PDA

View Full Version : Using honey in your hair - how to do it & what were your results?

rosieex3
July 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
So after stopping by a farmer's market today, I noticed a bottle of honey and automatically remembered that honey is supposed to be great for your hair. So, now I have a few questions (I tried searching the forum..but I didn't find much).

-Do you apply it to wet or dry hair?
-How long do you leave it on for?
-Will co-washing rid the hair of all of the honey?
-Did you see a difference in your hair?

Thank you everyone! :blossom:

HairColoredHair
July 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I mix the honey into conditioner (straight onto your hair will be VERY sticky!) and apply it (I usually do dry hair, don't think it much matters) and let it set (half an hour, maybe more).

Then I wash as usual. :)

Oh, it's also quite useful in mayonnaise, same procedure.

missjessiecakes
July 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The most popular way is in an SMT which you can find with a search. I just slap it on with my conditioner in the shower every day.

LunarAurora
July 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I mix honey and yogourt and apply it as a pre-shampoo deep conditionner.

I also had very good results (great softness and shine) when I added some (about 5 good drops) in my shampoo, or in my rinse ! (water + 1/2 spoon of honey + vinegar as usual) :)

I love this product.

HintOfMint
July 21st, 2010, 12:53 AM
Make sure to heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds (possibly more, someone once said about 50 seconds) to neutralize the enzymes that lighten hair.

Sammich
July 21st, 2010, 03:18 AM
When my hair is wet, I mix honey with my conditioner (My last C in CWC and not inside the bottle! Straight into my hair.) and slosh it through my length, leave it in for a while, whilst doing my other stuff and then rinse out. It rinses out very easily for me! :)
I don't heat my honey. :p I find it a hassle. *Shrug*

PS. I also use honey to wash my face since it's got antibacterial properties. ;)

alabaster
July 21st, 2010, 06:13 AM
you can add it to your conditioner, use it mixed with water in a final rinse, or use it in a deep treatment......

FrannyG
July 21st, 2010, 06:29 AM
As HintOf Mint said, honey can lighten hair, unless you microwave it for 15 to 30 seconds. It depends on how much honey you're using.

Don't use honey on your hair straight; it will not be very helpful, and will be hard to wash out.

I mix one part honey with two or three parts of conditioner and use as a deep treatment. I leave it in for about an hour, and I rinse it out. It has not only conditioned my hair, but has acted as a CO.

I use the mixture on dry hair if I know I have no build-up, or on wet hair after clarifying.

dfotw
July 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
I use it in all my DTs (SMT, yogurt and olive oil, caramel treatment, cassia, etc...) and I use 2/3rds conditioner and 1/3rd honey every time I wash my hair (bonus, it makes the condish last longer! And my flatmates have long stopped being surprised at finding a bottle of honey in the shower... :D) If you apply it straight, it'd be a pain to wash it off, but mixed with conditioner or a DTit rinses very easily... and it definitely does make a difference to my hair, which is smoother, softer and shinier!

(when I DT, I microwave it, mostly because I like my DTs warm, but I use it every day with my conditioner without heating it and I have noticed no lightening of my hair colour. Mind you, it's very dark so it's hard to tell the difference...)

GRU
July 21st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Honey is water soluble, so it will come off with just rinsing (albeit a lot of rinsing!).

Like others here, I use it in various "recipes" in conjunction with other ingredients for deep treatments.

Anisaa
July 21st, 2010, 12:06 PM
I heat olive oil in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds and then add honey. I mix it and leave it as a hair mask for at least 30 minutes sometimes up to 4 hours.. I wash it off and style as usual..I hope it helps

slythwolf
July 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM
I put honey in my henna, about 2 tbsp per 100g.

white line
July 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM
I like the idea of trying honey in my regular conditioner. For those that leave a bottle in the shower, have you ever tried to heat up the whole bottle so it won't lighten hair? How did you do it?

Sissy
July 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
I've made a lovely deep treatment by mixing shea butter, raw honey, and eo's and such. Like others said, it's very popular to use in SMT's but I prefer molasses as it may help darken tresses!

HairColoredHair
July 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM
I like the idea of trying honey in my regular conditioner. For those that leave a bottle in the shower, have you ever tried to heat up the whole bottle so it won't lighten hair? How did you do it?

If you heat the honey before adding it to the bottle that ought to do it, no?

GRU
July 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM
If you heat the honey before adding it to the bottle that ought to do it, no?

That's what I'd do... heat up a cup (or however much you want to add) of honey on its own, let it cool, then add it to the conditioner and mix it in.

ktani
July 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
The best reported time to microwave honey to destroy the enzyme that generates peroxide is 30 seconds to under 1 munute.

SapphiraSilver
July 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
I tried my first honey treatment today. I just added about 2 teaspoons into a simple conditioner with no cones and mixed it well together (didn't heat it, and I used a lot of conditioner). Then I used a spray bottle to spray plain water on my hair to make it wet rather then wetting the hair in the shower. Spray it well, but not to a point there it drips with water, then I added the mixture on my hair which lathered and creamed up really well on my hair. I wrapped a towel around it and waited for about 25 min.

Then in the shower I rinsed it all off, and it was squeaky clean and I didn't even need to use any shampoo to get it out. I have really dry/damaged hair so then I put some conditioner onto my ends just lightly, just for a couple of min and rinsed that out.

After the usual blow dry I am really happy with the results, less frizzy, softer, and stays in the style that you want, I love it. It is softer and shiner too. The ends are bouncy and conditioned, I have really thin hair and flat, and it didn't weigh it down. So I would definitely give it a go!