View Full Version : Have you used hot sticks for curling hair?

MicheleClaire
June 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hey! I recently saw these beautiful photos of a girl who curled her very long hair with hot sticks and today a friend sold me her unused Conair hot sticks for only $3!

(http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/363620)
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Hot-Sticks-Hairsetter/882976)

I was wondering, will using these sticks damage my hair a lot? I have very heavy, straight hair and curling irons/hot rollers never work for me (even with hairspray >.<). I do have a few split ends from these experiences, so should I buy a heat protection spray this time? What kind do you use?

I rarely curl my hair (maybe 2-3 times a year) but I'd like to have a method that works when I need it. =)

Any suggestions/advice?

LawyerGirl
June 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have non-heat curlers that are that shape... they work basically like rag rollers but are easier to take in/out. They work pretty well, and my hair generally doesn't like to be curled.

MissMB
June 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hey there! I own a set of Hot Sticks and my straight hair is about 35 inches long. I was blown away by the fact that they actually do work. Spray, roll, spray, leave for like 15 minutes or until they cool off. I don't know anything about heat protection spray, though. I think you'll be fine since you don't do it much like me. By the way, the hair spray I use with them is Pantene Ice Shine - Level 4. I highly recommend it.

Just remember to be gentle with them because they are indeed covered in soft but grabbing rubber. I only manage to break one hair on my head when I curl with them. The only con I can think of is sometimes they're uneven in length.

Bottom line: the darn things WORK!

MicheleClaire
June 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Yay! I'm so excited that they work for you!

I get a little worried about using hairspray, though, because it makes my hair crunchy x.x

MissMB
June 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah I know how that is. But the spray doesn't smell too bad, and it won't be visibly "crunchy" unless you really overdo it. Unfortunately for my hair to curl I use have to use it! Small price to pay to me, though, since I get curls for that nice occasion. ^^

MicheleClaire
June 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM
::sigh:: Tried the hot sticks out this evening, didn't work too well for me. Couldn't get the tight curl I was looking for. Oh well!

FrannyG
June 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
MicheleClaire48, I have Hotsticks from when I used to use heat products. To be honest, they never worked well for me when I used them with heat.

However, now I use them cool, with excellent results. I spritz my hair with a tiny bit of distilled water and a dab of Morrocco Method gel. It only takes about 2 hours for them to air dry and set. Obviously, this is not quick and easy for doing in the morning before work, but it's great when you have the time.

I have really tight spiral curls after doing that. They last all day. The trick is not having my hair too damp, just very slightly. I also find the MM Gel to be excellent, and it has no alcohol in it, and it keeps my hair shiny, unlike drugstore gel.

I plan to use the sticks tomorrow or the next day and I'll post photos. We have similar hair types, and my hair doesn't ordinarily hold a curl very well.

MicheleClaire
June 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
That's awesome, thanks! I can't wait until I have enough posts to have an album of my hair photos and to see other albums, too. =)

MissMB
June 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Oh no I can't believe it didn't work for you! I was sure it would, my hair doesn't ever give in to any kind of curling but hot sticks and pantene spray. I'm sorry! :(

How do you see people's albums? It forbids me from looking at user's profiles for some reason. :\

FrannyG
June 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Here is a photo of the curls I made with cool HotSticks this morning. I used them as I described in my last post, spritzing with the tiniest bit of distilled water and applying a tiny dab of Morrocco Method Gel.

I only left the HotSticks in for about 90 minutes.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/oopiedoop11/Hair/Hot-Sticks-Curls-1-B.jpg

ETA: I should add that I only used 7 sticks and I only curled from the ears down. If I used smaller sections and more sticks, I would have tighter curls.

If for some reason you can't see the photo in this post, here is the link (http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/oopiedoop11/Hair/Hot-Sticks-Curls-1-B.jpg):

MicheleClaire
June 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Oh wow, your hair looks gorgeous! I have to try that method soon ^.^

MissMB, I was told that I needed at least 25 posts to see other peoples profiles x.x

LeaM07
June 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I haven't used them in a while, but used to every so often. I'd twist most of my length up into a bun and clip it at the top (so I'd have a bun with a short ponytail on top of it). I'd let the tail dry completely, then put teeny bits of hair onto the sticks (sometimes with hair spray, sometimes not, it didn't seem to make much difference). I'd let the sticks cool for a few minutes (less than 10), and would end up with a curly poof that I'd shape and glue down with hair spray. It worked great, but wasn't particularly hair-friendly. :)

When I would get a strand or two that didn't want to curl, it was usually because I either didn't let it dry thoroughly or put too much hair on a stick. Once or twice I tried to curl the length (at least the bottom part) without putting it up first, and I ended up with straight hair at the top and poodle curls at the bottom. I had too much hair for one set of sticks, so I had to do it in shifts. It took forever!

I know a few people in real life also who use these to curl the bottom part of their hair first before making an updo. One (with straight hair) uses mousse on the resulting curls. The other (a wavy) straightens hers first, which cuts down on the frizz. Again, not the most hair friendly of options, but gets the job done. ;)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
How hot do these get? Touchable i guess, as you'll roll it up to the scalp with your hands (or does it come with gloves? )

heidihug
June 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I use perm rods that are the same shape and approximate length when I want a tight curl (just once a year). I follow the same steps as Frannie (earlier in this thread) describes. I have thin and fine hair, though. I'd never use heat on the length as I don't want to risk more damage on fragile, 8-yr-old+ hair ends.

Here's a pic of the results:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=59406

LeaM07
June 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
How hot do these get? Touchable i guess, as you'll roll it up to the scalp with your hands (or does it come with gloves? )Mine don't get quite as hot as a curling iron, but they're quite hot to touch. The ends of the sticks are just rubber (the heating element is only in the middle), so you can hold them by the ends without hurting your fingers.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Mine don't get quite as hot as a curling iron, but they're quite hot to touch. The ends of the sticks are just rubber (the heating element is only in the middle), so you can hold them by the ends without hurting your fingers.

That sounds dangerous :/

LeaM07
June 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
That sounds dangerous :/By "heating element" I mean there is a metal part inside (from what I understand) that holds in the heat. When you turn on the unit, it heats up the sticks. When you pull a stick out of the unit, the ends quickly cool (because they're just rubber), but the middles stay hot (because they have metal inside, or whatever it is that conducts the heat). They're hot enough to make you say "ow" if you hold your fingers on them for very long, but they're not super hot like a curling iron.

And yes, if you're trying to prevent heat damage and treat your hair like fine lace, this probably isn't the best way to go. FrannyG and heidihug's methods are much more hair-friendly options. We have a variety of comfort levels with respect to heat styling and such here, though, so just helping out a little bit with information. :)

MissMB
June 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM
They're rubber-covered and the insides are metal springs. :)

Thanks for the advice!

cellardoor
June 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Omg I used to use these years ago! I think I got them for christmas one year, I probably still have them. I don't think they were that damaging although mine were made of a rubbery material that would make my hair get stuck around them sometimes! I might just have to go find them...

QueenTifa
June 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
My cousin has these, her and my aunt love them! They get bouncy curls, without not much damage from ceramics. Her hair is very glossy and slick even though she uses them 3 to 5 times a week.