PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual sky "henna" and swimming?

vamq
May 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I couldn't find another thread about it, so here goes.
If there is another thread about this, I'd like to know, and this one can be closed :)

Anyway, I've been dying my hair with Henna from Spiritual Sky. It's a cheap brand, which I always buy at the local health store. I've been using it for half a year now, and even if it's probably henna mixed with other stuff, I'm quite pleased with the results. (I mix the henna gloss with a bit of "pure" henna so it never turns out bright red. Just the way I want it.)

But all the time I've been using it, I've never been to the pool. I really want to start swimming again once a week, but I'm afraid the henna will react with the chlorine in the water.

Is there anyone here who can tell me if I can swim without my hair turning green because of the chlorine in the pool?
Especially because this brand of henna is really cheap, so it's probably mixed (the box sais 100% pure henna, but they're supposed to put that on the box...)

Thanks in advance:)

Fractalsofhair
May 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Does the henna stain your skin an orangey shade, and do you have to wait for dye release? Do you not have to use a developer? If so, it's probably real henna, maybe with some cassia or indigo. I found out I have a friend that can get me henna for less than 50cents when he travels with his family to a couple middle Eastern countries this summer. (Woot!). I also know a lot of people can get BAQ quality henna at a middle Eastern or Indian market for $2 a container or so.

Siveda
May 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I didn't try swimming yet since I'm a hennahead and I'm afraid the whole pool will be orange if I do so... people must think some strange things when they see that...

Fractalsofhair
May 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I've gone swimming in a lake with henna, and it didn't bleed at all. Don't wash the henna out in a pool, and you should be fine!