PDA

View Full Version : split ends??

daddyzprincess
November 2nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
I've heard a lot about trimming split ends and if you don't they'll break off and make your hair shorter.
I've had split ends for a couple of years now and I've never trimmed them. However, instead of getting shorter, my hair got longer. :confused: Is the trimming thing just a myth or what?

McFearless
November 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
Well it depends. Usually the splits split further up the hair shaft before snapping off. This process takes a while and your hair will continue growing from the roots. If your hair breaks more than it grows you'll be at the same length until you remove all the damage. Luckily in your case your hair grows faster than it breaks. I think you'd benefit from removing all your splits.

UltraBella
November 2nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
No, it's not a myth. Split ends will often travel up the hair shaft and breakage is a problem for many people. However, not every single hair has a split end so your overall length will continue to get longer although individual hairs may get shorter as breakage occurs. Trimming the splits before they can worsen is often very helpful.