PDA

View Full Version : "Baby hairs" won't lay down! Please help!

jmallen62691
June 15th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I have these "baby hairs" all over my head, especially in the front. They're curly and wispy and they stick straight up. It's so annoying! They look horrible! I really don't know what they are because when most people talk about their baby hair, it's like one or two inches. But this is something else. Mine are like 6 inches long! But they still won't go into my updo and they stick out all over the place. I've tried hairspray and gel and it just makes it worse. Has anyone had this problem and/or knows a solution? Please help! This is driving me crazy!

I found a pic.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/pajamajes/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0603001453.jpg
That! What the hell is that!? >.<

Loreley
June 15th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I have the same problem. I'll keep an eye on this thread. :eye:

countryhopper
June 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have them, too. I have some right at my temples and they like to bent up like horns. Not attractive. :D

The best thing I've found is not to wash my hair often. that way they lie down easier and my hair isn't as flyaway as when I first wash it.

punkcatknitter
June 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I don't know about the longer ones, but I use clear mascara on the short ones when I want to tame them into place.

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Have you tried a light oiling?

MakeLoveNotWar
June 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hmmm that's strange that gel and spray don't help. I always use Herbal Essences spray and it keeps those hairs down without creating a hard, helmet effect. Perhaps a hair glue? Probably not be the best for your hair but it might keeps those babies down. Hope you find something that works! :D

TrudieCat
June 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have these too and it's no fun dealing with them. I just use little clips or bobby pins to clip them back, or I let some face framing pieces fall around my face and they kind of blend in with those. Neither of those options is a perfect solution, sadly.

Anje
June 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Aloe gel is reputed to help some people. What I've found really weighs them down is shea butter conditioning cream (yep, check the recipes). Anything a little heavy and oily, including your own sebum, should get them down a little, but it'll weigh down the rest of your hair too.

I get the most frizzy baby hairs sticking out when I use shampoo, less when I'm doing CO, and even fewer back when I did WO. But there's a trade off with how fluffy you want your hair to be.

spidermom
June 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
My favorite product for that problem was Natures Gate Styling Putty. I haven't been able to find it lately, though; maybe they quit making it. Gel helps, too. I style my hair, wet my palms, then rub a dab of gel between them and smooth my palms over the surface of my hair. As long as I stay out of the wind and don't touch my hair after that, it keeps the little sticky-ups down pretty well.

jmallen62691
June 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hmmm that's strange that gel and spray don't help.

It just hardens them and turns them from wispy pieces to one hard piece that still sticks up.

I guess I'll try some different gels and leave-in and see what works.

spidermom
June 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wetting my hands first works better; I don't know why. But try that.

hemolymph
June 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM
This is only a problem for me when I wear my hair up..gel or hairspray won't work, little suckers pop right back out and up!
It's only real bad on my right side, looks like I have just one horn or something, lol.

I have to use sliders to hold them down..I get ones that match my hair color.

countryhopper
June 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I wonder what causes this? I don't pull my hair tight for it to break off from styling; maybe it's from sleeping on my side?

Katze
June 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I lost about half my hair last year from postpartum shedding and it is all growing back, currently at lengths from 1/4 inch to 6 inches. Honestly, I went and had my hair trimmed in a cut that works well with all this fluff (BANGS!!) and now mostly wear my hair down.

The other thing that really helps me is hair gel. I mix it with leave-in on freshly washed, air dried hair, then add more leave-in and water as the days go on.

Honestly I am trying to accept the fact that updos will never look tidy or pulled together on me unless I SHELLAC my hair down with brushing, oil, and hair gel, and even then I have to wet it a few hours later to make it lie flat. My sister (1b hair) can just throw all her thick hair up into a ponytail or bun and go out the door. I have to spend far too long to make updos look good on me, OR sometimes do 'accidental' updos that look good which I can never repeat.

Deliberately messy 'dos help a lot - crossing hair over the top of my head back and forth then gathering the rest into an unruly wad and clipping it up. However, I do very often wish that I had smooth hair that hung with some weight and had that 'swing' you so often see in straight haired people.

Oh, and another thing - 'cones help. A lot. :D

Upside Down
June 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, I have long baby hairs too, they really just keep growing until they blend with the rest of the hair.

One thing for sure is that I notice them only when I use SLS shampoo for whatever reason (normally I use egg to wash my hair). I have to remember to oil them as well after washing with SLS. I do hate shampoo on my hair. Hate.

Another good way to cope with them is to find them when your hair is dry, remember where they are, and when wet, twist them with a longer strand of hair. This should keep most of them in control. I have wavy/curly hair, I do not know if this will work for a more slippery and straight hair...

Charlottchen
June 16th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Hello there :D

I totally have the same problem, and in some mornings it drives me nuts. What does help for me though is just a tiny(!) amount of sheabutter, warmed between the palms and carefully 'wiped' over the parts with the babyhairs. Works wonders for me :)

kira33
June 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I have this problem too. I've been parting my hair in the middle for almost twenty years, and there are lots of tiny hairs sticking straight up along the part...and now that I'm in my forties, most of them are gray.

going gray
June 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I can get in line, ....I constantly have those little hairs ..especially at my temples.....appreciate the advice ladies.

farewell_nancy
June 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
My wispies were completely uncontrollable until I quit using shampoo. Apparently they were perpetually freaking out because they were always stripped of moisture.

virgo75
June 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Aloe gel is reputed to help some people. What I've found really weighs them down is shea butter conditioning cream (yep, check the recipes). Anything a little heavy and oily, including your own sebum, should get them down a little, but it'll weigh down the rest of your hair too.

I get the most frizzy baby hairs sticking out when I use shampoo, less when I'm doing CO, and even fewer back when I did WO. But there's a trade off with how fluffy you want your hair to be.

The bolded is what helps me.
Regular gel does the same thing it does to you - makes them stick out AND hard. I think it's because regular gel is drying to my hair and makes it rebel worse.

But when I mix about a nickel size of aloe gel with a drop of oil(evoo or jojoba) on wet hands then rub them together, it makes something that actually smooths my hair down. And I only use it on the area I'm trying to smooth. If I want to add to more area I mix up more little individual 'doses' for each area.

Hope that helps. :flower:

haharobots
June 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I notice that mine behave better when I use a leave-in conditioner. I also sometimes put lip balm on them to keep 'em down. I thought the lip-balm thing was weird, until I came here and saw that a lot of people regularly oil their hair. Now I don't feel so strange doing it. :p

Paniscus
June 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I just live with mine. I've tried various products and they work for awhile, but then suddenly, the hairs pop back up. I keep telling myself that soon these baby hairs will grow up and behave :)

kira33
June 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Since I started CO washing, it seems like I have way more of them...it's almost like the coney conditioner and shampoo I had been using was keeping most of them at bay, and now that I'm washing with conditioner only (Suave Naturals Coconut) ALL of my 'baby hairs' are poking out all over the place and they are much curlier.