View Full Version : Getting Coconut Oil Out of the Bottle?

XcaliburGirl
November 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
I just got my pint of coconut oil from Herbco.com (along with some cassia and catnip).

The only problem is, it is in a tall bottle with a narrow mouth. Being solid, it won't pour out. My index finger barely scrapes the top of the oil.

How can I get it out? :confused: Can I safely melt it, pour it, and then cool it again to a solid? It's a plastic bottle. I'm not sure if it's microwave safe.
I guess the other option is to cut the taper off the bottle and scoop it into another container.

Any suggestions?

Sundial
November 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
I suggest putting the bottle in a bowl of warm water. Once it turns liquid, pour everything out from the bottle into a Tupperware or some other contain where you can easily scoop out portions that you need. That way you only have to heat it once and you won't have issues trying to get it out in the future

Dolly
November 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
I suggest putting the bottle in a bowl of warm water. Once it turns liquid, pour everything out from the bottle into a Tupperware or some other contain where you can easily scoop out portions that you need. That way you only have to heat it once and you won't have issues trying to get it out in the future

My suggestion as well.....it doesn't take a whole lot of heat to melt it......and mine has been melted and re-solidified several times....with no lasting changes.....

aenflex
November 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Stick a Q tip in there and grab some, is what I do :)

spidermom
November 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
I second the hot water idea, then pour it into a wide mouth container. I have a glass jar that used to contain an expensive "body butter". That's where I pour my coconut oil now.

enfys
November 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
It should melt easily, by a window or radiator ought to be enough warmth. When it has liquified decant it quick into a tub you can reach in.

It melts and solidifies very easily so don't worry.

XcaliburGirl
November 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Great, thanks for the suggestions!

I'll try melting it with warm water. That way I can put some in a small container to keep in the bathroom and leave the rest in a closet or the fridge.

The Q-tip idea would only work for the first couple of inches. It's a very tall bottle with a very small opening.

dfotw
November 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yep, sticking it into a pot of hot water or just under the hot water out of the tap should be enough to melt it, and you can then re-house it in a container with a wide mouth. I use a tin of fruit candies (like this: http://www.sweetmania.co.uk/images/new/fruit2_travel_tin.jpg) and the plastic tube of the last hair-butter I went through...

starlights
November 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Well you can warm the plastic bottle for 40 secs in the microwave to turn it to liquid, or you can put the bottle in a pan add some hot water from the kettle, and wait for around five minutes for it to melt the liquid inside :)

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I sit mine in the shower with me. Then after I'm done, it's liquefied.

HintOfMint
November 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Mine comes in a plastic squeeze bottle, so I just microwave it. It goes through melting and re-solidifying without any problems. I would transfer it to a different container though, after melting it, just to save some time.

McFearless
November 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Run hot water on the side of the bottle. It will melt right before your eyes.

mali
November 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Agreeing with sundial and Vermelha,great idea! :thumbsup:

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks!

And sometimes, I just scoop it out with a tablespoon. After you melt it the first time, it'll melt easier the second time. It stays solid up to 75 degrees F, which is a low melting point.

In2wishin
November 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
I sit mine in the shower with me. Then after I'm done, it's liquefied.

What a great eco-friendly idea! :cheese:

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
What a great eco-friendly idea! :cheese:

:D Wow, didn't realize it was eco-friendly until I thought about it again. Hmm...I've always been the kind to "kill two birds with one stone," but I guess it really is, huh? ;)