PDA

View Full Version : Say it's not so (Ficcare/metal reaction?)

intothemist1999
May 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I"m not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it seems my scalp might be reacting to the Ficcares. Maybe the metal, maybe the friction (which is minimal, I think).

Right where the tip settles on my scalp, I'm getting a few "owies". I try to insert it so that the tips come through the bun, and sit on top of at least a few hairs. I don't know how successful I am, and it doesn't seem to hold as well that way.

I have to wear my hair up just about every day (working 6 days a week), and a cinnabun and a French twist are my faves, both being quick 'n easy to do. I guess day after day with that contact on the same spot is a problem for me. I can hardly sense it from my scalp, but if I feel around at my roots, I'm finding a few tiny owies.

VanillaTresses
May 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, that would be bad! I know that with jewelery that bothers me I just paint over the part that touches my skin with a layer or two of clear nail polish. If it does end up to be something that you are allergic to in the metal, since the part that touches your head is on the back... maybe you could do this?

Don't you just love allergies!? :mad:

SimplyViki
May 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I wonder if you're getting a small version of a pressure ulcer from the tip of the Ficcare? If you're wearing one all day, every day, in the same position, it'd make sense.

jennifermarie12
May 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Try painting the ends with a bit of clear nail polish and see if it goes away. If it does, you have a nickel allergy. If it doesn't, then it is probably a pressure ulcer.

SHELIAANN1969
May 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
It could be that it's irritating because it is laying against the same spot for 10+ hours a day.

Try something different, one day a ficcare, second day hair fork, third day hair stick, then a ficcare again, maybe the difference in where the hair toy lays against your scalp will keep you from having a bad reaction.

I hope it isn't an allergy, that would stink! Good luck, let us know if you discover what the issue is.

intothemist1999
May 10th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I hope it's not an allergy, too, but I do know I nave to wear earrings for sensitive ears -- always get ones that say no nickel.

I'll leave the Fics for till it clears up, then I'll avoid wearing them every day.

Thanks!

eta: lol @ "ferret smoocher"! :D

HairColoredHair
May 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I react to the Ficcare i own. Basically, my scalp breaks out and itches. I try to insert it so that it doesn't touch my head. Sometimes it shifts and I'll have to move it so that, if it must touch, it touches various areas, not all in one spot. Haven't tried nailpolish yet, been afraid to mess with my expensive shiny! :lol:

intothemist1999
May 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Haven't tried nailpolish yet, been afraid to mess with my expensive shiny! :lol:

I hear ya! Someone at work told me to put clear polish on my costume jewellery to preserve the appearance. However, it turned my faux gold earrings almost immediately tarnished looking -- exactly what I was trying to avoid! lol

The underside part of the clip isn't especially attractive anyway, so I guess it wouldn't matter.

greygoth
May 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
This sometimes happens to me with any hair toy that rests on my scalp all day, including wood. I think it's the little pressure spot.