PDA

View Full Version : Warning For Chemical Dye Users

Dolly
July 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
OK, I am posting here to give everybody a big warning.

Yes, I know chemical dye is a "bad guy" here, but I have been using chem color for years and don't intend to stop anytime soon. Coloring is about the only bad thing that I do to my hair.....it is otherwise babied.....

The story: over the years, I have used just about every brand out there, some with less than stellar results. L'oreal varieties have always been the ones that caused the most damage. I started using Clairol Hydrience, and it caused a little dryness right after coloring, but doing a heavy coconut oiling prior to the dye solved that issue. So, I planned to stick with it.

Well, Hydrience is being phased out of the Clairol line. You can only get it online and my shade of choice is increasingly hard to find. I chatted online with one of the Clairol reps, and she said that they are probably going to discontinue that particular shade.

So, a little over 6 months ago (right before Christmas), I was needing a dye job and a friend of mine went on and on about how L'oreal Preference had changed their formula and that it was fantastic now and I needed to try it. BIG MISTAKE. I did a heavy overnight pre-oiling (just like I ALWAYS do) and used the Preference. Oh my goodness. Let's just say that since then I have had to have my long layers (which I loved BTW) cut shorter than I wanted, and have had to cut off about 5-6 inches of length in total). It caused horrendous damage, even with the coconut oil.

I currently have my hair in "rehab".....Oilings, biotin, and gentle handling.....I have also been mixing my own color from the Clairol Pro Line (you have to love Sally's), and it is slowly getting better. I am doing a permanent color about once every 12-16 weeks, with a matching demi shade in between to hide the grays.....

I am writing this just as a caution....I am not downing chemical dye.....I love it for the ease of use and predictability of color.....HOWEVER, L'oreal Preference is WAY TOO harsh for thin, fine hair.....don't even go there! I learned my lesson!

OK, end of Public Service Announcement!

amaiaisabella
July 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM
The Ion line from Sally's is also quite nice. I use their demi permanent :) My mom, on the other hand, uses Preference in black and has for five or so years, so maybe it was that shade or the way it reacted to your hair. Her hair is also fine and thin, so a true case of YMMV!

Dolly
July 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
The Ion line from Sally's is also quite nice. I use their demi permanent :) My mom, on the other hand, uses Preference in black and has for five or so years, so maybe it was that shade or the way it reacted to your hair. Her hair is also fine and thin, so a true case of YMMV!

I hope she continues to get good results!

I was tempted to try the Ion line, and might give that a shot next! I am a Sally addict.....LOL.....one of my favorite places to shop!

amaiaisabella
July 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah, the Sally's girls know me when I go in now. On the plus side, they know what to recommend for my hair now! I've gotten some great things there.

virgo75
July 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

When I used box dyes(I henna now, but I'm considering returning to dye) L'Oreal was sooooo drying. It was a nightmare. :( I also hated Feria.

Clairol Natural Instincts is a semi-permanent that is actually pretty conditioning, and super cheapie Revlon Colorsilk is surprisingly gentle for a permanent dye that is so cheap.

I'm sorry you had to lose some inches.
But your hair is lovely, I'm sure it will be back in no time. :flower:

Loviatar
July 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I have good results these days with Goldwell from Sally's.

I tried Preference in the past and it left me with very dry hair. I did used to enjoy Hydrience though.

Sorry this has happened Dolly.

Dolly
July 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you all for the empathy.....I knew that the peeps here would "feel my pain", so to speak. Feria IS a bad one....I had horrid results with it years ago when I first started coloring.....

Yes, the good thing is that it is growing fast since I have been taking biotin.....even though I am going through one of my seasonal sheds, it is getting better!

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I've dyed from a box a few times, and my hair never seems to dry out, because I would leave the conditioner that came with it on for multiple hours. Maybe that will help someone?

Medievalmaniac
July 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM
The Perfect 10 line is great - ten minutes to color, get that stuff OFF, then condition away and leave it alone. I recommend it.

Dolly
July 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've dyed from a box a few times, and my hair never seems to dry out, because I would leave the conditioner that came with it on for multiple hours. Maybe that will help someone?

Coconut Oil prior to coloring helps as well.....but not with Preference.....

VanillaTresses
July 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I agree that the Preference is particularly harsh. For chemical dyes I like the L'Oreal Excellence or the Garnier Nutrisse a lot better.

L'Oreal Preference and Clairol Nice n' Easy were the WORST chemical dyes that I ever tried-- but the Nice n' Easy takes the cake-- I actually had to rinse out after five minutes (this was a quite a while ago) because it was burning my scalp so bad.

TiltedHal0
July 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I am sorry you had that happen...I use L'Oreal Preference Mega Browns in the Cinnamon color and I haven't had an issue, I've used it for a few years now on my hair. Did you color all over when you changed or just on the new growth?

Synthemesc
July 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I've been using Schwarzkopf box dyes for almost a year now, but it has always faded pretty fast (bright red, go figure). I have one more box of it to use then I'm going to get some Goldwell, only heard good things about it's staying power.

Dolly
July 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I am sorry you had that happen...I use L'Oreal Preference Mega Browns in the Cinnamon color and I haven't had an issue, I've used it for a few years now on my hair. Did you color all over when you changed or just on the new growth?

I did the new growth for the first 10 min, then pulled it through to the ends for another 10, like I normally do.....

amaiaisabella
July 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have good results these days with Goldwell from Sally's.

Lovi, I went into Sally's today and the girls had never heard of Goldwell. Is this a regional thing? :confused: I ended up purchasing Ion permanent dye since I like their demi so much, but it fades way too fast (within a week!)

lapushka
July 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I love L'Oréal Preférence. Next to Garnier dyes, I think it's the best boxed dye out there (and it's perfectly all right for my F hair). It's L'Oréal Excellence that for some reason doesn't agree with me. A few years ago, when my hair still got dyed, they didn't have my regular dye, and I tried L'Oréal Excellence. My hair came out in chunks, turned a sooty black (instead of light brown). My scalp got burned (and needed a steroid lotion) and my hair was also chemically cut in places (it just broke off). This is why I ended up going from almost BSL to chin length a few years ago. I had to stay at chin for a while until it was all grown out. This was my first (and hopefully last) horrible experience with dye ever.

dropinthebucket
July 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
L'Oreal Preference destroyed my hair too. The lady at Shopper's Drug Mart said it had the highest concentration of color, so I should use it over my bleached hair for best color permanence. More like the strongest possible developer!! It totally trashed my hair. That's the problem with box dyes - you don't really know what the company has put in there. Better to get your own developer and color gel from Sally's and mix it yourself, so you actually know what vol developer, and that there's nothing else in there but that and the color gel, IMHO. BUT .. my Elumen experiment is almost ready for reporting - i'll be posting pics and such soon! teaser trailer - this is the best product EVER :)

lapushka
July 13th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Preférence is, I think, a boxed dye that covers gray and can lift 2 shades... if I'm not mistaken. So it is pretty harsh if you don't need that much lift.

amaiaisabella
July 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
lapushka (how is that we keep posting in the same threads? I'm not stalking you, I swear :p), the same thing happened to my mom with Excellence. I really like the Preference on her, and if I didn't know any better I'd say she didn't have grey hair. This is the first line where the black doesn't look like shoe polish on her head.

1953Diygal
July 13th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I use the L'oreal Excellence HiColor in either Red Hot or the Highlighting Red on my new growth. I use any ol' black dye I can find on the hair at the nape of my neck (usually whatever the DBF has laying around) and then I use a mixture of Pravana Vivids red, orange, and magenta on the entire length. Interestingly enough, since I've been using chemical dye, my hair has experienced a growth spurt and I'm finally at waist length and my hair has gotten thicker!

1953Diygal
July 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the heads-up about Nice N' Easy and Preference.

I wish I could find a reliable source for NaturTint "Fireland." That was a wonderful bright-red color and was super-gentle. The Whole Paycheck stores in Vegas no longer carry it.

ademtce
July 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
L'oreal is the worst brand out their all of the lines contain metallic salts.
which are huge disaster for you precious locks.

and this all the more reason to use high quality color like Wella Koleston Perfect.

1953Diygal
July 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM

and this all the more reason to use high quality color like Wella Koleston Perfect.

Can you please cite your source? I Googled this and it looks like only their Feria line contains metallic salts.

ktani
July 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I just saw this thread Dolly. I am so sorry to hear this. I too think that metallic salts may be the issue. They could certainly counter the chelating ability of the coconut oil by overwhelming it and they would also contrubute to the amount damaging free radicals being produced as a result of the interaction between the salts and the peroxide in the developer, in addition to the copper and iron found in hair from tap water and any conventional products used.

Do you have or can you get the ingredient list of the colour you used? Or I will find it with the exact name of the shade used.

Dolly
July 14th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I just saw this thread Dolly. I am so sorry to hear this. I too think that metallic salts may be the issue. They could certainly counter the chelating ability of the coconut oil by overwhelming it and they would also contrubute to the amount damaging free radicals being produced as a result of the interaction between the salts and the peroxide in the developer, in addition to the copper and iron found in hair, from tap water and any conventional products used.

Do you have or can you get the ingredient list of the colour you used?

The only way would be to maybe search online.....I'll have a look and see what I can find....it was L'oreal Superior Preference RR04 Intense Dark Red.

One thing I did notice as far as the color is that the Hydrience (in Intense Deep Red) used to lift my natural color enough to provide a vibrant deep red, while the Preference left my dark brown hair almost black with a slight tinge of red when I would go in the sun. Clairol said that Hydrience uses a 20 vol developer.....I'm not sure what volume Loreal uses, but it did not lift my color at all.....

It is truly upsetting.....set my progress back quite a ways.....that is why I haven't taken any recent pics to add to my profile.....

Dolly
July 14th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Thank goodness I have a Sally nearby, because I am very happy with the results I am getting from the Clairol Pro Line, which I can buy and mix myself with a mild developer.....

amaiaisabella
July 14th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Dolly, have you tried the Ion 10 volume developer? I really like it as it doesn't irritate my scalp and doesn't have much a smell at all. I think you could use it with any of the color lines at Sally's.

ktani
July 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Ingredients from L'Oreal

They do not allow the ingredients to be copied nor the link. Type into Google: L'Oreal Superior Preference RR04 ingredients. ETA: The dyes are not listed.

Dolly
July 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Dolly, have you tried the Ion 10 volume developer? I really like it as it doesn't irritate my scalp and doesn't have much a smell at all. I think you could use it with any of the color lines at Sally's.

No, I haven't, but I will keep it in mind, thanks!

I am currently using vol 20 Clairol Pro creme. It is really mild.....and for the demi color that I use in between permanent sessions, I use their demi color prompter.....very mild as well.....I did one session with their 30 vol, to remove the dark dye from the Loreal fiasco, and even it wasn't too harsh.....I just don't need that much lift on a regular basis.....

amaiaisabella
July 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I tried one dye from them, but it was the wrong shade so I can't judge too harshly. It didn't leave my hair feeling any worse, as I remember, but the scent I was not fond of.

I'm looking forward to trying the Ion permanent, but I've read a lot of complaints that it fades quickly, which I'm worried about. I really don't want to be dying my hair so often, but we'll see. I'll do the full developing time with my 10 vol and see how it goes.

Funny how this has turned into a dye rec thread! :)

Dolly
July 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I tried one dye from them, but it was the wrong shade so I can't judge too harshly. It didn't leave my hair feeling any worse, as I remember, but the scent I was not fond of.

I'm looking forward to trying the Ion permanent, but I've read a lot of complaints that it fades quickly, which I'm worried about. I really don't want to be dying my hair so often, but we'll see. I'll do the full developing time with my 10 vol and see how it goes.

Funny how this has turned into a dye rec thread! :)

Yeah, it is kind of funny!

The fade issue is why I am using demi-permanent in between the permanent dye sessions to refresh my red and cover grays that pop out....

Dolly
July 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I did my weekly overnight oiling last night, and after it has dried today, I see and feel that the ends are still in pretty bad condition. I think that it really needs to have another 2-3 inches off in order for it to be somewhat "right", so that I can progress from here. I think I will trim it tomorrow.....

lapushka
July 14th, 2010, 10:54 AM
lapushka (how is that we keep posting in the same threads? I'm not stalking you, I swear :p), (...)

:eyebrows: LOL!

amaiaisabella
July 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
:eyebrows: LOL!

;)

The fade issue is why I am using demi-permanent in between the permanent dye sessions to refresh my red and cover grays that pop out....

Oh, I misunderstood! I thought you were only doing demis and was wondering how long they lasted for you. The Ion demi lasted me only a week, but I was deliberately washing it every day at first since it was too dark- then suddenly it hit the perfect shade. I don't want it to lighten any more, so I then purchased the permanent to hopefully "lock it in" by dying the same shade it is now.

ademtce
July 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM

really thats all you should do, once your lengths have been colored to the desired color, use demis on the length to maintain. and permanent only on the roots.

RancheroTheBee
July 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Can you please cite your source? I Googled this and it looks like only their Feria line contains metallic salts.

:( Oh, boo. That was totally the one I used last time. (It didn't work out too well.)

lundmir
July 14th, 2010, 04:51 PM
The best brand I've ever used is called Fermodyl (latin America, I think there's a brand like that in the UK, seems to be different), for both my colors of choice: black and red. The black hasn't faded one bit, even with tons of other dye brands and some bleach (my hair can take quite a beating and it still is healthy!), and the red gave my virgin black hair quite a lift and didn't fade either.

I've tried Ion, and while it was absolutely non damaging, it faded way too fast. I've had terrible results form all Wella and Garnier dyes I've tried, sadly no lift or color at all on virgin hair.

I've tried both Excellence and Preference for black hair, I've nothing really special to say about those.

Fiferstone
July 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Ah-HA! Mystery solved. I was using L'Oreal Preference and Excellence pretty much interchangeably for about 5 years. It's a wonder I still had hair on my head. I've still got about 6 inches of roughened box-dye damage from the L'Oreal stuff, and I found that both formulations lifted my natural color pretty badly.

This happy henna-head is never going back to box dye.

Dolly
July 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Ah-HA! Mystery solved. I was using L'Oreal Preference and Excellence pretty much interchangeably for about 5 years. It's a wonder I still had hair on my head. I've still got about 6 inches of roughened box-dye damage from the L'Oreal stuff, and I found that both formulations lifted my natural color pretty badly.

This happy henna-head is never going back to box dye.

Wow, it is a wonder you still have hair.....I am cutting off the last of my damage today, which will make a total of about 10 inches I will have lost to L'oreal.....

I'll stick with the stuff that I can get from Sally's and mix myself.....that way, I know what strength developer, etc is going in there! Clairol Pro products are actually pretty good......I went with them because I always had such good results with Hydrience.....spoke with one of the Clairol consultants, who told me how to mix the colors to get very close to my old Hydrience shade......she also told me what strength and type of developer was in the Hydrience box......

amaiaisabella
July 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Dolly, how often do you have to re-dye? I'm trying to wait until my length fades more since I did the demi a week and a half ago. My main concern is that the Ion fades. I like the process of coloring hair but once the semester begins I won't have time and I'd really hate to have bad color.

ktani
July 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Interesting discussion/debate among stylists on metallic salts in hair colour, http://www.behindthechair.com/forum/searchforum.aspx. Just type in the keywords metallic salts.

Nice'N Easy hair colour has since (from the date of the above posts) been reformulated and it is made by P&G not L'Oreal. P&G is incorporating their chemical copper chelator into their hair colours so I doubt if they are still using metallic salts.

The new L'Oreal Superior Preference has a "Patent Pending". They have a few kinks to work out in my opinion.

Dolly
July 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Dolly, how often do you have to re-dye? I'm trying to wait until my length fades more since I did the demi a week and a half ago. My main concern is that the Ion fades. I like the process of coloring hair but once the semester begins I won't have time and I'd really hate to have bad color.

When I was using Hydrience, I was going anywhere from 5-8 wks between sessions.....that stuff WORKED.....and didn't fade as much as most reds.....

What I am doing now is using the Clairol Pro permanent about every 12 wks (trying to stretch it out to 16 this time, but not sure if I can)......about 4-5 wks after the permanent color is when I do the first demi (that is when the grays start popping out), and a demi application will last me a good 2-3 wks.....I scalp wash daily, because I workout daily and sweat A LOT. If you wash less often, it should last longer.....

amaiaisabella
July 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Gotcha! I've been washing every day or every other day, mostly to fade the too-dark demi but also because it's so darn hot here. I'm hopeful it will start cooling down in the next month or so, so I can go back to every 2-3 days like I was before. I'm itching to do the Ion color now, but I think I might try to wait a week or so more so I can have nice color when school starts.

Dolly
July 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Well, a sad day indeed.....I just removed the last of the damage.....about 4 inches, give or take. My hair was just brushing the tops of my hips, and now it is just barely to my waist....shorter than in my avatar.....I would most likely be at classic right now had I not picked up that box of Preference.....oh well, live and learn!

ktani
July 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Well, a sad day indeed.....I just removed the last of the damage.....about 4 inches, give or take. My hair was just brushing the tops of my hips, and now it is just barely to my waist....shorter than in my avatar.....I would most likely be at classic right now had I not picked up that box of Preference.....oh well, live and learn!

You hair is still gorgeous and it will grow fast. It is summer after all. I cannot think of anyone I know including me, who does not have a hair disaster story. From some (I have had a few over the years), it was a from the roots regrow). I think you have rebounded well. I wish you speedy growth.

Rini
July 16th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Dolly!! :( I've been there. I actually use L'Oreal Excellence quite often (for roots when I want to blend some greys when they bother me) and have not had any issues. I know all dye is damaging though. I wonder how different the formulation of Preference is to Excellence? Same company, but maybe different formulations. I wonder if I should try Clairol?

Dolly
July 16th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Dolly!! :( I've been there. I actually use L'Oreal Excellence quite often (for roots when I want to blend some greys when they bother me) and have not had any issues. I know all dye is damaging though. I wonder how different the formulation of Preference is to Excellence? Same company, but maybe different formulations. I wonder if I should try Clairol?

I can't remember ever having major damage from the Clairol products I have used....usually just a little dryness.....but pre-oiling with coconut oil helped to stop all noticeable damage from my coloring sessions.....I would hate to see what would have happened with the Preference if I hadn't oiled! I would probably be bald!!

Hydrience was my fave....you can only get it online now, at places like drugstore.com......BUT, I am enjoying mixing my own from Sally because I can use a mild developer and tweak the shade if I want to....

I would suggest giving some Clairol products a shot.....and pre-oil before you color! It minimizes the damage....

ktani
July 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I can't remember ever having major damage from the Clairol products I have used....usually just a little dryness.....but pre-oiling with coconut oil helped to stop all noticeable damage from my coloring sessions.....I would hate to see what would have happened with the Preference if I hadn't oiled! I would probably be bald!!

Hydrience was my fave....you can only get it online now, at places like drugstore.com......BUT, I am enjoying mixing my own from Sally because I can use a mild developer and tweak the shade if I want to....

I would suggest giving some Clairol products a shot.....and pre-oil before you color! It minimizes the damage....

I did not realize that you had not updated pictures since the disaster. I know how it feels to lose desired and loved length due to damage. I hope that your hair is mostly ok and that your careful treatments have made things better for you in terms of your being able to live comfortably with the hair that is left to grow.

My suspicion is that with the RR04 and possibly other red shades, L'Oreal added colours that contain copper salts. Coconut oil has been reported to lessen/prevent bleach damage and higher volumes of peroxide. This was entirely unexpected and very sad. The metallic salts are the only things that make sense to me about this.

Crazycatlady
July 16th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Coconut Oil prior to coloring helps as well.....but not with Preference.....
Dolly, do you leave the coconut oil in when you apply the color/dye or rinse it out before? I'm thinking of using it before my next highlights.

Dolly
July 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Dolly, do you leave the coconut oil in when you apply the color/dye or rinse it out before? I'm thinking of using it before my next highlights.

I saturate my hair with coconut oil the night before, leave it in overnight, and DO NOT rinse it out before applying the color.....

Dolly
July 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I did not realize that you had not updated pictures since the disaster. I know how it feels to lose desired and loved length due to damage. I hope that your hair is mostly ok and that your careful treatments have made things better for you in terms of your being able to live comfortably with the hair that is left to grow.

My suspicion is that with the RR04 and possibly other red shades, L'Oreal added colours that contain copper salts. Coconut oil has been reported to lessen/prevent bleach damage and higher volumes of peroxide. This was entirely unexpected and very sad. The metallic salts are the only things that make sense to me about this.

I will update some pics after I locate my camera.....it has walked off somewhere.....

It is just barely waist length now.....but the ends feel pretty good.....sad that I had to lose the length, but hopefully it will get better.....

ktani
July 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM

This blog post, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html links to the thread and is easier to follow if you are not familiar with the pre-treatment and has Dolly's previous results with a different permanent dye.

melikai
July 17th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope your hair recovers soon.

I did a google, and although it's a bit inflammatory, this website lists that specific hair dye as being among the most toxic - it actually shows the EXACT shade you used as the example!

http://www.elistmania.com/juice/10_toxic_makeups/

ktani
July 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope your hair recovers soon.

I did a google, and although it's a bit inflammatory, this website lists that specific hair dye as being among the most toxic - it actually shows the EXACT shade you used as the example!

http://www.elistmania.com/juice/10_toxic_makeups/

Whatever caused this is not in all Superior Preference shades, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1170115&postcount=1285. RR04 is one to stay far away from.

ETA: Dolly, you can write a review of the shade on the L'Oreal website. L'Oreal is inviting reviews. I would take them up on the offer, for however long the review may remain on the website.

Dolly
July 17th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you melikai....wow on that link....that is the EXACT shade I used....

And ktani, I will write them a review....it probably won't stay up for long.....when I spoke with their reps on the phone, all they offered me was a coupon for more haircolor! How insane is that?!

ktani
July 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Thank you melikai....wow on that link....that is the EXACT shade I used....

And ktani, I will write them a review....it probably won't stay up for long.....when I spoke with their reps on the phone, all they offered me was a coupon for more haircolor! How insane is that?!

Insane yes, and in my opinion rather insulting. When I spoke to the Clairol Hotline (Clairol has since been bought by P&G), years ago when I had a severe reaction to one of their new conditioners, that has to this day left me sensitive to certain chemicals on my scalp, I asked if anyone else had that kind of reaction with that line of products. The reply was yes. The product had only been available less than a year and it was subsequently reformulated.

I do not think you are the only one who has had this kind of problem with the shade. There are other places like makeupalley.com where your review will stay up for public viewing as well as here.

Rini
July 18th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I second Ktani's suggestion to write a review on makeupalley, I write many reviews there and also find it very helpful to read about personal experiences with ANY product I'm about to buy. Of course I can't be certain that all of the reviews are unbiased (it has been heard of for reviewers to actually be employees of the company being reviewed!) but with enough opinions to read, you can usually get a good idea of how good/safe something is.

Dolly
July 18th, 2010, 06:58 AM
OH I will be posting reviews in several places....of that you can be sure!

amaiaisabella
July 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I dyed my hair with the Ion permanent yesterday. I did the roots first since they were much lighter than the rest of my hair, left for 15 minutes, and then did the rest for a total of 45 minutes. My hair feels a little dry but no tangles, and the color didn't come out too dark. Now to actually keep it! I hope it doesn't fade like the demi did, otherwise I might have to hop on over to Clairol Pro, Dolly!

Dolly
July 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I dyed my hair with the Ion permanent yesterday. I did the roots first since they were much lighter than the rest of my hair, left for 15 minutes, and then did the rest for a total of 45 minutes. My hair feels a little dry but no tangles, and the color didn't come out too dark. Now to actually keep it! I hope it doesn't fade like the demi did, otherwise I might have to hop on over to Clairol Pro, Dolly!

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

TecWmn
July 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I too am a hair color addict, however, I do not use box color that you can buy at the grocery store. I order all my hair color products from the KillerStrands store and the price is comparable. Using high quality professional color is critical for hair health and incredible color. I am a crib-colorist forever! ;)