PDA

View Full Version : Food Service hairstyles/toys?

kateeg
May 2nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
Calling anyone in the food service industry! How do you wear your hair for work?

I worked in a confectionary shop last year with shoulder length blonde hair tied up in a ponytail with a plain (bad quality) band (pre-LHC!). This year, I'm working in a different shop for the same owners, but with a new manager, who runs his sandwich shop like a strict restaurant. I want to be able to wear hair toys for work, something small, plain and simple in black, but I'm not sure how well this would go down. It needs to be secure so I'm not faffing with it every few minutes (hygiene issues) so I was thinking a fork, as I don't really have the time to be french plaiting it back every day. I do have lots of frizzy baby hairs to control though. The staff working there at the minute don't seem to be wearing hats or hairnets (yet!- money issue resolutions mean they may well come in soon), but then the only staff at the minute are men with long hair, so I can get no clues from them.

Anyone have any greatly appreciated advice?

kdaniels8811
May 2nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I found a snood on etsy which I love! Keeps the long hair out of the way and looks really pretty, also. Just one thought.

Sarahmoon
May 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
I don't work in the food industry but I've had a temporary job at an elderly home's kitchen. We didn't wear hair nets or any other covering. Most full-time employees had short hair. I wore my hair in a bun, usually secured with a beak clip (works very well with a rope braid bun for me).

I think an updo you can do quickly and easily, secured with a clip, ficcare, fork or anything of which you're sure it will stay up at least until your lunch break will do. It looks neat and will keep your hair out of the way.

AgnesONutter
May 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I don't know what styles would work with your hair, but perhaps a french twist would secured with a beak clip and paired with a headband to keep the hairs that does escape from your face?

Merewen
May 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
I had to wear a baseball style cap, so I typically wore bee-butt buns held with a hair screw. This way it's up and out of the food and I can take my hat on/off if I want to on break/after my shift without taking my hair down. Also, it's really sturdy.

Carolyn
May 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
I would do a neat bun. Do whatever bun is the most secure for you. You need your hair contained and securely held in place. I'd say a clip or fork in a color that doesn't stand out from your hair would be good. You probably don't want to call attention to your hair at work. If you call attention to your hair you may have the manager making rules for you. Save the cute and noticable hair toys for after work.

girloctopus
May 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
I've been looking for a serving job recently, and taking notice of how other girls are wearing their hair. I see a lot of braids along the hairline going into a ponytail. I think braids are the best way to go because if any hair is shed, it can't escape into food.

When I worked at a fast food restaurant years ago that required all hair pushed up inside a baseball cap, I used to braid or make a bundled ponytail and shove it up there before pinning the hat on with roller pins. My hair was only mid-back to waist then, so I'm hard pressed to think about how I would get my tailbone length hair up there now.

I think that if you don't have to wear a hat or anything, you can get away with almost any neat bun without ends flying out.

shadowclaw
May 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I've worked in food service for what seems like forever! For a long time I had to wear a hat or visor, so I just wore a ponytail or simple bun with them. For the past year and a half I've been waitressing, so I don't have to wear a hat or hairnet anymore, although I do have to wear a hairnet when I'm cutting veggies or stocking the salad bar.

As far as hairnets go, if you do end up having to wear one, I find that they stretch wonderfully over any updo, including ones using sticks and forks. You just have to be careful with some sticks... hairnets can get stuck on the toppers and be difficult to remove.

And for hairstyles, I have to keep my hair above my shoulders, so I do lots of buns and folded braids. The Gibson tuck and the Victorian style updo are also nice, but can be time consuming sometimes. Basically any style that prevents shed hairs from falling into food is good. Ponytails are actually very bad for food service because shed hairs can still come out. Braids are much better.

You know what I think is amusing? Anytime we have an issue with hair getting into food, it's almost always from someone with short hair who's wearing a hat. The people wearing ponytails and buns have no problems even if they aren't wearing anything on their heads... but those darn short haired people keep dropping their shed hairs all over the place :p

kateeg
May 4th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Thank you all for your valuable input! I start (or re-start, as the case may be) my job a week on Friday, so I'll be spending the time stocking up on some plain simple forks and practising my french plaits. I like the idea of plaits, but sometimes it can be a little time-consuming, which is where the plain black forks (to match the uniform and blend into my un-conservative hair :P) come in- I find they're the tightest hold, and should fit nicely under a hairnet.

Thanks again!

BlueMuse
May 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM
In a pinch I've found that a doubled up pony tail or using pens instead of hair sticks will work. Just be careful they don't end up writing on your neck like they did for me. For some reason it seems I was always forgetting hair ties.

countryhopper
May 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I just notice that your length is just a bit shorter than mine, so most buns won't work :(

I can now do a french braid (even if it's just a pratial one that starts at the back of my head rather than the top) in just about 1-2 minutes. It's MUCH faster than trying a bun, having it fall, trying again, it falls again, thinking up another style, THAT one fails for one reason or another...

French, Dutch, English, and French rope braids might be your best bets now. And French twists secured with hair scroos. EZ combs might be good since they go flat against your head and are pretty secure. You can get them in black, too.

kateeg
May 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM
That's stunningly quick for a french plait, it takes me more like ten minutes! :P Must get more practice.

Think my hair's grown about an inch since I last measured and posted, will have to check... I am struggling a little with the buns, but I can manage a secure cinammon bun, and just last night I finally managed my first lazy wrap (holds like an absolute rock with a fork, but maybe that's because I have to make it so tight because my hair is *only just* long enough).

Looks like I have a nice choice of styles though now, hate wearing the same one every day and it's nice to have a choice depending on how late you get up, when wash day was, etc... :P

Ursula
May 6th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'd keep toys simple and washable, as food service work often involves a lot of steam and/or grease in the air, and you don't want your hairtoys ruined. Also, if you're going to cover your hair with a hairnet, snood or scarf (wise for hygiene reasons, even if the owner isn't buying hairnets) then you don't want hairtoys that will snag in the cover.

The "large headbands" (sometimes labeled "wide headbands" or "versatile headbands" at tznius.com) are very effective and easy for covering hair, completely, and are washable. If you know you'll be doing food service work for a while, or anything that requires covering your hair, then I'd suggest you get a few, as they are sturdier and longer lasting than buying the typical food service hairnets. They are also available in fun colors and stripes, which may fit your emotional desire for something interesting hair-toy wise, in a way that is practical for this type of work.