PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Henna Gloss

Niwa
November 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I loved the effects of the henna gloss (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58590) that I did. The henna seemed to amplify the conditioning and strengthening effects of deep conditioning. So enamored was I of the henna gloss, in fact, that I am considering doing a full head henna gloss every week. My hair is black, so I am not worried about any burgundy effect of repeated henna applications. Still, is every week too frequent?

:cheese:

caribou55313
November 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
If you won't show or don't mind the color, then it's perfectly fine to use henna weekly. There was a woman from India who posted to the H4H forum about doing full-strength henna weekly, she said a lot of people did so!

Niwa
November 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you, Caribou! I would appreciate more input, but your response is helpful.

Avital88
November 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm planning on doing that too! i just had a henna gloss yesterday and last week too, i love how it makes my hair look and feel thicker and much more shine.
I dont think once a week is too much to gloss,its like a deep treatment right?
xxAvi

halo_tightens
November 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
If you're not worried about color saturation and you like how it makes your hair feel, go for it!! :)

jojo
November 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Go for it henna glosses are lovely but the real full on henna are the bees knees!

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Start off by saying that I am no expert. But I know that the acid in Henna coats the hair. Wouldn't frequent applications without a 'resting period' between them possibly dry the hair out, as no moisture can get in?
This is just a question that I've been wondering about lately too. In the last weeks I have used 2 full bars of Caca and 70 grams of Celebration henna. My hair and wallet are asking for a break I think :)

patti
November 19th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Since glosses are mostly all conditioner how could they harm your hair? I have been using henna and glosses on my hair for ages and my hair just gets better and better. Henna is addictive. If I am wrong I would like to hear why from someone with more know how.

Niwa
November 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Go for it henna glosses are lovely but the real full on henna are the bees knees!Not for me. The full henna left my hair so rough, badly tangled, and dry that I contemplated cutting. Never again. I am happy though because henna glosses use less henna and save money, lol. Maybe my hair is as frugal as I am.

GRU
November 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Not for me. The full henna left my hair so rough, badly tangled, and dry that I contemplated cutting. Never again.

Just FYI, henna can leave a resin coating on hair, which is what can make it feel dry / rough / tangly. It goes away with a few washings. (and since I started adding fenugreek powder to my henna and following up with an SMT, I haven't had any issues with the resin)

CurlyTresses
November 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Just FYI, henna can leave a resin coating on hair, which is what can make it feel dry / rough / tangly. It goes away with a few washings. (and since I started adding fenugreek powder to my henna and following up with an SMT, I haven't had any issues with the resin)

Gru, can this resin coating happen even with first henna application or is it just after several henna applications? TIA :)

GRU
November 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Gru, can this resin coating happen even with first henna application or is it just after several henna applications? TIA :)

Yep, it's an "every time" type of thing, rather than a "buildup over time" thing.

Based on my own experience, I'm guessing that different recipes (and possibly different brands/crops) leave different residues. A couple of washes seems to get rid of it entirely.

Niwa
November 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
A couple of washes seems to get rid of it entirely.This was not the case for me. My hair felt simply terrible even after several weeks and countless washes. Maybe the resin you refer to requires shampoo to remove? I am a strict conditioner-washer and apple cider vinegar is the harshest I get. I wouldn't have even tried henna again if not for the fact that I bought a lot of it to make the incredibly expensive shipping costs at Henna For Hair worth it. As it turns out, the henna gloss is perfect for me. :)

MafiaPrincess
November 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
I hennaed for the first time at the beginning of the week. My hair felt a tangly and gritty after, I couldn't get all of it out. Next day I rinsed again no shampoo and used some oil as it felt so gross. It helped. Last night I finally washed my hair and it feels normal. Possibly a little softer than usual, but I've never really had hair issues and have never done anything more than shampoo and condition before finding LHC. I'd never oiled or deep conditioned lol.

Dolly
November 21st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I had issues with tangliness and what-not the first time......on the second and third apps, my first shampoo post-henna was a clarifying shampoo followed by a good moisturizing conditioner and vinegar rinse......

GRU
November 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
This was not the case for me. My hair felt simply terrible even after several weeks and countless washes. Maybe the resin you refer to requires shampoo to remove? I am a strict conditioner-washer and apple cider vinegar is the harshest I get. I wouldn't have even tried henna again if not for the fact that I bought a lot of it to make the incredibly expensive shipping costs at Henna For Hair worth it. As it turns out, the henna gloss is perfect for me. :)

I've been CO-washing for a little over a year now -- I haven't needed shampoo to get rid of the resin.

But if I've learned anything from my time here at LHC, it's that everyone's hair is different -- what works for one person won't work the same for another person. I'm glad that you were able to find your solution with henna glosses!

mamaherrera
April 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
full strength henna weekly. I have been doing those white hairs at my temple weekly with henna. A couple questions
1) I have been noticing lately that after henna, I have like white flakes/dandruff in that area. Also, a lot more shedding, not breakage, but full little hairs coming out in that area. Do you all think henna will make your hair fall out, or some procses of the henna making my hair fall out there? I don't want to become bald in that area from over-hennaing. My mix is with grapefruit juice. I know people in india do it weekly. so I hope it's ok, but maybe is it not? Maybe a henna gloss in between just to add some color to those area, but not be so harsh??
2) are there any henna gloss recipes that do deposit enough color to white strands??
3) Can you do henna without plastic wrap?? I Just wonder because men in India do their bears, and I dcoubt they put plastic wrap on it?? It would be more comfy without having to have your scalp smothered all the time. :pumpkin:

allycat
April 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
mamaherrera, I do a henna gloss to my roots every 2 weeks. I have a few grays at the temple and it covers them just fine. I just throw a shower cap over the whole thing, very easy, and let it sit for an hour.

I wonder if the grapefruit juice is just a little too drying to your scalp, hence the flakes? You don't need to use acid with it. My henna gloss is about 1 tablespoon of henna, let it dye release, then mix into approximately 2/3 cup conditioner and apply.

Amber_Maiden
April 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I'd say go for it!

mamaherrera
April 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
thanks so much. And when you dye release the henna, what do you use to dye release it and how long?? I like that better. I know I will get less color obviously but I still don't understand teh advantage of doing a henna gloss. wouldn't it be better just to do a straight henna full, maybe with a less acidic thing, like tea and I would get more color out of that for an hour than a henna gloss. What are the advantages??? and from just an hour, what kind of color do you get on those?? And finally, you all don't think it's protein overload from doing it weekly?? I have med-coarse hairs.

allycat
April 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
mamaherrera I dye release some jamila henna with a little hot tap water for about 3-4 hours. The advantage for me is that if I were to repeatedly layer henna, especially full-strength and on the entire length, the color starts to go towards burgundy which I don't want.

I have naturally strawberry blonde hair with some grays so since it is diluted in the gloss, and I'm only doing the roots, I don't get that repeated layering of color and it stays the nice coppery color I want.

The grays definitely come out a little brighter, vivid orangey color but after it oxidizes in the next day or so it all blends in again.

I don't think henna contains protein, does it? Anyway, I love it and have no issues. I've been doing this every 2-3 weeks for 2 years now and my hair is thicker and stronger.

ETA: oh, and a box of henna lasts forever!

mamaherrera
April 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for that click reply. :cheese: I know what you mean. My hair is black, and from doing weekly henna on my roots, now the length of the hair is black, like black cherry but without light, it looks as black as my natural black hair. I guess the other advantage is that you have less weight on the hair and it's easier application. My problem is that I don't want coppery or orange. I want a red at least because orange/copper won't blend . Un less I just do with copper for three weeks, and then once a month do a regular henna to get all that length red again.

How do you apply, just your hands and how thick of a coverage to you have to apply to get those roots, since it's in conditioner now???? Maybe i"ll give it a try since it's just an hour, it's quicker and you don't have to do the full-oput plastic wrap. Or maybe i'll just try an hour with full henna and see if I get enough color for my needs. why water it down if I need the color deposit, right? Thanks so much. and yes henna is protein, but I see more shed hairs, I believe and not so much breakage so I think I'm ok to continue weekly. Maybe some more DT's after doing henna. Thanks!! Oh and when you do your temples, do you just do that area, not the whole head? And you just do roots or length as well?? Just wondering. how you manage your upkeep. These white hairs keep us busy.

allycat
April 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Just don't use Jamila then because it's known for being orangey! I've seen redder, less orange ones talked about in the henna threads but I can't recommend one. What are you using now?

I'm pretty lackadaisacal with application! My method is to put a little coconut oil around my hairline to avoid color on my face. Then I just use my fingers (with gloves) to apply it along my part, and continue to part it bit by bit down one side applying the henna, then down the other side. I do the back sort of the same by feel. At the end, I just kind of massage/smoosh it all around my roots to make sure they're all covered. I don't think it's too thick. That 2/3 cup gets used up evenly.

The length is dry and I pop on the shower cap, or sometimes I plain condition the length at the same time. I wrap a towel over the cap to keep it warm, and then wash out after an hour.

I generally do my whole head just the root area each time, but yes, you could definitely do a single area, like temples if you wanted. It's a pretty easy method.

Your hair sounds a beautiful color. Would you be able to "spot" apply the full-strength henna if you like that coverage better, for example to your temples?

Littlewing13
April 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I think I might do this. I'll have to mix with cassia & after a while do cassia only though as I dont want it too dark. But I love the shine & condition & my hair is so much thicker & stronger. Love it!