PDA

View Full Version : Buying hair stuff in person

WaitingSoLong
September 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I really want some more hair things, specifically a wood comb for detangling, but I really do not want to buy it online. Are there any stores that actually sell this stuff? I live in Indiana USA. I have tried Sally's, they have "bone combs" but they just look plastic to me and I swear they had seams. I have tried all the department stores like Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

And what about things like forks and sticks? I visited the Ketylo shop once, and it is only a few hours from me but still, a few HOURS. Plus, all I have is ketylo and I was wanting to expand.

I like to see it in person before I buy. More than once I have been unhappy with something I purchased online that would have been a non-issue had I been able to hold it in my hands before purchase.

Carolyn
September 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm like you. I prefer buying in person when possible. Try The Body Shop for a wood comb. They have a store locater on their website. Nordstroms will have a few basic Ficcares and France Luxe toys. Craft shows will sometimes be a source for sticks.

torrilin
September 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM
The shops I buy a lot of my hair care stuff from are definitely not like Wal-mart. One is the Soap Opera, which specializes in soap and perfumes. They don't sell much shampoo or conditioner, but they carry boar bristle brushes, wooden combs, and they often have interesting or useful liquid and solid soaps. Dr. Bonner's can be good for hair.

The other is Community Pharmacy. One store, and they mostly aim at the local Madison hippies. Lots of organic and natural products.

Chances are your town or a town nearby has a similar small shop. Keep an open mind and poke around!

ReluctantlyCurl
September 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
And what about things like forks and sticks? I visited the Ketylo shop once, and it is only a few hours from me but still, a few HOURS. Plus, all I have is ketylo and I was wanting to expand.

Wow, so Ketylo has a shop?! I had no idea, and he is like less than 2 hours away from me!! Oh goodness, that could be dangerous...:run:

In2wishin
September 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
The shops I buy a lot of my hair care stuff from are definitely not like Wal-mart. One is the Soap Opera, which specializes in soap and perfumes. They don't sell much shampoo or conditioner, but they carry boar bristle brushes, wooden combs, and they often have interesting or useful liquid and solid soaps. Dr. Bonner's can be good for hair.

The other is Community Pharmacy. One store, and they mostly aim at the local Madison hippies. Lots of organic and natural products.

Chances are your town or a town nearby has a similar small shop. Keep an open mind and poke around!

I love both of those! They are on my list when I make the hour journey to Madison for unique shopping. (Also need to go to Yue-Wah, Cost Plus, and Hobby Lobby)

For those looking for similar shops, college towns are always good bets.

Kelli Kat
September 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Surprisingly enough, Sprouts carries wooden combs and brushes.

RedStripe
September 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Are there any craft fairs or art fairs that happen in your area? If so, see if there are any artisans who make and sell hairtoys there.

WaitingSoLong
September 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Wow, so Ketylo has a shop?! I had no idea, and he is like less than 2 hours away from me!! Oh goodness, that could be dangerous...:run:

Not a store, his shop where he makes them. He let me come there once and I know he has let others as well, but there is no store.

WaitingSoLong
September 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
None of those stores are around here. :?

The closest seems to be in Louisville, about 1.5 hours away.

Well, I will try looking :eye: for a specialty store in Bloomington, it is a college town.

Carolyn
September 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
There is a Nordstroms in Indianapolis. I've been to it. I checked to see if there was one in Louisville and there isn't.

WaitingSoLong
September 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Going back to read....I missed Nordstroms? I tried to write all the names down and google them...

ETA: Ok, I found where you mentioned Nordstroms and guess I didn't look it up because I don't like Ficcare. Not sure what France Luxe is so will look that up.