PDA

View Full Version : Question about using a box color over henna

Jamie Lynn 40
March 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hi-
I was thinking of using a box color over recently hennaed hair. I have used this avigal henna several times but it is turning my hair orange tinted and not covering my grey at all. I don't want to fry my hair or damage it in any way.But the gray makes me look so much older. Any suggestions? Please help. I am almost desperate. Thanks.
Jamie:confused:

emmabovary
March 24th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hi!

I don't know which henna you are talking about, but was it BAQ (body art quality)? If so, it should be ok to use chemical dyes over it. But if you've used it several times and only gotten an orange tone and without grey coverage I wonder if it really was BAQ.

How long do you let the henna mix sit before you use it, and how long do you leave it in your hair? Maybe you don't have to give up on henna quite yet :)

Jamie Lynn 40
March 24th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I don't think it was baq I don't let it sit very long at all. I left it on for 3 hours. This henna was for hair and was supposedly safe for chemical treated hair but I am not sure.

dropinthebucket
March 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Definitely strand test. There are substantial threads on using henna (BAQ and box) with chemical dyes over at the hennaforhair forum, and they have a searchable archive. Good luck.

Jamie Lynn 40
March 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
thank u all very much.

melrose1985
March 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Just wondering, If you dont know if you really want to use box dye, but dont like what the henna you are using now is doing for your hair. Maybe try a different henna?

Sabayon
March 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Just wondering, If you dont know if you really want to use box dye, but dont like what the henna you are using now is doing for your hair. Maybe try a different henna?

I agree that you should possibly try a different henna. If you are using pre-mixed colors like Avigal you may just need a color with some brown, since henna can show up bright orange on gray or platinum hair. Read some more about henna over gray here: http://www.hennaforhair.com/gray/index.html

On the other hand, Avigal henna is pure and it is perfectly safe to dye right over. I have done so before. If you are worried about damage you may want to stick to deposit only color like Loving Care (the most gentle), Natural Instincts, or Wella Color Charm.

LaurelSpring
March 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
From everything I've read here it is fine to put box color over baq henna. I have thought about it a time or two. Instead I did play with my henna mix to get my gray a less redish orange color. It takes a little experimentation but was worth it for me.