PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hijab mostly

xcoolamandax
June 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'm a recent convert to Islam and have gotten married now and am wearing the hijab everyday. I've also decided after reading all of you wonderful ladies(and guys) posts on here to grow my hair long again. I'm tired of angled bobs and bleached blond hair. I'm ready for long light brown hippie hair again. I wanted to ask. Will hijab help or hurt me in this journey? If it would hurt, since taking it off isn't an option, what would be the best thing I could do to protect my hair while wearing it? Thank you in advance you lovely long hairs you. :)

jane53
June 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
A former student of mine wore traditional dress and kept covered. I never saw her hair, but she was beautiful (I'm sure she still is!) and her clothing, though traditional and very covered and modest, was beautiful.

I was talking with some of the women at the Islamic center here when I went for one of their wonderful community meals to break the fast after sundown during Ramadan, and we started talking about this former student of mine, who had recently married at that mosque . The women had helped her prepare and dress for her wedding. They said that her hair was thick and to her KNEES.

This woman had never gone uncovered that I know of, but her friends at the Islamic center were stunned by the beauty of her hair.

For what that secondhand experience is worth, xcoolamandax!

Capybara
June 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm not an expert on this, but maybe wearing a loose cap underneath will protect your hair from rubbing and breaking off? I wear head scarves all the time in the summer, because I think they're protective. :)

xcoolamandax
June 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Oh my goodness. To her knees? I might just lay down and die right now of jealousy. Mine is barely to my shoulders on a good day! My husband does having me oiling my hair a couple times a week. He says it's how all the Indian/Pakistani girls take care of their hair.

jane53
June 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Oh my goodness. To her knees? I might just lay down and die right now of jealousy. Mine is barely to my shoulders on a good day! My husband does having me oiling my hair a couple times a week. He says it's how all the Indian/Pakistani girls take care of their hair.

This woman was Palestinian and an immigrant from Jordan. I never asked her about hair oiling or anything. But I wouldn't be surprised....

Anyway, my point is that remaining covered entirely obviously didn't hurt her hair!

xcoolamandax
June 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
This woman was Palestinian and an immigrant from Jordan. I never asked her about hair oiling or anything. But I wouldn't be surprised....

Anyway, my point is that remaining covered entirely obviously didn't hurt her hair!I'm glad. I'm still mourning my decision to cut my pretty long hair about a year and a half ago. Just had to get those layers out though.

cm006j
June 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Congrats on your conversion and your marriage! I see you're in Maryland, me too :)

I'm a convert myself, to a different religion, but it always makes me happy to see people making these decisions about their faith. So important to think about.

Anyway, I don't know about hair covering and long hair, but I would expect the covering to protect it.

virgo75
June 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Congratulations on your conversion and marriage xcoolamandax! :)

Many of the Muslim ladies I know who cover their hair have very long hair(at least waist length, often longer!).
So I can't see it being a problem.
I don't know of any of them taking any precautions with regards to the veil damaging their hair, but if you're concerned, you could try wearing a silk or satin scarf under it. Especially if your veil material is scratchy or catches your hair.

I've also seen 'underscarves' that are fitted to the head and stretchy that are specifically supposed to be worn under the veil. I don't know where you would buy that where you're at, but you may be able to find it online?

spidermom
June 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think it would be a problem unless the material is scratchy.

Is this a public thing? Can you take it off inside your house?

Lamb
June 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
A lot depends on the material the hijab is made of. I don't know a lot about Islamic dress, but I thought the hijab was often made of satin or silk? Those fabrics wouldn't hurt your hair at all. :)

Your hairtype and scalp are another factor. Women in traditionally Muslim countries usually have coarse, thick and resilient hair (please correct me if I am mistaken here!), so their hair probably takes more friction without harm. If you keep your hair covered, you obviously need to wash it less often, which would increase its resilience. However, your scalp might not like not being aired often!

I heard that Muslim women do take the hijab off inside their homes, is that an option for you?

EvaSimone
June 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
If possible try to wear silk or satin hijabs, I know www.thecanadianmuslim.com sells some very nice turkish hijabs that are silky.

Cotton ones have the propensity to rub against the hair while silk will just glide.

princessp
June 3rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have noticed that my silk night cap has really improved my hair, so I second the silk hijab.

little_acorn
June 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I know that alot of ladies who wear hijabs also wear an undercap/snood which contains the hair before the hijab goes on top. Some of these are silk or satin. There is some really nice ones on Etsy :D

xcoolamandax
June 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
I do actually take it off inside the house :). I can wear whatever I want. Thanks for all the help. I'll ask my husband about buying me some underscarves.

spidermom
June 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
I educated my ignorance and found out that hijab is not a specific item of clothing like I was thinking, but the philosophy of dressing modestly and covering the hair. My research indicates that you (in cooperation with husband) have a lot of choice as to how and with what you will cover.

Cleopatra18
June 3rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
hey xcoolamandax, I am muslim too and i have been wearing hijab for the past 6 years,and it didnt hurt me at all :) I find it actually to help my hair ALOT when i go out,wether its from the sun or wind or cold weather or extra humidity etc :D It's even better because i usualy bun my hair underneath hijab,which is a protective style as well.you dont need to wear an undercover or anything,whenever i do its because for appearance not extra protection,and the friction between the veil and my hair is not as bad as some people think at all.enjoy your hair growing journey and welcome to islam :)

Mamakash
June 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
From what I've seen on the internet, there are plenty of sites/stores that sell hijabs and underscarves and there's plenty of selection . . . I'm thinking of ordering some hijab headbands and/or underscarf tubes to pair up with my pre tied bandanas. I started with cotton underscarves from a jewish sites(and I like them very much, I find the cotton breathable) but the color selection is limited. From that store, I purchased small and large under scarves caps and I warn you . . . the bathing style cap(which the also sell in hijab caps) is far too small for long hair. If your hair is long, you'll probably be more comfortable if you find a cap that accommodates extra hair. I haven't tried the "open tube" cap, but that would probably work with longer hair, provided you pin it up before pulling the cap over your forehead/ears.

I don't have much knowledge of scarf tying but that information is on the internet as well.

I haven't found any detriment to my hair being up and covered most of the time. It tangles less and I don't shed hairs as readily. The ends don't get as dry and the scalp doesn't seem to get as oily.

xcoolamandax
June 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
hey xcoolamandax, I am muslim too and i have been wearing hijab for the past 6 years,and it didnt hurt me at all :) I find it actually to help my hair ALOT when i go out,wether its from the sun or wind or cold weather or extra humidity etc :D It's even better because i usualy bun my hair underneath hijab,which is a protective style as well.you dont need to wear an undercover or anything,whenever i do its because for appearance not extra protection,and the friction between the veil and my hair is not as bad as some people think at all.enjoy your hair growing journey and welcome to islam :)Hey salaam sis :). Thanks for the help. Keep me in your duas.

Gulbahar
June 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Silk or satin as material for head scarves, as some suggested, is really not ideal because they keep sliding off your head all the time. The best and safest way would be a tight-fitting underscarf or even a stretchy cap and a regular headscarf on top of it.

LoversLullaby
June 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Congratulations on your conversion to Islam. :) I'm glad you found a religion that truly suits your beliefs! I always found hijabs to be quite beautiful. I think that wearing a silk or satin scarf or cap underneath your hijab would be your safest bet. Of course, if this is not an option, bunning it underneath your hijab would work too. I hope you find something that works for you!

Luckysock
June 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
I think wearing hijab is going to be awesome for your hair! protection from sun and wind damage!

Cailie
June 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Salam sister and welcome !

The hijab could actually help your hair a lot (...or hurt). You need to protect your hair with a natural fabric. Real silk is best, coton could also do (I have a friend who uses coton undercaps and she is convinced it's perfect for her and helps a great deal - and it's not as slippery), and wear synthetic (if you do) over this at all time.

The hijab is somewhat like an extra protection over a protective updo for hair : protecting from the sun, the wind, getting tangled or stuck somewhere, etc. But synthetic fabrics can ruin it all, so do protect your hair with an undercap and all will be great. It's mostly a question of fabric choice :)

I wish you a great journey :)

joiekimochi
June 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
From what I hear from my Muslim girl friends, most of them have long hair that they bun up and cover with a crocheted/knitted snood, before putting on the hijab. They pin the hijab to the snood, not their hair, so the snood carries the weight and not their scalp.

I've seen some older Muslin ladies just wear the snood without the hijab, though. It's like a more casual look.

Debra83
June 3rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Pics???????

Copasetic
June 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I think wearing hijab is going to be awesome for your hair! protection from sun and wind damage!

Thats what I was thinking. I have never seen a hijab that wasn't made out of a silk/satin kind of material. I don't think that damage would be much of a concern. The only thing you might have to be concerned about are the pins. I have seen a lot of Muslim girls use different kinds of pins to secure their hijab. Just make sure they either aren't damaging or don't touch your hair and you are good to go.

doro357
June 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Salam,I've been wearing mine for 14 years .The hijab protects the hair from the elements .Just don't wear it too tight .If you want to wear a style with many layers, try not to leave it on a long time.

xcoolamandax
June 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wa salam everyone. I try and keep my hijab simple. Just throw it on to go out. I wouldn't wear too many layers seeing as this is my first summer as a hijabi/niqabi and i'm already wearing abaya and niqab too.(married an imam, must set a good example about modesty and all)

Cleopatra18
June 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM
it can feel too heavy sometimes if the weather is too hot,i usualy wear regular cotton scarf and thats it,especialy during summer.havent seen anything bad about it regarding my hair.
btw my mom wears niqab too,and no bad effect at all on her hair.

Igor
June 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
What school of belief does you and your husband belong to? There are many different opinions on the proper way to dress and behave. Hijab, niqab and abaya points to a few different movements and Iím sure it all affects how you would wear and protect your hair under your dress

Some niqab types have a sort of ďfittedĒ almost hat-like top that you can wear a high bun under but other types require a lower bun so the shape and mass of your hair is hidden. Since youíre still on the short side, this shouldnít be a problem
This website: http://www.coveryourhair.com/ has some awesome pre-tied bandannas that are both smooth and damage free and that will also give some support to a big bun once you get to that! (Seriously, I love these. When you tie the tail ends up and around your bun, they will add some support and stability) You could easily hide these under your dress

But as others have said, there are plenty of hair friendly options out there if you are willing to add a hair-friendly layer under your clothing of choice

Personally I think itís a shame if you feel the need to cover your face. You can still be perfectly modest and proper and show your happy glow and gentle smile so everyone can see what a honest and genuine a person you are :shrug:

Cailie
June 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
What school of belief does you and your husband belong to?

I think you should ask what school she belongs too herself. Islamic faith is highly personal, why ask about her husband ? ...

Personally I think it’s a shame if you feel the need to cover your face.

She did say she wanted to wear the hijab ;)

Igor
June 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I think you should ask what school she belongs too herself. Islamic faith is highly personal, why ask about her husband ?

Since her husband is an iman I think itís very important to ask her husband what image he would like her to show and what school to follow. He is an important man that many people look up to for moral and spiritual guidance so she needs to consider more than just herself and her personal opinion
Being his wife puts her in a very important position as a role model and they need to agree on these things

spidermom
June 4th, 2010, 02:41 PM
When I was researching what this was, I found a lot of pictures of hijab, and most of them showed the face.

Tabitha
June 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Personally I think itís a shame if you feel the need to cover your face. She did say she wanted to wear the hijab ;)

When I was researching what this was, I found a lot of pictures of hijab, and most of them showed the face.

i'm already wearing abaya and niqab too.

Niqab (http://muhajabat.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/a-guide-to-niqab-part-1/) covers the face allowing only the eyes to show.

Peter
June 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM
From what I know, hijab is like a headscarf that covers the head, abaya is a long robe that covers the whole body, and niqab is a veil that covers the whole head and face.

To the OP: I would also suggest silk to prevent damage from rubbing on your hair.

cuddledumplin
June 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
First of all, congratulations on your conversion and marriage. I wish you a life of peace and happiness.

I'm sure it will be quite beneficial to your hair because it is protected from the elements. However, tight bunning and rubbing could cause damage, but varying the way you bun the hair and wearing an undercap could help this. I'd vary the way I put my hair up and not make the buns overly tight.

I live in an area with a high Muslim population, and I see a lot of women wearing lovely hijab. I saw a woman wearing a gorgeous red one today with a white rose pinned to the side of it. It was so pretty.

Cailie
June 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Since her husband is an iman I think it’s very important to ask her husband what image he would like her to show and what school to follow. He is an important man that many people look up to for moral and spiritual guidance so she needs to consider more than just herself and her personal opinion
Being his wife puts her in a very important position as a role model and they need to agree on these things

@igor ; I hadn't seen that she mentioned that her husband is an imam and wanted to show the best role model. Sorry about the confusion, I understand better the meaning of your message :)

Cailie
June 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Niqab (http://muhajabat.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/a-guide-to-niqab-part-1/) covers the face allowing only the eyes to show.

my fault, I missed the message about the niquab (I was looking at the thread title and first postings) :o

Back to topic, I hope you find great ways to protect your hair ! any further tips and experiences more than welcome :)

Igor
June 5th, 2010, 07:02 AM
@igor ; I hadn't seen that she mentioned that her husband is an imam and wanted to show the best role model. Sorry about the confusion, I understand better the meaning of your message :)

No problem, we all just want to help here :wink:

MandaMom2Three
June 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hmmmm, you know I just thought of something. I have always wanted long hair. I was never able to grow it longer than around arm pit until we joined a church that required head covering when I was 22. My hair went from shoulder length to waist in about a year! I didn't take care of it at all! Used any product, didn't care how I brushed it, etc. but it still looked great! We left that church 5 years ago and I stopped covering. It didn't take long until it was so damaged I had to cut it back to shoulder. Since then, even after finding LHC and taking care of my hair, I can't get past BSL without having to cut back to shoulder due to damage!! It just dawned on me today that quite likely the only reason my way too easily damaged hair was able to make it to waist and look nice was BECAUSE I wore a veiling over my hair! So I'm definitely going to have to agree with the "it will be good for your hair" crowd :D

Purdy Bear
June 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I wear scarves because of my Alopecia and Iv found some problems with certain materials.

Be careful what materials you use, as some will make you swet or itch and thus cause breakage. Others can slip from hair, so need to be heavily pinned.

You could try using a satin or silk underneath and then a normal material on the top.

I also had some breakage while wearing the satin, so I go without when Im mostly in doors and its warm enough just to let the scalp breath. Im not sure if you could do this, but it might be worth a try.

Melisande
June 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I have a hijab, tried it as night covering, and I can't imagine that it would hurt the hair.

Many of my students are head covering muslims, and they seem to have long hair under the hijab. It looks lovely, by the way, especially when you can see there is a bun in the nape...

suncica
June 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Assalamualaikum,
I'm a new revert too (well, three years now) and I'm in the same boat as you, although I started from a very short pixie, so now I am at shoulder length. I've found that silk is definitely the best material for hijabs, and because it does indeed slip and slide all over the place, the ideal way of getting the best of both worlds is to wear a silk underscarf and whatever hijab you want on top of that. Also, a silk pillow really helps a lot too. Acutally, in a hadith, the prophet (peace be upon him) told his wife to wear only silk hijabs. So actually, it is also a sunnah :) Welcome to Islam and may Allah give us all long beautiful hair!

suncica
June 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I just wanted to add that I just noticed in another post that your husband is an imam, and lol, so is mine! And I wear abayas and niqab too, and both my skin and hair have improved a lot. Well, there's absolutely no sun damage lol :p Just make sure you take enough vitamin D though to make up for the lack of exposure of your skin to the sun.

howardhijabi
April 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Asalaamu Alikum

I wear hijab I'm trying to grow my hair now. I currently do the baggy method under my hijab. I don't know if its helping with growth but my hair feels great. I am AA by the way with kinky natural hair.

AnqeIicDemise
April 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I do believe there are bonnets you can purchase to wear underneath the hijab. They come with either strings or elastic to keep it in place. You can find them online... I have found them as underscarves or bonnets in a few websites. (I am not muslim but I AM obsessed with Hijab scarves as I find them elegant and pretty. Redmond is pretty Muslim and Hindu friendly so I always find myself looking at their garb wondering if I'd look too out of place wearing it. LoL! I mean.. sari's... so pretty... and there are some really pretty scarves out there too!)

From my youtube studies, -ahem- some girls prefer to have the underscarf/bonnet as it helps with pinning the hijab in place as well as add a bit more dimension to the draping.

Besides, I always found the huge plus of wearing a head scarf to be not the fashion statement nor modesty but the benefit of hair protection. Talk about not exposing it to the elements! :D

tolly
July 21st, 2011, 01:49 PM
I buy my hijab from this shop http://www.middleeasternmall.com/ , you'll see some satin underscarfs which can be tied securely.

darkrose
July 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I have a friend who wore one of those, it was amazing, i saw her hair before she started wearing it. Her hair was a tiny bit below shoulder lenght, and slightly on the dry side, 6 months later i saw her hair again. It was stunning, BSL lenght, shiny and sleek. ( Her hijab was satin or silk, i can't remember, but i know it helped her hair a lot :)

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Im sure it has no effect on the hair

SoulOfTheSea
August 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
My younger sister has a friend who wears a hijab all the time. She doesn't wear it in her own home, so when she visits her, her hair is out and it is BEAUTIFUL! So thick and shiny! From what I am guessing, the hijab will protect your hair from the sun, wind, tangling, touching, and anything that will be harmful to your hair. This also why LHC promotes hair scarves, it makes for lovely hair! :)

lidapida
July 31st, 2012, 03:45 AM
If you use hair-friendly material (no expert on this so I'd google it - probably easy to find out) the hijab can only help! It'll cover your hair from various environmental demons such as sunlight, harsh heat/cold and even wind your hair will enjoy being rid of. In addition you won't get your hair stuck in things constantly (I get mine stuck in my glasses... :-( ) and you will greatly decrease damage done to it by it chair-backs etc.
I would honestly wear one if it wasn't so stigmatized in my society and I'm an atheist!
But maybe I should go all out now that I'm quitting drinking, smoking and generally all unhealthy things. It certainly would start a lot of talk ;-) Anyway, hope this was helpful! And kudos to you for going this way :-)

coneyisland
July 31st, 2012, 04:53 AM
Silk or satin as material for head scarves, as some suggested, is really not ideal because they keep sliding off your head all the time. The best and safest way would be a tight-fitting underscarf or even a stretchy cap and a regular headscarf on top of it.

Tying on snug at the nape any cotton or fairly loosely woven rayon scarf first, its front edge a little lower (or more forward) than the silk (or silky or other slick type weave) scarf is to be positioned over it, then folding its front edge back over the front edge of the (next added) upper (silk or silky) scarf, adds a complementary band of color or decoration in front, and it keeps the slicker weave scarf in place for much longer than it would stay in place otherwise.

Another solution I have found is wearing a headband of either of a couple of styles of Goody brand headbands, stretchy ones having no metal parts, specifically made to be resistant to slipping. Either side of the material of such a headband is as resistant to slipping as the other. Using one of these under a single silk scarf keeps my scarf in place for much longer than my scarf positioning would last without it.

Ambystoma
July 31st, 2012, 05:11 AM
I think, like other members have said, a silk satin under scarf or cap would be great for your hair. Remember not to tie it up the same way all the time or too tightly or you risk breakage from that though, but since it's under a head covering you can really have it in a different updo every day and if you're not keen on the way it looks, then just take it down at home :).

EndlessSunshine
July 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM
Congratulations! Marriage is a wonderful gift and when you have shared faith it makes life so much better. I haven't a clue about what to do with your hair but I have always admired the modesty and beauty of Muslim women. Bless you and your husband.

littlestarface
July 31st, 2012, 08:39 AM
I wear shayla and it never does any bad to my hair never,,its a georgette type of material like chiffon I guess and its by far the best fabric out there for covering the head me thinks. All from arabia wear this type and our hairs are strong and long and very soft and thick.

I would never wear silk scarves cuz there so flimsy and fall everywhere you would have to wear some undercap to stop the scarf from going in every direction lol.

Chromis
July 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Oooh, I love this! The thread has been brought back from the dead twice now! That's some dandy fine search button hitting at work :D

DinaAG
July 31st, 2012, 06:14 PM
well dear im muslim by birth and i dont wear hijab but some of my friends do, try nt 2 wear it tight + wear it in a right way so u wont need 2 pull it down a lot which will make u lose ur front hair and once u r home take it off so ur scalp can breath, best of luck :)

Kiwiwi
July 31st, 2012, 06:39 PM
I am half dutch/half moroccan.
My grandmother is 76 and she has the most beautiful, still black hair down to I'd say her knees? Not sure but reeeaally long. I'd say she has worn a hijab for over 65 years. Always. Also indoors with her family.

Luna12345
July 31st, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have a relative who has worn the hijab for years and her hair was down to her waist, super healthy and beautiful. I think you would just have to make sure that your hair is completely dry and not damp underneath your hijab(that may cause dandruff and other issues). She always wore her hair in buns or braids.

Little Unicorn
July 31st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Salaam my sisters :)
I'm also a muslim and therefore I wear hijab.
I don't find that it damages my hair, actually quite the contrary. I usually put my hair up under the hijab because it's more comfortable, so my ends don't rub against the fabric. But just in case, there are lots of beautiful silk scarves and also if you prefer non-silk scarves, you can use silf underscaves. the hijab is good for your hair anyways, because you don't get damaged by the sun or wind, and you don't need to style your hair all nice with hairspray and stuff.

Also, congrats on your conversion and marriage!

I don't have the gorgeous long hair they speak of, my hair is also to my shoulders :( Actually long hair is quite rare where I come from. When told my mom I want to grow my hair to my hips she asked me if I was feeling ok lol.

blondie9912
August 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'm envisioning a silk cap with elastic edges that you can wear underneath, should your hair covering be at all rough. Not sure if such a hat exists, but it seems like it would be a good idea :)

Little Unicorn
August 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
I'm envisioning a silk cap with elastic edges that you can wear underneath, should your hair covering be at all rough. Not sure if such a hat exists, but it seems like it would be a good idea :)

Yes they exist... not specifically for hair health, but they exist.

lole18
August 1st, 2012, 06:20 PM
I am a muslim and let me tell you it most certainly won't damage it don't worry it will actually protect it & congratulations on converting & getting married :)

ManeSqueeze
August 1st, 2012, 07:57 PM
I found a site when looking for ways to tie a headscarf, and I found this on sale on a very nice site:
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=66&groupid=30

There's also a lot of other snoods that can be worn under, though most of them are velvet lined. I'm not sure if that would be good or bad for hair, but it sure would be soft!

Falcon9
August 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
I hope its ok to ask a openminded question on this.
After you read this, tell me what were you told?
Btw in Islam it mandates private area hair removal and by specific methods and during Haaj your supposed to chop of quite a bit. Read at actual islamic sites and info sites, husbands tend to tell women only what suits them.
So the religion you quit , obviously it allows you to quit it!
But I heard Islam or Muslim does not allow you to convert out of it , in Pakistan, and in every Islamic Nation they have a Capital Punishment if you convert out of the religion, once into Islam you are prohibited from ever leaving. I read this on the Government Sites of Islamic Nations, and Every Imam I spoke to said - yes you can convert into Islam, but you can never leave. ANd Islam is only religion that prohibits people from leaving and that too under a Capital Offense mandated sentence. In news every month almost in Pakistan you read of such and such Muslim was executed for converting to Buddhism or Christianity!

Little Unicorn
August 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Btw in Islam it mandates private area hair removal and by specific methods and during Haaj your supposed to chop of quite a bit. Read at actual islamic sites and info sites, husbands tend to tell women only what suits them.
But I heard Islam or Muslim does not allow you to convert out of it , in Pakistan, and in every Islamic Nation they have a Capital Punishment if you convert out of the religion, once into Islam you are prohibited from ever leaving. I read this on the Government Sites of Islamic Nations, and Every Imam I spoke to said - yes you can convert into Islam, but you can never leave. ANd Islam is only religion that prohibits people from leaving and that too under a Capital Offense mandated sentence. In news every month almost in Pakistan you read of such and such Muslim was executed for converting to Buddhism or Christianity!

About the private area hair, yes that's true, but I don't quite get what your question is? If you were wondering why, it's just for hygiene. For hajj, people don't cut pubic hair at the end, the men shave their head hair and the women either trim or they cut their nails.

Generally in islam, both women and men should listen to their spouse's opinion about appearance, but they can't force each other.

This may be a little complicated but, i'll try to explain...

The main message of Islam is to make you think about your creator and do what you think is right. So if your brain and heart tell you to convert out of Islam, it's the right thing to do. However, "Islam" means submitting to the will of god, which, as we believe, everyone must do. So of course it will be considered a sin if you don't submit, although many other religions also preach submitting. About killing, well, I don't know where that idea came from, but I doubt there is any proof from the Quran or prophet that this should be done. Also, the "Islamic" Nations do so many things that are unrelated to Islam, and to justify their actions they blame it on Islam unfortunately. I'll have to do more research about it, but thanks for asking.

A quick tip: if you hear something about Islam that doesn't make sense or sound peaceful, question the source or ask someone to explain it to you :) It helps so much with confusion and misunderstanding!

lole18
August 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM

We only trim less than an inch of hair after haj :) And it is true you can convert into islam but never leave :) i wish i could explain more but there is TOO much to explain! are you thinking of converting or is it just curiosity? :)

Shepherdess
August 1st, 2012, 09:05 PM
I am Messianic, and I usually always cover my head and oftentimes my hair as well (especially during worship or prayer, but I am considering covering my hair all of the time for modesty).

Covering actually helps protect the hair I think (as long as it is a gentle type of material).

I sometimes put my hair up in a Tichel like this one. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8UjsV2ZEc

winship2
August 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I never had trouble with hair health wearing hijab. The only thing that I can imagine would be trouble for me is putting my hair up before it's dry so it fits under hijab, i.e. it won't dry in a bun. But I'm quite sure you'll be just fine. And Ramadan mubarak! Is this your first Ramadan?

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
I am Messianic, and I usually always cover my head and oftentimes my hair as well (especially during worship or prayer, but I am considering covering my hair all of the time for modesty).

Covering actually helps protect the hair I think (as long as it is a gentle type of material).

I sometimes put my hair up in a Tichel like this one. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8UjsV2ZEc

Wow, I'm glad to hear that! I love seeing people care about modesty. It's so rare these days :(

Oh and RAMADAN MUBARAK to everyone!!! :D

sakuraemily
August 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
It will help your hair's health to keep your hair covered.
Congratulations, but I do hope you converted because you truly believe in it and not because it is your husbands' religion.
About the philosphy of hair covering, wasn't it put forth by the prophet to protect women from the barbaric ways of the ancient tribes? He did after all realize that it was easier to protect women than to civilize all men at once. A lot of people including Muslims I know are sure He would have changed his mind today. After all it is possible to live modestly even without completely covering your hair as well?
I don't mean to offend you n any way. I'd just really like to know.

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
It will help your hair's health to keep your hair covered.
Congratulations, but I do hope you converted because you truly believe in it and not because it is your husbands' religion.
About the philosphy of hair covering, wasn't it put forth by the prophet to protect women from the barbaric ways of the ancient tribes? He did after all realize that it was easier to protect women than to civilize all men at once. A lot of people including Muslims I know are sure He would have changed his mind today. After all it is possible to live modestly even without completely covering your hair as well?
I don't mean to offend you n any way. I'd just really like to know.

To be completely honest, not everyone is "civilized" even today. I'm sure that a woman's hair does increase her level of attractiveness, and I believe that one should only try to attract her own husband. I actually read a thread, I'm not sure if it was on this website or another, about perverted responses to peoples hair. Now, these could have been avoided if their hair couldn't have been seen. I am NOT in any way implying that it is the woman's fault that people are perverted, BUT who can civilize all men? It's nearly impossible.

I'll give an example to help you understand what I mean:

When it rains, do you hold an umbrella or say that it would be a better idea to stop the clouds from raining? Sure, it might be, but it's impossible. In the same way, the person who could stop perverts from being perverted would be a hero, but it's nearly impossible.

So in Islam, the women are taught to be modest, and the men are told to lower their gaze. The women must be modest because there is no way to make the other people in the society lower their gaze.

Of course you can be modest without covering your hair :) But covering you hair is just more modest.

Thanks for asking :)

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Oh and another example (I love giving examples, sorry)

If a bad guy (rapist, pervert, whatever) was looking at two twins walking down the street, one with long, beautiful, shiny hair and the other one was bald, and both were wearing modest clothes, which do you think he would choose?

Just to explain how hair does in fact effect our appearance.

kitekats
August 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
It's a pity, that no one will see them...

sakuraemily
August 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Little Unicorn I get what you're saying but men's behavior is not something uncontrollable or something that is controlled by nature like rain. it mostly has to do with upbringing. After centures of wonderful religions all over the world that tell them not do that very thing they should have learned.
We should not have to restrict ourselves coz they are worse than wild animals(i don't mean all men of course)

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
It's a pity, that no one will see them...

I see what you mean but I don't really feel that way. My family and female friends all see my hair, just the unrelated males don't. I really don't feel the need to show my hair to them anyways :shrug: maybe because I'm used to it?

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Little Unicorn I get what you're saying but men's behavior is not something uncontrollable or something that is controlled by nature like rain. it mostly has to do with upbringing. After centures of wonderful religions all over the world that tell them not do that very thing they should have learned.
We should not have to restrict ourselves coz they are worse than wild animals(i don't mean all men of course)

Of course your right, but what about the men that don't have these wonderful religions and upbringings? don't we have to protect ourselves against them? That's what I meant.

sakuraemily
August 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Fair point, Little Unicorn. It just annoys me to see girls who think that people not in a hijab are comitting a sin( whether or not they are muslim). I've also seen many that think that wearing one will make them a good muslim. I wish they'd follow the more important tenets of their religion with half that much sincerity( believe me there are many who don't).

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
I know a lot of people feel that it is "restrictive" but I only think it restricts men because when I wear hijab, I feel like I'm telling people that they have no right to look at me wrongly and they should judge me based on my personality and not my looks. It makes me feel stronger and more independant. IDK, maybe you can convince me otherwise? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Fair point, Little Unicorn. It just annoys me to see girls who think that people not in a hijab are comitting a sin( whether or not they are muslim). I've also seen many that think that wearing one will make them a good muslim. I wish they'd follow the more important tenets of their religion with half that much sincerity( believe me there are many who don't).

true, true. modestly is more that one's hair, and Islam is more than modesty :)

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM

true, true, Modesty is more than one's hair, and Islam is more than modesty :)

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM

true, true. Modesty is more than hair, and Islam is more than modesty :)

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
true :) Islam is more than covering hair.

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
Oh my goodness, for some reason my reply wouldn't post, then it posted a lot of times. sorry about that.

3azza
August 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
As said by others, your hair will like hijab. I've noticed results on women who wear it. I don't wear it myself but i used to use it for 2 years as a shield from the sun, and it helped a great deal. i used cotton and sometimes silk. But remember to take it off indoors as much as possible to ventilate your scalp, specially in humid hot weather because that would encourage some kind of dandruff and sebum.

Mischamiu
August 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think it will hurt, it will protect your hair from the wind, sun... But if I were you I would try to buy scarfs made of silk :)

Othala
August 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
.....when I wear hijab, I feel like I'm telling people that they have no right to look at me wrongly and they should judge me based on my personality and not my looks. It makes me feel stronger and more independant.

This is fantastic. More power to you Little Unicorn. :D

Venefica
August 3rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
As far as I know wearing a cover over your hair should protect it, your hair will not be put into sunlight which can harm it and it will not get all that dust and wear and tear from exposing it to everyday life. If your head scarf have beads and other though details you might want to get a satin hair cap to wear under it to protect your hair. Now I am no expert but I think wearing a Hijab should protect your hair not harm it.