View Full Version : All right here comes the start

lelaelena
May 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
So I, flat iron, blow dryer and bleach addict, am about to start to get serious about my hair health.

My commitment, I will not purchase and attempt to use an extensive routine with supplements and many steps like I have in the past, only to spend all that money and have tons of products lying around because I gave up on that particular mission and started heat styling again.

I will start simple and build from there. I've been using coconut as a pre-shampoo, shampooing only roots and rinsing ends with a non-cone conditioner, then applying coney conditioners as leave-ins. My hair has loved me for that, but I've still been heat styling. The buck stops here. I will now go on a no heat style mission until my birthday (today is May 20th, my birthday is August 6th) and see what happens. In addition I will add olive oil on top of my coconut oil as a precondition and see how things go (the coconut oil is great but my hair is so thick coarse wiry and curly that it absorbs almost entirely, so I will supplement with olive oil which will form a bit more of a film and then "shampoo"). Will let everyone know and everyone wish me luck.

BTW, I just joined LHC after perusing for a little bit and I have to say you ladies amaze me with your devotion, patience and steadfast commitment to long hair. Long live long locks.

tokidokichi
May 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Sound like a great plan, good luck on your journey and welcome to LHC!

LaurelSpring
May 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Keep up the good work! It only gets better and better.

spidermom
May 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I'm glad to hear the coconut oil is absorbed. That's exactly what you want for stronger, more supple hair. Good luck with your goals, and welcome.

JenniferNoel
May 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Great plan! It's always a little tough for the first several months but once you get used to it it's smooth sailing from there. I used to flat iron and blow dry almost every other day myself, and I was a bleacher during that time as well until LHC came along. So, BTDT. :D
Bottom line, welcome to LHC and happy growing!

lelaelena
May 20th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks ladies, little words can mean a lot.

It's kind of like people who need to quit smoking, I almost can't imagine my life without my heating appliances and hair colour, they're so ingrained into my existence and habits. But I sure will try.

Bianca
May 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Good luck, it sounds like a good start :thumbsup:

Linnykinz
May 20th, 2010, 11:19 PM
BTDT, as I'm sure almost all of us have..welcome to the family ! Believe me, this is not something you will regret...I thought I would regret the flat-iron, curler, bleaches, and dyes. I miss them, yes, but regret giving them up ? No way. Can't wait to see your transformation. I thin kwe would all like to see some before and after progress pictures :crush:

IcarusBride
May 21st, 2010, 01:19 AM
Welcome to LHC!!!

ravensinger13
May 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Good luck! Keep us updated and post pictures when you can. ;)

Nae
May 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM
You can do it!!!!!

breezefaerie
May 21st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Welcome and good luck on your mission!
Please don't be too hard on yourself if you "fall of the wagon" once in a while. It sounds like you have made great choices regarding your hair.