PDA

View Full Version : Henna and my Roots

missjessiecakes
April 26th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I get no color on my roots when I henna. I slather them just as well as any other part of my hair but absolutely nothing! I dont even get anything in the glowing orange stage nor do they glint in the sun. Is there something I can do to get my virgin portion of hair to do henna or am I out of luck?

Rusalka
April 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I have a similar problem. I only get visible colour deposit on my 2nd application and even then it is very weak on the roots and grays. Blends after a few month of colouring but I would love to get it right away! Looking forward to hearing any tips for the roots :)

girloctopus
April 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I've been trying honey treatments on the root areas since I've been having a similar issue. None of my hair was chemically dyed prior to hennaing, but I find it sticks more on the lengths that have just picked up a little weathering, so I thought that if I slightly lightened my roots area with honey treatments it might pick up the color a bit better. I'll be hennaing over it probably on Tuesday night so I'll be able to see if it worked. I hope it does! I wear my henna overnight, and it's annoying if it doesn't seem to do anything!

missjessiecakes
April 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
It is frustrating. I am just about to give up on henna altogether simply because of that. But thanks for answering guys I guess we will wait for our resident henna experts to come to our aid.

princessp
April 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
You know what, this must be the problem with my roots too. I just did a root touch up last week and I see roots already. I have been a little perplexed about it because I did not think my hair grew that fast! I just bought some Yemen henna (I was using Punjabi Prime), I'll do a root touch up at the end of this week and let you know if I get better root coverage with it.

Maybe we can start a running list of what we are using, our method, and length of time we let it sit so we can see what works best.

I've been using BAQ Punjabi Prime mixed with Cassia, Amla, and distilled H20 and leaving in for 2.5-3 hours.

So, what kinds of henna mixes are you using and how long are you leaving it in for?

TiaKitty
April 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I've got a big swath of roots. I was waiting to see if I had any greys, but I didn't find any, and I've been too lazy to touch up.

I wonder, since the roots are new and most likely coated with sebum from being close to the scalp, if a clarifying wash of just scalp hair (however that could be done... ?) would help the henna bind?

Anyone have advice about that? I guess you could condition the length, get some clarifying shampoo at the roots, and then rinse, without "stripping" the length? Maybe...

MonikaHa
April 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I did my roots last week, and it took beautifully.
I use Yemeni henna with chamomile tea pre-mixed and frozen. When I am ready, I defrost 6 cubes, add some warm water, a splash of honey and a squirt of the Suave coconut conditioner, load it up in a coloring bottle (from my dream blonde days) and put it on. Leave exactly for two hours.
I am WO so I do not wash*, the sebum does not make a difference.
Hope this help.

Defrosted henna is very potent.

Edit: * do not water wash or clarify.

missjessiecakes
April 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Lets see my mix is

BAQ Jamila
water
EO based on preference of smell that day.

My henna is frozen before hand and I mix the EO in before slathering my head

I clarify but dont condition before hennaing I leave it on for 4-6 hour depending on how long I sleep.

Fethenwen
April 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I also used defrosted henna and it colored my roots much better than usually. Also leaving it for a longer time helps and to clarify before hennaing.

But yeah, I sometimes too have trouble with henna fading too fast from my roots.

Rusalka
April 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Nowadays, I use Lush Caca Rouge, so naturally I don't have high expectations of vibrant colour. In 4 hours I get beautiful colour on the length and minimal colour on the roots. I do remember having the same issue with fresh BAQ years ago. My roots are always a different animal.

I've read people use baking soda rinse from scalp to tips to remove any residue and get a better colour that way. I would like to try rinsing just the root area with baking soda and see if that helps henna uptake. Since I've never done an application on wet hair, this might be tricky for my fine hair.

I will be doing an application soon, I will be leaving it for 6-8 hours instead. I am hoping double the time, would give the equivalent of two applications back to back.

halo_tightens
April 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM
My roots never take as well as the rest of my hair, either. I've just sort of gotten used to it...

Once they've gotten hit with a second application, they look just fine. (I only do the first few inches of hair each time.)

Oskimosa
April 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM
For me, freshly washed hair is fairly important. I also wait a few days to wash afterwards.

Another thing: when doing my roots, I always end up coating some of the hennaed length also, making the roots appear lighter when really the stuff next to it has had several applications, if you look at it that way. As it grows out it all evens up.

princessp
April 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Okay, I definitely had better luck with roots this time! Here is what I did:

1. Washed hair with Alba cone free clarifying shampoo
2. Used BAQ Yemen Henna (mixed with cassia, amla, and distilled H20. Same mix as last time, except the henna. I used BAQ Punjabi Prime last time)
3. Squeezed a little lemon into mix right before application
4. Applied mix on semi-damp hair
5. Covered with plastic wrap, a shower cap, and then a terry cloth head covering and left on for 3 hours (during the last 1/2 hour, I combined the remaining henna mixture with cone-free conditioner and applied this to the remainder of my hair)
6. Rinsed out with cone-free conditioner (no shampoo)

The root coverage is excellent, but I'll report back in a few days and let you know if it still looks this good or if I get fading.

Oskimosa I may have already told you this, but your color is seriously to die for, wow!

ETA: I also have some grey, so the coverage was better for pigmented root hair as well as grey.

henna4grey
May 1st, 2010, 04:33 AM
I have the roots problem too. I henndigo'd yesterday (it was my 2nd henndigo), and my roots remained gray.

I had about 1cm (0.4") gray roots which I wanted to henndigo. But they look like nothing has touched them :(

myrrhmaiden
May 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM
I have noticed this as well and I always thought it had to do with the newness of the root hair. Its porosity is really low, and also it is the very first application that hair receives.

halo_tightens
May 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
I have noticed this as well and I always thought it had to do with the newness of the root hair. Its porosity is really low, and also it is the very first application that hair receives.

Right, exactly. Once the hair has been around for a little while, exposed to life, and it gets hit with a second dose of henna, it looks just fine. :)

Idun
May 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Lets see my mix is

BAQ Jamila
water
EO based on preference of smell that day.

My henna is frozen before hand and I mix the EO in before slathering my head

I clarify but dont condition before hennaing I leave it on for 4-6 hour depending on how long I sleep.

I thought you had to wait 12 hours for Jamila henna to dye release? That´s what I read on henna Sooq´s site anyway.

ETA: Oh wait, now I see, you let it sit in hair for 4-6 hours. How long did you let the mix stand before you used it?

princessp
May 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
I thought you had to wait 12 hours for Jamila henna to dye release? That´s what I read on henna Sooq´s site anyway.

This is what I thought too, but I've read a few posts on here that seem to suggest some people don't wait the 12 hours. I do let mine sit overnight for dye release.

halo_tightens
May 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
This is what I thought too, but I've read a few posts on here that seem to suggest some people don't wait the 12 hours. I do let mine sit overnight for dye release.

If I was going to use it without freezing, then I'd definitely give it plenty of time for dye release.

I've just found that freezing and thawing gives even better dye release and stain, so I always do it that way. I also like not having to wait any specified length of time! Once it's been frozen, it's ready to use the next day OR the next month.

missjessiecakes
May 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
I freeze before use. The last stuff I used had sat in the freezer a couple days.

henna4grey
May 2nd, 2010, 05:26 AM
I always thought it had to do with the newness of the root hair. Its porosity is really low

I wonder why many don't have this root issue? Is it some people's root hair is more porous than others'?

ETA: I had 0 knowledge about hair porosity, so I take my question back now:)

Those of us who have somewhat henna/indigo-resistant roots, could check our hair/root porosity. Here's the most simple test I've just found online:

"You can check the porosity of your hair by taking a few strands of hair, one from the back, top and sides of your head, and dropping them in a bowl of water. If they sink within 5 to 10 seconds, then your hair is overly porous."

missjessiecakes
May 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I wonder why many don't have this root issue? Is it some people's root hair is more porous than others'?
That is my guess. Just as some peoples hair is more porous than others. My virgin hair isnt very porous and never was. So it makes sense that my roots would be henna proof.

GRU
May 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Since I started using a color application bottle (gotta love Sally's!), I've gotten much better coverage near my scalp. I actually draw "lines" on my scalp with it, about a centimeter apart, and then squoosh it all around. You'd think it wouldn't really matter that much what you use to apply it, but for me at least, it really did make a difference.

moonlight
May 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have been hennaing my roots (and occasionally the length) for several years. I get good coverage nearly every time. Here's what I do.

Mix henna (I use a 50-50 of henna and cassia) with lemon juice or ACV (Use ACV if the lemon juice is too drying...I add a bit of cinnamon for fragrance if I use ACV because I don't like the way vinigar smells) Mix it to about yoghurt-consistancy.

cover it and put it in a warm place for AT LEAST 24 hours....I usually leave it sitting near my electronics because it's always warm there, for 36 or 48 hours)

If I need to thin it, I use a little water then after it sits. You will see the dye release because the mud will be dark dark brown or even black looking. With this method, I get great coverage on my ash brown AND substantial gray roots in an hour.

If you are not getting good color out of your BAQ henna, then you are not getting good dye release. For dye release, you need acid (lemon juice or ACV) and time. Warmer room temp, a little less time....colder room temp, a little more time.

Next time, mix your henna with lemon juice only and let it sit for a day and a half. See if that gives you good hot roots :) After you get a reliable method for good dye release, then you can mess with the recipe for color bump or shine or conditioning or whatever.

Also, you need fresh henna and you need to store your henna powder correctly. I just use an airtight container. I've never frozen my mix, but I have heard that for some reason freezing enhances the dye release (as some have mentioned)

I hope this helps! :)

redtea
May 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
This happened to me when I used henna/cassia. All I did to get it to stick was was wash my hair immediately beforehand with a clarifying cone free shampoo (a little conditioner on the ends won't hurt if you need it), towel try my hair, and then apply the henna with a tint brush just like you would with conventional haircolor. I always tried to get the henna down to a thinner yogurt consistency for better coverage.

moonlight
May 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I added a pic to my siggie so you can see the color I get.

This is henna/cassia over brown hair in back, gray hair in front. I've been hennaing for 6 years or so.

henna4grey
May 11th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Last week, I tried two-step henndigo. My gray/white roots were covered very well with the 1st step (henna) only, but they remained indifferent to indigo.

I had mixed 3Tbsp henna with 150ml warm to hot tap water and 1tsp ACV. No waiting for dye release. I started applying it on my dry and dirty/oily roots maybe 10min later, covered with a plastic cap and towel, and rinsed after 3 hours. I'm sure less time would've done a good job, too, for my whites turned so so richly saturated with henna orange-red color. My hairline cotton rolls were orange well before I rinsed my hair.

burns_erin
May 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
This is my method that works well for my roots.

1. Mix henna ahead of time and freeze it.
........a)Use good quality henna
........b)Add cloves to the mix to make it ever so slightly acidic, but no lemon juice for me
........c)Add a tablespoon of honey
2. Defrost henna just ahead of time.
3. Clarify hair well before application
4. Let hair air dry till just damp before applying.
5. Leave it on as long as you can stand.
6. Rinse gently then don't wsh for several days.
7. Sometimes I add an ACV rinse.

Star Eagle
May 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I never have this problem.... however I use henna that is already mixed all I have to do is add water mix and apply.. leaving on for only 1 hour... try this kind hennahut.com