View Full Version : I want v-shape cut :)

BeatlesFanGirl
May 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Should I have it? My hair is thicker in the middle of my head, than on the side. I want something like that (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004RD5W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg).

I have some questions to those, who have/had: I've heard that v-shape makes hair look fuller and thicker. Is it true? Is there a difference between V and U in maintaining hair? Does it look good in a high pony? (I wear it like that occasionaly - when sporting, dancing, etc...) Should I have layers or bangs with it? Did you like v-shape hair more than blunt cut? Is it easier to grow to waist, than to grow U-shape (which I have now)?

Tap Dancer
May 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I've heard that v-shape makes hair look fuller and thicker. Is it true?
I've never heard that. How would it look thicker? I think a U shape would make the ends seem thicker than a V shape, personally.

If you like the look, go for it! :thumbsup:

Isilme
May 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think v-hemlines look great! Just keep in mind that buns and braids can look fuzzy depending on how dramatic the v is.
And whenever I cut a v it always grows into a u instead after some months.

spidermom
May 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I don't see how it could possibly make hair look fuller or thicker. Just the opposite, I would imagine, as making buns and braids with the V-shape is going to result in a lot of shorter ends sticking/falling out. But if you like wearing your hair down more than up, and the V-shape appeals to you - go for it. You can always change it if it doesn't work for your hair as well as for the woman pictured above; hair grows and changes.

Blandine
May 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
To me, a V-shape looks like an outgrown old haircut in need of proper trimming.

Brisen
May 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I did a self trim with Feye's method (Freye's? I read about it here) in what ended up being a fairly deep v. My hair is wavy/curly, and sometimes it ends up feeling like the hair at my sides is much shorter than at the back, depending on how it curls/separates. And it can look kind of funny up in a ponytail -- you can sometimes see three separate sections, two short on the sides and one long in the middle. But that may be due more to my trimming "skills" than the cut itself. I do like how it looks when my hair cooperates, though. At the longest, my hair is just past BSL.

Angeletti
May 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think the picture you put up looks awesome, if your ready for something different you should go for it!

spidermom
May 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Ha - I kind of feel that reaction, too. But one of these days I may give it a try as I've had blunt and U but never V and never fairy tale.

GlassEyes
May 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I think it looks nice--though I'm not really a fan of blunt hemlines on many people.

jaine
May 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I like it too.

Carolyn
May 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I think your hair in your avatar pic looks perfect now. With a high ponytail you will likely get one center long section and then the shorter side pieces will pull up into the pony and look shorter, giving you a really skinny thin bottom half to the pony. The nice thing about hair is that it grows. Keep in mind that the woman's hair in the picture was probably trimmed that way just for the photo shoot and to point the eye to her tattoo. It looks great in the picture but hair moves around. Shorter side pieces flop forward.

FrannyG
May 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I think that v-shapes are very pretty and feminine. They can also make some updos easier to accomplish than a straight-across hemline.

However, do be aware that if you like wearing a braid, you will see significant taper in your braid. If that doesn't bother you, then I say go for it! :)

May
May 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
A deep V will take some weight off your hair and lighten it up. I think a V would be easier to take of than blunt simply due to less bulk in the hair...:p

Deborah
May 17th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Bingo. That's it exactly.

Isilme
May 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I think that tb length and a v-hemline is the perfect way to point out my amazing behind;)

GoddesJourney
May 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I had a v cut and I absolutely loved it. I cut it off because I was getting rid of layers and damage and I wanted it all to be the same length for the sake of braiding and bunning. When it gets longer, I will put the v back in. I loved it.

cindy58
May 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
The photo you posted looks nice -- but it also looks very "done" to me, like it would take extra work/products to keep it looking like that.

If you still feel like a change and are willing to gamble that you'll like it, you could give it a try. I think your avatar photo looks great as it is.

Felix_D
May 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Bingo. That's it exactly.
I agree. It looks a little dated too. I remember more blown out haircuts that ended in a whispy V in the back. That's what it reminds me of.

kelly-j
May 18th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I really can´t see how your hair would look thicker cutting it into a v-shape, but if you really want to try it, do so. It´s hair and it will grow out again. V has a tendency to shape as a U after a couple of months. So if you don´t like it, it´s not the end of the world. :-)
The pic you showed us looks lovely but I doubt the hair looks that perfect by itself.

Loreley
May 18th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I think hair looks much thinner with a v-shape cut, not fuller...

Cleopatra18
May 18th, 2010, 03:15 AM
i have v shape and trying to get it into a U,in my PERSONAL opinion,i think high ponytail looks really bad with v cut,the ends are very thin (atleast mine).also it's really hard dealing with your ends because they're more likely to break etc.There'snt any diffrence in bunning,and the overall shape,i think U shape gives the most thickness.I'm not a fan of blunt hemlines in general because they just sometimes look shapeless when you take your hair down.But it's a matter of taste and if u really like the look then go for it.i think the picture you have is really good.

BeatlesFanGirl
May 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think that v-shapes are very pretty and feminine. They can also make some updos easier to accomplish than a straight-across hemline.

However, do be aware that if you like wearing a braid, you will see significant taper in your braid. If that doesn't bother you, then I say go for it! :)

I also think that V-shape is sexy and feminine. :)
I don't braid my hair, or I braid it when it's in a high pony, (like Lara Croft:D) because it always slips out.

Thanks everyone for your replies! :):) I still haven't decided about it - I might take the 2 weeks rule, and also talk to a professional hairdresser.