PDA

View Full Version : MSM takers; does it increase your growth rate?

LadyJennifer
April 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I was just doing some reading on MSM (didn't realize it was sulfur before), and read that it helps your skin and hair. I've seen a few people on LHC say they take it, so I was wondering, does it increase your growth rate? If so, how much?
So basically I want to know, what was your growth rate before MSM? And what is your growth rate while taking it?
Thanks!

SophieSpector
April 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
intrested in this post, I hope it gets some decent replies as I've just started taking MSM

phistash
April 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
intrested in this post, I hope it gets some decent replies as I've just started taking MSM

I posted not long ago about a study that was completed in 2009, that showed that MSM does indeed cause hair to re-grow, so its efficacy isn't really in question. It's also not toxic, so you can take pretty much any reasonable dosage and be fine.

I've been taking it for a couple of months myself, but I honestly don't know how much difference there is in my growth rate. It seems about the same, around .75" a month, but my hair is wavy and very hard to measure accurately.

Carolyn
April 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I've been taking it for several years. I don't get any faster growth. I've gotten 1/2" growth almost every month for years, probably for my entire life. However I grow better hair, meaning the strands are thicker and I've greatly decreased my shed rate. That alone keeps me taking it.

phistash
April 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I've been taking it for several years. I don't get any faster growth. I've gotten 1/2" growth almost every month for years, probably for my entire life. However I grow better hair, meaning the strands are thicker and I've greatly decreased my shed rate. That alone keeps me taking it.

Do you remember how long after starting to take it you noticed a decrease in shedding? I'd love to see that effect.

Carolyn
April 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Do you remember how long after starting to take it you noticed a decrease in shedding? I'd love to see that effect.I think it was about 4 months in to taking it. I knew that most vitamins and supplements take at least that long if not longer to show results.

Vermelha
April 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
It decreased my shedding rate and really helped my skin to the point where I don't need to take MSM anymore. I noticed thicker hair but not so much faster growth. You'll only experience faster growth if you don't already get adequate amount of sulfur in your diet.

restourceful
April 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
What would one have to eat to get sulfur in your diet? And this is not related to sulfa as in the antibiotic is it?

LadyJennifer
April 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
No, MSM is not in any way an antibiotic.
Lots of veggies have sulfur, but because of storing, cooking, etc, the sulfur is lost.

Fairlight63
April 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I have been taking the NSI brand of MSM, 1,000mg from Vitacost for about a yr. & I haven't seen any results from it. I was thinking of buying a different brand the next time when these run out.
So, I was wondering those of you that are taking it & seeing results what brand of MSM do you take & where did you buy it - also how much are you taking, how many mg?

LadyJennifer
April 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have been taking the NSI brand of MSM, 1,000mg from Vitacost for about a yr. & I haven't seen any results from it. I was thinking of buying a different brand the next time when these run out.
So, I was wondering those of you that are taking it & seeing results what brand of MSM do you take & where did you buy it - also how much are you taking, how many mg?

Oooh, good question!

I've read really good things about the Doctor's Best brand. I'm planning on ordering it. I'm eager to see what others have to say!

Lassie
April 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
i take this
http://www.healthspan.co.uk/Perfect-Partners/msm-tablets-800mg-the-perfe/ProductDetail-p338-c3193433.aspx

i chose it after much research stating that 'optimsm' was the purest form, and therefore the most effective.

noticed a difference after 3 weeks (taking 2400mg a day)

Firstly i noticed that i needed to shave my underarms every other day instead of once a week...cut my nails twice a week instead of once, and my eyelashes increased in lenght to..

as for the hair i got 4cms (1.6inches) growth in one month, will see what it is this month..

noticably less shedding also....

im also taking hair formula 37, so cant say which did the trick...BUT my dad started taking msm for his joints and says that the hair growth is ubelievable (and undesired in his case LOL)

WaitingSoLong
April 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I read an article on the difference between sulfa (like in antibiotics) and sulfur. They are NOT the same. I am allergic to sulfa drugs but NOT to sulfur. The artcile said sulfur is not really something you can be allergic to because it is part of us naturally (like calcium). Going to see if I can find that article....

I found it: http://www.itmonline.org/arts/sulfa.htm

restourceful
April 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the article, Waitingsolong. That makes sense, since we had to apply sulfur to our garden plot last year after our soil test. My mother was allergic to sulfa, so it has been recommended I avoid it because of that. Hence my question above.

blackhound
April 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I've been taking MSM for about 3 weeks. Haven't noticed anything yet related to my hair *still hoping* but I have noticed a bare spot on my right eyebrow that I've had for decades has filled in. And my brows in general are not as sparse.

Topaz
April 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
This is what I just posted in another section of this forum:

I just started taking MSM this week, mostly for the arthritis benefits. I got it in Monday's mail after work and started taking it then. Believe it or not, by the next morning I could get out of bed without hobbling around like a 100 year old woman! I've noticed since then that my aches and pains, both arthritis related or not, have greatly diminished.

I don't know if it was the MSM or not, but on that same Monday night I COed, and afterwards with my hair dripping wet and bone straight, I measured it at 32 1/4 inches. On Thursday night I COed again, and afterwards with my hair dripping wet and bone straight, it measured just a hair's breath short of a full 33 inches. Both night's I measured twice, and both times Monday it was consistent, and both measurements on Thursday were also consistent. I can't say it was the MSM, but that sure is a lot of growth in only two days!

However, I am forever a skeptic, and I will reserve final judgement until I've COed next time and re-measured. If it comes out even longer than 33 inches then I may start singing MSM's praises. Anyone else notice this kind of hair growth, or did I fall through into the Twilight Zone for a couple of days? :confused:

LadyJennifer
April 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I've been taking MSM for about 3 weeks. Haven't noticed anything yet related to my hair *still hoping* but I have noticed a bare spot on my right eyebrow that I've had for decades has filled in. And my brows in general are not as sparse.

This is what I just posted in another section of this forum:

I just started taking MSM this week, mostly for the arthritis benefits. I got it in Monday's mail after work and started taking it then. Believe it or not, by the next morning I could get out of bed without hobbling around like a 100 year old woman! I've noticed since then that my aches and pains, both arthritis related or not, have greatly diminished.

I don't know if it was the MSM or not, but on that same Monday night I COed, and afterwards with my hair dripping wet and bone straight, I measured it at 32 1/4 inches. On Thursday night I COed again, and afterwards with my hair dripping wet and bone straight, it measured just a hair's breath short of a full 33 inches. Both night's I measured twice, and both times Monday it was consistent, and both measurements on Thursday were also consistent. I can't say it was the MSM, but that sure is a lot of growth in only two days!

However, I am forever a skeptic, and I will reserve final judgement until I've COed next time and re-measured. If it comes out even longer than 33 inches then I may start singing MSM's praises. Anyone else notice this kind of hair growth, or did I fall through into the Twilight Zone for a couple of days? :confused:

What brands are you guys taking?

Topaz
April 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I bought mine from Vitacost. It seemed like a very good deal with 240 capsules for only $10. It says it is the OptiMSM which is supposed to be the best, and each capsule is 1,000 mg. I'm taking 3 capsules a day.

Other brands might be better, but to try it out, and not knowing if I will benefit from it or not, I chose the cheaper route. So far so good, especially with the arthritis aches and pains.

LadyJennifer
April 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I bought mine from Vitacost. It seemed like a very good deal with 240 capsules for only $10. It says it is the OptiMSM which is supposed to be the best, and each capsule is 1,000 mg. I'm taking 3 capsules a day.

Other brands might be better, but to try it out, and not knowing if I will benefit from it or not, I chose the cheaper route. So far so good, especially with the arthritis aches and pains.

The NSI brand?

Fairlight63
April 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
That is exactly the same one that I am taking from Vitacost. I haven't noticed any change in my knee arthritis pain & stiffness BUT I am only taking 1 1,000 mg. tab. a day. Also no change in hair growth.
Looks like I need to up my dose, maybe that would help.

blackhound
April 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
What brands are you guys taking?

Trader Joe's MSM. 1000mg per tablet and I take 3 tablets per day.

my2cats1
April 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
KAL's Super Silica Plus. It has MSM and two forms of silica. :cheese:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=KA-1857

LadyJennifer
April 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I just got my MSM today! I got the NSI OptiMSM kind. I took two, and I can't wait to see if it helps me reach my goal faster! :)

LunarAurora
April 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I'm still waiting for mine (Opti MSM ordered at Vitacost), I hope my packet is not lost ! lol

Bast
April 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I posted in the other thread, mostly about my mental state (which is, admittedly, questionable.)

However, I haven't noticed any differences in the hair I'm trying to grow out or in my nails, but I just started taking 3000 mg/day, before that it was a blend of glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, exact amounts of each the label didn't say. The stuff that I just got was the Solaray pure/ultrastrength MSM.

I have, however, noticed that my eyebrows are growing much faster. Well, with every good comes a downside. (I'm prone to the Bert-of-Sesame-Street unibrow, so much plucking and threading :eyebrows:)

jaine
April 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I noticed a lot of trouble concentrating on methodical/logical tasks when I was taking more than 1000mg/day of MSM. Did anyone notice the same thing?
Mostly concentration difficulty with computer stuff for my job ... I would switch to a different window on my computer and then forget why and forget what I was doing. I usually keep track of what I'm currently doing in notepad since I might be 6 or 7 levels deep in logical tangents at any given time ... have to fix C before I can fix B and have to fix B before I can fix A, etc ... but I even with that list I was still completely lost and I felt like I still couldn't remember what I was doing even when I was looking at a list of it. It wasn't good - I need that part of my brain to pay the bills. So I stopped taking MSM. Then I was back to normal the next day.

LadyJennifer
April 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I noticed a lot of trouble concentrating on methodical/logical tasks when I was taking more than 1000mg/day of MSM. Did anyone notice the same thing?
Mostly concentration difficulty with computer stuff for my job ... I would switch to a different window on my computer and then forget why and forget what I was doing. I usually keep track of what I'm currently doing in notepad since I might be 6 or 7 levels deep in logical tangents at any given time ... have to fix C before I can fix B and have to fix B before I can fix A, etc ... but I even with that list I was still completely lost and I felt like I still couldn't remember what I was doing even when I was looking at a list of it. It wasn't good - I need that part of my brain to pay the bills. So I stopped taking MSM. Then I was back to normal the next day.

Very interesting. What kind were you taking? Maybe it was an additive, not the actual MSM?
I'll have to keep track of my brain power, lol. I just am finally getting over pregnant brain (my ds is 9 months!), so I don't want to go back to that!

jera
April 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Trader Joe's MSM. 1000mg per tablet and I take 3 tablets per day.

That's a lot. MSM can cause unplesant side effects if you take too much. I take 500 mcg a day and my hair has growth
2 1/2 - 3 inches since Dec. I'm satisfied with that. :p

LadyJennifer
April 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM
That's a lot. MSM can cause unplesant side effects if you take too much. I take 500 mcg a day and my hair has growth
2 1/2 - 3 inches since Dec. I'm satisfied with that. :p

I have actually read the opposite, that you really can't take too much, and has no side effects. Mind sharing where you read/heard that?

Bellona
April 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I had been taking it for a couple months, but I don't really measure my hair. However, I did stop taking it because I was sick of shaving/eyebrow plucking/nail cutting CONSTANTLY. So I guess it works. I might suck it up and add it back in. Made my skin feel softer too :D

Frying Pan Paul
April 17th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I will be following this thread. Sounds interesting.

jenjen10
April 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
This thread inspired me to order MSM (and biotin!) from Vitacost... I will be stalking my mailman over the next week and then start taking them so I can see what results I can get. :)

Kirry-Folk
April 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Not for me! However, it dramatically decreases the shed rate of my hair.

LadyJennifer
April 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Not for me! However, it dramatically decreases the shed rate of my hair.
mind sharing why it's not for you?

LadyJennifer
April 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I posted in the other thread, mostly about my mental state (which is, admittedly, questionable.)

However, I haven't noticed any differences in the hair I'm trying to grow out or in my nails, but I just started taking 3000 mg/day, before that it was a blend of glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, exact amounts of each the label didn't say. The stuff that I just got was the Solaray pure/ultrastrength MSM.

I have, however, noticed that my eyebrows are growing much faster. Well, with every good comes a downside. (I'm prone to the Bert-of-Sesame-Street unibrow, so much plucking and threading :eyebrows:)

What other thread? I tried searching, but it's too short...

jaine
April 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Very interesting. What kind were you taking? Maybe it was an additive, not the actual MSM?
I'll have to keep track of my brain power, lol. I just am finally getting over pregnant brain (my ds is 9 months!), so I don't want to go back to that!

I was taking Whole Foods 365 brand. I'm not sure if it was the additives ... I have other vitamins from Whole Foods with the same additives in the ingredients list that never gave me the same side effect.
I also didn't notice any difference with 99% of tasks ... with driving, talking, meetings, finding my keys, etc I felt fine ... it was only with very methodical, logical, abstract things like software development that MSM made me feel scatterbrained.

Another reason I stopped taking it is that I already get more than enough sulfur from my diet ... eggs, meat, fish, garlic, & nuts contain sulfur and I eat plenty.

aef231
April 18th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I haven't really noticed increased hair growth yet, although my nails seem to be growing pretty fast. I've only been taking it for about a month though, so we'll see. I'll update if anything changes. I'm at 1000 mgs a day, by the way.

Debra83
April 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I have actually read the opposite, that you really can't take too much, and has no side effects. Mind sharing where you read/heard that?

I'm the same as you, I read that it doesn't have any side effects only good effects.

Debra83
April 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
mind sharing why it's not for you?

I think she means it hasn't increased her growth rate - the thread question.

LadyJennifer
April 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I think she means it hasn't increased her growth rate - the thread question.
Ahhh, that makes sense. Silly me:p

Crazycatlady
April 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I don't remember who mentioned it in a past post, but someone cautioned everybody about depression as a possible side effect. shudder:

LadyJennifer
April 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I don't remember who mentioned it in a past post, but someone cautioned everybody about depression as a possible side effect. shudder:

I saw that, but it was not referenced. I'm not going to just believe something without some sort of reference - especially since I've done some research and have not read anything of the sort. To each their own, though:)
I mean, if it's a mineral naturally found in your body, why would it cause depression?

Cirafly24
April 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have been taking 2 1000mg capsules of OptiMSM from Vitacost daily for about a month. I have noticed an increase in the growth of the hair on my head, as well as body hair (not as fun!). However, I started taking 1000mcg of biotin at the same time, so I don't know which is causing the growth. Could be both.

I haven't measured in a week or so, but I had a full inch of growth in the first 3 weeks. I thought it was a measuring error, but even my fiance noticed my hair looked longer, and the demarcation line where my natural hair color meets dyed color is lower.

In2JC724
April 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I started taking MSM in powder form about 9 years ago, and I took it for about 4 months. I only took it for that long because of cost.. the person I was getting it from was in effect ripping me off, as MSM is NOT expensive. In the four months I was taking it my hair grew about 1.25 inches in a month.

Fast forward to last October, I found two pounds of 99.9% pure MSM powder at Grange Co-op for $18. I've been taking two tbls a day since and have seen a lot faster growth, and less shedding.. it's also helped with allergies too. Around Dec I started taking biotin, and noticed even faster growth, and less shedding.

I've also taken MSM in the pill form and saw some results, but I think it works much better in the powder form.

As for the other posters who are saying that "Oh you can't take too much, or else" Everything I've found on MSM says that it is water soluble, which means if you have too much in your system, your body will flush it out... just like vitamin C. Just my :twocents:

Lykaios
April 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I started taking 1000mg of msm (swiss brand) earlier in the month. From March 1st to April 1st, I had barely any growth, lie 1mm or so. Granted, I did do a micro dusting mid March. Now, however, I have 3/4" more hair. I hope its from the msm, but we'll see in coming months. I have also had 50% less shedding, but I think that is attributed solely to the henna.

ladycaladium
April 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Are you all talking about the same MSM found in Osteo Bi-Flex (just started taking that the other day for my joints)? It's listed as Methylsulfonylmethane on the box.

LadyJennifer
April 19th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Are you all talking about the same MSM found in Osteo Bi-Flex (just started taking that the other day for my joints)? It's listed as Methylsulfonylmethane on the box.
Yes, Methylsulfonylmethane is MSM.

ladycaladium
April 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you LadyJennifer, thats what I thought, just wanted it confirmed.

Rapunzal2Be
April 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I saw that, but it was not referenced. I'm not going to just believe something without some sort of reference - especially since I've done some research and have not read anything of the sort. To each their own, though:)
I mean, if it's a mineral naturally found in your body, why would it cause depression?

As far as I remember, the person who said depression was a side effect was talking about her own experience. So, I don't think a reference or research was really necessary.

NuclearMosquito
April 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I've been taking MSM and biotin for about 3 weeks, and my nails at least have grown quite a bit; faster than usual, I'd say. I'll measure my hair the first week of May and see how that has grown.

LadyJennifer
April 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
As far as I remember, the person who said depression was a side effect was talking about her own experience. So, I don't think a reference or research was really necessary.

The post I saw was not from experience.
It was this one,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45521&page=2
post 12.
Two posters beneath her said they had the opposite of depression/their depression was much better.
The sites I've found (medical sites, not sites selling it) say there are no researched or confirmed side effects, but some anecdotal side effects reported of loose bowels and such - no depression though, even in those.

phistash
April 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I have access to pretty much every online science journal there is, and I have searched through several databases for studies on the link between MSM and depression and have found nothing. I have, however, found several studies on MSM and hair growth, and MSM and osteoarthritis. Not surprisingly, the results were inconclusive for some of these studies, but in general, it is thought that MSM *does* improve hair growth and *does* help with joint pain. Anyone interested in references can PM me, as they are lengthy and the abstracts would make for a very long post!

ItalianFlower
April 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM
What is MSM?

Rebelkat
April 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I started taking MSM 1000mg twice a day about 13 days ago. It's really too early to see major results, but I DO think my shedding has decreased slightly and my lashes seem ever so slightly longer. I'll keep an eye on things and let you guys know.

SeaShell
April 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
this might be a silly question but where can you buy MSM by itself? I've only seen it couples with biotin, and I can;t take biotin because it makes me break out..I definitely saw quicker growth though when I took the biotin/MSM supplements, but bad skin was not worth the growth increase.

Forever_Sophie
April 21st, 2010, 07:53 AM
The post I saw was not from experience.
It was this one,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45521&page=2
post 12.
Two posters beneath her said they had the opposite of depression/their depression was much better.
The sites I've found (medical sites, not sites selling it) say there are no researched or confirmed side effects, but some anecdotal side effects reported of loose bowels and such - no depression though, even in those.

Also, I googled MSM side effects, and you should avoid it if you have any heart or liver conditions. I was sold on this but think I might avoid (for the former).

Bast
April 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
this might be a silly question but where can you buy MSM by itself? I've only seen it couples with biotin, and I can;t take biotin because it makes me break out..I definitely saw quicker growth though when I took the biotin/MSM supplements, but bad skin was not worth the growth increase.

You can get it online or in health food stores. Some bone and joint formulas also have MSM in them, you will have to read the labels, though.

phistash
April 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM

I was on a trip recently and needed some more MSM, and the only form of it that I could find in the health food store was powder. It's just MSM powder, the brand is NOW. I like it this way, actually, as it is virtually flavorless, so I just dissolve about 1/2 tablespoon in a glass of water or some juice, and use that to down my other daily vitamins.

NOW has a website that allows you to find a store that carries their products. I don't think you can order directly from them, but I am sure there are other online stores that stock NOW products.

LadyJennifer
April 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
I have access to pretty much every online science journal there is, and I have searched through several databases for studies on the link between MSM and depression and have found nothing. I have, however, found several studies on MSM and hair growth, and MSM and osteoarthritis. Not surprisingly, the results were inconclusive for some of these studies, but in general, it is thought that MSM *does* improve hair growth and *does* help with joint pain. Anyone interested in references can PM me, as they are lengthy and the abstracts would make for a very long post!

Thanks for the info!

Rebelkat
April 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
If you live in the US, places like WalMart have it. That's where I got the bottle I'm taking now. I just ordered some from Swanson Vitamins (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/) and it was a pretty good deal (especially good if you plan to order other vitamins, too). 240 pills (120 days worth since I take two a day) for $9.50+shipping.

JBO
April 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
What is the dosage that seems to work best? The bottle says 3 tablets, each 100mg per day. Does that sound about right? Have people had better results taking more? Can you OD on MSM?

Celtic_Willow
April 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I started taking MSM in powder form about 9 years ago, and I took it for about 4 months. I only took it for that long because of cost.. the person I was getting it from was in effect ripping me off, as MSM is NOT expensive. In the four months I was taking it my hair grew about 1.25 inches in a month.

Fast forward to last October, I found two pounds of 99.9% pure MSM powder at Grange Co-op for $18. I've been taking two tbls a day since and have seen a lot faster growth, and less shedding.. it's also helped with allergies too. Around Dec I started taking biotin, and noticed even faster growth, and less shedding.

I've also taken MSM in the pill form and saw some results, but I think it works much better in the powder form.

As for the other posters who are saying that "Oh you can't take too much, or else" Everything I've found on MSM says that it is water soluble, which means if you have too much in your system, your body will flush it out... just like vitamin C. Just my :twocents:

I just bought MSM today for the first time after reading this thread! I just picked up a bottle of pure MSM Powder made by NOW and found that the powder was very hard, like how sugar granules clump together. I had to scrape some off the top to get it out and am wondering is this is normal? The safety seal was intact, but has anyone else who is taking the msm in powder form noticed this?

In2JC724
April 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Yes that's normal, its just moisture from humidity that causes UT to clump up. Just break it up with a spoon and stir well in your juice. It will dissolve in liquid. Hth :)

In2JC724
April 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry...wont let me edit...I meant 'it' clumps up, not 'ut' lol

Celtic_Willow
April 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Oh, ok! Thank you! I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. What's HTh by the way?

In2JC724
April 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hth is hope this helps. :)

JBO
April 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I up-ed how much MSM I was taking to what it said on the bottle and I started to have bizarre side effects. I think someone else on this thread mentioned this too but I started to act crazy! I was really volatile and aggressive, I even had an anxiety attack. I am sure a big portion of this was environmental and the reason for the anxiety attack was a lot more then just MSM, but I stopped taking all together the next day and I felt mentally calmer and back to normal.

I don't know if this is normal and I could not find any articles mentioning mood changes as an MSM side effect but just curious if anyone else had this.

Thanks

LadyJennifer
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I never had any mood changes or anything - I have had more energy though. Maybe it just happened because you thought it might?

JBO
April 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I never had any mood changes or anything - I have had more energy though. Maybe it just happened because you thought it might?
That might be it. It could have been a thousand other things. I think it is like every other supplement, it just effects everyone differently. Plus I am on regular medications that it might have reacted with.

I would just say people should try it, if it helps w/ growth etc. keep going if not chuck it. It only cost $5 so it wasn't a huge loss.

chrissy-b
October 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Just wondering if any posters in this threat are still taking MSM and what, if any, are the results after six months of use?

kookyjelk
October 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm really interested in trying MSM after reading this thread, but I'm still nursing my son. Does anyone have any experience with taking MSM while pregnant and/or breastfeeding? I can't find much online about it.

phistash
October 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Well, nothing seems to help my shedding. I am resigned to being an excessive shedder who always has a halo of new growth. My length hasn't grown as much as I would like, but I do know that I have good overall growth, as I had very short bangs back February, and they are now chin length. That's about 7" in 8 months. I take other vitamins as well, but my skin and nails are in excellent shape.
I don't know how much it is helping. I do know that I bought a huge jar of the powder form MSM, and since it is water soluble and non-toxic, I will keep taking it until I run out, and then reassess the situation.

chrissy-b
October 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Seven inches in 8 months is great growth, phistash! Is that faster than your normal growth rate? If you don't mind me asking: what other supplements are you taking?

phistash
October 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
It's really hard to say what effect the MSM alone has had, because I also take a (high-quality) multivitamin, fish oil, and a "hair, skin, and nails" pill with biotin. I also have a very healthy diet, with lots of protein, iron, fresh vegetables, grains, etc. And I exercise.

But yes, 7" in 8 months is a bit more than my normal growth rate, which ranges from 1/2" during slow times to .75".

And it's not just the hair on my head that is thriving.:D

Dreamkitty
October 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I am on my way to buying MSM pills.

First of all I eat alot of green vegetables, sulfur containing foods. My mum cooks them.

Is there such a thing as having "Too Much Sulfur?".

Because if I already eat Sulfur containing foods and then take additional MSM supplement with it, could it be dangerous and actually slow down my hair growth?

LadyJennifer
October 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I have been taking sulfur for months now, with no adverse effects. My hair seems to be growing nicely, and I had a bout of shedding, but it seems to be done now. I think it was just a fall shed.
From what I've read you can't have too much sulfur. It's something your body needs and whatever it does not need it just flushes out. I breastfeed my son and my daughter, if that answers your question kookyjelk.
They are both strong and healthy and never sick.
It's something you get in foods, and the 3rd most prevelent mineral in your body, so I cannot imagine it harming anything.

This is just my opinion though, I'm not a health proffessional.

Dreamkitty
October 28th, 2010, 10:17 AM
LadyJennifer, how long did it take to see your hair get longer?:) and how much did you take?

kookyjelk
October 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
From what I've read you can't have too much sulfur. It's something your body needs and whatever it does not need it just flushes out. I breastfeed my son and my daughter, if that answers your question kookyjelk.
They are both strong and healthy and never sick.
It's something you get in foods, and the 3rd most prevelent mineral in your body, so I cannot imagine it harming anything.

This is just my opinion though, I'm not a health proffessional.

Thanks for the response, LadyJennifer. I think I'll give MSM a try and see how it works out. My hair is 5 in. at its longest so I'm pretty desperate. :)

emmabovary
October 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure if MSM helps my growth rate, but I *think* my hair's been growing a bit faster since I've been taking it. My nails definitely have.

chrissy-b
October 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! :flower:

I just recently started taking MSM again. I took it along with biotin and got nasty headaches and terrible acne so I stopped both. This time around, I don't have either. It seems I can only take small doses of biotin without breaking out and it's a shame because so many other people have success with it.

LadyJennifer
October 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
LadyJennifer, how long did it take to see your hair get longer?:) and how much did you take?
I'm not sure because I don't really measure. I started taking it in mid April. I've seen a lot of growth since then, and it definitely seemed to have sped up. I take two 1,000mg a day - once in the morning and once at night.

chrissy-b
November 11th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I started taking MSM about four weeks ago (along with a multi, fish and flax oils) and although I haven't noticed a change in my head hair, I have noticed a change in my underarm hair. I usually shave once a week because that hair barely grows but I just shaved on Sunday and now my underarm hair isn't just longer than usual, it's thicker too. My leg hair is so light that I can't tell a difference there.

This is too soon to be noticing a difference isn't it? I thought it took months for supplements to kick in. Has anyone else noticed effects this quickly with MSM?

LadyJennifer
November 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I noticed a difference within a couple/few weeks taking msm. That is a normal amount of time to notice a difference with a supplement I would think.

oceanwoman111
November 11th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I up-ed how much MSM I was taking to what it said on the bottle and I started to have bizarre side effects. I think someone else on this thread mentioned this too but I started to act crazy! I was really volatile and aggressive, I even had an anxiety attack. I am sure a big portion of this was environmental and the reason for the anxiety attack was a lot more then just MSM, but I stopped taking all together the next day and I felt mentally calmer and back to normal.

I don't know if this is normal and I could not find any articles mentioning mood changes as an MSM side effect but just curious if anyone else had this.

Thanks

Hmm. Wow. That's very interesting. I was taking a low dosage 500mg of MSM and wasn't happy with the growth so I increased the dosage to 1,000 3 times a day. I did see a difference in growth. I have anxiety issues ,but I was doing very well with them for a year ,but I noticed since I increased the dose, I've been getting the onset of panic attacks. I felt that aggression feeling as well.

I'm sure everyone's body reacts differently, but I'm really glad you posted this because I was thinking, "Why is my anxiety coming back?" It was the only change that I made. I'm happier that I've been in a long time, doing yoga, and hadn't had problems for a long time. Bottom line - I think I will decrease the dose.

Thank you so much for posting!! :flower:

LocustSpawning
November 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I've been taking some for 2 months or so and just had a massive growth spurt - not sure if that contributed to it or not though, since I'm doing a lot of other things. It was also a cheap own-brand supermarket make. I just ordered some from the Healthspan UK website though, and woo, delivery is free!

chrissy-b
November 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hmm. Wow. That's very interesting. I was taking a low dosage 500mg of MSM and wasn't happy with the growth so I increased the dosage to 1,000 3 times a day. I did see a difference in growth. I have anxiety issues ,but I was doing very well with them for a year ,but I noticed since I increased the dose, I've been getting the onset of panic attacks. I felt that aggression feeling as well.

I'm sure everyone's body reacts differently, but I'm really glad you posted this because I was thinking, "Why is my anxiety coming back?" It was the only change that I made. I'm happier that I've been in a long time, doing yoga, and hadn't had problems for a long time. Bottom line - I think I will decrease the dose.

Thank you so much for posting!! :flower:

There is another thread about MSM causing depression in some users, but I haven't heard about it causing anxiety attacks.

Thank you both for sharing your experience!

chrissy-b
November 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I've been taking some for 2 months or so and just had a massive growth spurt - not sure if that contributed to it or not though, since I'm doing a lot of other things. It was also a cheap own-brand supermarket make. I just ordered some from the Healthspan UK website though, and woo, delivery is free!

What else are you taking, if you don't mind me asking. :)

lhangel9
November 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
(What would one have to eat to get sulfur in your diet?)

Eggs.......................

ChloeDharma
November 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Here (http://www.healthyeatingclub.org/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5g.html) is a link to a chart listing food sources of sulphur.
I really must start taking my MSM again.

Calaelen
November 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
MSM is as safe as drinking pure water. Because of its inert nature, MSM is non-allergenic, non-pyretic, and has no interfering or undesirable pharmacological effects. It can even be used as a safe blood diluent. You cannot overdose with MSM. The body will use what it needs, and after 12 hours, will flush any excess amounts out of the body. MSM will flush what the body does not retain semi-permanently every 12 hours, and because it is a free radical and foreign protein scavenger, MSM cleans the blood stream, so allergies to food and pollens go away in about 3 or 4 days. To maintain good, healthy cells, take MSM in the morning and the evening.

Even doses as large as 40 000 mg have been taken with no ill effects. For optimum hair growth, and to benefit skin and nails, the recommended dose is 4000 mg. (this could be why those taking lower doses have not seen results.)

All that said, MSM does increase the potency of other medications, so if you're taking prescription pills, it is advisable to ask a dr or pharmacist about the doses, and whether or not MSM is safe for you with your current dose of Rx pills.

Vitamin C increases the benefits of MSM, as it is better utilized in the body.

Now, after all these facts, I can tell you that I am taking 4000mg of MSM, and I have noticed way less shedding, already, my growth has increased to 1.5 inches per month, and I use Monistat as a scalp treatment as well. The monistat increased my growth from .5 inches to between 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch. the MSM has shown further increase. My nails are growing faster and stronger, and I have noticed marked results in my skin. I have also started using an MSM cream for my skin with great results.

All info was researched on the net before I started taking MSM, and I am too lazy to look for links and or direct quotes. You can find everything I have said if you search though.

pixistixx
November 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I just wanted to chime in here and say, if you do take msm, be sure to buy the loose powder or capsules in a glass container. MSM can absorb the plastic from bottles and you don't want to be taking plastic! also, taking it near bedtime can cause insomnia. SOme people get a detox reaction from it, as toxins that get broken down by it can be coming out faster than the liver can process, so drink lots of water with it and during the day. Aa detox reaction can be mild flu like symptoms, crankiness, mild temporary breakouts, headaches, hot and cold flashes, sweats. If you get rapid heartbeat, you may have a slight sulfur allergy. It kind of started to bother me a while back after taking for a while, then all of a sudden I became allergic to eggs, then onions and garlic.

Spring
November 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
When I noticed an increase in hair growth taking my joint supplements, I started taking extra msm. One capsule of the brand I was using has 1000 mg of msm, and immediately I started to experience terrible headaches. After a few days of having the headaches, I stopped taking the msm and the headaches stopped. About 2 weeks later, I split the dosage to 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night, by opening up the capsule and taking half the powder in the morning and the other half at night. I didn't experience the headaches after that. I've since then cut the dosage in half to 500mg a day since I'm getting msm in my joint supplements. I've read somewhere that msm is a detoxifier, so that might explain some of the unpleasant side effects people are having. I'm also in the process of looking for a better brand... :)

SilvraShadows
November 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM

Usually stinky foods have sulfur in them...

LadyJennifer
November 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I just wanted to chime in here and say, if you do take msm, be sure to buy the loose powder or capsules in a glass container. MSM can absorb the plastic from bottles and you don't want to be taking plastic! also, taking it near bedtime can cause insomnia. SOme people get a detox reaction from it, as toxins that get broken down by it can be coming out faster than the liver can process, so drink lots of water with it and during the day. Aa detox reaction can be mild flu like symptoms, crankiness, mild temporary breakouts, headaches, hot and cold flashes, sweats. If you get rapid heartbeat, you may have a slight sulfur allergy. It kind of started to bother me a while back after taking for a while, then all of a sudden I became allergic to eggs, then onions and garlic.

I'm pretty sure you cannot be allergic to sulfer any more than you can be allergic to iron or calcium. It is the 3rd most prevalent mineral in your body. You can be allergic to foods that contain sulfer like onions, eggs, etc., but not to sulfer in and of itself.

feralnature
November 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have terrible arthritis and used to take Glucosumine MSM. I should start taking it again, I guess.

LocustSpawning
November 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
In response to the theory that MSM has potential to make depression worse - I agree.

I was taking MSM for around 2 months or so (roughly, and only a small amount. A mere 170mg per day) and started to get terrible headaches, which made me feel very low and unresponsive towards work in general - making me feel depressed. Painkillers wouldn't even do anything to stop it - and they were awful.

I wish I could keep taking it for the growth benefits though. *Sigh*

lhangel9
November 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Here (http://www.healthyeatingclub.org/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5g.html) is a link to a chart listing food sources of sulphur.
I really must start taking my MSM again.

wow! thanks!

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
started taking MSM along with biotin and a multivitamin about 2 weeks ago and have yet to see a difference. Some people said they noticed a difference after a month ?

nytquill
December 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
I've been taking 2-1,000mg tablets a day for about 2 weeks now. Currently upping my dose to 3 per day. I *think* I've noticed a decrease in shedding but it's not obvious - it may just be that my seasonal shed is wrapping up, or some other factor in my life or hair care that's causing it. But I'm putting this out as another data point in any case :)

Perhaps the biggest difference I've noticed is I actually feel less depressed. I'm not exactly clinically depressed but I feel down and pessimistic a lot of the time, or I have mood swings from up to down (not bipolar, just I was happy about something in a normal way, and then I think of something that makes me feel miserable and I can't get out from under it). Every day is a big struggle either to stay out of a black mood or to keep going in spite of one.

But since starting MSM I feel more even-keeled and like when something does get me down, I bounce back faster, instead of dwelling on it for days. I feel like I have more energy because I'm not always fighting my moods or trying to pretend I'm okay - I really am okay! And having more energy makes me feel better, which gives me more energy, and so on. I just feel kind of...normal. :D

Again it's too soon to say if it's the MSM or something else, but I can't point to anything else in my life that would have an effect on my mood that has suddenly changed. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, and if it turns out to be the MSM you can bet I'll keep taking it!

I am also taking a B complex supplement, vitamin D 3x 25mcg/day, and biotin 3x 250mcg/day. With the biotin I've dramatically decreased my insulin requirements too - for example, from 1 unit per 3g carbohydrate at breakfast to 1:6. Very happy about that too!

I'll try to remember to report back in a few more weeks to let you all know how it's going.

mira-chan
December 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
MSM does not change my growth rate in any way. It is known to reduce shedding and it improved the quality of my hair, made it stronger.

LocustSpawning
December 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM
What else are you taking, if you don't mind me asking. :)

Eeek, sorry I took so long to reply.
I take Cod Liver Oil (1000mg), a hair skin and nails tablet with Biotin in, garlic capsules, a multivit, and Starflower oil. :)

curls2grow
December 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
I am starting to take 1000mg per day of MSM (no biotin). I am hoping that it helps to make my hair stronger, reduce shed rate (which is really not bad at all right now), and hopefully will help with growth. My hair seems to be growing more slowly this past year or so.

StormVixen
December 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I'm assuming its going to make facial hair grow more/thicker/quicker possibly... anyone had experiance of this? (I dont fancy waxing my tash any more often, it HURTS!)

Vercelli
August 21st, 2011, 11:36 PM
I would like to bump this.

So MSM helps with hair growth. That would be such a relief. I have suffered from hair loss over the last year or so and was thinking of giving MSM a try. Can anyone recommend a brand which is available in Australia? Online or in a shop? I am based in MEL.:)

Mesmerise
August 22nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
You could try http://www.msmaustralia.com.au/orders which has pure MSM and which you can buy online. It doesn't look to be in tablet form, but honestly, I used to take 1 tsp of MSM a day and I think that was more effective and cheaper than buying MSM tablets! (I'd mix it in with water... it was a bit sulphurous tasting but not unbearable).

Vercelli
August 22nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
Thanks Mesmerise! :)
Did it actually make any difference on your hair growth?

Mesmerise
August 22nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Thanks Mesmerise! :)
Did it actually make any difference on your hair growth?

Actually, I used to take a spoonful a day in the days before I joined LHC and measured my hair :o! However, that year I was growing my hair because I'd cut it to shoulders, and it did seem to get a good growth rate, but I can't really compare it properly!!

I need to start taking it again so I can really determine whether it works or not!! (Also my nails grew really well that year - very fast and they rarely broke!)

Ligeia_13
August 22nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
OK, so you're supposed to take MSM on a full stomach because heartburn may occur otherwise. Or so I've read. But has anyone had any nausea? If my stomach isn't full (ie if I haven't literally just put down my knife and fork) I get the worst urge to throw up.

So maybe I shouldn't be taking it?

CurlyMopTop
August 22nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
For the posters from 2010: What is the final verdict? How much MSM were you taking, and did it help your hair's growth rate? By about how much?

I'm totally intrigued!! :D

Hairitic
August 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
Well, payday I'll be buying some MSM. Hopefully I'll be able to find the powder.
Let's see, that'll be no SHS's or Cones, adding Miconazole massages, Castor oil with Grapeseed and EOs massages, Biotin and Evening Primrose Oil supplements along with SMTs and oilings, a Tangle Teezer, a Horn comb and a BBB. I'd better be getting longer, stronger, healthier, shinier hair, LOL!!! :cheese: :D

Vercelli
August 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
I just ordered 60 capsules just for a start. Will keep you posted.

QueenJoey
August 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
I used to use the Trader Joe's brand 2x daily. I tried for 3x, but I'm very forgetful ,and I often forgot to take even twice a day. This was before my long hair journey, so if I gained more growth I didn't notice. My nails grew so beautifully, though, which is like a miracle for me.

Definitely need to go out and get some more. The Trader Joe's stuff is about 5$ a bottle. I'm probably the cheapest person on the planet, so I'm a happy camper with that price!

milk
August 24th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I just ordered MSM powder, hopefully it will come to me tomorrow!
I think I will start with a teaspoon a day for about a week, and then up the dose to a tablespoon daily. I'm just worried about body hair growth.

My nails is already growing superfast and thick, they have always been, during my entire life, why can't my hair act the same as my nails :(.

joesgirl2011
August 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I just started msm 1000mg today. I take prenatals and biotin 5000Mg too and have for about two months. I bleach/dye my hair yikes..I know BAD! Ijust hate my natural hair color mousy light brown. I just love the look of long blonde hair. Anyways..I am using my dark roots to measure exactly my husband measured my hair with a tape measure and since I bleached my hair Aug 13th and now its 11 days later I have 5 millimeters of growth. I am hoping maybe that on Sept 13th I will have a miracle inch with the MSM. Ha ha my husband is trying to make me feel better by saying it's 50 decimeters...lol!

milk
September 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
So I finally started to take MSM today. I'm gonna try not to measure my hair until christmas, but it will be quite easy to estimate how much the hair has grown since I've got bleach growing out.

Malibu Barbie
September 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Back in the 90's I started taking MSM but for different reasons then hair growth. I have really long heathly hair and nails. I have no idea if this has helped over the years. I came here a year ago and found people took this for hair growth. Maybe this is why I can put my hair through so much and still have it look so nice. Bee pollen vitamins really helped my hair and nails. They were called (Vitalerts) great vitamins but the company went out of business. I did notice a slow down in my hair when I stopped these. My hair grew like a weed while taking the Vitalerts.

HuggyBear
September 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I love my MSM! I take Source Naturals MSM Powder. I haven't really noticed an increase in growth but it has definitely reduced my shed rate and keeps my skin clear. I would recommend starting out at a low dosage and increasing it slowly. It can cause some major painful headaches if you start out taking a high dosage.

MsBubbles
September 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Well I'm disappointed! I bought some powdered-form MSM this week and started taking it. I started getting headaches. I took 1,000 mg a day. I also got the flu-like symptoms as well as nausea. So I am giving up on this project. I know some have said these symptoms go away after a few weeks but I am not willing to feel headachey and flu-like for that long! And I have to wonder about something that I willingly ingest and therefore actually give myself headaches with. I spend my life avoiding my migraine triggers and have finally figured out how to do so successfully.

I will wait for this shedding to subside on its own, and be happy with my 0.625 inch of hair growth each month!

BTW: I am also highly allergic to sulfa meds, and it might be entirely coincidental, but this stuff made me feel the same way I felt with the onset of a sulfa reaction. Not pleasant. But at least it didn't give me head-to-toe burn-like rashes.

Cupofmilk
September 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
MSM has helped my shedding decrease. I don't know if that is just me. I buy good quality MSM now which seems to have more effect than the other MSM I was taking before even though both are the same strength. It could be that I had a poor quality batch before.

oktobergoud
September 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I've been taking it for a few months now but I'm not sure if there is a difference :P I'll just keep on taking it..

bunzfan
September 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I may try this again. In fact i will, last time i did it my hair grow about an inch a month. Normally its just over half an inch. I was taking two caspules a day of this one http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=182

Vercelli
September 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have been using one capsule (1.5 mg) every day for two weeks now. The first reaction I got were spots all over my face (I never have spots normally) which now got better (I think). The other thing I noticed is that I was having quite a lot of nightmares recently but I am not sure if there is a connection to the MSM.:confused:

As to my extreme hairloss I cannot say anything yet because it will take a while until one can tell a difference if at all.

Hairitic
September 5th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Well I'm disappointed! I bought some powdered-form MSM this week and started taking it. I started getting headaches. I took 1,000 mg a day. I also got the flu-like symptoms as well as nausea. So I am giving up on this project. I know some have said these symptoms go away after a few weeks but I am not willing to feel headachey and flu-like for that long! And I have to wonder about something that I willingly ingest and therefore actually give myself headaches with. I spend my life avoiding my migraine triggers and have finally figured out how to do so successfully.

I will wait for this shedding to subside on its own, and be happy with my 0.625 inch of hair growth each month!

BTW: I am also highly allergic to sulfa meds, and it might be entirely coincidental, but this stuff made me feel the same way I felt with the onset of a sulfa reaction. Not pleasant. But at least it didn't give me head-to-toe burn-like rashes.

I wonder if Sulfa is related to the Sulpher in MSM and your having an allergic reaction? If that's not the case, perhaps you could take less to start with and build up gradually as HuggyBear suggested?

Quote: "I would recommend starting out at a low dosage and increasing it slowly. It can cause some major painful headaches if you start out taking a high dosage." HuggyBear

teal
September 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
How does one determine which brands are better quality?

MsBubbles
September 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Hairitic! Well I did consider that but honestly I felt so sick I couldn't even look at it any more. So I guess I am unwilling to even try just a couple of grains of the stuff! :p

It's tricky. 24 hours after my dose (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon) I'd start feeling good again, and I'd think 'well maybe it wasn't the MSM making me feel bad', so I'd take another dose and within 2 hours I'd feel absolutely horrible again. Bah.

I don't know if it's sulfonamide-related, but I am one of those people allergic to a load of different things, external or internal. So as much as I wanted this to work, I'm not going to push it.

Ligeia_13
September 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM
^ Are you making sure to take it on a full stomach?

MsBubbles
September 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
^ Are you making sure to take it on a full stomach?

Yes, definitely! I love to eat and am never far away from food. But yes I did make sure I ate it on a full stomach. It's ok, I'm not going to worry too much about it I guess. I will file it under "well-loved LHC hacks that don't work for me", with the Ficcares, wash-stretching and coconut oil :o.

I wanted to report my own experience here just for the record. Please note I am very sensitive to all kinds of foods, plants and chemicals. :rolleyes:

Ligeia_13
September 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM
^ Ah, too bad :) I have a long list of those too :p

celebriangel
September 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have started taking these, in the hope that it will stop my post-birth-control shed. If it increases my thickness or my growth rate too, that would be wonderful!

I'll report back. I currently take a standard, moderate-dose A-Z multivitamin once per day, and a fish oil capsule. I definitely *feel* better on the multivit - recovering from glandular fever, here, and I started feeling better after I began taking it, and my nails are stronger and skin clearer than they've ever been. I haven't been on the fish oil one long enough to comment.

CurlyMopTop
September 6th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm in. I bought a bottle last night in the 1000mg capsule form. I'm going to start off with one a day and possibly work it up to two. I'm game for just about anything at least once. :D

ChristinaDK
October 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have searched a little on the net .. In Denmark it is only approved for dogs and for the manufacture of cosmetics :-(. The MSM you are eating, it is approved as a dietary supplement?

KwaveT
October 25th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I am up to take 2300 mg of MSM. I think MSM is making a different. It has to be either this or silica or both that are having an effect on my growth rate. It has also made my nails rock hard. I won't be using scissors or clippers anymore just a nail file. I have noticed no real change in shed rate. Somebody says it takes about four months to notice that. I have taken them a little over a month.

Hairitic
October 26th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I have searched a little on the net .. In Denmark it is only approved for dogs and for the manufacture of cosmetics :-(. The MSM you are eating, it is approved as a dietary supplement?

Hi ChristinaDK; Yes, the MSM we take is approved as a supplement for humans. I'm currently taking 1000mg/day. It really hasn't been long enough to determine if it's boosting my growth rate yet :p.

Avital88
October 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM
i just bought a supplement with msm in it but now reading that people on here take around 2000-3000mg a day i think my own dose of 400mg a day will not make so much of a difference.
Luckily i also bought liquid silica and i'm planning on taking 30ml a day,what will be a high dose,usually i take 20ml and i noticed over 1,5inch of growth a month which is insane fast,so 30ml will be a real booster for sure..
Well happy growing to all.

Perelka74
April 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I got some today and mine is 1000mg and the I guess I should be taking 3 per day , seams like a lot but I will try.

Amber_Maiden
April 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
It didn't increase my growth rate and I took it fro 8 months.

MissHair
April 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
I bought MSM powder today. I don't have a measuring tape unfortunately but I will keep a close watch on my hair growth! And I have to say that on my jar it says that MSM needs to be combined with Vitamin-C in order for the ingredients to work.

carolinaberry
April 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have been taking MSM for a bit over a week. I know everyone (experts) say it takes quite a while for supplements to show a difference, but in the first week I took MSM, I got a full half inch of growth. I take Spring Valley 1000mg MSM (9 bucks at Walmart)...I took it twice per day for the first week, but for the past 2-3 days, I've taken it 3 times per day. I also take Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins (same brand). Once these are gone, I am going to look for purer/more natural brands, since I read that those are better for your overall health.

PixxieStix
April 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
I am currently in the beginning of another hair-growth boosting experiment that I plan to run for 5-6 months before making any judgement, but if it doesn't work I'll probably give this a try, I'd be thrilled if it even just helped my skin out a bit! But at the same time, if I start the MSM and am doing other stuff and I get faster growth but don't know which one did it, does it matter which it was as long as it's growing stronger and faster? Hmmm.... *goes off to research MSM brands* :D

carolinaberry
April 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Also, I've had to shave my legs and armpits every day instead of every 3-4 days or so.

Vercelli
April 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
It did encrease my growth after hairloss and I only took it for about half a year. I stopped taking it 'cause I got problems with my skin while taking the stuff and I had nightmares every night as well. Dunno why.

morrigan*
April 3rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
I have a question, i can get msm, but it's for horses. Will that be a good idea or not ?
It's said that is 100% msm

morrigan*
April 4th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Anyone, please ?

MissHair
April 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I don't know about the horses thing. But if animals can eat it, so could you, technically. Have you checked if it says LIGNISUL on the lable? Lignisul is said to be the best ''version'' of MSM and suitable for humans. Thats what I take.

Rockferry
April 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM
What are the best brands of MSM supplements to look for?

morrigan*
April 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I was thinking something like that too. I don't know about that, it says that is organic.

Perelka74
April 4th, 2012, 09:25 AM

I read that you need to up the dose . First week the 1,000 and next week double and so on , but I am not sure what the top is . I seen an article that someone takes 10,000 and went from bold to growing hair .

Perelka74
April 4th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Day 3 for me with MSM , I am taking 2 per day and will keep you updated as for any big growth changes . I know it will take some time but 1 inch per month would be great . I am willing to run with it for a year to see if it makes a difference .

MissHair
April 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I dont think brand is too important as long as it says the MSM contains, or rather is labelled as LIGNISUL MSM. The Lignisul is important. It's different than regular sulphur and is 100% pure.

Im on day 2 with MSM. No side effects so far! Im taking 1 gram powder.

ChloeDharma
April 5th, 2012, 03:10 AM
I asked this question on another MSM thread but it seems to have died so i'm repeating it here in the hope someone can answer.

I always say i'm going to start taking supplements but i really do intend to take this now.

One question.....i've heard this about the anagen phase in the past but i'm curious to know how do we actually know this? Have any studies proved this true? Don't misunderstand me.....i hope and pray it's true but i have never found evidence other than anecdotal.

Ok more than one question but.....presuming the anagen phase will be extended by taking MSM will that effect only be on new growth or will the hairs currently in that phase also benefit from the effect?

If i can find proof that it genuinely works (my hair looks really rubbish after it reaches bra strap.....or even before really) i might be able to stay motivated to take it.

A note on side effects. I know when i have taken it in the past in the early days i can feel nauseous, bloated and get awfuly uncomfortable wind. I hear this and other side effects like headaches and if my foggy memory serves me correctly....even moods, are the result of candida die off and the resulting high levels of toxins released into the blood stream from that.
One way to minimise it is to start off on a lower dose and build up over time.....or just persevere and hope it passes soon.

Anyway, as of today i'm going to start taking it again. I've put a bottle on my dining table :-)

Oh another question.....does it go off? I have two in-date bottles but one out of date bottle that expired last year. I'm just wondering if it really matters and is some legal technicality as all things have to have a use by date.....or if it matters. No real drama if i can't take that bottle, i'll pop the powder into DT's or rinses if that's the case.

carolinaberry
April 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I just noticed another side effect...my breasts are tender and firmer, much like in early pregnancy (no way I could be pregnant). I read on here that it can cause breast growth...I don't want bigger breasts, but it would be nice to have the fullness I had before having and breastfeeding 4 kids.

Kitsu
April 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
where would you get this from?

Perelka74
April 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM
does anyone has some updates on MSM?

curls2grow
April 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I've been taking MSM daily for about 15-16 months. I think that did help reduce my shedding; did not give me a noticeable boost in growth (I don't measure). I am trying to cut down on my supplements, so I will finish the bottle I have and then stop taking MSM. If I have noticeable hair loss, I will add it back.

Perelka74
April 10th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I am up to 2000-3000 per day , I run into a friend that I didn't see for some time and she commented on my skin , how great and healthy it looks , I am thinking maybe it is msm and vitamins I been taking . I am sticking to it . I take multi vitamins , special one for hair and nail , msm and vitamin C .

PolarCathy
April 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I just noticed another side effect...my breasts are tender and firmer, much like in early pregnancy (no way I could be pregnant). I read on here that it can cause breast growth...I don't want bigger breasts, but it would be nice to have the fullness I had before having and breastfeeding 4 kids.

May I ask you how much you are taking? The about 3000 mg you wrote earlier or even more? When did you start noticing the side effects? You started the whle thing just in April? I don't want to mess with my hormonal system but I have some MSM I could use up.
Thanks!

ceruleanlove
April 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I ordered a bottle of MSM last week online after hearing about some of the potential benefits, now I'm even more impatient for it to arrive!

Thank you to whoever it was that recommended starting the dosage small and working up :) I'm all for less potential side-effects.

I plan to check back with whatever progress I have. Until then!

carolinaberry
April 19th, 2012, 12:54 AM
May I ask you how much you are taking? The about 3000 mg you wrote earlier or even more? When did you start noticing the side effects? You started the whle thing just in April? I don't want to mess with my hormonal system but I have some MSM I could use up.
Thanks!
I don't think it effects hormones...it helps your body repair connective tissues...so I think my breasts are just gaining back the fullness they had before breastfeeding. The soreness has pretty much gone away from the growth. I noticed yet another good effect---my skin is getting tighter....especially around my waistline. I've been getting a solid .5" of hair growth per week-but it definitely does it in overnight spurts, as do my nails. I can't attribute 100% of the growth to MSM, as I've done Monistat treatments and M-T-G treatments, but it has definitely helped my overall appearance.

ETA: I JUST upped it to 4000mg today. I also added a once per day 1000mg C supplement, because I read it helps optimize the MSM. I don't remember the exact day I began taking them, as we are in the middle of moving and I'm not sure where the calendar I write everything in is at the moment. But, I believe I began at the very end of March or the very beginning of April, because my one-month supply is almost gone.

PolarCathy
April 19th, 2012, 12:56 AM
(...) a solid .5" of hair growth per week-but it definitely does it in overnight spurts, as do my nails. I can't attribute 100% of the growth to MSM, as I've done Monistat treatments and M-T-G treatments, but it has definitely helped my overall appearance.

Thank you for the detailed reply, carolinaberry!

carolinaberry
April 19th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Thank you for the detailed reply, carolinaberry!
You're welcome..I'm a wordy girl. I actually edited it to add more detail just now. Haha.

jaquelines
April 19th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I cannot report about the growth effect of MSM, as my hair almost stopped growing every since I started taking DE, but I can report one negative side effect - I am craving for food during the entire day and I gained 2 pounds in one week. I gained one pound without eating more and than very fast the other pound when I started to eat even more salad.. I don`t know if I should quit taking it or not, but it definitely caused me to be hungry the entire day. And since the first pound was gained while I was not eating more, there must be something in the MSM that is causing weight gain. I hope to find out what.

PolarCathy
April 19th, 2012, 08:05 AM
You're welcome..I'm a wordy girl. I actually edited it to add more detail just now. Haha.

That's no problem ;) much appreciated. Every detail is appreciated!

I checked your profile pics and it took me minutes to decide which one is you and which one is "your 17 year old" :) this was a compliment! :D

Perelka74
April 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I cannot report about the growth effect of MSM, as my hair almost stopped growing every since I started taking DE, but I can report one negative side effect - I am craving for food during the entire day and I gained 2 pounds in one week. I gained one pound without eating more and than very fast the other pound when I started to eat even more salad.. I don`t know if I should quit taking it or not, but it definitely caused me to be hungry the entire day. And since the first pound was gained while I was not eating more, there must be something in the MSM that is causing weight gain. I hope to find out what.

That is very interesting thought , I am on a diet and been on it for some time and been taking msm for 3 weeks now but I am up 7 lbs in the last 3 weeks , I didn't change what I was eating but I am hungry all the time , I thought that maybe I need to up my activity but could msm be to blame.

jaquelines
April 19th, 2012, 11:19 AM
That is very interesting thought , I am on a diet and been on it for some time and been taking msm for 3 weeks now but I am up 7 lbs in the last 3 weeks , I didn't change what I was eating but I am hungry all the time , I thought that maybe I need to up my activity but could msm be to blame.

Exactly. I am now obsessed with eating. Being hungry all time.

oktobergoud
April 19th, 2012, 11:23 AM

OMG bigger breasts? I'm going to take a bottle a day, lol!! No but seriously, I'm taking about 1000mc/g (now 2000) and I haven't noticed a big difference in.. well.. everything. I'd love some bigger breasts though lol!

Woah, that might be it! I'm also hungry ALL THE TIME lately. Mmm...

carolinaberry
April 19th, 2012, 11:48 AM
OMG bigger breasts? I'm going to take a bottle a day, lol!! No but seriously, I'm taking about 1000mc/g (now 2000) and I haven't noticed a big difference in.. well.. everything. I'd love some bigger breasts though lol!

Are you taking mcg or mg? Because 2000 mcg is only 2 mg. I was taking 3000 mg and just upped it to 4000 mg (which would be 3,000,000 mcg and 4,000,000 mcg respectively). Not everything works for everybody but I swear MSM has done wonders for me. And I've just started giving my son w/ asthma and allergies 1000 mg per day (okayed by his PCM) to see if we can help reduce his reactions to everything.

carolinaberry
April 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
That's no problem ;) much appreciated. Every detail is appreciated!

I checked your profile pics and it took me minutes to decide which one is you and which one is "your 17 year old" :) this was a compliment! :D
Ah...thank you. :)

gogirlanime
April 19th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I can't remember if I replied here or not (and I know this thread isn't 100's of pages but I don't want to sift through and check)

Yes, MSM has helped me I take 4,000mg a day (2,000mg of it before bed) with 500mg of Vitamin C, 200mg of Hyaluronic acid, 500mg inositol, and 1,200mcg biotin (and now with 1/4 teaspoon of DE) and my hair grows like a weed, I also Monistat and M-T-G

morrigan*
April 20th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I can't remember if I replied here or not (and I know this thread isn't 100's of pages but I don't want to sift through and check)

Yes, MSM has helped me I take 4,000mg a day (2,000mg of it before bed) with 500mg of Vitamin C, 200mg of Hyaluronic acid, 500mg inositol, and 1,200mcg biotin (and now with 1/4 teaspoon of DE) and my hair grows like a weed, I also Monistat and M-T-G

hijack If you looking for posts from certain member in thread you can go to advanced search on this thread and you have an option to search for name of poster.

NaiadOreiad
May 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I ordered some I can't wait til it arrives!

amanda_the_tall
May 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
i've started taking 4 g a day (when i remember) a week or two ago. has anyone had a hard time swallowing the pill form? maybe it's just me, but mine just get stuck in my throat. could also be that i have allergies, and sometimes i have very slight reactions that make my throat do weird things. hoping this will increase my growth or thicken up my hairs, since i'm a slow grower and a baby fine! :D

gogirlanime
May 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM

I just realized you posted this MSM helps increase breast size. It's not a miracle, if anything it will make them more full but not bigger per say.

Perelka74
May 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
i've started taking 4 g a day (when i remember) a week or two ago. has anyone had a hard time swallowing the pill form? maybe it's just me, but mine just get stuck in my throat. could also be that i have allergies, and sometimes i have very slight reactions that make my throat do weird things. hoping this will increase my growth or thicken up my hairs, since i'm a slow grower and a baby fine! :D

My does sometimes too get stuck but I try to take it with food and lots to drink to get it down , I take 2000 in the morning and 2000 at night . ( 2 pills each serving)

banglaminerva
June 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I remembered that there was a thread here about MSM but I started taking it before finally finding my way here. I started taking 3000mg 4 nights ago. 2 nights ago, I was combing out my hair and no strands of hair shed onto the comb. I was so shocked, I combed out my hair 3 more times to find some shedding! None, not one. This after 4 months of massive shedding. Enough that I mentioned it to my doctor about a month ago.

I've been doing oilings, monistat and taking biotin for about 3 months,so it could be a matter of timing, but I'm sticking with this routine now.

whitedove
June 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I have been taking 3000mg a day a 2 months ago. Not see any differance in growth but my knees have been better.

Aredhel77
June 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I've started taking it again (3g a day) in the last couple of weeks, along with silica and kelp. All of these are supplements I've had success with in the past. Just to be clear though, I don't measure my hair so I'm not sure of the growth rate. But all of these supplements have positively affected me in other ways, especially my skin and nails so I go by that and figure it must be helping my hair.

Sorry - that's all a bit vague and probably irrelevant :lol:

KwaveT
June 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
When I made my post in October I was still on 2300 mg. I increase my dose to 3300 mg a day about three or four weeks ago and I noticed the increased speed that my nails are growing at compared to previous dose. It will take a little more time to see if it changes my hair growth.

KwaveT
June 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
For those that are having trouble with MSM, you may want to divide your MSM into three daily doses. I divide my 3300 mg fairly evenly, 1000, then, 1000, then 1300. I may raise it another 1000 onto the morning dose. For those taking MSM and biotion I read in an MSM FAQ that biotin contains some MSM. You may want to take that into account in deciding when to take biotin. If I raise my morning MSM to 2 grams then I am going to move the biotin to later in the day. This MSM faq answers a lot of questions about MSM:

http://falconblanco.com/health/msm/faq.html

Gingerbear
June 28th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I've been taking this for several months now along with biotin. I think it helps the quality of both my nails and hair. I also think it helps my joints too. Unfortunately, I have not noticed an increase in the rate of growth.

arcane
June 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I skimped on taking msm last month and only got .75" instead of slight over 1" I had been getting. Not forgetting it anymore.

I sometimes have a hard time taking the pills but it's mostly psychological for me. I'm thinking of switching to powered form once my pill supply runs out.

RileyJane
June 28th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Not to completely charge in here....but what is MSM? and where do you purchase it? it sounds very interesting, i would lovee as much thick hair as i can get !

Silverbrumby
June 28th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I've been taking MSM daily for about 15-16 months. I think that did help reduce my shedding; did not give me a noticeable boost in growth (I don't measure). I am trying to cut down on my supplements, so I will finish the bottle I have and then stop taking MSM. If I have noticeable hair loss, I will add it back.

I'm thinking of trying this because of my shedding issues.

akilina
June 28th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hmm I will definitely be reading thru some of the pages of this post.
I started taking MSM but I am so bad at taking supplements that sometimes I forget. I know I wont notice anything if I don't take it consistently for at least 2 or 3 months.
I do feel the benefits physically. My knees are horrible and it makes them not so creaky

Silverbrumby
June 28th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Hmm I will definitely be reading thru some of the pages of this post.
I started taking MSM but I am so bad at taking supplements that sometimes I forget. I know I wont notice anything if I don't take it consistently for at least 2 or 3 months.
I do feel the benefits physically. My knees are horrible and it makes them not so creaky

I have a 'pill box' from the pharmacy I use for my supplements. Load it up each week and it helps. I use fish oil, vit D sometimes, biotin, anti allergy. I'll just add the MSM to the mix.

I've also found that using my google calendar has been fabulous for hair info stuff. Like if I start MSM I'll mark in the the google calendar with 3 month reminders asking how it's going. I did this with biotin and biosil when I started using then. I also put my hair cuts and lengths on there.

akilina
June 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Yikes.....Have many experienced weight gain or bloating taking MSM?
I have felt very bloaty and round in the stomach this week...Wondering if this could be doing it, Or if it just that I am PMSing right now pretty bad?
If so how did you combat it?

akilina
June 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I have a 'pill box' from the pharmacy I use for my supplements. Load it up each week and it helps. I use fish oil, vit D sometimes, biotin, anti allergy. I'll just add the MSM to the mix.

I've also found that using my google calendar has been fabulous for hair info stuff. Like if I start MSM I'll mark in the the google calendar with 3 month reminders asking how it's going. I did this with biotin and biosil when I started using then. I also put my hair cuts and lengths on there.
I use a little pill box too :P For some reason I forget though. Maybe I should put the box by my computer so I will see it everyday and take em. Or I could set an alarm on my phone with a reminder.
Maybe they have a Google calendar app for my phone too.

Aredhel77
June 29th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I use a little pill box too :P For some reason I forget though. Maybe I should put the box by my computer so I will see it everyday and take em. Or I could set an alarm on my phone with a reminder.
Maybe they have a Google calendar app for my phone too.

Methylsulfonylmethane is a sulphur supplement. It may be worth Googling "MSM hair benefits" but is is also said to help skin, nails and joints :flower:

Vampyria
June 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I just bought it yesterday, not to increase my growth rate, but because nothing works to decrees the shedding I have. I hope this works because it was very expensive. ;)

I took 4000 milligrams yesterday, all at once. Thank you for the link KwaveT. :) I think I'm starting with a smaller dose now, and I will divide it in two doses.

JellyBene
August 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I just found some in my cabinet! I'm gonna try it

millyaulait
August 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I didn't notice an increase in hair growth, but...

My nails grew like crazy! :D

vanillabones
August 20th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I take it, and it doesn't make me sick if it is MSM and I read the ingredients. It can't hurt! My hair seems to grow the same all of the time but I think monistat really helped me about a year ago. And I took all my vitamins religiously.

Hairitic
August 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm taking about 2800mg/day for about 6 mos now. Can't say for sure if my hair is growing any faster but I'm definately getting great nails. I had been thinking it was due to the EPO and Omega 3 6 9's I've been taking but since others are noticing great nails with MSM, maybe the nails are from the MSM. Anyway, I'm gonna keep taking it. :p

renia22
August 21st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Has anyone tried it topically? I ordered a sample of the beemine hair serum, which contains MSM. However, I am afraid to try it. I ordered some other products at the same time that I ordered this (sulfate & fragrance free) and my shedding decreased, and I am afraid to put oils & fragrance back on my scalp now. It does seem to get good online reviews, especially from women with coarse/ ethnic hair and hair loss related to hair pulling/ extreme styling.

redtuss
August 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM
I know someone else in this thread said that she was feeling depressed from the MSM - are anyone else experiencing this?
I fear that the MSM might have been a contributing factor to my glum mood in the last months.. But I'm not sure if it's really it or just me trying to explain it.

I have stopped taking it and I think I am feeling better tho. :)
At the moment I'm just taking brewer's yeast and some Monistat about once a week when I remember it :)

silverstars
August 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
I didn't experience depression when I used it before. I stopped taking it out of pure laziness. I think I might start up again, even if it doesn't do much for my hair. A few of my nails have been chipping badly for the past few months and I have some damage that I have been trying to get rid of since June.

JellyBene
August 23rd, 2012, 12:24 AM
Does it matter if I use tablets instead of capsules?

Dang3rousB3auty
August 23rd, 2012, 01:33 AM

OMG! I have been super super hungry the last few days. I would eat and then be hungry couple of hours later, which before I would be completely fine until my next meal. I didn't really link the fact I just started MSM about a week and a half ago. I thought maybe I was going through a weird hungry phase. I wonder if it's the MSM doing that. I have to wonder..am I really hungry or does my brain think I am hungry o.O. Does it make you digest faster or what??

Also about the making your boobs firmer/bigger thing, just tonight my SO said my boobs looked bigger and I didn't really think they did, but he did. Hmmm very interesting. I haven't noticed any changes in hair/nails or skin so far, but it hasn't been very long.

I am taking the Trader Joe's brand 1000 mg a day. I might have to stop if it keeps up with this starving all the time thing. I don't want to constantly feel like I need to be eating.

silverthread
August 23rd, 2012, 03:53 AM
I started taking MSM (powder, NOW brand) three months ago because I'd read that it reduces hot flashes. It definitely worked! If I stop taking it, even for two days, the hot flashes return. It's supposed to help the body process hormones better. I haven't measured my hair growth with a measuring tape, but my hair does seem to be going through a growth spurt and it seems like it has more volume.

silverthread
August 23rd, 2012, 03:54 AM
Not to completely charge in here....but what is MSM? and where do you purchase it? it sounds very interesting, i would lovee as much thick hair as i can get !

Methylsulfonylmethane. You can buy it at any health food store.

velvetvenus
August 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM
I've been taking it since April so too early to see if it has had an impact on growth *s my hair grows faster in summer anyway and I have had a trim BUT I used to suffer from awful hormonal acne and I am now spot free-i am pretty certain it is the msm as I haven't changed/used anything else. I read that sulphur can help acne so I guess this is so. I have noticed my nails are really strong now too so I'm definitely sticking to it. I was on tablets building up from 500-2000 mg a day but now I'm taking the crystals with fizzy vit c as a nutritionist friend told me it would maximise effectiveness so we shall see.... I only started the MSM for my hair after biotin gave me dreadful breakouts.

deltadeliquent
August 23rd, 2012, 04:33 AM
I tried it for a while and didn't notice anything in terms of growth. But I did have horrible nightmares some of which still haunt me. I quit because of this because I didn't want to go to sleep.

whitedove
August 23rd, 2012, 04:45 AM
Stopped taking MSM and my hair decided to grow faster, might be the summer spurt people talk about IDK. Although it improved my knees, I had a weird side effect of pins and needles in my little finger that got worse with time and spread throughout my hand.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 30th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I am still taking MSM..still haven't noticed hair growth increase really. The "hungry" all the time feeling went away, but I think it might have been keeping me awake at night..I am not sure.

I have always had weird sleeping patterns, but I have been waking up every morning at 9 am and -trying- to fall asleep by at least 1 am, but I would toss and turn forever ugh! Then I would get really sleepy at around 2pm and really need a nap. I ended up having to take melatonin for almost a week straight. I decided today to start taking the MSM at lunch time instead of dinner so I am hoping that is going to make a difference. If it doesn't then maybe the MSM isn't the problem.

Asprettyasme
August 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

ravenreed
August 30th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I have been taking MSM try try to help with some joint problems I am having. I have been wondering why have have been ravenous the last few days. It sounds like it might be the MSM doing it... glad to have the mystery cleared up.

MaryO
August 31st, 2012, 04:01 AM
Oh my! I don't need more things (other than my baby) messing about with my sleep! :-) Would still like to try it though. Maybe drink it in the morning?

summer123
September 4th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hi,
Newbie here with my first post! I've been taking MSM for about two months and haven't noticed any changes in my sleep pattern or my appetite... I have been getting 1" a month of growth, although i'm not sure if that's down to the MSM or the vitamins and Silica i've been taking?

MORE
September 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I took MSM for two months this spring. The second month I grew 4 cm instead of 1-2 that's normal for me. I was so happy! But ah, the side effects... I felt hungry a lot more than usual which bugged me. But the real turn-off for me was the bloating. It was okay at first, but after a month or so I became so bloated I could hardly close my jeans! It was a bit scary, felt like I gained weight day by day so I quit. After a week or so I slowly got back to my normal shape...

I hope it works better for everyone else who tries it! My boyfriend tried it too because of the health benefits and didn't notice any side effects at all.

Theobroma
September 5th, 2012, 03:35 AM
To the people who report weight gain and/or incessant feelings of hunger when taking MSM: how much are you taking? The recommended dosage on the stuff I buy is 1000mg/day for adults, and I'm not noticing any weight issues when taking that amount.

I'm not noticing any increase in growth either, but taking MSM <i>may</i> (or may not) have something to do with why I'm shedding less than I used to.

jaquelines
December 23rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
With me it was huge. I was very hungry all the time, I couldn't last one hour without eating and I normally don't have this kind of appetite. I gain considerably weight. Daily.
To the people who report weight gain and/or incessant feelings of hunger when taking MSM: how much are you taking? The recommended dosage on the stuff I buy is 1000mg/day for adults, and I'm not noticing any weight issues when taking that amount.

I'm not noticing any increase in growth either, but taking MSM <i>may</i> (or may not) have something to do with why I'm shedding less than I used to.

clanless
December 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
don't know about growth but definitely helped with shedding issue. I heard that oral MSM is useless but tbh I am pretty sure it's the MSM that's helping me

woolyleprechaun
March 14th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I don't know about hair growth just yet, but my breasts have got considerably fuller :) how odd....

jacqueline101
March 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I bought some I'm going to add it to my line up and see if it helps any.

Rainbow2911
March 15th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Definitely sounds interesting. Well worth a try as it's cheap.

ghost
March 21st, 2013, 06:28 PM
I don't know about hair growth just yet, but my breasts have got considerably fuller :) how odd....

I wouldn't mind getting that result :p I love the clearer skin, healthier joints, and hopefully my hair will grow a little more per month over time...but if I were at least a 32 B I could go get some cute pinup-style bras!

rainfortheend
March 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM
It's been helping me! :)
I've been on it for about a month now and I've definitely noticed an increase in growth rate. I haven't been measuring lately so I don't know exactly how much. My normal growth rate is 2/3 inch per month.
The pictures were taken two weeks apart.
http://i46.tinypic.com/11ch5s2.jpg

Also, less shedding! Yay!

Helenae
March 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I've been taking MSM in conjunction with Biotin, but I think that Biotin is doing most of the work. It's not going to drastically speed up your hair growth, but it will improve
the quality of your new hair growth. The first four inches of my hair nearest to the root is incredible: thick, glossy, shiny and soft. But again, I'm not sure if it's the Biotin or MSM
doing this work.

3 Cat Night
July 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I'm going to have to try some MSM.

lulana
July 18th, 2013, 02:08 AM
I don't have any increasing grow rate but my skin is better and the issues with my back so i will continue taking it :o

Haybop
July 18th, 2013, 04:25 AM
I was actually looking at what I may be able to ask my GP about taking for a few joint issues I've been having and MSM came up... and this thread appeared on here as well. I am already taking multi-vits and cod liver oil capsules but they haven't really helped the joint issue (seven seas, you have failed me!), hence the trip to GP and the questions that'll be asked.

I'm glad to hear there's potential for my hair too tho', good to know there may actually be a benefit to having dodgy knees & hip ;)

maborosi
November 26th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I've started taking MSM because I've heard it's good for the skin.
I'm starting on 1,000 mg per day since I've read that you can get some pretty bad side effects if you start too much too fast.

Maybe I'll get more hair growth as an added bonus?

~maborosi~

Leafy
November 26th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I stumbled across this thread today, and I'm considering trying this out to see if it will help me grow my pixie out, and keep my hair healthy and strong. :)
Can anyone recommend where I can buy some from the UK? I don't know about the different brands though. Some people in this thread have said they have noticed increase in hair growth, whilst others haven't. So if it's worked for you, any advice on what to get?

Thanks! x

Northerner
November 26th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I have been taking 500mg for 2 months, have not noticed extra growth yet. I am also taking 5 mg of biotin for the same period of time. I started taking MSM more for my joints (don't feel any effect either), but extra hair growth would be nice as I am growing out a pixie. I'll switch to 1g per day once I finish this bottle.

blue_eyes
November 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I've been taking 1000 mg a day for a little over 3 months and haven't noticed any extra growth. I think I'll try upping the dosage and see if that works.

I have noticed a lot of new hairs popping up! I'm also using castor oil and taking biotin, so I don't know what exactly is responsible. Pretty sure my shedding had decreased too! :)

louzen
December 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I wonder if it's a big deal whether the bottle is plastic or glass? I want to buy Doctor's Best MSM powder, but it's in a plastic bottle and I read from a previous post that the MSM can absorb the plastic, which doesn't sound good to me! Only problem is, there's not a lot of choice out there with glass bottles. If it's not such a huge deal then I'll just buy Doctor's Best..

goldenlady
December 5th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I stumbled across this thread today, and I'm considering trying this out to see if it will help me grow my pixie out, and keep my hair healthy and strong. :)
Can anyone recommend where I can buy some from the UK? I don't know about the different brands though. Some people in this thread have said they have noticed increase in hair growth, whilst others haven't. So if it's worked for you, any advice on what to get?

Thanks! x

You can buy it in Holland and Barrett. I love MSM - It has deffo increased my growth rate.

Crazycatlady
December 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Okay...this thread made me take my MSM again starting right now. I stopped shortly after I started a year or so ago after I read some where here that it made your thinking slower or confused. I'll give it another try.

Mandie
December 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I have been very bad about not taking my pills for a few months but when I started MSM was when I finally saw a change in growth, at least under my arms and on my legs -- I had to shave frickin' daily! The sad part was I have a sensitive stomach and for the first week I had really bad cramping and upset stomach but once that stopped I was golden. And then I got sick and didn't get out of bed for ages and stopped taking my meds because I broke with my rhythm. So. yeah. But the MSM seemed to be what tipped it for me. I must get back to it. I was taking 1000mg.

Weewah
February 18th, 2014, 11:35 PM
I was on the fence about msm so I wasn't even planning on buying it, but then today I stumbled across some information that it makes your boobs grow and relieves constipation... So yeah I'm sold, I just ordered some of the vitacost brand, mwahaha:smirk:

diddiedaisy
February 19th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I've been taking msm for two months. I started off on 1000 mg but it gave me insomnia so I cut back to 500 mg. I did try to get back up to 1000 mg but the insomnia came back. Also I got my period every two weeks but I'm back to normal now.

I haven't seen any increased growth rate but maybe the dose age is too small, I will try getting back up 1000 mg over the coming weeks.

Oh and initially my boobs did get a bit bigger initially but they were tender like when you are due on lol

lhangel9
March 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
OMG! I have been super super hungry the last few days. I would eat and then be hungry couple of hours later, which before I would be completely fine until my next meal. I didn't really link the fact I just started MSM about a week and a half ago. I thought maybe I was going through a weird hungry phase. I wonder if it's the MSM doing that. I have to wonder..am I really hungry or does my brain think I am hungry o.O. Does it make you digest faster or what??

Also about the making your boobs firmer/bigger thing, just tonight my SO said my boobs looked bigger and I didn't really think they did, but he did. Hmmm very interesting. I haven't noticed any changes in hair/nails or skin so far, but it hasn't been very long.

I am taking the Trader Joe's brand 1000 mg a day. I might have to stop if it keeps up with this starving all the time thing. I don't want to constantly feel like I need to be eating.

My appetite has really increased since taking MSM also! Maybe our food digests faster, like you suggested?

Re the boobs - I have grown 2 cup sizes since taking MSM. I'm busting out of my blouses. My hubby thought that I was trying to play a joke on him until he realized I wasn't joking!!! (went from 34C to 36D). My friends told me I should be happy, but I'm furious!! I used the MSM for my hair, not my boobs.

My finger nails have grown like weeds and the shedding has almost completely stopped. Since I take Biotin also, my skin is breaking out like crazy. (I need to drink LOTS more water).

I'm taking 1500 mg - 2x per day, plus the hair, skin & nails vitamins I'm taking has 750 mg (I take 2/day of those) - total 4500 mg/day:

http://www.schiffvitamins.com/glucosamine-msm-150-count

lhangel9
March 23rd, 2014, 05:51 PM
The only growth rate I've experienced is boob size :mad: