PDA

View Full Version : This is delightful!!

Medievalmaniac
July 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
OK, so since I have been contemplating henna, I've been saving shed hairs, but they are all clumped up in a little plastic pouchie thing, and also just lying on my dresser (I know, but I am a full time working mother and a writer, actor and artist - no time to be fussy neat!!) BUT - won't it be delightful to use this (http://www.victoriantradingco.com/store/catalogimages/11k/i7485.html) instead??? I couldn't resist - and it is on sale!! How quaint and really just fabulous!! :) Does anyone here have one already?

*Aoife*
July 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I want one! I do have a small tin which is packed full of hairs. But this is such a sweet idea.

*adds hair reciever to list of things I'd buy if I won the lotto*

Medievalmaniac
July 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I just figured, you know, with s&h, it costs less than filling my car's gas tank - and this will last longer :)

sibiryachka
July 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hmmm... somewhere in my mom's house is an old silver dresser set that was my great-aunt's... I seem to recall that it included a hair receiver. Must check into that; it would look so much nicer than the old kitchen canister I'm currently using!

ButterCream
July 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
What a lovely website with sooooooooooo many pretty things!
I would SO buy from them if I had any money for it:D
It looks like they only ship within Us though.

Sammich
July 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
What a cool idea, if I get one, it'd be less creepy(and much cuter) than piling all my hair right on my dressing table. :D

missfortune9335
July 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
i love that catalog :) I've looked at that item many times but I've never purchsed one. You'll have to let us know how you like it!

Idun
July 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have one and I use it all the time. Much nicer than a plastic bag. :)

berr
July 10th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I toss my shed hairs in the trash. I screw up enough vacuum cleaners the way it is. That said, years ago people saved their hair for twine and spun it on the spinning wheel to make the yardage. I'm not certain how long they saved their hair but I watched a spinner working a historical gig and the story of hair spinning was fascinating to me.

BunnyBee
July 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Grah-Toe Studio listed this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/40012108/repousser-ceramic-hair-receiver) modern version on Etsy this morning :)

squiggyflop
July 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
WANT!.... want.. want... want... i want! :wail:
i cant afford it.. sad now..
i never considered saving my shed hairs..
what would one do with the shed hairs?

Fiferstone
July 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Save 'em for experimenting with your henna mix :shrug:? I see relatively inexpensive celluloid hair receivers at flea markets fairly frequently. My grandmother had one in her dresser set, but she used it to hold cotton balls :).

BunnyBee
July 11th, 2010, 02:00 AM
WANT!.... want.. want... want... i want! :wail:
i cant afford it.. sad now..
i never considered saving my shed hairs..
what would one do with the shed hairs?

Someone.. I think EricTheGreat saves his shed hairs and has braided them for use as clip-in extensions :) You could also dye them funky colours so you could have streaks without damaging your hair :D

I have also heard of people making jewellery out of hair.. I think the Victorians may have done something similar too...

Dragon
July 11th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I've never thort of saving shedded hair. Gona start.

AgnesONutter
July 11th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Now, this would be something to have in my purse since I tend to brush my hair on the tram or train and then there is nothing to put the hair in, and I end up knotting it together and putting it in a hankie or something and then, of course, I can't undo the damage and get the hair to be straight and nice for doing stuff with like rats. Though, I probably would not get around to doing it anyhow, knowing me. Lots of crafting materials, no finished projects.

CrisDee
July 11th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I've had that brush, comb and mirror set on my bureau since 1983 when its original owner, my grandmother, passed away. Bbut my set didn't come with a hair receiver - that would make a wonderful addition to complete the set :)

embee
July 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM
My mom had one but I don't know what went with it. I never got it, and never saw it after she had died. Her hair was waist length and I do not know if she saved sheds, she never mentioned it. Although she did talk about "rats" sometimes, and I knew what she meant: stuffing for a bun.