PDA

View Full Version : What Age Did You Get White/Gray Hairs?

LadyGoddess
September 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm a few months past turning twenty-five and my boyfriend found several white hairs atop the crown of my head. He plucked one and it was about three inches long. I dyed my hair in February, so they've appeared since then.

I'm mostly doing okay with having white appear in my super dark brown/dyed auburn locks, but I wonder...what do I do now? Should I let them slowly grow in, over time changing the composition of my hair's appearance? Do I cut my hair so that the little white streaks aren't like little inch worms slowly making their way down the 3+ feet of my hair?

For the most part, I'm super excited that my hairs are white and not gray, as I imagine me rocking white ponytails. I'm mostly just concerned about how it'll change the look of so much hair...

teela1978
September 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I found my first ones at 16. They weren't noticible until my late 20s... although I did dye my hair for most of my 20s after a friend said "lets go blonde!"

MandyBeth
September 5th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I had white hairs by 14, I dyed, messed up my hair, hennad, now giving up to let my hair be.

masa_inn
September 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
14-15
They weren't noticeable until recent (I'm 32 now).

AJoifulNoise
September 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I found my first one at 22. I have several now. I think it's cool. :D

virgo75
September 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
My mom found some in my head when I was about 5 years old.
I remember her freaking out going, "OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!!! YOU HAVE GRAY HAIRS!!!" Then she proceeded to pluck my hair out of my head. Ouch! >_<

But they started to pick up after I was 23 or 24.
Mainly in the front(of course :rolleyes: ).

They're just now noticeable.

I usually henna, but when they grow in faster than I can henna, sometimes I'll pluck the 5 or 6 that are right in the front. :lol:

JenniferNoel
September 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
15-ish. If I remember right it was just one little section by the bangs. I was already dying my hair by then. :p

Anje
September 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Found my first one at 12, and I think it was full-length. Yanked it!

They've been accumulating a bit in my 20s, and I think they've been picking up the pace since I was about 26. I think I've got 1-2 dozen total that I've noticed, but most of them are on the top of my head (probably will end up with a bit of a streak up there like my mom got).

I blame grad school!

Eventually, I'll stop the henna (I keep saying that...) and just let them grow. I'd rather let them come in on their own than someday decide to stop covering mostly-gray hair and have a huge line of demarcation growing down my head. With the henna, the line is quite faint still.

noelgirl
September 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm 26 and still haven't found any yet.

ScarlettAdelle
September 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I found my first one at 12. but it had grown out pretty long. it was darkish near the end and went blonde then silver about 4 inches from the scalp, so it'd been hanging around for some time. Now, at 21, I've got quite a bit, I like the contrast between the silver and the near black, so I'm growing it all out.

Jenn of Pence
September 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
...I blame grad school!

Eventually, I'll stop the henna (I keep saying that...) and just let them grow. I'd rather let them come in on their own than someday decide to stop covering mostly-gray hair and have a huge line of demarcation growing down my head. With the henna, the line is quite faint still.

Heh, I blame everything on grad school. ;) I found true white/grey hairs by 25 or so. I now have 5 or so noticeable ones on my crown, maybe more elsewhere. One little short one tries to stick way up in the air and wave to everyone!! Sadly, they really standout in the light from my bathroom window, but probably nobody else really notices them.

Mom had jet black hair and went grey very early, but she kept it dyed forever. She's now in her 60s and finally letting it go, but the color had gradually been getting lighter for 15 years. I think it's that line of demarcation that got to her, too. And that's the thing that keeps rolling through my head every time I contemplate any kind of dye...how long would it take that line to grow out on waist-length or longer hair?? I guess I just made the decision long ago to not dye and am accepting it slowly as more come in.

little_cherry
September 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Between 14-15 years of age. They weren't grey; they were whitish silver.

Heavenly Locks
September 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I'm 29 and found my first white hair this year. Just one. Right in the middle of my bangs.

It kept sticking straight UP or OUT or in any way except the way I like my bangs to lay so I pulled it out. I felt kind of sad, but it was being a PITA. :o

No others have yet to appear. I have found several platinum blonde ones, some red ones and even a few black wiry ones. I look all the time, it's like a treasure hunt!

julia941
September 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM
After I had kids. I found the first ones in my mid-30s and now I have quite a few. I really don't want to colour my hair again, so I'm trying to go with grace. My natural colour is a mix of brown, auburn, blond, and now white. I was afraid my mostly straight hair would become frizzy because the white hair is so curly when it first appears, but as it grows it straightens out to match the rest of my hair. I would love to wear my hair down my back in a solid white braid someday.

TinaDenali
September 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I cannot speak for myself as I don't have any (my mom didn't get a single one until just a few years ago, about age 45), but my DH has had grey hairs since I met him at age 22. He gets stray ones here and there (though, more and more each year!! :) ).

babysteps
September 5th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Found my first ones right around 30-32ish... I'm 34 now. They look a little peculiar, very silver/white in my dark gold/blond hair, especially since as far as I can tell they're only growing at my temple on one side. Hubby is 37 and doesn't have any yet (the bum. lol.) but he loves mine.

aries
September 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Heh, I have a head full but started getting mine around 20. Kids used to pull them out but I made them stop in my 30"s cause I would have had a bald spot lol.

christine1989
September 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM
This is kinda scary! So many people have found grays in their early 20s and even teens! I'm 21 and haven't found any yet but now I'm a bit paranoid.

Katrina
September 6th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I'm 33 and haven't found any white/gray hairs yet. Surprisingly many of us has them really early.

Johanna
September 6th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I discovered my first white hair at about 16. It was really long as well. I used to dye my hair but now I'm letting it go free. It's so much softer now, my white hairs arent really noticable unless they're placed in direct contrast with my dyed bits. I'm not shy about them

bridgetsgirl
September 6th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I haven't found any yet at age 25. I've been meaning to ask my dad when he and my mom got theirs so I could calculate an approximate age. I have found a few on DH, starting when he was 20.

ilovelonghair
September 6th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Got my first white one 2 years ago and now age 36 I got 3 white ones. I henna and guess if I get more I end up with highlights, really cool. Although completely white hair is cooler, but no one ever goes completely white in once (and it takes forever to get that nice pure white)

leslissocool
September 6th, 2010, 02:40 AM
My best friend had them when she was 9 years old. She has a lock right on the crown too, and she used to dye her hair blue/black. Her hair looked like she had the most amazing highlights ever! Lately she vowed to let her virgin hair show, and to be honest with you, her hair looks so good! No one can tell she has white hairs, they look like super shiny hairs... It's really a genetic thing, hers are white (not gray) too and the texture is really pretty in my opinion.

Night_Kitten
September 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I've found a white hair at 26, but I guess it appeared alittle earlier, because it was quite long when I noticed it... Now I have a couple near my right temple and 1 near my left temple (what's up with that lack of simmetry? LOL :D)

RadiantNeedle
September 6th, 2010, 03:27 AM
24 maybe? I had one right near the middle in my hairline, but its fallen out as a result of my terrible shedding.
I miss it :(

Rini
September 6th, 2010, 03:30 AM
This is kinda scary! So many people have found grays in their early 20s and even teens! I'm 21 and haven't found any yet but now I'm a bit paranoid.

I was just wondering why you find it scary? Is it because you think it would mean you are getting "old"? I'm just curious, I hope you don't mind elaborating :) I would appreciate hearing more.

mellie
September 6th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I found a few when I was 19. Now I'm about to turn 39 and I have about 10&#37; silvers, mostly all underneath.

alwayssmiling
September 6th, 2010, 03:49 AM
This has been a real eye opener for me - at how young some of you were when you found your first grey hair! I'm 37 and haven't any grey yet. I have dyed my hair over the past few years, but I get enough rootage to notice any greys. My sister doesn't believe me because she was in her early 30's. My OH was in his 20's but it has been a very slow process in turning silver. He really likes his greys.

Captain Nikki
September 6th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I was about 35 when my father kindly pointed them out to me. There was only a couple then but now i have half a dozen or so (turning 39 very soon). I get my hair coloured regularly to cover them. I hate them because they are wiry & frizzy & my dry skin & wrinkles make me look old enough without having grey hair as well.

Johanna
September 6th, 2010, 04:47 AM
It really depends on the genes that you get. My Grandmother doesn't have a single grey on her head. My Nana on the other hand, she's been as white as snow since her 30's. It doesnt matter if you've got grey/white hair if you're confident about it.

drquartz1970
September 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Found my first grey hair at the temple area at 21! Slowly growing in grey since.

Brianna
September 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I dyed my hair through most of my teens, so I really couldn't say for sure, but the first time I found a white hair I was about 20. :) I have a couple at least, but they're usually a bit hard to find. I enjoy having them. :cool:

camara
September 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I found my first grey hair at 26. It was already 4-5 inches long when I found it, so it must have been there for a while.

Angela_Rose
September 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I found my first few at 11, but you know how they say stress will give you greys? Talk about stress- my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia when I was 11 and since Mom was so concerned with Dad, I ended up playing mommy to my three younger siblings and trying to operate my own life.
I found a few others over the years and now at 26 am seeing a marked upswing in grey production. There are several at the top of my head, a few in each temple, and a dozen or so coming out of a scar on the right side of my head. That scar's been there for almost 20 years but it's only recently been greying out.

Dvips
September 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I started at 16, but it is a very slow progression. I would say that most people could not see my silvers until I was in my forties.

Balenciaga
September 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
None yet, and I'm 25.

Tiina
September 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I am 19 and I have a white/silver streak (about 1cm2) at the back of my head. No idea how long it has been there.

Gladtobemom
September 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM
My first white hairs (and they are WHITE), turned up when I was in my mid twenties.

I never had more than a few visible until I was about 42.

Gatubela
September 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I found my first one at 31 (this year, the day after my birthday!) :)

GoddesJourney
September 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I've had them since I was twelve. They seem to come and go between times of stress. I've found hairs on my head that were actually striped, and you could date them back to problems with an ex boyfriend. I'm now 26 and I only have two that I know of that appear to actually be permanent on the right side of the crown of my head, along with this one absurdly copper hair. Go figure. I know that my mom started dying her hair in her late 30s to early 40s, so I may end up with grey hair at that age. On the other hand, my dads family starts in their 40s and get a slow increase of salt to pepper. I don't think they go fully grey until their 70s to 80s + if ever they live that long. They have a terrible lifestyle. I think my grandpa still had a lot of dark hair when he turned 70. It's all up in the air.

ChrissieM
September 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Well, I recently stopped dying my hair completely (I quit the chemical dyes in April 09, and my last henna gloss was May 10) and I've noticed a few maybe grey hairs that might just be ash blond. It's hard to tell next to the reddish copper growing out, and I have a million different colors in my natural hair color. But I did just find my first real WHITE hair a few days ago. It's a new hair in my bangs, only about 1.5 inches long right now with a tapered end. It stand out bright white against my skin versus just disappearing like my fine blond hairs do. I'm kind of excited about it....I just turned 33 and my mother started getting grays about the same age.

bte
September 6th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Currently 55 and just a few in the eyebrows in the last few months.

Miasen
September 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Am 23, haven't noticed anyones yet. But then again, my dad is almost 50, and he doesn't have any either. :p

Demetrue
September 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I noticed my first white hairs at around age 16, then more when I was 18. After that, I colored my hair for 30 years because I was afraid of the gray. Finally, in my late 40's, I stripped off the dye and my hair is 75&#37; snow white. Funny thing is that I am getting many more compliments now that it is white than when I was dying it blonde to cover the white ;>)

Beets
September 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
First one at 17, steadily increasing in number to where we are now, at 32.

NorthernDancer
September 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Wow, it's amazing that so many of you first started going gray/white so young! I thought my mom was an abnormality, she started going gray at 15. By mid-30's she was half grey, and now at 50 she is maybe 75% grey/white.

I on the other hand am 25 and haven't noticed any grays. I've been coloring for 8 or so years, so I may have them and just not know it. But I tend to go a really long time between colorings, so I would think I would notice if there was some.

I love that so many of you are embracing your grays! I know so many people who hate going grey, and color like crazy to cover it up.

tanya222
September 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
My mom found one smack dab in the back of my head, parting it to make 2 braids, when I was 7 years old!

I made her pluck it out.

Adora Belle
September 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Hmm, I was about 18 or 19. Just one or 2 at first, now I have about a dozen. I henna so they aren't that noticeable. They are all in my part line so when I don't henna for awhile I have a skunk stripe that really stands out and looks funny ( to me any way) because its not a solid stripe.

I figure that when I start having kids I'll probably grow out the gray. The idea of being gray doesn't really bother me that much, just not quite ready for them at 24.

I did have one bad experience though, when my office manager pointed them out to the entire office then started giggling. Talk about unprofessional. :rolleyes: She didn't really mean anything by it, and I work in a small office, but still, I would have a stern talking to if I went around pointing out every one's wrinkles.

cmnt831
September 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I noticed my first silvers when I was 19. They may have been there longer and I just never noticed them. My niece has had a few white hairs since she was an infant. She's two now and has a nice little streak going on. :D

Othala
September 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I fist got them at 35 years old which is way earlier than anyone else in my family. Hard life, I guess. Still waiting for the eyebrows to turn white...I don't want to look like Alistair Darling!

cuddledumplin
September 6th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I found my first ones at the age of three after my hair grew back in after being mauled by a dog.

slz
September 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I found my first ones at 16.
Same here, around 15 - 16. It didn't get any better with age, and now at almost 39 my canopy would have more white than anything else - if I'd let it have its way :D . I was already pretty noticeably grey in my late 20s - early 30s and looking back on it I should have gotten used to it and accept it as it came, now I'm pretty much stuck with the dye :( .

buzzlegum
September 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I always was afraid to get gray hairs early, but apparently it's all not that bad for me! Yikes, at 12, at 5... :/ I'm 19 and still haven't found any. Even though my hairs can look weird and ashy in a certain light.

Arianwen
September 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was just shy of 30 when I got my first...36 now and I have more. *shrug*

dreamy10
September 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
way too early!!! before I turned 20 I think. aaargh!

boomtownrat
September 6th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I discovered my first one when I was 14 and started dyeing - for fun, nothing to do with the grey/white hair - a year later. When I was 28 and getting my hair cut at a salon, the hairdresser exclaimed that I was too young to have so much grey. I already knew I had it well before then, so I'm guessing it was probably noticeable in my roots by 26 or 27. When I let it go natural the first time at 28, it was about 50&#37; grey/silver/white, making me look like a blonde. At 33 or 34, I chopped it down to an inch and it was iron grey and silver all over (essentially, the pigmented part had gone a dark ashy hue, having lost all its previous red tones, and probably 2/3 was silver or white). Now, at 37, as you can see it's very silver. The nape and a little bit above my ears is still iron grey with silver mixed in, so I'd say I'm 95% silver. It's definitely silver and not grey or white.

constantki
September 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I got my first ones at 13 and they were heavily noticeable by 15! I kid you not, I would have people actively ask me about why I had gray hair in school lol.

Blueneko
September 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM
34. I have located approx. 5 grey hairs thus far. It is likely that I have more like 20+.

Luckysock
September 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Found my first this year, at 29 :( I'm not too thrilled - it isn't so much the colour for me as it is the texture - the couple of white hairs I have are wiry and coarse- oh well maybe the next whites will grow in soft :)

hairyfairy
September 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I got mine at 32 and it was white. At 50, they are now starting to make their presence felt.

beez1717
September 7th, 2010, 01:27 AM
lol i'm 21 and mom finds a grey hair once in a while on my head. I guess that's just a fluke that she finds or something. lol.

marisa
September 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I was 18 when I noticed one in my hair.

Now twenty years later I have quite a bit around my hairline and scattered throughout.
A few random streaks in odd places. :)

I chem dyed most of those years so I never quite knew what was going on under there.
Now that I'm using henna everything is showing up as "highlights".
I am fascinated by how much grey I have now.

wendyg
September 7th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I really have no idea, though a friend I met in my late 30s says, "It always had streaks", so it must have been before that.

wg

DifferentLex
September 7th, 2010, 06:08 AM
First gray appeared when i was 20, now at 25 i have about 10 greys (5 in the bangs - uhh i hate those because they stand up and wave here we are) and 5 on the crown :(

slythwolf
September 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I found my first white hair at 26, but it's in my eyebrow. :D When I start seeing them in my regular hair, I'm going to use indigo to go back as close to my natural brown as I can manage and then just let it happen naturally.

akka naeda
September 7th, 2010, 06:21 AM
16 or so.
DD is 12 and has a couple at the back of her head.

charalito
September 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM
My first white hair was found a few weeks after my 33rd birthday. It is still the only one there... The good thing is that is perfectly white and thicker than my regular hair, so I'm expecting to have more volume and thickness as I grow old. Something nice to look forward to :)

Angeletti
September 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I found my first gray a couple months ago but so far that is the only one. According to my mom and sisters they started seeing them more regularly in their early thirties, so lets hope mine won't show up in large quantities till then.

Islandgrrl
September 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
WAG: In my early 40s. A few here and there. Pretty much confined to my entire head, though, so I'm not worried. :silly:

sunrain
September 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I believe I started noticing white hairs at 16. Funny thing is that they turned back to normal black after I started massaging my scalp when I joined LHC. Now I have at least a few hairs that have a few inches of white. :D

My brother had one when he was 6ish before my sister's friend accidentally pulled it out, lol.

Ravenne
September 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Found my first at 20. I'm 22 now. The first I noticed was the streak on my nape/hairline. And I recently found a single white kinky lone hair up at my part. :p

-simply Venus-
September 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Wow, you guys got them so young!! I'm 14, and so far have none.. lol. My mum started getting them around her 30's to 40's, she's 55 now and barely has any. Guess she's lucky?

But there are people in my school who have some gray hairs, so I guess it's not that uncommon.

GeoJ
September 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I found my first white hair at age 27. A couple of years later I noticed another. They are symmetrically positioned on the center sides of my head. I haven't gotten any others yet. The two I have are white, and they have more 'sparkle' than the rest of my hair.

My Mom is 56 and still has mostly brown hair, my Dad's is fully gray (and was by his early 50's). My Dad's hair seemed to make a quick change; my Mom's hair seems to change slowly, a hair or two at a time turn white.

RitaPG
September 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
16, or 17, I'm not sure. There aren't many, a couple dozens at most, but they are long, a lot more obvious nowadays.
If you don't know what to do about it, let them be. I don't mind having grey hair, even if my brother and mother mock me for it. My sister thinks they're cute and I'm ok with it anyway :)

froglet
September 7th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I discovered my first white hair at 26. A friend of mine walked up to where I was sitting, said "Oh, you have a gray hair!" and immediately grabbed it and pulled it out! Ouch, some friend... :lol:

Now that I am 40 years young I am about 25% gray, which is actually not gray but a silver color, or would be if it wasn't covered by henna.

kittensoupnrice
September 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Found my first white hairs at around 9 years old, I'm guessing.

They've waxed and waned over the years, and actually seem to be disappearing lately. :hmm:

I tell my mom it's from all the blueberries I eat everyday. :p

Ludde
September 7th, 2010, 11:23 PM
My first couple at 35. Since last year, my daughter got ill, all of my new growth is half white.

FrannyG
September 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I found my first silvers in my early 20s. Since my hair was blonde, they didn't show up much. My hair really darkened in my late 20s, especially after I had my kids, to a mousy dark blonde, and that's when the silvers really started showing. I was quite grey by my early 30s and have been colouring ever since.

trolleypup
September 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM
16...but they started to be enough to sparkle after 30.

shawty
September 9th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Haven't had one yet. :D
I blame the vegan diet!

invisiblebabe
September 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Don't have any, don't expect any for quite awhile as my mom and dad both didn't start going gray until they were around their late 40s.

My mom-in-law went completely light gray in her late 20s though!

emmabovary
September 9th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Well I'm not sure if the silver/white hairs I found this spring loose in my hair were from me, my mom or my dog. :p Probably the dog, judging by how kinky they were. I'm 23.

SgtMomArmy
September 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
35 or 36. I still don't have many at 41. My white ones in my eyebrows bother me most. :)

Messy Cook
September 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hmm, I am 44 now. I think it started about two years ago.
I have some grey hairs, not that many but they are clearly visible since I am a brunette.
They are welcome though....growing long, gray hair gracefully...I hope.:)

Zindell
September 10th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I'm 43 and still not a single white hair. When they turn up I will just happily let them grow. :-)

RedButterfly
September 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Depressingly, I got my first gray hair at around 19 or 20. I noticed it in college. It wasn't anything that needed hair dye until I got in my thirties. So even if you get a few gray hairs early, you may not have enough premature gray to cover up until your thirties or older.

Nightshade
September 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I found one when I was in high school, all white and super long. I've only recently started seeing a few on a normal basis, though and I'll be 30 later this month :)

halo_tightens
September 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Sigh... I still don't have any. And I want them!!

My mom and grandma started getting them in their twenties, so I thought I would too, but I haven't. Mom's hair is almost all silver now at age 50, and she hennas over it. It's so bright and beautiful! Mine seems dark and drab in comparison. I can't wait until I have lots of silvers mixed in to brighten up my henna-red a little bit. :)

Luna Lavender
September 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm 19, haven't noticed any yet. I never really looked for them either, so maybe I have some I don't know about.

However, my dad is 50 and doesn't have any. I have his hair color, so maybe it will take a while before the greys show up for me as well. :D

Dragon
September 13th, 2010, 02:38 AM
My hairdressing teacher found a gray hair when she was colouring my hair when I was 16.

swanns
September 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I started getting them at around 19 I think. I'm 22 and have lots of whites at my temples especially, they're even more visible since I got my bangs :) There's also a lot of hair that's not as dark as it used to be, this kind of washed out red-ish brown tone, I'm wondering if these could be hairs that are losing the pigment? My grandmother was completely white by the time she turned 30, I don't think my going gray will be quite that drastic but I hope I'll keep getting more .

tweegirl
September 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Must have been about 19 when I started noticing white hair here and there but nothing major. The hair around my crown eventually grew in completely white by the time I was about 30 years old or so. Now I dye it with henna.

alittle722
September 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
im 22 and have plenty in my bangs.

gaultheria
September 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
I found the first one when I was around 15, and had enough for friends to start joking about it by the time I was 23. Now at 28 I'm letting my previously hennaed hair grow out and the whites are quite noticeable and abundant. I think they look rather pretty, but I still feel uncomfortable with the idea of people immediately assuming I'm much older than I actually am.

Centaur
September 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
I started getting silver hairs here and there at around 31 years of age. Thankfully, my hair graying is increasing slowly, and the hairs that are graying are sparkly silver (not gray in color), just like my dad's graying.

I guess, technically, I am a renegray. I do have some silver hairs here and there throughout, especially in the front, but I do not dye my hair or try to cover up the gray in anyway shape or form. My hair is completely virgin hair. If you take your hand and sift through my hair, you can see the silver hairs.

As more of my hairs come in silver, I may make the decision to use henndigo, but I'll see how it goes. I am happy with it right now as it is.

NotLostYet
September 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
around 26. I was pregnant with my first and my hair grew in colorless for the first trimester before going back to normal.

Now, 2 1/2 years later I do see a few grays, but they all seem to be short regrowth rather than through my hair.

I have two white streaks behind my right ear from when I was about 17 and another patch on the back of my head from the pregnancy, but I don't consider those the same as gray hairs because they don't seem to have the same texture as my other grays - just no pigment.

mali
September 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I didn't find any white hairs yet.My grandmother is 73 and she barely has grey hair and my mom is almost 45 and never found grey hairs.I shall consider my self lucky,eh?;)

renarok
September 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
I found my first white hair when I was 29. I didn't find another again until I was about 42, I have significantly more now, but still not many considering my advanced age. I color my hair because my hair is drab.....and I am not.

frodolaughs
September 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
16, I think. I didn't start noticing any increase until this past year.

Alex Lou
September 22nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
I noticed a couple when I was 16. I still only have a couple. For all I know I was born with them.

StarryNight
September 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
I was 13. I don't recall if it was white or gray-ish, and I know I have more now, although I don't think they are really noticeable unless one is looking for them. I quit dying ages ago because I am excited for more white/grays!

andwife
September 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
I think I was about 34 but I didn't really think about it until a co-worker plucked one out when we were sitting in a meeting. They really bugged her apparently and she wanted me to dye my hair and pushed for it constantly. I had "been there done that" and had no interest in covering them up. To each his own :)

going gray
September 22nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Exactly when I turned 40. Yikes, 23 years ago!

NotLostYet
September 23rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
oh, I forgot to mention - my great-grandmother's hair, according to family legend, turned full-on white when she was 19 and she dyed it flame-red until a few weeks before her death.

I always secretly hoped as a teenager that I would get the same. I was sooo disappointed when it became obvious that my hair was turning darker as I got older :D. I wanted to be a white-haired superhero/action figure and have fought the urge even now as an adult to bleach my hair into white-ness. Sigh. Grass is always greener (or whiter!) on the other side and all that :D

Intransigentia
September 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
The date I found my first grey hair was May 4, 2003. It was just as long as all my other hairs, but I hadn't noticed it until that day. I remember the date because it was the implementation date for a program I'd been working flat-out on for several months and those months were madness. No! They! Were! SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I guess I would have been 26?

Now I have maybe 20 grey hairs. I wish they'd hurry up because ever since I was little and visited an elder lady at a farm who had a sparkling white crown braid, that's what I've wanted. It's not likely though. My mom is in her 60s and maybe 10&#37; grey.

swivelhop
September 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Reply in wrong thread. Can a mod delete this?

Jezerellica
September 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hmmm. Right before my divorce, 39! It really is true that stress will increase silvers as my Mom has VERY little. It is amazing. She turned 69 today!

Immera
September 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Noticed my first ones on my 30th birthday. They were pretty long so I guess they were there for a while.
My hair is so fine they aren't really noticeable yet.

mirth-matter
September 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
I found my first one this August, the day before I hennaed my hair. I'm 21. I found another one this morning and taped it to a post it note to show my parents when they get back from their holiday.

Lixie
September 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
I discovered my first (and only so far) white hair a few weeks shy of 21. I was thrilled! Unfortunately I had to pluck it out to allow further inspection; about 1/3 was pure white and the rest my normal colour. Future white hairs will be staying on my head. :D

DAK-S81
September 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
My father was a towhead that never grew out of it. His hair was white white my whole life. My natural hair color is dark blonde, but I've always had strands that come in white like his. I started dying my hair when people kept thinking that they were grays. So, I may very well have grays but have no way to know!