PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY found a cure for my post-wash poof!

Dreams_in_Pink
July 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
This is BIG NEWS! :D

After years of being called "the broom-haired" and a big chop from waist to pob, i found a wash-dry routine that actually leaves my hair frizz and poof-free! It goes like this:

-shampoo hair as usual. (my roots get awful if not shampooed)
-When done, get the most of water out by squeezing hair with a towel.
-Then, after i squeeze the water, apply a handful of conditioner OR,
- When length of hair's %50 dry, apply some oil from ears down.
- Blow dry? Of course. I place the wide round nozzle thing (dunno what it's called) on the dryer, turn both satin protect and ions on (they probably don't help but i turn them on anyways :D) set the temp to medium heat and low speed. I place the nozzle on my head only (leave the ends dry by themselves) and let it sit for like 5 seconds and then place it on another part on my head. Since hair doesn't blow in the wind randomly, it dries into a smoother look.
- After ends are conditioned/oiled and roots are dry, i braid my hair (rope braid, to make more natural waves) and leave it like that for a few hours. When i take it down it's still kinda damp but that's not a problem, there will be some waves that were set.

What i know now is:
- Curly-girl care doesn't work for me, because my hair doesn't dry into individual ringlets. Only half of it forms curl and the rest is frizz. So there needs to me a "setting" (in this case, rope braiding)
- When i oil from ears down, i SHOULDN'T comb from roots to ends. I should only comb from ears down. If i comb my roots with same comb i used on oily ends, roots get oily right after!!! :justy:

Here's a proof that this routine is working:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=71983
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=77250

You can tell which is before and which one's after :D

By the way, i still haven't found a cure for dandruff...If i cure that too, i will be forever satisfied with my hair!

1nuitblanche
July 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Nice! Your new routine certainly is working! I don't have as much wave as you do, but I know that oil or conditioner are great for killing my frizz too.

ButterCream
July 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
HUGE differense!! Congrats!:):):):)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you both!! :D

spidermom
July 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Lovely result; carry on.

Lemur_Catta
July 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
It's lovely! I didn't understand if you rinse the conditioner or leave it in your hair, though.

jera
July 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Wow ! What a difference. Your hair looks so much shinier and smoother. It actually looks a bit longer too. Congrats for finding a solution. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
thanks spidermom and jena! :)

Lemur_catta, i definitely leave it! After i squeeze all the water in my hair i massage the length with plenty of conditioner and then squeeze my hair again to remove the excess

Idun
July 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Wow, what a great difference between the two photos! Your hair is really gorgeous and shiny now! Congratulations on finding a routine that works so well!

rchorr
July 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
WOW! That's AWESOME!!! The "before" picture wasn't bad (not NEARLY as bad as I was imagining! LOL! :silly:), but the "after" is WONDERFUL!

Congrats!

RCHORR'

Domino
July 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
What a nice discovery, I loved the after photo :) May I ask what the cause of your dandruff is, do you know if it is dryness, bacteria or whatelse? I'm pretty sure you can get rid of it somehow.

ETA: Also I wanted to ask whether you did a regular rope braid or a french one? TIA!

canary4624
July 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Very nice! Do you mind if I ask what kind of conditioner it is? I think I'll try to replicate your result :)

HintOfMint
July 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Wonderful! It's so satisfying to find a great routine.

Capybara
July 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Looks lovely!

MissCoco
July 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Wow, fantastic result!! :D :D

As for the dandruff, make sure you rinse your scalp thoroughly and try a cold rinse, ACV rinse, etc. Good luck!

GRU
July 18th, 2010, 05:51 PM
What a dramatic difference!! WOW! BEAUTIFUL!!!

And I second trying ACV rinses.... doesn't work for everyone, but many people get good results with their scalp issues from using ACV.

sugarpixie10988
July 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Wow, what an amazing difference! Congrats on finding something that works so well for you. :cheese:

triumphator!
July 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
So jealous of your results! Now I am inspired to find my routine. My hair gets "bushy" in the back as a result of air drying because the hairs on the bottom curl and the hairs on the top are straight, so they lay funny. Thanks for inspiring us! :)

TrudieCat
July 18th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Wow, what an amazing difference! Yay for finding a routine that works for you!!

Dreams_in_Pink
July 18th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone!

What a nice discovery, I loved the after photo :) May I ask what the cause of your dandruff is, do you know if it is dryness, bacteria or whatelse? I'm pretty sure you can get rid of it somehow.

ETA: Also I wanted to ask whether you did a regular rope braid or a french one? TIA!

It's quite severe so it cannot be dryness. It's probably fungal infection. There's a medicated shampoo that cures it, but i don't want to use it too often because it's too drying. I'm trying to find a more natural cure.

Oh and rope braid or french rope braid are all fine. The idea is to keep hair contained while it dries so it won't poof and frizz.

Very nice! Do you mind if I ask what kind of conditioner it is? I think I'll try to replicate your result :)

It's Down under naturals fruit kicks moisturizing conditioner. I have to use it because it's the only cone-free conditioner here.

As for the dandruff, make sure you rinse your scalp thoroughly and try a cold rinse, ACV rinse, etc. Good luck!

What a dramatic difference!! WOW! BEAUTIFUL!!!

And I second trying ACV rinses.... doesn't work for everyone, but many people get good results with their scalp issues from using ACV.

I tried ACV once but didn't work, i'll try it again...How frequently should i apply it? Once a week or every day?

GRU
July 19th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I tried ACV once but didn't work, i'll try it again...How frequently should i apply it? Once a week or every day?

Dandruff is typically a fungal issue.... and fungus doesn't like living in an acidic environment....

I rinse with it daily (or at least every other day... not a morning person, so I tend to oversleep and have to take shortcuts sometimes!)... a splash of ACV in the bottom of a huge plastic cup (30+ ounces) and then fill up the cup with shower water and pour it over my head. (I keep an old water bottle filled with ACV in my shower, and I store the big cup upside down on top of the bottle, so it's very convenient.) Between CO-washing and ACV rinses, my scalp has never been happier after two decades of temper tantrums.

I'd try daily for a couple weeks, to see if it's really working (need to give it a fair chance)... if you get it under control, a couple times a week should keep it in check.

freckles
July 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
lovely result :) congrats :)

RachelRain
July 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I was picturing much worse poof than your picture shows but the result is amazing :) glad you managed to find a way to fix it!

OperaTeacherMom
July 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
For the dandruff, have you tried Tea Tree Oil? Since you think it's fungal, I bet adding a bit of TTO to your ACV rinses would knock it out even faster. I could be wrong, someone correct me if these two things shouldn't be mixed :)

Newniepg
July 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I am glad you are finding a routine that is working for you. :) The results speak for themselves I think.

Keep on doin' it! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks again!

Dandruff is typically a fungal issue.... and fungus doesn't like living in an acidic environment.....

In that case, I wonder if other acidic stuff would replace ACV? (smell is an issue ;) ) Like, diluted lemon juice for example?

For the dandruff, have you tried Tea Tree Oil?

I have a bottle of TTO but i cannot use it because my mom HATES the smell and says it's not a natural oil but pesticide! :crazyq:

GRU
July 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
In that case, I wonder if other acidic stuff would replace ACV? (smell is an issue ;) ) Like, diluted lemon juice for example?

Absolutely!

You can even buy powdered citric acid and mix that in water.

Or use White Vinegar instead of ACV.

The whole idea is to return the scalp to its normal, slightly acidic pH level -- how you get there is entirely up to you!

simplysnuggle
July 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
My best poof control is doing an overnight coconut oil soak the night before I wash. Then after washed/conditioned I squeeze most of the water out I can and then bun it. I have very thick hair and it takes a while to air dry when up but I almost never have any poof! The tightness of the bun and it being up away from the humidity really helps. Oh and I usually will apply a little bit of coconut oil to any baby hairs or fly aways that dare to defy me. :eyebrows:

Hana
July 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The After shot is mega-shiny, it looks like such a big difference! I bet you're chuffed.