PDA

View Full Version : Bay Rum for hair growth

BunnyBee
August 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone has heard of using 'Bay Rum' scalp tonic for faster hair growth? Wikipedia says it is made from bay leaves (West Indian Bay), rosemary and.. rum!

Anyone know anything about this? If it works? :eek:

BattahZ
August 20th, 2010, 06:54 AM
From the subject line I thought you were talking about ACTUAL rum that helps with growth, and I got all excited :)

dropinthebucket
August 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
"But why is the rum gone?" - Jack Sparrow ;)
So that's the secret to his long dreads!

Purdy Bear
August 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM
In my research Bay, the herb is noted to be good for hair growth! I'll keep an eye on this.

MandyBeth
August 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Helps with shine and smells wonderful. But that's all I know.

ChloeDharma
August 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I was talking to a gypsy girl i know a while ago about hair and she said bay rum is popular with her family for hair growth. I've never seen it but she said most chemists carry it.

Qwackie
August 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
"But why is the rum gone?" - Jack Sparrow ;)
So that's the secret to his long dreads!

Ha ha. I was thinking that.

I'm gonna have to try that....

jera
August 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't the alcohol content be drying for your scalp though?

ChloeDharma
August 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Wouldn't the alcohol content be drying for your scalp though?

That's my concern too. I've been trying to think of an alcohol free way to make tonics so i can avoid the drying alcohol issue.
Maybe it's not too bad though if it's kept to just the scalp?

Roseate
August 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Yum, love bay rum, smells lovely! My scalp is naturally quite dry, though, so I'd be worried about the alcohol too. Might work better for those with oilier scalps.

Coriander
August 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking that if you drink enough rum you won't care how fast your hair is growing...

Plus you wouldn't be able to measure it anyways. :lol:

brunette
August 21st, 2010, 03:46 AM
This takes me back! My late MIL used to tell me how wonderful Bay Rum was for healthy, shiny hair but I always considered it to be an old wives tale on account of the alcohol!
Hmm - maybe Bay is worth exploring further!

ChloeDharma
August 21st, 2010, 04:14 AM
This takes me back! My late MIL used to tell me how wonderful Bay Rum was for healthy, shiny hair but I always considered it to be an old wives tale on account of the alcohol!
Hmm - maybe Bay is worth exploring further!

The essential oil is used in hair growth formulas in aromatherapy so it does make sense. Alcohol i find is also common in older growth tonic recipes, though mostly they seemed targeted at men so i figured the drying effect wouldn't be so important if the hair is kept shorter.

I would like to find an alternative to alcohol for tonics though.....i'm thinking vinegar maybe xx

CrisDee
August 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Anybody find this stuff in the US? I'd rather buy it from a store as opposed to online, shipping charges are getting outrageous...

In2wishin
August 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Anybody find this stuff in the US? I'd rather buy it from a store as opposed to online, shipping charges are getting outrageous...

Don't know how good it is but I found this at Walgreens http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Antiseptics/Bay-Rum/ID=prod2872326-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2871160

CrisDee
August 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Don't know how good it is but I found this at Walgreens http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Antiseptics/Bay-Rum/ID=prod2872326-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2871160

Ooh, thanks! Tried CVS, but didn't think of Walgreens :doh:

ChloeDharma
August 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM

So, looking at the ingredients it seems to just be bay essential oil in alcohol. I presume then if you want a non drying version simply adding bay essential to an oil for scalp massage would be as good.

brunette
August 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimenta_racemosa
The West Indian Bay (or Bay Rum tree!) is the one traditionally used, Pimenta racemosa.
It's not related to the bay laurel (Laurus nobilis), source of the bay leaf used in cooking, but apparently they smell similarly. I wonder if the oils share properties?

It would actually be tempting to put a tiny bit of Bay Oil in a small bottle of actual dark rum :D I'm sure an alcohol of about 40% vol would be safer on the scalp than pure ethanol! Mind you I'd end up smelling like a brewery!

Even better is ChloeDharma's suggestion of using oil as a base then using a small drop as a tonic for the scalp each night/day.

clairenewcastle
September 29th, 2010, 05:36 AM
My husband used bay rum for years, swearing that it helped his dry scalp.
I'd always my doubts about it though due to the high alcohol content, so when it became impossible to buy bay rum where we lived I was glad for although I felt it did help his scalp, it seemed to be very drying on his actual hair.
In the past I've used infusions of bay leaves as a leave-in conditioner and found that they were very softening for my hair.

cmfuller23
October 2nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
The essential oil is used in hair growth formulas in aromatherapy so it does make sense. Alcohol i find is also common in older growth tonic recipes, though mostly they seemed targeted at men so i figured the drying effect wouldn't be so important if the hair is kept shorter.

I would like to find an alternative to alcohol for tonics though.....i'm thinking vinegar maybe xx
But then Jack would have to say, "but why is all the vinegar gone?". I'm sure you can see how that wouldn't do. I really just joined so I could write that 😊. However, in following the wisdom of these posts here, it seems reasonable that one could got to the kitchen cupboard, take out some bay leaves, rosemary and apple cider vinegar, mix them together, wait some days, strain and -Walla- non-alcoholic Bay Rum (for the hair in recovery). I wouldn't count on it to grow hair though. At least it will not dry out/damage the hair as alcohol surely would. If I let my hair drink, I'd only give it beer. Hobs, yummy! Got pizza?

Kaya
October 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Huh, interesting. When I saw the thread title, all I could think about were my Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I think both Charles Ingalls and Almanzo Wilder would comb bay rum into their hair for special occasions. I figured it was mainly for the nice smell, but perhaps it provided more benefits! :)

Naiadryade
October 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM
But then Jack would have to say, "but why is all the vinegar gone?". I'm sure you can see how that wouldn't do. I really just joined so I could write that 😊. However, in following the wisdom of these posts here, it seems reasonable that one could got to the kitchen cupboard, take out some bay leaves, rosemary and apple cider vinegar, mix them together, wait some days, strain and -Walla- non-alcoholic Bay Rum (for the hair in recovery). I wouldn't count on it to grow hair though. At least it will not dry out/damage the hair as alcohol surely would. If I let my hair drink, I'd only give it beer. Hobs, yummy! Got pizza?

:rollin: I hope you stick around!

massivecnqstdr
October 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I'm going to see if my local Walgreens carries this stuff!

TiaKitty
October 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I can provide y'all with a recipe, if you'd like... I have several herbal body/hair care books that have recipes for this. Made some for Cuddles to use as aftershave, and he quite likes it.