PDA

View Full Version : Poo Bars giving me flakes?

Sad Sally
August 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM
So about a year ago I switched from using commercial Loreal shampoo and conditioner (which I loved) to using CVS nettle poo bar and Aubry's conditioner. At first I loved it and noticed a reduction in shedding. I shed like crazy. But it's been a year now and I'm back to the horrible shedding and now I have some flakes. I've had the flakes for about 6 months. They aren't too bad. Any hoo, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about what I could do to prevent the flakes and perhaps stop all this awful shedding. I also started hennaing my hair about 6 months ago and I think that's when the flakes started.

christine1989
August 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
The most likely culprit for your shedding and flakes is dryness- the poo bars are probobly drying your scalp which could cause both. You could try CO washing to help retain moisture in your scalp. i also find that it reduces my shedding quite a bit. Oiling in small amounts could also help reduce flaking but probobly wont do much for shedding.

Djinmonet
August 25th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I don't have any personal knowledge about henna, but I would think the first step might be clarifying (baking soda, whatever clarifying liquid shampoos are good for you, etc), if you haven't already done this? Unfortunately that is my only theory.

My hair doesn't personally get along with the nettle bar, oddly, because it does love the herb bar and they are so simillar. The nettle bar dries my scalp and hair out too much. I've been using these CV bars for a while now, and they are what stopped my scalp troubles, and they have not returned, but I do use baking soda. I know build up of practically anything in your hair can cause both shedding and flakes, how henna fits into that picture I'm not sure. All I'm sure of is it's very unlikely you should use baking soda as often as I need to, unless you have the worst water. lol

Good luck, hope someone who has experienced this will have more information.

Edit: Yes, agree with christine1989, could also be a moisture problem, if you have no actual build-up. Maybe a clarify, and SMT? Or similar...

girlcat36
August 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I love poo bars.....for about 2 weeks...then the flaking begins.
Had to give up after about 4 tries. I always get flakes when using poo bars, but never with any other shampoo or condish.

Sad Sally
August 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
When you CO do you wash your hair as often as you do with shampoo? Can I still use my Aubry's conditioner? I ordered some of Nightshades triple moon hair oil. I'm still waiting for it. I'm very excited about using it. I guess I'm gonna try going off poo.

christine1989
August 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Going off poo will probobly reduce flaking and dryness. I CO wash daily and only shampoo every 3-4 days. It gets my hair clean enough without drying it out and you will see benefits no matter what conditioner you choose to use.