View Full Version : Onion juice for hair growth

McFearless
August 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Many people claim rubbing onions on their scalp promotes growth. I guess it makes sense because onions have a high sulfur content..but imagine how irritated your eyes would be!

Has anyone tried this? Im tempted:p

julliams
August 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think I could handle the smell of raw onion on my hair. Also it does awful things to my eyes.

Juneii
August 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think DBF would let me near him if I did >___< curious to see if anyone tried. But that means you need to do this fairly often. I don't know how I feel to be called "the Onion Lady"

lhangel9
August 11th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I'm not that brave:rolleyes:

McFearless
August 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't think DBF would let me near him if I did >___< curious to see if anyone tried. But that means you need to do this fairly often. I don't know how I feel to be called "the Onion Lady"

Haha yeah, you wouldnt be able to leave the house.

RachelRain
August 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'd be interested to see if this works, but lately onions burn my eyes like never before so I don't think I'd personally try it.

Coriander
August 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'm extremely sensitive to onions, so I can't imagine :lol:

Lavina
August 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I use Onion juice for a growing hair mask.It`s smells terrible but working great.

RachelRain
August 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I use Onion juice for a growing hair mask.It`s smells terrible but working great.

Really? My boyfriend's trying to grow his hair out (he made me shave his head and is now regretting it, he's at that weird little ducktail stage and *hates* it.) Can I ask what goes in your hair mask so I can see if he wants to try it?

McFearless
August 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Really? My boyfriend's trying to grow his hair out (he made me shave his head and is now regretting it, he's at that weird little ducktail stage and *hates* it.) Can I ask what goes in your hair mask so I can see if he wants to try it?

I know you weren't asking me..but I've heard it works with garlic.

RachelRain
August 12th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I know you weren't asking me..but I've heard it works with garlic.

Hey, if I can get him to zip his lip about it, I'm open to ideas from anyone. He sleeps all day, so as long as it dries somewhat or can be wrapped up somehow I'm sure it won't bother him too much. :)

McFearless
August 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Hey, if I can get him to zip his lip about it, I'm open to ideas from anyone. He sleeps all day, so as long as it dries somewhat or can be wrapped up somehow I'm sure it won't bother him too much. :)

Ah well let us know how it goes if he agrees :)

Idun
August 12th, 2010, 12:30 AM
You know there are essential oils of both onion and garlic. When I first saw them I couldnīt fathom what they would be used for! I was thinking some people might use them in a magical ritual to ward off dark powers or something. :rollin:If I was going to put onions on my head, which Iīm not, I think I would prefer the oil rather than the actual vegetable.

Rebelkat
August 12th, 2010, 12:59 AM
You know there are essential oils of both onion and garlic. When I first saw them I couldnīt fathom what they would be used for! I was thinking some people might use them in a magical ritual to ward off dark powers or something. :rollin:If I was going to put onions on my head, which Iīm not, I think I would prefer the oil rather than the actual vegetable.
That might actually work. I agree with you, though. I'm not so sure I'd want to put onions on my head, either. :p

Hotrox
August 12th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I wasn't sure if this thread was going to be about rubbing onion on our heads or drinking onion juice.....

Neither sounds very appealing :p

RachelRain
August 12th, 2010, 01:37 AM
You know there are essential oils of both onion and garlic. When I first saw them I couldn&#180;t fathom what they would be used for! I was thinking some people might use them in a magical ritual to ward off dark powers or something. :rollin:If I was going to put onions on my head, which I&#180;m not, I think I would prefer the oil rather than the actual vegetable.

I agree somewhat - but at the same time I'm reminded of my grandmother's solution for getting rid of warts - chop a potato and take a piece and rub the wart with it. over the course of a few weeks if you do this daily, the wart will go away. She used to do this all the time for one of my cousins, who somehow was plagued with warts on her knees and elbows. Nothing prescription or OTC worked, but the potato thing did.

So I guess having seen that firsthand, it probably wouldn't surprise me much if the actual onions on the scalp worked better. Although I can't imagine how bad your hair would stink. That smell is hard enough to get off your hands, I can't imagine hair.

christine1989
August 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I chopped onions last week and the smell lasted on my hands for 3 days despite frequent and vigorous wasing. I would be afraid that my hair would smell horrible for weeks.

RachelRain
August 12th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I chopped onions last week and the smell lasted on my hands for 3 days despite frequent and vigorous wasing. I would be afraid that my hair would smell horrible for weeks.

Also what I'm afraid of. Although lemon juice and/or vinegar might help get the stink out.

Phexlyn
August 12th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Okay, I could agree with the garlic (I love garlic, never mind the people around me :p), but onions? My poor eyes, especially as I have contact lenses. How are you supposed to do this? Rub the onions on your scalp? Massage the juice in?

EvaSimone
August 12th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I would really recommend NOT using the onions. I remember a thread from a year or two ago where someone used onions for hair growth (they either rubbed raw onion on their head or did an onion mask I can't remember) and they couldn't get rid of the smell. I mean months on and they still couldn't seem to get the smell out.

After reading that thread you couldn't pay me to rub onion on my scalp.

I am going to go see if I can find that old thread with some googlefu.

Othala
August 12th, 2010, 02:34 AM
This sounds like an effective contraceptive, LOL. No way am I putting onion on my scalp. Or pineapple juice, whale sperm or human urine. Sheesh...you folks.

RachelRain
August 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I still think vinegar would work. I mean, if it can take the skunk smell off a dog, it would have to take the onion smell out of people's hair, right? Skunk is pretty rank.

RachelRain
August 12th, 2010, 02:41 AM
This sounds like an effective contraceptive, LOL. No way am I putting onion on my scalp. Or pineapple juice, whale sperm or human urine. Sheesh...you folks.

Pineapple juice is waaay too delicious to use on hair. Beer, however, I would do, if I didn't have firsthand experience on how tacky it makes my hair... although that night did teach me not to fall asleep near drunk people and their half empty cans of beer. lol.

EvaSimone
August 12th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Here's the thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66994). I had to go all the way back to the archived boards.

serious
August 12th, 2010, 02:50 AM
When I was a young girl I was extremely frustrated with my thin hair so I used to experiment with all kinds of hair treatments, and I got this old recipe:

Mix onion skins and cloves in grape pomace rakia
let the mixture sit for two weeks
Apply on the scalp every day ( don't wash out !!!) for 10 days and then wash your hair

Cloves were added in the mix to cover the onion smell, but it was AUFUL!!!

I only did this three days in a row and never tried it again, the smell was so horrible!

Heidi_234
August 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM
There IS a recipe I tried with onion skin. You gather as much onion skins as you can, boil them for some time (it was long time ago, I can remember the exact time), and then rinse your scalp with the water. It has no smell at all, and the only thing that might be problematic is that the darker (or purple? I seriously can't remember!) skins yield weird yellowish tones. Sadly It was a hassle to get so much onion skins and boil them every time I washed my hair, so I didn't do it long enough to notice great growth of any kind.

julliams
August 12th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Sometimes I wonder if some of those stinky old time recipes are a bit of a tongue in cheek joke, like sending the apprentice to the store for a left handed screwdriver.

RachelRain
August 12th, 2010, 03:36 AM
There IS a recipe I tried with onion skin. You gather as much onion skins as you can, boil them for some time (it was long time ago, I can remember the exact time), and then rinse your scalp with the water. It has no smell at all, and the only thing that might be problematic is that the darker (or purple? I seriously can't remember!) skins yield weird yellowish tones. Sadly It was a hassle to get so much onion skins and boil them every time I washed my hair, so I didn't do it long enough to notice great growth of any kind.

now that we could do. I easily run through a ten pound bag of onions weekly, and I've been known to double that if I have my way. I'll hafta look that up, thanks!

serious
August 12th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Some people use this recipe to color Easter eggs, onion skins give very nice yellow/brown color! And I remember my friend from high school washed her hair with this onion water once, she got nice golden tone on her brown hair :) ( of course, it was not permanent!)

Heidi_234
August 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Some people use this recipe to color Easter eggs, onion skins give very nice yellow/brown color! And I remember my friend from high school washed her hair with this onion water once, she got nice golden tone on her brown hair :) ( of course, it was not permanent!)
True, it's not permanent, but could definitely show if you have blond hair. :agree:

starlights
August 12th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I havent tried this... i enjoy eating onions... but putting it on my hair? mmmmmmmm im not sure, i've never heard of it

breezefaerie
August 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM
EvaSimone, you posted the exact link I was looking for! :D
After reading that thread, I don't think I would ever resort to this.

little_cherry
August 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hmm...I've thought of infusing olive or coconut oil with onion, rosemary, etc...

Spring
August 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hmm...I've thought of infusing olive or coconut oil with onion, rosemary, etc...

Little Cherry, my thoughts exactly except I'm a chicken.. If you try this please pm just in case I forget and don't check this thread :p

little_cherry
August 12th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Little Cherry, my thoughts exactly except I'm a chicken.. If you try this please pm just in case I forget and don't check this thread :p
Sure, not a problem...if it fails in the hair, the oil would make an amazing steak seasoning.....LOL

3azza
August 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
My friend once suffered from major hair loss due to stress, and nothing could help hair until she tried onion juice.she used it for a couple of months until her hair was back to normal. i just dont know how she frequent she used it or how she coped with the smell but apparantly it worked really well.

Spring
August 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Sure, not a problem...if it fails in the hair, the oil would make an amazing steak seasoning.....LOL

thanks... :laugh:

My friend once suffered from major hair loss due to stress, and nothing could help hair until she tried onion juice.she used it for a couple of months until her hair was back to normal. i just dont know how she frequent she used it or how she coped with the smell but apparantly it worked really well.

This sounds very encouraging :)

McFearless
August 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Glad I read that post about the smell lingering for MONTHS- how crazy. I'm not too starved for growth. I've realised that I cant alter my DNA and I'm okay with .5inches a month.

OK thats not true.. I hate it.. but what can you do. I might experiment with sulfur powder..since that ingredient in onions is what causes growth. I recommend everyone else do the same instead of onions.

Thanks for all the replies!!