PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon burns! OUCH!

error
September 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hahaha ok so where do I start . I was reading through the forums and I heard a lot of great things to adding cinnamon to your conditioner. I added (don't laugh) 4 tablespoons ,to a half pint of suave coconut conditioner. I mixed it up real good , it smelt fantastic! Then applied it to my hair and scalp, a few minutes pass , and oh boy did it burn . It burnt like the venom of a thousand fiery hells. I then ran my head under cool water till it felt good lol , but now my scalp is pink :-< . Does anyone here know of a good safe amount of cinnamon to add to your conditioner ? I gotta say my hair is super soft :-> lol.

AstrayStar
September 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Don't remember off hand, I read it quite some time ago now, but maybe checking the honey lightening thread - I think they talked about how much cinnamon is a good amount to try, without causing irritation. Always good to err on the side of too little though :) sounds ouchy!!!!

error
September 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Lol it was bad but it sure smelt nice, perhaps i can use my violent concoction on the length of my hair and wrap it .

bumblebums
September 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Ouch! My condolences. I don't know what would be a safe amount for you, but I've used a teaspoon in my homemade shampoo batch without incident. I use 1/3 or half a batch each time I wash, so I am guessing 1/3 of a teaspoon is a good beginner amount. Be very, very careful, though.

While we're on this subject, we should perhaps bring up cinnamon essential oil, which can cause some pretty horrific reactions (http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/495684.html) too.

wvgemini
September 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, cinnamon can be pretty volatile. Black Phoenex makes a few perfume oils with cinnamon and cassia and I can't really wear any of them. FIRE!

error
September 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hahah wow perfume cinnamon , it probably smells pretty but you are most likely better off spritzing it onto your clothing!

Anje
September 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Condolences... Hope you get it to cool off a bit soon. (If nothing else, all that pink skin and extra circulation might be good for growth. Not that I advocate burning your scalp to get there, but I have seen people use *small* quantities of cayenne EO in scalp oil blends for the increased circulation.)

I don't know what's necessarily safe, but I suspect it's closer to 1 Tbsp/pint than 4.

I don't think you should plan on spritzing cinnamon on your clothing either, incidentally. Cinnamon has some peroxide to it (see this thread...) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2125), and you probably don't want to risk making lightened spots on your clothes.

ETA... Looked at the livejournal link. Despite what the person who wrote it says, I don't think the pictures show an allergy to cinnamon EO. Rather, the stuff just burns and irritates that much! It's generally worth avoiding getting that particular EO anywhere near skin.

error
September 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Omg you are the best! Thank you for your helpful information! <3

Hylia
September 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
This same thing happened to me, my face and neck was red for a day. Is there really a safe amount to use, I think some people are just allergic to it, even small amounts irritate my skin.

RitaPG
September 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Cinnamon can be pretty nasty. I bought EO myself a while ago, and found out that it causes severe reactions, I must have spent an hour rubbing jojoba oil to neutralize the damn EO off my skin :( I don't think it's an allergy thing, though, it's just a very harsh product, have seen lots of people having reactions to it.
I really like the smell of cinnamon too but I'm not sure I should use it on my scalp, EO or spice.

bumblebums
September 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
ETA... Looked at the livejournal link. Despite what the person who wrote it says, I don't think the pictures show an allergy to cinnamon EO. Rather, the stuff just burns and irritates that much! It's generally worth avoiding getting that particular EO anywhere near skin.

I agree, it doesn't have to be an allergy. Whatever it is, though, I wouldn't want it on my skin!

carloota
September 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
I heard that the brown stuff sold in the United States that is labeled "Ground Cinnamon" is actually a type of cassia. That being stated, I used 1 tablespoon of "Ground Cinnamon" in 16 ounces of olive oil. I let that mixture steep for about 2 weeks before using it. I would massage my scalp with about a quarter size dollop of that mixture and never had an allergic or any adverse reaction. You may have used too much cinnamon/cassia in your mixture. Generally I'd advise to try different ratios, but since you had such a bad reaction, it may be best to not use cinnamon at all. If you'd like a scented oil, perhaps 1 or 2 drops of an essential oil diluted in a carrier oil may work out better for you. :)

Dragon
September 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
I defently wont try that.

RadiantNeedle
September 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
This makes me a sad panda. I LOVE cinnamon! I'm going to have to experiment with the tiniest amounts, because my dream is to smell like.. Cake, I guess. Vanilla, cinnamon and coconut!

marisa
September 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Funny, you'd think we'd be burning our throats &/or stomach linings by consuming it!
Strange how things work.

I once had a bad reaction to the EO much like those live journal photos.
Prior to that I had been using it regularly as a perfume.

melikai
September 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
:lol: Yeah, I did a similar thing recently, when I did a honey treatment and added cinnamon. As soon as I put it on my head, I realised my daftness! I had red streaks down my face and neck for a while afterwards. The other issue was rinsing the damn stuff out! I had cinnamon dandruff for DAYS.
I think if I add it again, I'll use the EO and only add a tiny amount.

Drynwhyl
September 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I ignored the warnings and did a honey-cinnamon treatment, burnt quite a bit. At least my hair smelled like cinnamon even after 2 washes! I looove cinnamon, I eat tons of it.

bumblebums
September 23rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Funny, you'd think we'd be burning our throats &/or stomach linings by consuming it!
Strange how things work.

It reminds me of when in a restaurant kitchen, they always tell guys to wear gloves when they slice jalapenos... Because they always forget to wash their hands after slicing them and before going to pee. Ahem. Horrible things happen.

There are those few things we can put in our mouths but not on our skin.

clairenewcastle
September 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Much as I love the smell and taste of cinnamon, I've found even a small amount on apples or in herbal tea irritates my digestive system. It seems to increase the production of my stomach acid.
In my experience what irritates me externally does likewise internally.

supermanok03
September 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM
lol i did something similar!! i wanted to make a body scrub out of sugar and olive oil, and i wanted to scent it with an EO. of course i didn't research anything, i just bought cinnamon because it smelled so nice!

boy did i find out not to let it on my skin like that again!!!!

ktani
September 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The EO is stronger than ground cinnamon. It is a powerful irritant and has no peroxide value that I know of so using it for a lightening treatment makes no sense and those who tried reported no lightening results.

Both the Cinnamon thread and the Honey thread have warnings about the risks of using too much cinnamon in a mix, although the OP of the Cinnamon thread used quite a bit.

It is a common irritation reaction rather than an allergic one. Aloe vera gel was reported to help calm the skin. The reactions lasted on average about 20 minutes with no lasting negative effects.

I never saw this thread or I would have posted sooner.

Anje
September 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
It reminds me of when in a restaurant kitchen, they always tell guys to wear gloves when they slice jalapenos... Because they always forget to wash their hands after slicing them and before going to pee. Ahem. Horrible things happen.

There are those few things we can put in our mouths but not on our skin.
Ah yes... that reminds me of the time DH cut up a bunch of habenero peppers. TMI: despite washing his hands, there was still some heat on them. I suffered greatly when we got "frisky" later that evening and ended up having to smear yogurt on my nether regions to cool the burning! Also, it's rather bad if you rub your eyes after handling peppers.

christine1989
September 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm suprised that cinnamon hurt to put on your scalp but I guess it IS a spice. I have tried cayanne pepper in my hair and it wasn't too bad. I suppose everyone has their own pain tolerence level.

ktani
September 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm suprised that cinnamon hurt to put on your scalp but I guess it IS a spice. I have tried cayanne pepper in my hair and it wasn't too bad. I suppose everyone has their own pain tolerence level.

In the Honey thread, there were people who used only 2 tablespoons maximum, the recommended amount, and had no problems until they increased the amount.

bumblebums
September 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Ah yes... that reminds me of the time DH cut up a bunch of habenero peppers. TMI

Ouchiee!! :)

Yep, the relevant tissues (insides of eyelids, etc.) are all similarly sensitive. The inside of the mouth looks the same, but it's made of much tougher stuff.

RocketDog
September 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I burned myself using cinnamon in a honey lightening mixture a while back - I might have the photos somewhere, I had bright red welts all over my face where the mixture dripped. I haven't used it since, mostly because I henna my hair now and don't use a honey lightening mixture at all.

ktani
September 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I burned myself using cinnamon in a honey lightening mixture a while back - I might have the photos somewhere, I had bright red welts all over my face where the mixture dripped. I haven't used it since, mostly because I henna my hair now and don't use a honey lightening mixture at all.

I always recommend it but it can be hard to tell from patch testing. I hope you recovered quickly. Most did. I do not recall offhand.

McFearless
September 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Omg:( You okay?

I think you can try it again but on your length only, in a ponytail with a bag over it. Hmm..