PDA

View Full Version : Henna is sitting on the counter - essential oil question

PoysinIvy
October 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I've seen that a lot of people add essential oils to their henna mixes before applying. I don't have a lot of "individual" oils - what I have hanging out are blends.

The one I like the scent of best is called Dream Catcher. What I'd like to know if anyone's heard bad things about any of the oils in the blend and if they're going to be detrimental to my 'do:

Sandalwood
Tangerine
Ylang ylang
Black pepper
Bergamot
Juniper
Anise
Blue tansy

Thanks for your help! I've got one final test run in my pocket with the henna, which just dye released, sitting on the counter. If I like the test again, it's going on my head tonight.

Catia
October 14th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I was waiting for someone with a little more knowledge to post ... but I will tell you what I know :p

It is generally frowned upon to use essential oils in henna (for hair) because they can soak into your scalp and cause a reaction; most commonly a headache.

Having said that, I love using them in my own mix. I would take it slow with the amounts. I am currently using lavender/geranium (which is a terp) at the amount of 10-20 drops/100 grams. Very fragrant with no adverse reactions yet, and I am prone to migraines.

A word about terps ..

Some essential oils can deepen your color (cause more dye release) in henna. I can't remember them all, but they are the ones that contain 'monoterpene alcohol'

These include:
Tea Tree
Eucalyptus
Cajeput
Lavender
Geranium

There may be more, but not many. The other EOs you have listed won't help with dye release, but I don't believe (in small amounts) they will hurt either.

Have fun! But remember the disclaimer - take it slow with the amounts!:flower:

PoysinIvy
October 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hi Catia! I ended up scrapping the eo idea because I too suffer from migraines. I plopped the stuff on last night and am now a hennahead!

Catia
October 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Very Cool :)

You can do a better "control" study with your henna this way too. Makes way for fun experimentation in the future should 'straight up' get boring ;)