PDA

View Full Version : Henna question.

vanity_acefake
November 10th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Has anyone mixed up a batch of henna with extra water, strained out the henna(and used) and mixed the henna water with their shampoo or conditioner so when you wash your hair you are also getting a bit of colour too? Like the shampoos you get for red hair with a bit of pigment in them to keep your red colour longer.
I have been pondering this for a while and wondered if it would work.

Milui Elenath
November 10th, 2010, 04:40 AM
That sounds so interesting but I wonder if you would get dye demise?

BTW you might need to pop over to the site support and ask a mod to move this to the Henna forum. :)

aenflex
November 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Interesting idea :) I have never done it. I think if I were going to experiment like that, I would save the water, but simply soak my dry hair in it and maybe leave it on all day over the weekend or something like that. If I put in bottles, I'm afraid after a couple days in my shower environment, it would develop bateria??? Could be wrong but I'm weird like that. I do very much like the idea of doing a next-day soak after henna....

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yes I have with conditioner though not shampoo its whats known as a henna gloss. If you put henna gloss into the search on here, you will find lots of information regarding these and yes they are good!

vanity_acefake
November 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Jojo I'm not talking about a henna gloss. I do them already. This is to try to make a shampoo/ henna water mix to keep the henna colour from fading. So it is much like the colour deposit shampoos and conditioners you can buy. :)

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I thought henna glosses were for just that; to boost the colour?

I agree that water hanging around could quite easily go bad very fast, but maybe the water could be frozen? I know some people freeze their henna mixes.

Try it and tell us! ;)

little_cherry
November 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't mix water into conditioner/shampoo unless it was right before a shower in a small container; enough to use for the shower. Introducing water to shampoo= bacterial growth.

jojo
November 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Jojo I'm not talking about a henna gloss. I do them already. This is to try to make a shampoo/ henna water mix to keep the henna colour from fading. So it is much like the colour deposit shampoos and conditioners you can buy. :)

so Idont understand why if you are getting the benefits from a henna gloss would you want to mix the henna with your conditioner-its the same thing isnt it? or am i missing something?:)

halo_tightens
November 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
It might be possible to make something like this for immediate use, but not to keep in the shower for use in future washes. Once henna has dye-released, it has a limited lifespan and doesn't retain its benefits forever. It seems to me that any actual lawsone in the final mix would be completely kaput within a couple of days, so you wouldn't be getting any color boost from it whatsoever. I would also worry about bacterial or other contamination.

little_cherry
November 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Lush makes a shampoo bar called Reincarnate (http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/solid-shampoos/reincarnate) that has henna in it. I've used Reincarnate before I hennaed and it does colour the hair gradually.

vanity_acefake
November 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all your imput. Guess it wouldn't work after all.
Littlecherry those shampoo bars sound great.
Jojo what I was wondering was if I could make up the shampoo/henna water mix to use every time I washed my hair. So it was always there. Henna glosses take time for the henna dye delease (i live in Scotland and as its so cold that can take forever!) and i was looking for something that was always ready. I wondered if you could henna your hair as normal but use extra water, drain the water off and mix the drained off henna water with shampoo so every time you shampoo your hair there was a bit of henna stain in the shampoo. So you could get a bit extra from the henna you originally used to dye your hair.
:)

halo_tightens
November 11th, 2010, 09:53 AM
...and i was looking for something that was always ready. I wondered if you could henna your hair as normal but use extra water, drain the water off and mix the drained off henna water with shampoo so every time you shampoo your hair there was a bit of henna stain in the shampoo...

Yeah, I think that's where the problem lies-- the "always ready" part. The magical window of time between dye-release and dye demise just isn't long enough. By the time your next wash came around, even if it were only a couple of days later, it would probably just be muddy water with no staining power left to it.

little_cherry
November 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
vanity_acefake, have you tried mixing up your henna and then freezing it in ice cube trays? Then you could just pop one out, thaw it and mix it in with your conditioner. The freezing encourages dye release.

Personally, I wouldn't add henna powder to your shampoo bottle. Like halo_tightens mentioned, it would demise very quickly and not be very effective at all--also, there will me lots of little grains to wash out every time you shampoo.

The Reincarnate is cool-- it smells a little earthy, but my hair loved it. It does contain sulfates, but if your hair likes that, then that shouldn't be a problem.

vanity_acefake
November 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Halotightens that's a brilliant idea.
Littlecherry I will have to take a trip to lush.
Thank you all for your wisdom.

little_cherry
November 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Littlecherry I will have to take a trip to lush.

I believe the reincarnate is only available online at this time. I used to love this shampoo, but had no idea I was actually super sensitive to Sulfates. too bad, because My hair and I really loved the Jungle conditioner bar, but my scalp hated it.