. Very few times in my life did I choose short hair and when I did have it, I complained about how my hair acted.

I had no choice but to cut my hair short a couple years ago due to a crappy crappy coffin-sized hard water shower. I couldn't keep my length out of the water (I even tried pinning it up) so of course it was caked with minerals and felt disgusting! So, I had to cut it to chin length, which allowed me to keep it out of the water. I kept trying to let it grow a little hoping that my water magically got better, but of course that didn't work :(

The landlords redid our bathroom so now we have a normal tub and I can clean my hair properly which means LENGTH!! :) It definitely would've been past my waist by now if I didn't have to cut it.

angleofdeth
June 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Boy...this one is a loaded question...

Forced hair cuts as a child. Bad hair cuts and color from salons. I'd had enough and started to grow out my hair a bit. Decided that when I was 50 I would let my hair grow to my waist. Be rebellious in my 'old' age. : )

Then several years ago my younger brother passed away. Totally unexpected. I was devastated. I kind of let things go.

I ignored my hair for quite a while.

Next thing I knew I was well on my way to my goal...just a little earlier than I thought I would start seriously growing my hair. So I just went with it.

Haven't cut it since.

MomOf2Gremlins
June 9th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Voted 'tired of short hair' as there was no other option that fit for me otherwise. Personally I want to grow my hair long because I feel more feminine with long hair. I've had a pixie cut for many years and while it worked in my 20's, now I felt I only looked harder in the face..

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I feel it will just enhance my visage :)

QueenJoey
June 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I never allowed my hair to grow past a certain point. Since my first haircut when I was 6, I kept getting it shorter and shorter till it was a bob.

Honestly, my real reason is somewhat shameful. I was watching Tangled for the first time, and was amazed with how lovely her hair was and how she could do so much stuff with it. At that moment I conciously started growing my hair out, and working to make it grow fast and healthy.

Red_Wednesday
June 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I voted that I had long hair when younger, and I want it back again. I have to say though, there are many days(lately) when I seriously wonder why I want it long again...it's a hand full:rolleyes:

Dr. Girlfriend
June 18th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I voted that I was tired of short hair, but honestly I think there is something magical about lovely, long hair. I guess I want to capture some of that magic for myself. :)

kidari
June 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I agree there is something really beautiful and magical about long hair. I've never had it really long before and am determined to get there!

PolarCathy
June 18th, 2011, 05:59 AM
None of the above. I have a quite characteristic face and while people keep telling me that short cuts suit me very well I would rather not stand out that much now that I am getting older, LOL. I wanna be more "invisible". I don't want to grow it too long though because it would backfire ;)

CrystalStar
June 18th, 2011, 06:22 AM
It's more personal preference here! I just think long hair is different, and very pretty. :)

skara_brae
June 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I didn't make a conscious decision to grow long hair, I made a decision to stop wasting money at the salon. ;) And then one day I woke up and people started saying "wow, your hair is long!" And I realized I liked it and decided to keep going. I think it's nice, my husband likes it, and I enjoy that there are a ton of hairdos and hairtoys I can experiment with that most other people can't.

McFearless
June 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I used to have it long and I want it back!

flourish
June 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'm tired of short hair so I decided to switch it up, easy as that.

on-fragile-wing
June 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I've always had long hair and I prefer it this way.

thestookem
June 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM
One day I just decided to grow my hair long. I had no forethought or real justification for it. Two years later its almost apl. It's pretty cool when decisions made on a whim have great consequences.

MoonlightShadow
June 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
i decided to grow my hair long because i didn't want my hair to be short or average length...i would see different girls with short hair and noticed that they could barely do anything with it :(
i've been trying to grow my hair out for 6 years lol. it wasn't until about a year and a half ago that i actually learned how to care for my hair :D now im making progress ^-^

Ina
June 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
My hair used to be hip length, and I miss it

Zesty
June 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I checked rebelling because part of what attracted me to having very long hair is the fact that it's extraordinary. I feel like my appearance is fairly ordinary, and having unusually long hair is something I can work on that would be something out of the ordinary. Another part of the rebelling reason is that I really dislike conventional hair care - the damage and hassle of salons, dyes, hair dryers, etc. So I'm rebelling in the sense that I want to prove that I can be really successful without those things.

But of course there are other reasons. For me it's semi-spiritual to get to know this part of my body, to learn from it and listen to it and work with it instead of against it. I really pay attention to my hair and scalp now, in the same sort of way I really pay attention to my body because of menstrual cups. And on a more shallow level, I just think long hair is really pretty. :D

whitestiletto
June 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, ut shouldn't htere be an option "because it's beautiful" ?

dancingbarefoot
June 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
There's no poll option for "because I looked terrible with short hair", but that was my reason.

Molls
June 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I picked "tired of short hair" - but really I had an adorable A-line cut with pin-up bangs... Loved it... then this chick at work totally copied my haircut, so I decided to grow it out, lol

lilasianvixen77
June 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I always had long hair when I was little but cut it pixie while in college. Then had a cancer scare 8 yrs ago so I cut it super spikey short. Tried growing my hair out over the last couple years but really wanted long hair for my wedding 2 yrs ago but it was still a long bob below my ears.